• Please log in to reply
150 replies to this topic

#81 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 11,653 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 August 2013 - 11:19 AM

Maybe we can get this guy to stand between us and the fuel rod transfer so we'll all be safe.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]319017[/ATTACH]

Looks like they're going with Iceman instead (thank God for the X-men!):

uncanny-x-men-47-iceman-forming-ice-slides-1-100k.jpg

Forming an underground ice dam ain't just a matter of having yourself a bundle of cool kicks, either!

#82 August West

August West

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,491 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 August 2013 - 04:35 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slEI5FVha48

:thumbup: Corbett is a solid source for breaking through media obfuscation and gaining media literacy.

Here's a good site: http://fukushimaupdate.com/

This link is Corbett's Fukushima site (not his main site).

Edited by August West, 16 August 2013 - 04:53 PM.

#83 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 13,878 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 August 2013 - 10:16 AM

[h=1]Fukushima apocalypse: Years of ‘duct tape fixes’ could result in ‘millions of deaths’[/h]

#84 Yodambo

Yodambo

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 36 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 04:30 AM

300 tons of "highly radioactive water" has been pouring into the Pacific Ocean on a daily basis from the plant

1 gallon of water = 8.34 pounds
2000 pounds = 1 ton or 240 gallons
300 tons = 71942 gallons.
2.5 years=913 days*71942=26258830 gallons of irradiated water leaked into the Pacific Ocean, approximately

How many gallons in the Pacific Ocean? 188 quadrillion
26258830 is barely a drop in the bucket. Fear mongering via disinformation.

Fear is the path to the dark side...
  • Elf Salvation likes this

#85 usagolden

usagolden

A Tin Can Banana

• OG VIP
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 10:45 AM

1 gallon of water = 8.34 pounds
2000 pounds = 1 ton or 240 gallons
300 tons = 71942 gallons.
2.5 years=913 days*71942=26258830 gallons of irradiated water leaked into the Pacific Ocean, approximately

How many gallons in the Pacific Ocean? 188 quadrillion
26258830 is barely a drop in the bucket. Fear mongering via disinformation.

Fear is the path to the dark side...

i'd like to think so.
there seems to be a lack of credible information
there isn't even any solutions, no hope in sight

i am tired of seeing that picture of the fallout
how accurate is that?
if it is accurate....what the fuck!?!
that's what makes a part of me think it could be fear mongering
a part of me can't believe that something like this could allow to be an ongoing problem
though most of me knows that they powers want a lot less people.
what better way than a nuclear "accident" {...a homebrew haarp tsunami? wouldn't be shocked}
why is it still a problem today? and worse, why will it be a problem tomorrow?
unacceptable and i don't feel like humanity's best is being done.

#86 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 13,878 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 August 2013 - 11:49 AM

The question comes down to how many radioactive particles are we comfortable having lodged in our bodies. Dilution may actually be working against our collective and individual interests, where the airshed and oceans are concerned. Bio-accumulation and bio-concentration don't bode well for the top of the food chain.

Everyone can have their very own drop in their bucket. There will be plenty to go around. One particle sitting there, irradiating surrounding cells, disrupting those cells' DNA, will be demanding plenty from our immune systems.

There's always the head-in-the-sand approach if we want it. Why worry now, if it takes years to kill you? Drink a Red Bull and smoke a cigarette. Wear your Blue Tooth and jump out of airplanes. Fukushima doesn't have to mean shit.

Do facts equal fear? Or do they empower?

Edited by Alder Logs, 20 August 2013 - 11:55 AM.

• Spooner and 1967FordTitus like this

#87 ernestro

ernestro

minding matter

• Expired Member
  • 680 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 02:38 PM

briliant expression.↑

but we want it!
or even if we don't, the sand is like...3/4 of the "Earths surface"...
and we(or our counterparts of "we") forget, we ARE Earth..her face is ours to wash.. each morning.

... if the upper figures are true, and the contamination in evenly spread, in *could* be measured in what, parts per trillion?
maybe ordinary nasty pesticide isn't damaging at those concentrations, but then again, it doesn't RADIATE.
besides, numbers...there's things #$""$NaN NOT COMPUTE"#$"# #$"#$$

peoples brains "compute", or simulate things very differently. Estimating some things can be hard. Some just don't have ANY "computational feeling"....about how a certain scenario might EVOLVE (the others tend to "overload" on + or - data input)....But the MORE you know..(meaning, facts, not fears)..etc.

...it's like precision of an equation; how many parameters should be eliminated for quicker/easier computation and less accurate reasults? ?
And in case of a RUNAWAY, especially involving a chaotic systems, the difference between STAYorGO could lie on the 7-th decimal (whatever really)
Not to mention a LOT of physics&math is unsolvable unless it's "linearised" into simpler, well, linear terms we can calculate according to the set of rules we've DISCOVERED UUhu huuu.

I don't see the eco-system as a predictable thing. WAAAAy no.
the possible causes&effects can chain up into a blast wave. So what if it travells 25 years to hit the "spot".
  • Spooner likes this

#88 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 13,878 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 January 2014 - 12:02 PM

http://www.globalgiv...jects/safecast/

https://www.youtube....dOkKAeROg#t=286

Edited by Alder Logs, 05 January 2014 - 12:04 PM.

• Spooner likes this

#89 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 13,878 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 January 2014 - 12:35 PM

[Direct Link]

• Spooner likes this

#90 Prismatichawk

Prismatichawk

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 111 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 01:06 PM

Mushrooms that were found growing at Chernobyl can really help this situation, they concentrate and store background radation in the fruits and can be picked and disposed of properly http://www.theepocht...aste-62299.html

#91 Prismatichawk

Prismatichawk

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 111 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 01:52 AM

Also a person some of you may be familiar with has a plan to implement using mycoloy http://petitions.mov....fb&r_by=524798

#92 Spooner

Spooner

Horney Toad

• Black VIP
  • 2,752 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 January 2014 - 02:49 AM

Bioremediation is great and Stamets had done fine work that area. 

Thanks for link i signed peition.

Got family and friends in Japan, China, and Pacific Northwest.  Worry about growing area of contamination. Much worse than Chernobyl

Edited by Spooner, 06 January 2014 - 03:40 AM.

#93 MrGumball

MrGumball

show me do it

• Expired Member
  • 2,339 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 January 2014 - 03:17 AM

So, what do those readings mean?

Not much.

Let’s start by doing the math on what 150 CPM (counts per minute) means.

One Bq is 1 decay event per second. So divide CPM by 60, and you have Bq detected. This article detected 2.5 Bq. But in your body, on a normal day, you have 4,400 Bq.

So why is there radiation found near the ocean, and 5 times what’s on land? Most people have no idea that there are 3.2 tons of natural uranium in every cubic kilometer of ocean. (13.34 tons per cubic mile.) The ocean has a total of 4.2 billion tons of uranium in it. So, yeah. When you go near the ocean, you find radiation. But it’s always been there. There’s also potassium-40, radium, polonium-210. Like the spaghetti sauce, you name it, it’s in there. And it’s perfectly fine. It’s in your sea-salt.

Radiation in the ocean and Fukushima

Edited by MrGumball, 06 January 2014 - 03:21 AM.

• Myc likes this

#94 Prismatichawk

Prismatichawk

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 111 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 03:44 AM

If the readings don't mean much then the atlantic ocean should read around the same levels, anyone able to test this for us?

Edited by Prismatichawk, 06 January 2014 - 03:46 AM.

#95 Spooner

Spooner

Horney Toad

• Black VIP
  • 2,752 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 January 2014 - 04:44 AM

MrG the point is not that there is some radiation there, the point is that the levels are increasing because they failed to consider that earth quakes cause tsunamis so the combined impact should be anticipated and adequate safe guards in place.

This is a direct result of the bright idea that we can make money by boiling water with nuclear fission but be shielded from adverse consequeneces.

"Too big to fail", besides the money has already been taken out of the company and put under a different  walnut shell.

Let someone else pay for the clean up, medical bills, waste disposal, and all that pesky responsibility stuff just leave me MY money, so I can come up with another bright idea.

You need me to supply energy so pay me, but don't expect me to accept liability, you are the one who wanted the energy in the first place,

(Not You Personally MrG but maybe you can understand the scam and understand why it is upsetting)

:tinfoil:

Edited by Spooner, 06 January 2014 - 05:05 AM.

#96 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 13,878 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 January 2014 - 09:59 AM

I, with the feeling of loss and disappointment, am ceasing to eat my loved salmon from the Pacific, as they are at the top of a bioaccumulation pyramid.  I like to eat fish, but don't know where I am going to be getting any fish in the future.  If anyone can show me that Pacific Ocean fish are going to be a safe food source, I would like to know how.

#97 Spooner

Spooner

Horney Toad

• Black VIP
  • 2,752 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 January 2014 - 12:38 PM

Duct Tape those leaky radioactive water tanks.

An exerpt from; http://japandailypre...-tanks-0641871/

Yoshitatsu Uechi (a former TEPCO employee) said that he was instructed to use only four bolts on the lid that required eight. Adhesive tape was then applied to the other holes. “I couldn’t believe that such slipshod work was being done, even if it was part of stopgap measures,” Uechi said.

...One can only hope that this process will be done correctly, rather than in ways that may cut costs but are dangerous in the long-term.

Not looking good for your Salmon or Alaskan King Crab either Alder Logs.

Edited by Spooner, 06 January 2014 - 12:44 PM.

#98 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 13,878 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 January 2014 - 10:54 AM

Arnie Gunderson was on C2C last night.  He says he's not eating fish from the Pacific. 

#99 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 11,653 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 January 2014 - 10:03 AM

Arnie Gunderson was on C2C last night.  He says he's not eating fish from the Pacific. 

Depending on who you ask, "the Pacific" works out to somewhere between 30 and 35% of the Earth's surface. That's a lot of area to be lost as a source of food. And it comes just as I was about to propose a revolutionary idea where seafood is netted along with the swirling plastic that's found in all oceanic gyres now, enabling fish to be caught, processed, and packaged all in one step since the packaging is caught right alongside the fish!*

As for me, I'm gonna eat nothing BUT pacific seafood and California pistachios (a shipment to Japan was rejected last year due to being too radioactive and the isotopes were from Fukushima, so apparently Japan doesn't want its escaped isotopes back; it's chronicled in the Fukushima Diary blog). My goal is to eventually gain super powers, and while chances are small it'll work it seems I might as well look on the possible bright side of the inevitable, however improbable (TV mad! TV SMASH!). Yeah, that'd be cool...

Two more Fukushima-level events and we're going to have to start aquaculture (and regular ol' dirt culture) farms on Mars if we want less-mutagenic food. Europa would be better, of course, but Mars is closer. Maybe we could go space-trawling for comets and drop them on Mars (relatively gently) in order to re-hydrate it ahead of the space freighters full of fish eggs? Good thing they built that Doomsday Seed Vault in Norway, looks like we're gonna need it sooner than we thought.

*Yes, that's a joke... Or is it?

#100 the.seed

the.seed

Be Ready

• Expired Member
  • 27 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 10:25 AM

At least 71 U.S. Navy personnel are suing the operator of the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant for exposing them to harmful levels of radiation following the 2011 earthquake and tsunami.

The sailors became exposed to radiation leaking from the crippled power plant when their ships arrived off Japan’s coast to provide humanitarian assistance. They remained in the area for four days.

The American men and women say they are suffering from radiation exposure and numerous health problems brought on by the exposure. These include leukemia, testicular cancer, gynecological bleeding and thyroid diseases.

.... the seawater surrounding the vessels was also radioactive as a result of coolant leaks at Fukushima. That water was drawn into the Ronald Reagan’s desalinization system, which provides water for drinking and bathing by the crew.

“We were probably floating in contaminated water without knowing it for a day and a half before we got hit by that plume,” Lindsay Cooper, whose career as a third-class petty officer ended five months after the disaster for health reasons, told the Post.

She added that the radiation exposure crippled her thyroid, making it “so out of whack that I can lose 60 to 70 pounds in one month and then gain it back the next. My menstrual cycle lasts for six months at a time, and I cannot get pregnant. It’s ruined me.”

More here: http://www.allgov.co...102?news=852060

This is very real and personal for me. My wife is in the Navy and we will be moved to San Diego in a few months where she will be stationed on a destroyer. It never feels good as a husband and a father to move your family into a nuclear fallout zone.

Edited by the.seed, 15 January 2014 - 10:31 AM.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!