• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Driedplums

Driedplums

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 457 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 03:24 AM

Jimi hendrix has become so revered in today's society that to say you like him has almost become a cliche. But I must confess I still love him just as much as the first day I heard castles made of sand. And after listening to the obscure German release of hush now (with lyrics) for the hundredth time today, I just had to post this.
By the way what's your favourite Jimi Hendrix song?

#2 Unicorn McGee

Unicorn McGee

Psychonaut

• Expired Member
  • 35 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 05:11 AM

1983 the merman I should turn to be

#3 Amroth

Amroth

Freak Of Nature

• Expired Member
  • 171 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 05:32 AM

Red House!

#4 Driedplums

Driedplums

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 457 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 05:36 AM

Cool, it took me awhile to get into redhouse, when I really got into it was when I started watching him play it live in videos.
I love everything he does, but I vacilitate between favorites. Right now Imbin love with hush now, but I think the one truly closest to my heart is castles made of sand.

#5 Amroth

Amroth

Freak Of Nature

• Expired Member
  • 171 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 05:45 AM

i like the recorded version better..
yeah, castles made of sand is great too.. definitely in my top 5.
That whole album is amazing.
Hey Joe is also one of my faves

#6 Driedplums

Driedplums

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 457 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 05:55 AM

Every time I hear hey joe I turn into a head banging lunatic, screaming out every lyric.
Two very good cover versions of that song, are done by Roy Buchanan and dead moon. By the way if you haven't heard of dead moon, they are the greatest punk band ever. No joke.

#7 Bassmeditation

Bassmeditation

Art is my everything.

• Expired Member
  • 745 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 08:45 AM

they are all so awesome, but if I had to pick

Acoustic version of "Hear my Train acomin'"
and the live version of "Wild Thing", especially the first part of the song with him talking to the audience, you can just tell how hard hes tripping by the way hes talking lol.

Anything off the band of gypsies album like "who knows"
Anything off the Blues album
Anything off of any of the albums lol.

My fucking hero.

#8 Driedplums

Driedplums

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 457 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 08:50 AM

Yea, he continues to inspire me to do my own thing more than anyone else, except maybes McKenna. I wonder if Terrence was a fan.
The band of gypsies played great solid funk. Just the right amount of blues rock and funk.
I read recently that billy cox had his drink spiked with a bunch of acid, and freaked out not leaving his room of eating anything for two weeks.
Yea in some concert footage of his you can just tell he's frying his face off. He definitely waved his freak flag high.

#9 doodaa man

doodaa man

getting to know thyself

• Expired Member
  • 1,228 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 08:54 AM

i like the recorded version better..
yeah, castles made of sand is great too.. definitely in my top 5.
That whole album is amazing.
Hey Joe is also one of my faves

yea me too! really got into that when i was junior in high school and just getting to the L and fungus !
I would listen to it over and over and over !

#10 Driedplums

Driedplums

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 457 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 08:57 AM

And over.

#11 Amroth

Amroth

Freak Of Nature

• Expired Member
  • 171 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 09:04 AM

Like i'm doing right now..
Got my album from under the dust, its been a while..

" Wait a minute, something
wrong here
Lord have mercy this
key won't unlock this door
something wrong here!
I gotta bad, bad feeling
My baby don't live here no
more
That's ok, I still got my
guitar..."

#12 Driedplums

Driedplums

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 457 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 09:11 AM

Lol I just remembered a bit off the I believe a live at the filmore auditorium, where he starts talking about eating his woman out, and seeing her other boyfriend walking up to the apartment through the window. Or something like that anyways he just sort of started acid rapping.

#13 Amroth

Amroth

Freak Of Nature

• Expired Member
  • 171 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 09:21 AM

haha, i'll try to find that one..

" Even though my baby don't
love me no more
I know her sister will" lol

#14 McDozd

McDozd

In this moment

• Expired Member
  • 3,660 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 09:56 AM

sorry this is probably cliche
Purple Haze Hands down. Also All Along the Watchtower is damn good.
:hippie:

#15 EstimatedProphet

EstimatedProphet

Bearer of Light

• Expired Member
  • 2,440 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 11:19 AM

I always liked Machine Gun, Bold as Love and Little Wing and everything else.:lol:

Machine Gun live is awesome.

#16 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 13,296 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 June 2012 - 11:32 AM

I was loaded on free acid from the Vortex Festival in Oregon in a small house in a beach town in Washington with several other hippies when the radio station from Portland told us in the middle of the night that Jimi had left us behind. Mourning on acid.

#17 Driedplums

Driedplums

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 457 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 06:49 PM

That's heavy alder, I've read a bit about your life story in other posts and it may be a pain getting old but that's cool you were at that place in time and history when so much happened. You mentioned how heavily your indebted to the hippies, and although I wasnt around at that time theyre legacy influenced me for the better in my life to, and Jimi Hendrix is a part of that. To be happy with who i am and how I express myself, to think for myself, and to stand up for what I believe in.
I see this site as a continuation of those ideals and of that time when for the first time in history people as a whole questioned everything they were taught, and then went seeking for the answers, in the process throwing of the system that oppressed them.
"for we're all bold as love,
Just ask the axis"
:hippie:

#18 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 13,296 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 June 2012 - 07:38 PM

God, just remembering that night, September 18, 1970, in that little beach cabin. I can't remember the guy's names. They weren't locals, just down to the beach and fell in with us beach freaks for a bit. Believe it or not, we called these three guys, "the Freak Bros."

Candles for light. KINK, 101.9 gave us the news. We just looked at each other.
  • Foster likes this

#19 Foster

Foster

cyanophile

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,123 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 11:57 AM

Wow a favorite Hendrix song. Damn that's tough. Jimi is my all-time favorite. Machine Gun or anything off band of gypsies. Voodoo child and chile flat out jam. "Rainy day, dream away, just let the sun take a holiday"
Pali gap is bad ass too. Laughing sams dice, The Star Spangled Banner ( Brings tears to my eyes every time) Just so much emotion and grooviness in the banner. Ain't a single song I've ever heard from Jimi that I don't like.

I went to a Experience Hendrix tribute show a couple years ago. Met Billy Cox, actually got to rap with him for several minutes. The show was spectacular and Kenny Wayne Sheppard tore the house down. Also got a autographed Billy Cox " Last Gypsy Standing" CD, and a old photo of Jimi, Billy, and Mitch on stage. Autographed by Billy. Also got my original BOG album autographed.
If you ever get a chance to see "Experience Hendrix" It's well worth the price. Probably 15-20 performers, who all freaking rocked.

#20 Driedplums

Driedplums

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 457 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 09:39 PM

Man rapping with billy cox! Cool story I've read a bit about the Hendrix tribute tours in the past, but I just couldn't do it. I want the real thing or someone in a small venue channeling the full power of his almighty guitar!
I've heard people express the opinion that Hendrix wasn't as good later in his career, going down the toilet so to speak, I'm always like have you even listened to band of gypsys? There like yea it's generic funk, and rehashing of chords he used before. I give up on talking to these people after this.
Hendrix forever.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!