18 replies to this topic

#1 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,104 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 June 2012 - 11:14 AM

Comfrey has been used for along time for external preparations to help heal broken bones and healing bruises, hemorrhoids etc....
It can be harm full if taken internally causing liver complications do not use this plant internally

https://mycotopia.ne...13&d=1339603843

https://mycotopia.ne...12&d=1339603840

It can also be used in the garden as a companion plant the long root can bring nutrients up for other plants to use and the plant can add nitrogen to the compost heap, it also contains potassium to help plants like potatoes and fruiting plants and trees :)
Also it helps bring bees to the garden to help other flowers and veggies to get pollinated

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_6039.JPG
  • IMG_6037.JPG

#2 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,104 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 July 2012 - 06:09 PM

I found this video there are others too talking about comfrey being used as a fertilizer because comfrey has huge roots that go down really deep pulling up nutrients, so when we use comfrey as fertilizer we are taking advantage of these minerals in the dirt already :)
Just chop the leaves and let them soak in water like a tea for 3 weeks until it is dark green and smelly lol add poop to the water if you wish and dilute with water 1 part comfrey and poop to 3 parts water or up to 5 parts water in some recipes

#3 Il19z8rn4li1

Il19z8rn4li1

Green Thumb Blue Thumb

• Expired Member
  • 3,659 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 July 2012 - 10:58 AM

Hum.. i love it...

but you know what I love even more.... the fact that I just NOW learned about this Comfrey :-D
I love gardening :D always something new and exciting to learn.

I plan on spreading this stuff all throughout the garden as a cover crop.
I like how it has LARGE wide leaves too... this is a nice plus because you can use this plant
as a weed barrier aka Smothering plant to snuff out weeds and cover the soil surface :)

IM SO EXCITED heheh gotta love adding plants that add nutrients.

Generally Speaking... with more and more of the research being done regarding gardening, i feel
that nothing should EVER be BOUGHT to add nutrients to the soil, it all should be grown and composted
or brewed. Simple ---- Easy.. :)

Cheers,
thanks for this WE, always great to learn new things.

• wildedibles likes this

#4 Black Heaven

Black Heaven

The Heaven's Shadow

• Free Member
  • 454 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 11:35 AM

very interesting, wild. Hehe, just wonder, do you have a biology or soil-science (hope it's the right translation) back-ground? ;)
  • wildedibles likes this

#5 August West

August West

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,446 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 July 2012 - 11:42 AM

Comfrey leaves are a great addition to composting. But be warned, comfrey will spread everywhere! Once you put comfrey in the ground, you'd best be prepared to have it take over. I do not recommend cover cropping with it - just my opinion.
  • wildedibles likes this

#6 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,104 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 July 2012 - 01:39 PM

depends which crops morning glory's this was a great cover crop 4 same as pole beans :) just clear a small part where the roots need to sit and later it will shade them again and all is well the beans or morning glory's never wilted they were kept cooler at the bottom
No back ground diploma in this science but I do study the wild environments all the time try to learn them
This is also a great interest of mine wild herbals gardening for food my favorite thing to do and very therapeutic for me too I like to share things I have learned I just am learning how to use weeds to help the garden number one is being a big help leaving vegetable weeds and stalks get left in the garden this provides mulch to keep in moisture and nutrients break down slowly time released nutes
I know many weeds are nutritious I have a diploma in this one ;) so why not eat your weed or if not then add them to the garden do not take away
"I plan on spreading this stuff all throughout the garden as a cover crop.
I like how it has LARGE wide leaves too... this is a nice plus because you can use this plant
as a weed barrier aka Smothering plant to snuff out weeds and cover the soil surface
:)

IM SO EXCITED heheh gotta love adding plants that add nutrients. "

placing these huge leaves in the garden on bare soil ( instead of news paper ) so the weeds cannot come back up threw the cut and placed comfrey leaf
We can match the nutes of the weeds to the vegetables needs to mix and matched for huge weeds like comfrey
I would agree this plant this year was cut back it was 1meter suqared it is better to have it in a separate spot or match it with crops that go up with only little room needed for roots corn may work too not too sure
tomatoes would be a no no I think potatoes wold be a nightmare lol

oh ya numbered one :) would a bubbler still be a great idea I noticed when I was straining this to use after 24hour soak that it was bubbly when I poured I thought this could be sapions in the plant maybe it has something to do with bacterias.... I have a fish tank bubler not in use it is way to loud lol I can easily set this up to work better :) I will add pictures of my pail today to this thread and maybe find the nutrients in this plant
Comfrey tea as a fertilizer is an old old thing :)lets remember these cool and easy ways simplisity
is the bubler nesisary? or is this something like fermenting naturally? I did notice too that there were brown leaves etc I added some and left some out diseased leaves or buggy leaves maybe left out I know there were bugs that is not advoiadabul

http://www.herballeg...n_Chemical.html
this is good about the constituents and how they help cells I think this could aply to plant sells too good info that makes sense it is because of tannins listed as antibiotic and does contain sapions
most of the toxic akaloids are stored in the root so the tops are a better use than the roots which is great for the garden

I remember using the roots externially I had hemmroids really bad after giving birth to my first child I was hurting for a week really bad trying eveything from the store
I looked in my books which I should have done first but anyway I found comfrey root would help
I made a tea with the roots and the roots turned really slimy I wraped them in gause and put them in the effected area imidate relief the muligage properties made everthing feel good lol I was very surprised and they healed within a few days totally gone :)
Be warned I have read and agree that Comfrey will heal the skin so fast it will trap dirt inside leading to infection so clean very well if you cant do not use comfrey
I have used the roots after for scrapes and cuts that were well cleaned just wrapping the wet slimy roots in steril gause like Aloe Vera :) I still like Aloe Vera for deep cuts I healed a cut finger over night ran it under water cut a peice of Aloe Vera gel out of the plant and applied it directly on the cut and wrap gause so it dosnt move healed it closed cause it was done raight away and did not slide off the cut

Sapions in the leaf are anti inflamatory :) hehe can make pain relieveing soap :)
this is why comfrey leaves are great for broken bones make a tea with the leaves and wrap them around the area or a cream applied
This would be a great plant to keep bugs away not too many bug this plant or eat it
and I think it would help stem development maybe even helping with stem break repair? as it helps to rebuild cells new leaf and flower / fruit

Vitamins and minerals found in Comfrey
http://www.naturalne...ey_healing.html
there are many and this is why we can try and match it to a vegtables needs
corn needs these nutes to provide these nutes in what we eat
a tomato needs these nutes found in this weed etc :)....

Edited by wildedibles, 08 July 2012 - 02:13 PM.

#7 Il19z8rn4li1

Il19z8rn4li1

Green Thumb Blue Thumb

• Expired Member
  • 3,659 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 July 2012 - 02:05 PM

from some videos i watch it seems that the comfrey and water would simply ferment in the bucket over
the time span.

Im very interested to see what is in this tea after its composted and then aerated.
research time :)

Cover crop of comfrey might be intense.... BUT cover crop of comfrey in a region that has
nothing would be a great alternative. Like a hill side outside the garden or on a wood line. :D
Would def have a nice supply then.

• wildedibles likes this

#8 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,104 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 July 2012 - 02:20 PM

Wood lines they like this :)
next to a fence or a wall and they like it more damp than wet
they can handle half and half sun shade tree line perfect :)
I could do a half and half 2 buckets with it since my lid will not stay on its too full after absorbing some water lol see what it looks like one bubblier one no bubblier ... maybe trying this on plants in pots ? one bubbles one no bubbles? I do love experimenting :)

#9 Windy

Windy

I like to ride my Trich

• Expired Member
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 05:40 AM

That is cool Spanishfly, giving back to Mother Earth what she provided.
  • wildedibles likes this

#10 gardenboy

gardenboy

Fr̸̡e͟a̡̧k̛

• Free Member
  • 184 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 06:23 AM

Great post! I think I will have to give this a go and find a corner for some comfrey!

I plan on spreading this stuff all throughout the garden as a cover crop.

Have you looked at clover? It is a nitrogen fixer in soil, helps keep weeds at bay, but still allows other plants to grow around it.
  • wildedibles likes this

#11 Il19z8rn4li1

Il19z8rn4li1

Green Thumb Blue Thumb

• Expired Member
  • 3,659 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 July 2012 - 07:24 AM

Spanish-
Nice post my friend, always very informative hehe.
Gotta love good 'ol mother nature tricks.

Gardenboy-
Ya clover is an easy one and one of the most common, people who dont even garden
know about clover, some of them at least lol.
but ya, ever since Wild-E and I have been talking and she has really been pressing the "weeds"
on me I have been doing crazy reading regarding what weeds are what in my garden.

I just this past week went through and IDed almost all of the weeds in my garden, what little amount
there already are lol.

Any bare spots I just fill with some kind of veggie or herb.

• wildedibles likes this

#12 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,104 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:02 AM

Thank you Spanishfly great info from someone who has tried it already :)

I have found another bucket and I will add pictures today of my fert buckets

Any one who is interested in roots or seeds I can find some for them just send MrsH a little love and I can send them to her to send to you or I can send them to u

The seeds are ready by fall I think they can be planted in the fall this is what I did if I remember right ....

if the roots are to be planted in the spring this maybe the best time to dig up and separate the plant b4 it pops up fully?

I can share my patch and have a friend that is willing to share their seeds when they are mature they do not cut their plants back at all so there will be seeds when they are ready

I also know some people that this grows along their tree line a large amount of this plant I want to talk to them and explain how this is great fertilizer for their veggies and see if I can collect some more seeds

Spanishfly have you tried this on your cactus at all ? I have been curious but I do not want to have the cactus to rot on me .... Dont know if this is aproperate for inside plants or just outside plants I know it is really stinky even after a day or two soak

keep forgetting all I wana say

Lupins are like clover in a way the soil bacteria that helps clover and beans helps Lupins too the bacteria help convert nitrogen from the air into Amonia in the soil to help fertilize other plants I have Lupins in my veggie gardens they do not take up large area I dig the ones up that are in the way and work around the other ones I let them self seed and I think the flowers atract bees and butterflys to help polinate veggies :) They are nice to look at flowers mixed in the veggies :)

Edited by wildedibles, 11 July 2012 - 08:11 AM.

#13 Phungivore

Phungivore

ɹǝuoɟ ƃuıʞɔnʇs

• OG VIP
  • 686 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 03:31 PM

you prolly could de oderize these brews by adding lactobacillus serum, or commercial product like EM1, which is lactobacillus plus few other organisms. i highly recommend em1 or any one adventurous enough Korean farming method inputs for anyone wanting to maintain probiotics for there plants.
  • wildedibles likes this

#14 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,104 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 September 2012 - 08:04 AM

Cool ty Spanishfly
I have a ton of dragon fruit babies to test it on ....

lactobacillus Phungivore I am really interested in good bacteria vs bad bacteria yougurt is great way to keep our bad bacteria at bay in our bodys ... Looking for Optimum conditions for my plants to grow from cactus to garden veggies and flowers :) I really want to grow mushrooms and plants together in an Organic type ways I am in no way ready for 100% organic but I am slowly crawling there :) The only instant ferts I used this year was in others gardens ......

I keep forgetting too that I gave a friend some comfrey leaves to help heal us a horses split hoof it was neglected a bit and a friend started caring for it I told him to wrap the comfrey around the split wrap a babnage on it to keep it on for a bit and I looked it up horses can eat comfrey so it is ok to put on the horses leg to give it a try
he said it was working a bit I should check up on them see how well it is working :)

Edited by wildedibles, 02 September 2012 - 08:10 AM.

#15 Il19z8rn4li1

Il19z8rn4li1

Green Thumb Blue Thumb

• Expired Member
  • 3,659 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:05 AM

http://www.waldeneff...ussian_comfrey/

Little more Comfrey info :)

• wildedibles likes this

#16 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,104 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:20 AM

Posted Image

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comfrey
http://en.wikipedia....ytum_officinale
http://en.wikipedia....mphytum_asperum
Comfrey (also comphrey) is an important herb in organic gardening. It is used as a fertilizer and as an herbal medicine. The main species used now is Symphytum × uplandicum or Russian comfrey, a hybrid between Symphytum officinale (common comfrey) and Symphytum asperum (rough comfrey).

#17 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,104 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 June 2018 - 06:32 AM

The horse is doing great almost runs as fast as her brother again ....the farmer still takes it easy on her

I gave my friend lots of this the first year for this horse told him she can eat some and she did eat a little bit of it and he made tea and wraped the soft cooled leaves on the horses leg / hoof when it was bugging her the first year a few times 3-5

2nd year she was doing well when I went and got poop that spring the farmer came to me and thanked me for giving my / our friend the leaves for the horse and I heard some storys about how his grandmother knew that type of stuff ;)...
... I gave them more leaves so if she needed them they had them I believe they only used them once or twice

comfrey leaves are hard to dry its best done on the hot dry summer days not damp days or they will just rot

lay them seprate dont over lap leaves or they will rot comfrey leaves have a big stem that has lots of water pressing them has worked for me ....juicing and maaking cream or salve works too ....maybe frezing the leaves would work they would come out wet and ready to wrap after defrosted ;) ??

#18 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• App Administrator
  • 5,437 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 June 2018 - 02:11 PM

I just started
With comfrey this year.

Very prolific grower.

Most say for the garden that 6 plants will do more than enough for your needs.

I have 2 but next year I will have more!
  • wildedibles likes this

#19 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,104 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 June 2018 - 12:12 PM

I only have one plant and its enough for my small yard and gardens and herbal health issues too.... I have been growing it for 5-10years and when its done growing in the fall its ayard stick tall and wide it does grow well

I do fertilize it with the fertalizer I make with it and adding bannana skins and egg shells .....I like mulching it with burdock leaves just cuz the burdock grows beside it and you doont want burs everywhere easy pick and lay
.... usually gets a little bit of compost or poop when the gardens get it

I dont dig the root out just cuz I dont wanna bug the plant and the root isnt used as much as the leaves in my house anyway

Edited by wildedibles, 12 June 2018 - 12:17 PM.

• PsyBearknot likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!