25 replies to this topic

#1 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,163 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 June 2012 - 07:21 PM

This was another cooking herbal I found in my garden when I bought this house It is a large established shrub :)
This is very yummy in cooking fish it can be used like lemon in deserts or when cooking anything that calls for lemon you can use lemon balm
I think this is a herbal that boosts our immune system, it is good for colds and flu or just adding lemon to your tea ;)
It has a beautiful lemon smell

https://mycotopia.ne...01&d=1339805912
This is one of my favorite herbals now with my Oregano too I cook with them a lot

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_6408.JPG

• Boebs likes this

#2 Norman

Norman

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 810 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 08:12 PM

Great stuff! Major component in my absinthe. It's mildly psychoactive on its own.

#3 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,737 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 June 2012 - 08:17 PM

The anti-bacterial properties of this plant intrigue me. I've oft thought of trying to use the leaves and/or chipped stalk of Lemon Balm for fungal projects. It's one of those plants that is very mold and rot resistant , it also contains citronella which repels insects.

Thanks for sharing.
  • wildedibles likes this

#4 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,163 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 June 2012 - 08:17 PM

I didnt know that thanks for adding how much do you need for it to work mildly ?
I have chewed on a leaf or two raw but I havent tried more than that usually lay it on my meat and cook it each peice of meat gets a leaf or two :)
Maybe go makey me some tea ;)

Your welcome and I would agree in the spring the plant usually has no mold what so ever I usually leave the dead material there while the new shoots come out because the old stuff helps hold up the new stuff but that is a very interesting thought for mushroom grows thank you :)

#5 shroomhunt

shroomhunt

The Snake Man

• Expired Member
  • 895 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 08:26 PM

I read an article yrs ago that said drinking lemon balm tea improves memory or brain cognition. I don't know about the validity of that article or where it was from now but hey could be true.

#6 daytryptr

daytryptr

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 104 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 08:28 PM

Lemon balm is a damn good medicinal herb.

I like the gabergic properties it has as a gaba-transaminase inhibitor. Its a pretty effective mood enhancer in my experience. I used to drink tea of the fresh leaves a few times daily, and still do on occasion now. Its also a very good sleep aid. Tasting good is definitely an added benefit as well :eusa_danc

#7 Fly on the Wall

Fly on the Wall

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 74 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 04:24 PM

The essential oil is really great for insomnia; I accidentally included some fresh leaves in my morning tea a few times and it wasn't until I did some research that I realized why I was nodding off at my desk!

#8 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 6,723 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 June 2012 - 05:04 PM

One of my favorite herbs in the yard. I like to crush a few leaves when I am outside just to smell. it makes me smile.

#9 Bassmeditation

Bassmeditation

Art is my everything.

• Expired Member
  • 745 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 09:28 PM

I heard it was close to valerian root and catnip in its effects. I mixed some in with my valerian root but couldnt tell much of a difference. I love the plant I have, its bushing out like crazy. Cool!

#10 flickedbic

flickedbic

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 327 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 10:25 AM

Its a pretty effective mood enhancer in my experience.

I've heard this before also...

accidentally included some fresh leaves in my morning tea a few times and it wasn't until I did some research that I realized why I was nodding off

Picking in the morning would likely yield the highest amount of essential oils...

Healthy, happy, relaxed and tasting goodness... This sounds like a lovely ally.

Blessings.

#11 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,163 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 June 2012 - 10:49 AM

I usually pick them at supper time when it is cooling off again a bit I love going out into the herbal garden picking what I need for supper but there is proper times to pick it for best potency like in the morning just after the dew is finished drying on the plants so they will not mold when you dry them
I forgot about its mood enhancing effects I have experienced them too and the antibacterial or immune system booster this had worked for me as well its been so long ago I forgot I usually use them in cooking cause they taste good :)

Oh I remember a great story :)
My friends grandma passed away many years ago he was sooo close to his grandma and it was soo sudden she wasnt even sick it broke his heart he was sooo sad she was the only one that understood and cared for him and his kids
I remember reading that Lemon Balm was good for lifting ones moods .... I thought of what could I make with Lemon balm :)
Lemon pie so I cooked it up but I added Lemon balm to the lemon pie filling ....

since the grandmother did all the baking my friend and his grandfather just loved this pie I told them it is for you 2 only and told them I added a herbal for the taste and to help lift your spirits cause I understand how tough it was on you 2
Well after eating their desert they were sharing great memories about Grandma they were smiling and letting her go with fond memories to share it really helped them a lot my friend was prone to depression and it did help him I can't believe I almost forgot that story :)

Edited by wildedibles, 19 June 2012 - 10:58 AM.

#12 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,163 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 October 2012 - 09:21 AM

http://en.wikipedia....ssa_officinalis
There is lots of info in there some great stuff :) had to share I didnt know but here is a blurb

"Lemon balm and preparations thereof also have been shown to improve mood and mental performance. These effects are believed to involve muscarinic and nicotinic acetylcholine receptors.[12] Positive results have been achieved in a small clinical trial involving Alzheimer patients with mild to moderate symptoms."
muscarinic receptors hummm Amanita muscaria helps me with my Anxiety issues very interesting :) and using this ( dried stalks in mushroom grows i think would be very fitting :))

#13 flickedbic

flickedbic

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 327 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 09:03 PM

I have not only heard rave review for strong Lemon Balm teas; but also that smoking/vaping was effective also. So when I had my Lemon Balm plant in California; I could often be found pulling leaves off and vaping them with a magnifying glass when we were short on herb. That satisfactory effects were found even with a high MMJ intake leads me to believe this plant truely carries good potential.Blessings.

#14 shade-of-deep-purple

shade-of-deep-purple

Psychedelic Musician

• Expired Member
  • 360 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 09:32 PM

I make tea with plant too. I have a spot where it's planted and it comes back each year. :hippie:

It's supposed to be psychoactive!? I've never noticed any effects from drinking it?

#15 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,163 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 October 2012 - 06:40 AM

I havent eaten that much at a time so I have never felt these effects
but that said if it helps our brains there might be something too it
Also if it deals with the receptors listed above there has to be something too it ;)

#16 caitojones

caitojones

The Space Pope

• Expired Member
  • 479 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 08:49 AM

I don't know the specific taxonomy of lemon balm, but considering how similar it looks to catnip, I'd say the two species are probably related. And catnip is definitely psychoactive (kind of like smoking some shitty pot.) I never tried smoking lemon balm, but I might have to try it now. Catnip and lemon balm are both incredibly easy to grow and spread like wildfire. They might even be considered invasive.

#17 shade-of-deep-purple

shade-of-deep-purple

Psychedelic Musician

• Expired Member
  • 360 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 10:58 PM

I don't know the specific taxonomy of lemon balm, but considering how similar it looks to catnip, I'd say the two species are probably related. And catnip is definitely psychoactive (kind of like smoking some shitty pot.) I never tried smoking lemon balm, but I might have to try it now. Catnip and lemon balm are both incredibly easy to grow and spread like wildfire. They might even be considered invasive.

Ya, I had heard that about catnip, but I've never even considered smoking it. It would just feel silly. I knew a girl in high school who talked about and I think actually went through with it. I thought the idea was really stupid and that it wouldn't work. I just figured it was one of those things like the kids who thought they got high of sniffing white out. :lol:

#18 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,163 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 November 2012 - 06:03 AM

LOL I never thought about smoking it lol ok It could work simular to catnip I see that working simular

I have tried smoking several herbals like sage I think I might have smoked catnip stuff like that .... maybe I will try it that way see how it is :)

I just took the 2nd cuttings off this plant to dry the other day it smells so good it might be a nice smoking additive see how it works with my moods

I had this tea yesterday morning with chamomile it was really yummy and my anxiety b4 going to my appointment was good didnt have an anxiety attack at all and I usually have anxiety b4 appointments so I am very happy how this herbal works :)

#19 shade-of-deep-purple

shade-of-deep-purple

Psychedelic Musician

• Expired Member
  • 360 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 10:32 AM

I've also got spearmint growing wild here and it is very similar. I usually mix some spearmint in with my lemon balm tea mix.

#20 flickedbic

flickedbic

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 327 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 09:58 PM

"It's supposed to be psychoactive!? I've never noticed any effects from drinking it?" Maybe it is from a loss of volatile oils... try a ginseng cooker or just pour hot but not boiling water over the leaf matter(powder?) and then cover the cup with a plate to prevent evaporation. Some butter in the tea for any fat solubles? Mix with Lecithin, MSM maybe?

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!