• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 lucysmiling

lucysmiling

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 285 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 01:28 PM

I was wondering where are the best areas in florida to hunt mushrooms during rainy season. i have friends in lakeland which is by tampa florida do you know any good area in this area? or around here. i need help finding the right time maybe july im thinking when theres more rain..photos of cow fields or anything would help thanks.

#2 shroomhunt

shroomhunt

The Snake Man

• Expired Member
  • 895 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 07:59 PM

Horse and cow fields with low moist tree lines or dense wooded areas within the fields is best but the goods can be found out in the open but not as densely. Wait until after a few days of solid good rains between may and September for best chances but they can be found throughout the year in fl. I've seen cubes growing in 40 degree weather here in fl but its uncommon. I also have hunted in what seemed like the best of conditions and came out with zero or just a few. It's always hit or miss but summer after good rain is best. Good luck.
  • Boebs likes this

#3 dead_diver

dead_diver

Stoned Since '76

• OG VIP
  • 3,533 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 June 2012 - 09:37 PM

Welcome to Florida...come on vacation and leave on probation! Nobody is going to give you directions to fields. There have been too many inconsiderate people damaging fences, letting livetock loose and littering over the years and ranchers are very unfriendly. You're friend is in a good area but in all honesty I advise against tresspassing in fields. Here is a good website that will give you more insight on shrooming in Florida North Florida Shroom Guide http://www.jug-or-not.com/shroom/. As for fresh mushrooms being legal in Florida this is true but you will be charged with a crime until you prove you are innocent $$$. The cops will also charge you with tresspassing and for any damage to property wether you caused it or not and your vehicle will be impounded $$$. They are also charging people with possession of LSD for having shooms and a jury of blue hairs will find you guilty of this unless you get a lawyer $$$ and even then they may still find you guilty regardless of mountains of proof saying otherwise just because they don't like our kind much down here. Even though larger towns and cities in Florida seem cosmopolitian and have a large number of people from many different parts of the country living in them as soon as you get 10 miles into the contryside you are in redneck hell. Unless you speak with a southern drawl and chew tobacco you will stick out like sore thumb. If you still decide to go shrooming do not park a car near the field, cops look for that. Bring a cell phone and have a friend drop you off. Do not go to a field that you can be seen from a house or the road. Do not damage fences, harass livestock or litter. It's best if you go with only one other person. The only reson I dont recomend that you go alone is because you may need someone to get help if you get injured. There are venemous snakes, mean ranchers with shot shells full of rock salt, alligators, angry bulls and plenty of holes to step in when it's dark that you can break a leg in. It's also a good idea to wear cammo clothing and use mosquito netting and plenty of bug repelant spray. If you use a flashlight geta red filter for the lens. Good luck and have fun! Question: Cowboy, Can you Prove that Psilocybes are Legal in Florida?
Answer: Yes!!! Please see the following link which is cited from the Florida Supreme Court. This Case is the binding law on possession of FRESH psilocybes in Florida Fiske Vs. State of Florida. Ok, now I need to state something here really clear. That does not mean you will not get arrested. Police arrest people all the time even when not breaking the law. Fiske simply gives you the tools to be found innocent or acquitted if you are charged with something like possession of illegal contraband. Recent reports coming from Sarasota, Charlotte, and Manatee counties are that FOLKS ARE BEING CHARGED WITH POSSSSION OF LSD in an effort to scare them into signing up for Drug Court..

Edited by dead_diver, 18 June 2012 - 11:07 PM.

• anne halonium and AlteredEgo like this

#4 shroomhunt

shroomhunt

The Snake Man

• Expired Member
  • 895 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 03:46 PM

Very good points there D_D I've never been caught but don't want to either. It's weird that they can charge you for a substance not even the substance at hand. Scary! Be careful yall wanna be free if you wanna enjoy your spoils. And yes no ones gonna direct you dead to a field not only because its not smart but that most people prize there good spots and keep them secret especially so no one you tell ruins the spot with a capture by police or any negative reason for that matter.

#5 Cue

Cue

Chat Head

• OG VIP
  • 8,288 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 June 2012 - 06:36 PM

Everything Dead_diver said is true. And as for the rock salt, you'll be lucky if it is only rock salt. We still have cattle rustlers down here.
As for your car, a canoe is a good option. The farm houses are usually located near the road but you can find plenty of miles of river with no houses anywhere around. And you can usually find brush to conseal the canoe. Also even if you don't find anuy shrooms you can have a great day out on the water. Also with no motor BUI isn't an issue either. Maybe catch a few fish too.

#6 dead_diver

dead_diver

Stoned Since '76

• OG VIP
  • 3,533 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 June 2012 - 08:07 PM

Check out fields off the main roads and stay away from large fields near highways. Smaller fields produce better than large ranches. Best ones are usually smaller pastures in low laying areas (use a topo map to find them). Look for fields with small lakes or sinks and lots of live oaks around the perimiter and small live oak hammocks throughout the field. Spanish moss seems to be a indication a good area. If it looks like the environment gnomes and elves would be happy living in you are on the right track. Don't ask me to explain that, you'll know it when you see it. Stick to the tall grass around and just under the tree line because the microclimate with shade and humidity are best there even when the sun is high and blazing hot. There are thousands of cow pastures in your area you just need to find one that is secluded. Remember never park a car anywhere near a pasture because the cops all know where the good fields are and they look for parked cars. Have someone drop you off and call on a cell to get picked up. Also stash you bag of shrooms while waiting to get picked up. You may even want to get picked up and drive around a while to see if you get pulled over by the cops before you go back to grab your stash of shrooms and make your getaway. When I was younger I used to go shrooming all the time. I was lucky and never got arrested but I can't count the number of times I've been caught tresspassing. I've been interrogated by ranchers with guns pointed at me, been threatened with arrest and have also come close a few times to having the living shit kicked out of me in the middle of a pasture. Being polite and apologetic saved my ass every time. If you do get caught by a rancher and he asks your name and address don't lie to them. It happened to me once and after I told him who I was and where I lived I was let go. Before I could get in my car and drive off the rancher drove up and blocked me in with his truck. He got out and asked to see my drivers license to see if I lied to him. I asked what would he have done if I had lied and he told me "you don't want to know" LOL Have fun shrooming!

Edited by dead_diver, 19 June 2012 - 08:46 PM.

#7 lucysmiling

lucysmiling

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 285 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 02:09 PM

cool thanks alot for all the help and replys its not raining much over here right now but i will lie low until it does. i found one good field the other day and was leaving when the sun was coming down with my 2 other buddies and we saw a light where the fence and road was and where our bags were. Later we found out that it was the police and they took my friends bag and it was a lady talking to them and they obviously knew someone was in the field and so we had to ditch everything hop fences we rain into a mean dog and into some swampy marshes to get away but we somehow managed to escape from it all.

i will have to be more stealth next time and find a better field cause that pasture was really dry and i was suprised cause its already late june and theres not much rain around, althought its supposed to rain this whole next week.

thanks again for the help.

#8 Cue

Cue

Chat Head

• OG VIP
  • 8,288 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:26 PM

Well you should have gotten your rain today (Wed.) and it should hold for a couple more days too.By Saturday they should be popping good. I recommend going early soon after the sun comes up. I use to get there so early I would have to wait for the sun to be able to see. I remember plenty of days sitting there in the morning swatting blood thirsty skeeters.

#9 anne halonium

anne halonium

Trolls'R'us

• Banned Member
  • 3,410 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:31 PM

dead diver and cue are dead on 2x

we hunted in an august , outside gainsville in 1989,
and, we hired a pro local guide.

every danger diver and cue warn about , is real.

#10 AlteredEgo

AlteredEgo

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 17 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 12:19 PM

Kiwi Tee.jpg        Good advice d d...now I need to follow it...I have a good spot scouted out. I don't need to be arrested and it is a game for the cops too...what is the point in their game catching someone only to release. I posted on another thread about the time 1970's central Florida when we were confronted in a field with grocery bags with mushrooms by a good ole boy that flashed his sheriff deputy badge. We were respectful and honest, told him picking mushrooms, I am sure he knew which type. He told us to leave the field and we kept out mushrooms...can't imagine that happening today. As for cold calling and asking the land owner is today's society  ,lawsuits etc....it is easier to just say no.I have not eaten mushrooms in 40 years but am ready again. Going with someone else for safety is good suggestion as I am 71,but in good shape. That however complicates things by one and really two if a drop off later pick up is involved ...see something simple is getting complicated ...check out the detail of the silk screen 1975

• Boebs and Mrenos like this

#11 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 13,069 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 May 2019 - 04:53 PM

AE, you are the first post in this thread in nearly seven years.  Hey, youngster, I've been 72 since February. 

• AlteredEgo and Mrenos like this

#12 Boebs

Boebs

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 218 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 07:38 PM

Florida has manyy beautiful places you can legally access feilds. No need to trespass. Just hunt the right locations
I dont mind telling people feilds as long as i know they will be responsible and respectful, as ive traveled all of central Florida's best feilds. Scouted the whole state really
  • AlteredEgo likes this

#13 AlteredEgo

AlteredEgo

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 17 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 07:56 PM

Florida has manyy beautiful places you can legally access feilds. No need to trespass. Just hunt the right locations
I dont mind telling people feilds as long as i know they will be responsible and respectful, as ive traveled all of central Florida's best feilds. Scouted the whole state really

I might take you up on that...I don't know if you can search a persons posts ,I'd rather not repost my recent descriptions and past,but if you can't find them I'll summarize again....Bradenton..

• Boebs likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!