#21 warriorsoul

warriorsoul

Retired Moderator

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,802 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 April 2015 - 01:04 PM

Those spores are brown, Happy. the lighter part is where the gills were touching the cardboard. Do you have a larger photo of the mushroom itself?

• riseabovethought and Alder Logs like this

#22 happy4nic8r

happy4nic8r

cyans rule!!

• OG VIP
  • 3,618 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 April 2015 - 01:19 PM

I took a sample and looked at it under the microscope to verify the white spores and the weird shape, I can't find that picture, but I can do it again. I think the brown stain was from the wetness or??

I could be wrong......

#23 warriorsoul

warriorsoul

Retired Moderator

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,802 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 April 2015 - 01:46 PM

The lighter part appears the same color as the cardboard. You can see on the edge where some off the brown spores have been scrapped away. The staining is a separate issue. Do you have a photo of the mushroom itself?

Edited by warriorsoul, 29 April 2015 - 01:47 PM.

#24 happy4nic8r

happy4nic8r

cyans rule!!

• OG VIP
  • 3,618 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 April 2015 - 01:52 PM

My avatar, but I'll see if I can find the original..........

That's not going to be easy, I'll have thousands to look through, but I will.

in the meantime could you maybe ID this one? (also white spores.)

apr7 (1).JPG

I'm also firing up the computer to take pictures of the spores and will post them momentarily.

Edited by happy4nic8r, 29 April 2015 - 01:53 PM.

#25 riseabovethought

riseabovethought

innerspace explorer

• App Administrator
  • 4,243 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 April 2015 - 01:58 PM

Death Cap ( Amanita phalloides)

145379-004-EFA60173.jpg
death cap mushroomcredit: © Dariusz Majgier/Shutterstock.com
Perhaps the deadliest of all mushrooms, thedeath cap is found throughout Europe and closely resembles edible straw mushrooms and caesar’s mushrooms. Its heat-stable amatoxins withstand cooking temperatures and quickly damage cells throughout the body. Within 6 to 12 hours after consumption, violent abdominal pain, vomiting, and bloody diarrhea appear, causing rapid loss of fluid from the tissues and intense thirst. Signs of severe involvement of the liver, kidneys, and central nervous system soon follow, including a decrease in urinary output and a lowering of blood sugar. This condition leads to coma and death in more than 50 percent of the incidents. Notable deaths include Pope Clement VII, who died of accidental death cap poisoning in 1534, and possibly Roman Emperor Claudius in 54 CE.

Edited by riseabovethought, 29 April 2015 - 01:58 PM.

• CatsAndBats likes this

#26 warriorsoul

warriorsoul

Retired Moderator

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,802 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 April 2015 - 02:45 PM

My avatar, but I'll see if I can find the original..........

That's not going to be easy, I'll have thousands to look through, but I will.

in the meantime could you maybe ID this one? (also white spores.)

attachicon.gifapr7 (1).JPG

I'm also firing up the computer to take pictures of the spores and will post them momentarily.

I would be inclined to call them Lactarius substriatus if you found them in the PNW. It would be more appropriate if you started your own thread.

Edited by warriorsoul, 29 April 2015 - 02:48 PM.

#27 riseabovethought

riseabovethought

innerspace explorer

• App Administrator
  • 4,243 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 April 2015 - 03:49 PM

[Direct Link]

#28 happy4nic8r

happy4nic8r

cyans rule!!

• OG VIP
  • 3,618 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 April 2015 - 04:06 PM

Got the spores on film, they seem to be dark brown but even the brown splooge turns them out as white spores.

Don't know why the brown is there, but maybe like cannabis buds aren't really green under the microscope.

Color is a relative thing.+

Apologies riseabovethought, (I'm not going to abbreviate you name)

ap1.jpg                              ap2.jpg                      ap3.jpg

#29 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 15,028 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 April 2015 - 04:08 PM

Those spores are brown, Happy. the lighter part is where the gills were touching the cardboard. Do you have a larger photo of the mushroom itself?

I agree.  White spore on cardboard would be white.  I collect my shiitakes in cardboard boxes and try to keep them upside down in the boxes just to avoid the white getting on the bottom of the boxes.   

It does look like the gills were touching the cardboard and actually having their edges folded over making the wider parts of the spore shadows. 

Edited by Alder Logs, 29 April 2015 - 04:09 PM.

• warriorsoul likes this

#30 happy4nic8r

happy4nic8r

cyans rule!!

• OG VIP
  • 3,618 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 April 2015 - 04:43 PM

I agree with the initial view, but this is the second time I have taken the microscope view of these "brown" spores, and if I'm not seeing white spores, then strike me blind.

Okay, they have a brown tinge, but I am pretty certain of the species, A phalloides, the print was taken from the center one in the picture in my avatar.

#31 TurkeyRanch

TurkeyRanch

Dancin' Deviant

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,930 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 April 2015 - 04:45 PM

I have printed a few death caps and destroying angels, their prints look a lot like oyster spores, very white and thick, sticky.

I have found both species on the left coast, the death cap being much more prevalent from what I can see. I also found a jack-o-lantern in a pile of chanterelles some friends of mine picked. People should be careful, if they are only going to learn to ID a few species, they should learn the dangerous ones in their area. I admit I am a slouch when it comes to studying ID, but I know all the poisonous ones. I don't even touch death caps, I poke at them with sticks when I want to mess with them because I smoke, and I forget to wash my hands sometimes. I don't want any of that inside me.
  • Mycomaniac2007 likes this

#32 happy4nic8r

happy4nic8r

cyans rule!!

• OG VIP
  • 3,618 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 April 2015 - 04:51 PM

That's sort of funny Turkey Ranch, when I was trying to scrape some spores off to view I was drinking a beer and thinking now, lick your finger, then put it on the knife, and put the knife in your mouth, and lick off.....wait a minute......put the wet on the cardboard, and lick off the spores........wait a minute, lick the knife, scrape the spores off with the knife, put them on the slide then cover them and the wash your freaking hands........you big dummy LaMonte.\\.

#33 warriorsoul

warriorsoul

Retired Moderator

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,802 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 April 2015 - 04:58 PM

I agree with the initial view, but this is the second time I have taken the microscope view of these "brown" spores, and if I'm not seeing white spores, then strike me blind.

Okay, they have a brown tinge, but I am pretty certain of the species, A phalloides, the print was taken from the center one in the picture in my avatar.

The avatar pic is too small to recognize what species it is. Amanita spores will be translucent and white under a microscope unless they have been treated with a reagent of some sort. Other species can be translucent as well.

Edited by warriorsoul, 29 April 2015 - 05:02 PM.

#34 happy4nic8r

happy4nic8r

cyans rule!!

• OG VIP
  • 3,618 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 April 2015 - 05:27 PM

So these are brown, translucent spores, not white ones? They are of course, not treated with anything reagent wise, although I have considered getting some of that stuff. It would make certain ID's more verifiable.

I'm still looking for the amanita pic.

#35 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,346 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 April 2015 - 05:54 PM

Very good thread! The first post filled in for me now, and much good info all through this thread. It really should be stickied so it is at the top of the wild mushrooming page.

• happy4nic8r likes this

#36 warriorsoul

warriorsoul

Retired Moderator

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,802 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 April 2015 - 05:54 PM

I'm not completely sold either way. Your avatar appears Amanita-ish. Can you turn the light down on your scope? You may get a better idea of their true color under lower light. Good luck with the photo hunt.

• happy4nic8r likes this

#37 Spliff

Spliff

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 548 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 07:36 PM

Brilliant knowledge that should be shared far and wide. Here in Australia we have reported deaths, and the government puts out PSA's

#38 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 15,028 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 April 2015 - 07:43 PM

Here in Australia...

Proof that mushrooms can grow upside down!

• Mycomaniac2007, Coopdog, Spliff and 2 others like this

#39 riseabovethought

riseabovethought

innerspace explorer

• App Administrator
  • 4,243 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 December 2016 - 12:13 PM

Just another friendly reminder-

Know the Death Cap!

[Direct Link]

• Myc and CatsAndBats like this

#40 mjshroomer

mjshroomer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,651 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 December 2016 - 01:54 PM

This is me and Amanita phalloides and the photograph was taken by mycologist, Paul Hill.  

3BigAmanitaByPaulHillabc.jpg

Some pics of the mushrooms by me.

amanitaphalloides2-2010.jpg  

dscn8143abc.jpg

DSCN8127abc.jpg

mjshroomer

Very Deadly 

• riseabovethought likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!