Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

Turkey Tail. What do you know about this medicinal mushroom?

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 johnhaiSJ

johnhaiSJ

oyster lover

• Expired Member
  • 71 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 09:18 PM

can't wait to see the TT. looks like i am going to get an early christmas gift. i have my #2 phillips screwdriver read and waiting.:) thanks Alder.

john

#22 Elliot Moondrake

Elliot Moondrake

Cultivating Positivity

• Expired Member
  • 64 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:21 AM

Hello peeps! I read that turkey tail MYCELIUM has the PSK polysaccharides in more concentration than the fruiting bodies. In fact, Paul's "Host Defense" product is extracted mycelium. So I am interested in growing for the mycelium on some sort of edible substrate for easy extraction.

Has anyone around here actually grown turkey tail just for the mycelium? Any tips? I'm also still interested in hearing about how to extract all the proper goodness!

Elliot

#23 caitojones

caitojones

The Space Pope

• Expired Member
  • 479 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:45 AM

Hello peeps! I read that turkey tail MYCELIUM has the PSK polysaccharides in more concentration than the fruiting bodies. In fact, Paul's "Host Defense" product is extracted mycelium. So I am interested in growing for the mycelium on some sort of edible substrate for easy extraction.

Has anyone around here actually grown turkey tail just for the mycelium? Any tips? I'm also still interested in hearing about how to extract all the proper goodness!

Elliot

I've been planning on some cloning experiments with T. versicolor, so I'll report back with my findings. Maybe juicing a PF Tek cake would be a good method for mycelium extraction, if they would indeed grow on BRF cakes (since they're woodlovers.) I can't think of a fully edible substrate that would be a good analogue for wood material.

#24 esculenta

esculenta

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 212 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 04:41 PM

I've been planning on some cloning experiments with T. versicolor, so I'll report back with my findings. Maybe juicing a PF Tek cake would be a good method for mycelium extraction, if they would indeed grow on BRF cakes (since they're woodlovers.) I can't think of a fully edible substrate that would be a good analogue for wood material.

so has anyone tried a liquid culture? i thought that was the 'industrial scale' go-to for making mycelium.

#25 caitojones

caitojones

The Space Pope

• Expired Member
  • 479 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:21 PM

Considering T. versicolor is typically taken from a wild sample, I would think that liquid culture would be very prone to contamination. I'm sure it's possible to do, but it would probably be easier to start with clone tissue or spores onto a solid, contaminant-resistant substrate.

Also for the edible substrate issue, liquid culture would be a little dangerous because of the likelihood of even small-scale bacterial contamination.

#26 Spooner

Spooner

Horney Toad

• Black VIP
  • 2,752 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:16 PM

I found this little tree on my place the other day.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]292906[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]292905[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]292907[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]292908[/ATTACH]

Stamets recomends agar to grain then wood chips, but since you are a log guy, have you tried something low tec, like just drilling holes stuffing some crumbs in and trying to grow more? That is a beautiful find Alder.

#27 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 15,025 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:29 AM

I don't anticipate propagating TTs. They are quite plentiful around here. I was at a friend's place a while back and walked out back of their house to take a leak. What I found there was a dead alder about 15 inches in diameter, broken off about thirty feet up, and completely covered with TTs. Since she is a breast cancer survivor, I told her how to find the Paul Stametts TED talk.
  • Moonless likes this

#28 bigjimmy

bigjimmy

Let's ride...

• Expired Member
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:54 AM

hell, when i'm very dehydrated if i drink a few ounces of water, my vision can go dark and my heart will start racing and i'll feel lightheaded and a bit wobbly for a moment.

I would see a doctor for that.
Something is haywire up in 'ya.

#29 caitojones

caitojones

The Space Pope

• Expired Member
  • 479 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:48 AM

I don't anticipate propagating TTs.

I live in the city, so they're not as plentiful (plus I look suspicious dragging logs back to my house.) I've been considering a Turkey Tail grow kit from Fungi Perfecti. I figure you can't go wrong with Paul Stamets, and since it's not on a log, it would be easier to make spawn for expanding.

#30 twoguysupnorth

twoguysupnorth

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,003 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:05 AM

Just pick a yummy grain such as barley or lentils for edible dishes of mycellium. I plan to try some morales like that since esentially could get the flavors and goodies for soups and stews that way.

Turkey tails are also widely available in nothern mi woods. Ill have to give some a try

Edited by twoguysupnorth, 20 January 2013 - 10:19 AM.

• Moonless likes this

#31 caitojones

caitojones

The Space Pope

• Expired Member
  • 479 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 02:25 PM

Don't forget to cook the morels thouroughly in a well-ventilated area.

#32 philmore

philmore

the sneaky newbie

• Expired Member
  • 120 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:26 AM

First off, these mushrooms are amazing medicine and they are loaded with good anti-cancer substance, the biggest being polysaccharide-K or psk. Psk is a regularly used substance in chemotherapy courses throughout Asia, but of course our society doesn't want to use anything that is way too simple to get your hands on because then how would big pharma get their money? I live in New England and can pick these wild EVERYWHERE. One thing I noticed is that after you dry these guys and leave them in a jar for a while they start to smell really sweet and fruity, I wonder if anyone else has noticed this. As for cultivation, the mycelium in the fruits is VERY hard, and these guys are so thin it's hard to access soft tissue even if you DID find a softer one. I would personally say your best bet with getting a culture of these going is to collect spores, make a syringe, and go from there. To answer the question about making an edible growth medium that these would live happily on, if I'm not mistaken these are cellulose eaters (as opposed to the lignin eaters) so things that contain large amounts of cellulose would include any bulking agents (wheat bran, oat bran, rice bran, or psyllium husks) Just make sure to not eat too much of that fiber or you'll NEVER get off the toilet lol....Hope some of this info was helpful. Peace
  • Stoned Angel likes this

#33 Moonless

Moonless

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 916 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 April 2021 - 05:37 PM

Given the amount of people that have died in my family from cancer I am collecting and ingesting ganoderma tsugae, grifola frondosa (I eat these anyway), and I'm working on growing these turkey tails too, outdoors for now but indoors is coming soon. This is great stuff. I have been drinking reishi tea for the last month or so and feel great......we'll see how it goes as time passes. I think many of the good substances found in these mushrooms are hot water extractable, hence the use of teas, finely ground and simmered for several hours although I am also experimenting with the ganoderma tsugae in vodka to attempt extracting and creating a tincture that supposed to have anti-inflammatory effect as well. I have not heard of anyone getting a buzz or stoned from the mushrooms, unless of course you watch Paul and his mother stand up on stage and talk about how she is still here with us......that made me high as a kite. I lost my brother a little over a year ago to cancer, I fucking hate cancer!

I know this was over eight years ago and all but... Do you have an update for us? Do you still use TT and reishi?

My father is fighting cancer and I am likely to get it when I am older. I use a homemade reishi extract and am currently trying to cultivate turkey tail indoors because the wild specimens I come across are always mossy, dry and hard to identify!

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!