60 replies to this topic

#21 Il19z8rn4li1

Il19z8rn4li1

Green Thumb Blue Thumb

• Expired Member
  • 3,659 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:08 PM

dont worry dont worry :) I have now set my mind on finding all my native plants around
me that would benefit me.

Id only plant them in the walk ways of the gardens though and on the borders really.
But thats plenty for benefiting, plus they will stop the other..."less desirable" weeds from popping up.

So far I got some weeds that I have started to leave behind and i believe its a type of marsh weed.
Not sure what it does, but i left it for the Jap Beetles to eat lol. They love it

#22 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,537 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:14 PM

Nettles vitamin content would be good nutrition for plants too
I think an old use was for fertilizer or a animal food we can eat them too high in Iron probably Vit A

#23 stoffel

stoffel

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 161 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:53 AM

yes, and in the war they used nettels to make clothes 'nettle yarn', like flax, the stemms are realy fiberous
they say its even more healty then spinach! fermented its indeed a fertiliser, or sometimes used against pests

#24 Il19z8rn4li1

Il19z8rn4li1

Green Thumb Blue Thumb

• Expired Member
  • 3,659 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:37 AM

Heheh thought id share this little friend I found outside while doing some spring cleaning.
I disturbed his hibernation spot :)

He's a MONSTER, and I happy I found him because I jarred him up and threw him in the middle of my
garden. Will be nice to have a biggin like that in the beginning of the season :)

That's a PINT jar he's in btw, so you guys can get an idea of how big he/she was. I wanna say it was a girl,
but i dont know much about arachnids. I believe the females are usually LARGER, so they can eat the male
after the mate lol...

talk about a rough one night stand hahahah

DSCF7494.JPG
DSCF7497.JPG

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCF7492.JPG
  • DSCF7493.JPG
  • DSCF7495.JPG
  • DSCF7496.JPG

#25 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,537 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 April 2013 - 02:11 PM

How to Naturally get rid of your bugs in the garden ;)

#26 riseabovethought

riseabovethought

innerspace explorer

• App Administrator
  • 4,212 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 April 2013 - 04:49 PM

Or you could just buy some corn or wheat at the store and you'll get bacillus thuringiensis
(which used to be put on top of organic crops as a natural herbicide
but is now injected living into the corn and wheat germ
so they are now blended genetically
and you really have no choice since the other crops
have all been contaminated by traveling in same containers cross -country)
but Im sure its safe to eat, right? Only the future will tell..
https://mycotopia.ne...ringiensis.html

#27 Il19z8rn4li1

Il19z8rn4li1

Green Thumb Blue Thumb

• Expired Member
  • 3,659 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:33 AM

Or you could just buy some corn or wheat at the store and you'll get bacillus thuringiensis
(which used to be put on top of organic crops as a natural herbicide
but is now injected living into the corn and wheat germ
so they are now blended genetically
and you really have no choice since the other crops
have all been contaminated by traveling in same containers cross -country)
but Im sure its safe to eat, right? Only the future will tell..
https://mycotopia.ne...ringiensis.html

HEPA filtered greenhouses :) hehe

#28 Blueringer

Blueringer

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 494 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:54 AM

This is a great thread! I like angle about detering rather than executing the pests. They are only doing what they are supposed to do. They are just like us when they see agood thing (in our case a nice healthy vegetable/herb garden) and then take advantage of the situation. I like it just convince them they don't like it!:eusa_naug
  • the_chosen_one and wildedibles like this

#29 AmatuerShaman

AmatuerShaman

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 19 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 07:33 PM

Firstly I'd like to say thank you for this thread, very informative, and on a topic I love and can never seem to get enough of. I look forward to trying some of these, especially in my area(NorthEastern US) I've found just using neem doesn't seem to cut it. Always good practice to change up applications, I've had a problem the past two seasons with my cucumbers and summer squash succumbing to powdery mildew, looking forward to trying your spray geared more towards fungi.

Also I saw mention of trying to use weeds to supplement vitamins and that is another topic I was recently researching. Most people make a compost tea of sorts with weeds, just pull, place in a bucket, cover with water, age 2 weeks, strain, and dilute before applying. I like the idea of trying to supplement certain vitamins out of some of the weeds, that's what I try to do with my compost teas.

Thank you for some fine reading and here's to a fine gardening season for all of us.

#30 Nunyabiz

Nunyabiz

Teonanacatl

• Free Member
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 09:25 PM

I can vouch for the pepper spray.. I actually used habanero peppers.. 6-8 peppers for a couple cups worth of spray.. This stuff is so potent you need a vapor mask and gloves to spray it..

I had mites for years and nothing worked except sns217 which stopped working after a while also.. Sprayed a few times with habanero spray and was 100% bug free within a few treatments.. Couldn't believe it.. I've totally wiped out mites twice with it...

#31 Il19z8rn4li1

Il19z8rn4li1

Green Thumb Blue Thumb

• Expired Member
  • 3,659 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 March 2015 - 10:32 AM

Firstly I'd like to say thank you for this thread, very informative, and on a topic I love and can never seem to get enough of. I look forward to trying some of these, especially in my area(NorthEastern US) I've found just using neem doesn't seem to cut it. Always good practice to change up applications, I've had a problem the past two seasons with my cucumbers and summer squash succumbing to powdery mildew, looking forward to trying your spray geared more towards fungi.

Also I saw mention of trying to use weeds to supplement vitamins and that is another topic I was recently researching. Most people make a compost tea of sorts with weeds, just pull, place in a bucket, cover with water, age 2 weeks, strain, and dilute before applying. I like the idea of trying to supplement certain vitamins out of some of the weeds, that's what I try to do with my compost teas.

Thank you for some fine reading and here's to a fine gardening season for all of us.

Thanks for the kind words, dont get those that often from the Topia lol 

I can vouch for the pepper spray.. I actually used habanero peppers.. 6-8 peppers for a couple cups worth of spray.. This stuff is so potent you need a vapor mask and gloves to spray it..

I had mites for years and nothing worked except sns217 which stopped working after a while also.. Sprayed a few times with habanero spray and was 100% bug free within a few treatments.. Couldn't believe it.. I've totally wiped out mites twice with it...

Yup,  natural sprays plus 1/4 tsp of Potassium Silicate(Pro-Tekt) and 10cc Fulvic Acid per Gallon YOUR GOLDEN.

Alternate your sprays,  Garlic One time, Pepper another time, Neem another time, Tulsi holy Basil another... etc...etc...etc... lol

Youll NEVER have bug problems,

Be sure when you spray, do it 10mins before LIGHTS OUT, and be sure to SPRAY THE SOIL also.  

• -=Zeus=- and happy4nic8r like this

#32 dead head jed

dead head jed

Lost Hill Billy

• 1,703 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 March 2015 - 11:38 AM

Maybe its because of your attitude and snarky comments dude

#33 happy4nic8r

happy4nic8r

cyans rule!!

• OG VIP
  • 3,611 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 March 2015 - 02:10 PM

Hmmm. I didn't notice that, probably says something about my attitude.

I wonder, do you have anything besides wasting good beer for slugs? We had the huge french snails in Hawaii, and they were scary to collect at night, but here in the PNW the slugs are huge too, and will do some damage in one feeding.

I hate salt cuz that's bad for you soil, although fun to watch em squirm, and we have been using iron sulfate? but it has to be reapplied every time it rains.

#34 -=Zeus=-

-=Zeus=-

-= In The Flow =-

• OG VIP
  • 2,019 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 March 2015 - 02:11 PM

Maybe its because of your attitude and snarky comments dude

Personal feelings posted about members, or their style of writing or expressing themselves within the rules of the site, really goes against what I thought the spirit of Mycotopia was about.  

I see nothing but dedication and positivity in the OP's comments, and it takes a lot of time and devotion to share one's own experiences to try and help others.  When was the last time you chose to undertake such an endeavor or posted such a comprehensive thread based on actual experiences?

I appreciate the info in this thread, and the poster that took the time to share it with us!

• roscoe and happy4nic8r like this

#35 dead head jed

dead head jed

Lost Hill Billy

• 1,703 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 March 2015 - 02:48 PM

Thanks for the kind words, don't get alot of those from Topia lol

You see this as positivity?
I see it as about as back handed as a compliment can come.

Like walking up to a group of folks and saying.. this guy here is a reall nice fellow, the rest of you are assholes

And i'm not allowed to express my opinion openly?
Zeus i put in my work back in 04-07 i haven't had time to really put in much since then other then helping people out, but when i do i'll be sure to share

#36 Il19z8rn4li1

Il19z8rn4li1

Green Thumb Blue Thumb

• Expired Member
  • 3,659 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 March 2015 - 04:51 PM

Hmmm. I didn't notice that, probably says something about my attitude.

I wonder, do you have anything besides wasting good beer for slugs? We had the huge french snails in Hawaii, and they were scary to collect at night, but here in the PNW the slugs are huge too, and will do some damage in one feeding.

I hate salt cuz that's bad for you soil, although fun to watch em squirm, and we have been using iron sulfate? but it has to be reapplied every time it rains.

You got slug problems... your going to need to take things to the next level for pest management :)

Let me share some light from my personal experience with slugs in my own 1/4acre garden just this past season, 2014

I found sprays to be a lil bit of a PITA to be honest... the whole having to reapply after every damn rain

or even after a HEAVY MORNING DEW.. that was tiring.

So i moved into predatory insects.

Specifically..

beneficial nematodes and wasps.

These are the kinds of wasps youll need.

http://www.planetnat...parasitic-wasp/

The nematodes, just google "beneficial nematodes"

Youll want to apply both when soil temps are steadily 55-60'F 

be sure to follow the instructions that come with both bugs carefully.

ALSO, if you have LIGHTENING BUGS, do some research on how to improve your

locale to better suite their living habits and habitate,  lightening bugs lay their

eggs on the backs of slugs, when the eggs hatch the larvea eat teh slugs :) 

If you cant beat them with natural sprays, you better believe you can beat them with other bugs :)

My garden is 100% PEST BUG free with simple steps taken in early season, but late enough

in season to have food fo the beneficial insects to life and multiple :)

SPRAY the nematodes btw, dont apply them with the verm they come in, put the verm in water, strain

then put in a pump sprayer, spray SOIL BASE around plant and leaves, AT DAWN, before direct sunlight.

Best to apply BEFORE a rain though...

Hope I helped guide yea on some research :) 

Cheers.

• coorsmikey, roscoe, -=Zeus=- and 2 others like this

#37 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Walk's between...

• 7,790 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 March 2015 - 05:02 PM

I hate salt cuz that's bad for you soil

I introduced the predatory decolate snails to my yard many years ago. I used to be able to stomp anywhere from 100- 200 snails a night. I have not seen one except the decolates (which do not eat live plant material) for many years. They feast on the eggs, and over time, eliminate the garden snails.

Slugs are greatly reduced, but not gone. Copper strip, placed around forbidden areas, makes a barrier that is poison free that snails and slugs will not cross. Something about a natural electric charge when they touch it.

• -=Zeus=- and happy4nic8r like this

#38 -=Zeus=-

-=Zeus=-

-= In The Flow =-

• OG VIP
  • 2,019 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 March 2015 - 05:06 PM

Thanks for the kind words, don't get alot of those from Topia lol

You see this as positivity?
I see it as about as back handed as a compliment can come.

No, in fact I didn't really notice it much at all.  This thread is full of good information that I certainly see as postive though.  But now that you mention it, if my memory serves me correctly, it is a true statement.  

With all the potentially useful information in this thread, gained from experience and shared with love, why would you choose to focus on one comment made yrs after the thread was started?  Do you see this as positivity?

Like walking up to a group of folks and saying.. this guy here is a reall nice fellow, the rest of you are assholes

No, that would be singling out an individual in a group like you did, when you made the comment about OP's attitude and 'snarkiness'....  

And i'm not allowed to express my opinion openly?

Of course you are, I just don't recall a precedent of expressing personal opinions about members in the open forum, especially from moderators or admins.

Zeus i put in my work back in 04-07 i haven't had time to really put in much since then other then helping people out, but when i do i'll be sure to share

Jed, I appreciate your contributions to the community over the yrs, and I know you are still putting in work, like all the rest of us out here.  One way or another, doing the best we can to fight the good fight.

To leave this thread on a positive note, I happen to know that the OP has a dream.  He grows a tremendous organic garden of many vegetables and herbs.  I'm not talking about a few tomato plants and peppers like the typical family garden, but a much larger scaled operation that requires year round work full time.  And get this, his dream is to give it all away for free some day.  He gives much of his produce away now, to those in need.  

Is his style unconventional?  Absolutely.  Is he a bit eccentric in his manner of writing?  Yep.  Is that necessarily a bad thing?  No.  

I too have a dream, and that is to see Mycotopia get over this period of bickering and transition that we seem to be in and have been in for some time, and move forward with a common goal and positive reinforcement from each other.  That was the spirit of Mycotopia I signed up for and grew to love and call home, and I think you'd agree Jed.  

With loving concern...Z

• coorsmikey and Juthro like this

#39 happy4nic8r

happy4nic8r

cyans rule!!

• OG VIP
  • 3,611 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 March 2015 - 05:32 PM

I tried the copper wire, copper strips would be expensive, and the slugs crawled right over it, not even blinked.

In broad daylight no less. I could see if it was raining or night, but come on, how bad did they want those herbs or whatever. 

The larger ones could just jump over, but I 'preciate the thoughts on wasps, and nematoads, (although I don't know what they are exactly)..

That's what Google is for, right?

Zeus, you have always been right on with me, and although I didn't see where there was a conflict here, you and Jed did, and that's cool too.

I appreciate the fact that people come back around, sometimes years later, when they are called upon for their expertise.

That's what this site is to me. I don't expect to be treated any different from the real world, cuz here we all are. Sometimes information comes with a price, and many times you appreciate it more if you have to work a bit for it.

Gardening, fungus growing, gnawing at the edges of sanity to test the limits of our minds, all of it requires guides, and some are admittedly better than others.

I appreciate the knowledge I have gotten from Zeus, Dead Hed Jed, Skywatcher, and now someone who I can't even figure out his moniker, but maybe just my trying to spell it out wouldn't be respectful enough, so the OP.

Thank you all.

• -=Zeus=- likes this

#40 dead head jed

dead head jed

Lost Hill Billy

• 1,703 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 March 2015 - 06:32 PM

Yes zeus i do agree
But i still stand by my accusition that the part of the post i commented on was both un-needed and unconstuctive

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!