60 replies to this topic

#41 dead head jed

dead head jed

Lost Hill Billy

• 1,704 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 March 2015 - 06:36 PM

Back on topic....

A# have you any experience using worm casting tea as a spray? I tried it last year when we had a nasty aphid infestation on our kale. It seemed to kill the little buggers pretty well but i didn't have the time to spray but every few days so it was a constant battle.

#42 -=Zeus=-

-=Zeus=-

-= In The Flow =-

• OG VIP
  • 2,019 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 March 2015 - 09:35 PM

Yes zeus i do agree
But i still stand by my accusition that the part of the post i commented on was both un-needed and unconstuctive

Accusation is a strong word, and I could counter by saying your comment was also un-needed and unconstructive.  But either one is a matter of opinion to the person that reads the thread.  

I've found over and over that the saying holds true... seek and ye shall find.  If you look for a negative in any situation, you will find one.  Likewise if you look for the positive, you'll find that too. Most of my life I haven't been looking for the positive, but when I make a conscious effort to do so, I'm amazed at what I find. 

I also realize the strain on the mod staff here, and the state of affairs.  I know it has been hard on the staff, including yourself, with all the uncertainty and unsteady foundation that we've experienced over the last few  yrs.  I'm sure it has been frustrating to the staff, and I know that makes being positive a very hard thing to do.  I really do appreciate all of you, and all the members old and new that have kept the flame alight and continue to do so.  

I'm merely suggesting we all look for the positive here. There is plenty of negativity on reserve, all over the globe, for each and every one of us if we choose to seek that too.

because i care....Z

• coorsmikey and Spooner like this

#43 dead head jed

dead head jed

Lost Hill Billy

• 1,704 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 March 2015 - 09:54 PM

My comment was both constructive and needed.
It was constructive in telling A# how he might go about getting more positive responces (walking around with both fingers up isn't gonna get you a lot of smile and nice to meet yas)
And it was needed because the type of snarky comment like the one he made is not acceptible.

Now i'm sorry if A# is your buddy or what ever the case may be. But he doesn't need you to defend him. If he has issues with what i said i assume he'll speak up. He certainly wasn't shy about it before.

Had his comment read.. thats nice thanks..

This wouldn't have been an issue, but it didn't and it my job to call him or anybody else out about that.

All that being said, since A# hasn't taken issue with my comment, i take it he has gotten the point of my post.
Now why don't we stop dragging this off topic
  • coorsmikey likes this

#44 GadgetGuy

GadgetGuy

~Resident Perv~

• Expired Member
  • 3,015 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 March 2015 - 11:45 PM

alpha is a different animal, but he means no harm and only hopes to help... it took me a minute to decipher his way of conveying information.... He also has great ideas that NOBODY on THIS SITE  hAs EVer TRIED before..... so to bash it is like, well..... finding a free lotto ticket and NEVER checking to SEE if it WON.

How did this thread go this direction? This fucking place disappoints me these days

Edited by GadgetGuy, 24 March 2015 - 11:48 PM.

• -=Zeus=- likes this

#45 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 9,582 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 March 2015 - 05:48 AM

I'm merely suggesting we all look for the positive here. There is plenty of negativity on reserve, all over the globe, for each and every one of us if we choose to seek that too.

because i care....Z

Nicely said Zeus. Bad vibes are like a cancer and can spread quickly. A conscious effort is sometimes needed to fight them.

To be fair, I can see how Alpha's post was taken wrong, but I personally don't think he meant any malice or ill intent by it. He just has a different style of communication then some, at least IMHO. I also think his intentions are noble, he was trying to help and share his knowledge, something that we need more of here. And though that one line might have been a poor choice of words I don't see any evidence that he was trying to cause trouble or discord. I can see that it might have been worthy of pointing out to him that it could have been worded better, or that what he said could be taken poorly, but that could be done in a more constructive manner as well.

Love and light,
Juth
  • -=Zeus=- and drmcnasty like this

#46 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 9,582 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 March 2015 - 05:56 AM

ma and jr in driveway.jpg

So anybody got any ideas on how to keep these big pests out of my kale and cabbage?
  • -=Zeus=-, TurkeyRanch and Skywatcher like this

#47 -=Zeus=-

-=Zeus=-

-= In The Flow =-

• OG VIP
  • 2,019 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 March 2015 - 06:25 AM

So anybody got any ideas on how to keep these big pests out of my kale and cabbage?

I've read that moving your garden south a thousand miles or more is the only remedy when garden pests of that variety rear their enormous heads!  

• Juthro likes this

#48 Il19z8rn4li1

Il19z8rn4li1

Green Thumb Blue Thumb

• Expired Member
  • 3,659 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 March 2015 - 10:47 AM

Dont forget, take everything I say with a MONSTER GRAIN OF SALT, I "know no thing" ;)

I just do things and observe the reactions. 

The larger ones could just jump over, but I 'preciate the thoughts on wasps, and nematoads, (although I don't know what they are exactly)..

That's what Google is for, right?

Thats CERTAINLY what Google is for :P  lol

But I'll give ya a few links to push ya in an "accurate" direction... 

remember the predators are more geared for the most difficult of the pest bugs.

and when you got pest bugs... and you introduce a nice predator and make sure they have

habitat(cant just introduce them without careing for them.....) that predator will dominate shortly

as long as you brought them in at the start of the season. 

nice quick read of beneficial bug overview

http://www.grow-it-o...en-insects.html

Plants that ATTRACT beneficial insects into your yard.  If you garden outside... THIS IS A MUST!!! Yes I just said that lol

Of course these kinda insects are a lil TRICKER to use in INDOOR gardens... this

is why I concentrate on rotating my sprays and never spray the same spray more then 2 times in a row.

http://www.organicga...flowers-borders

http://permaculturen...ficial-insects/

Back on topic....

A# have you any experience using worm casting tea as a spray? I tried it last year when we had a nasty aphid infestation on our kale. It seemed to kill the little buggers pretty well but i didn't have the time to spray but every few days so it was a constant battle.

On Topic-

EWC tea is AMAZING, the main issue with it is that having HIGH QUALITY EWC is a must to be the most

effective and limit any possible chances of ILL EFFECTS

The better quality and the fresher the EWC are, the better results they will give, has a lot to do with the micro-herd 

more so then it does available NUTRIENTS, BUT on the nutrients NOTE, let me expand and say

that EWC tea gives the plants a BUST of quickly assimilated nutes that will enable the plant to utilize its OWN

pest resistance and stress copeing, BUT this is only able to happen if the EWC are of HIGH NUTRIENT BALANCED

QUALITY... if the EWC are unbalanced in essential nutes... they wont be as effective adn can actually cause problems

from the IMBALANCE. 

Gotta be careful with some store bought bags of EWC, I personally, when having to rely on store bought castings

I like to pour it out into a bucket and mix in some screened compost from my compost pile(like 1/10th of volume),

I feel this aerates the store bought castings and rejuvinates the micro-herd to a healthy aerobic population,

as oppose to some anearobic populations that might form while sitting on the shelf at the store...

(but sometimes I over think and over do things... but whatever lol thats me...)

So its good to ask the store manager some questions about how long the EWC were laying around and if

they got any meaty info regarding the production process.

I have recently, FINALLY, started my own worm bin... TALK ABOUT EASY PEASY!!!!! lol 

Dug in my compost pile... went to the "WORM LAYER", scooped out about a gallon of worms, then grabbed

from the TOP OF THE PILE and layed that on top of the worms, added shredded newspaper,

misted that moist, and am just leaving it in the corning of my shed outside.

Days later, I check in on them.. they are doing great, finishing up eating the compost.

From reading, I found its best to feed worms COMPOST, as oppose to "fresh scraps" be it from kitchen or yard. 

Instead just make a compost pile with all that stuff... add some rock dust, Granite...Basalt...Glacial Dust..azomite.

or even KELP MEAL(dry meal, not extract or liquids) Rock dusts at around 1-3 cups per Cubic Foot, kelp

at around 1-2 cups per cubic foot... be sure it composts for 3-4 weeks before feeding to worms.  

Heres some good WORM / EWC  links.

http://cwmi.css.corn...ermicompost.htm

Attached File  Worms - keepingworms.pdf   11.14KB   242 downloads

Attached File  Worms - Kelly Solcum.txt   36.78KB   238 downloads

EWC is only TOOL in the shed...shouldnt be relied upon, I dont believe that your RELYING on it though... im just talking here...

hum... lol Juthro... I think youll need to make yourself a SERIOUS electric fense to keep those babies

outta your veggies lol....

Im about... 200 miles SOUTH of any moose lol

Depending on your finanances.. you can setup a really really nice electric fense setup that will keep out all those

big critters.

I use an electric fence for the domesticated deer in my area lol.  And ill tell ya... those mother fuckers are NINJAS!!!!

I say this...

They have their own martial arts lol

its a combination between...

Matrix and Mission Impossible skills lol 

Ive watched them... JUMP STRAIGHT UPWARD... then they FLASH FAD forward like 5 ft OVER MY 12ft FENCE!!!

literally... they did this from a STANDING JUMP lol there was no running start...

NINJAS!!! lol

They even squeeze their bitch asses through the SMALLEST of spaces... litearlly... they walk between a 14inch gap

between my greenhouse and my fence... saw the tracts the other day... im like YOU LITTLE BASTARDS!!! lol

If you go electric fence... id highly recommend having the posts 10FT TALL, with a 15degreen lean OUTWARDS,

and post the wires every 10-12inches. Run a 4ft chicken wire fence at the bottom portion coming 3ft UP the posts and

bending the bottom foot ON THE GROUND, this prevents rabbits, Opossums, racoons from digging under fence.

GL with the moose lol they are over my pay grade ;)

Edited by Il19z8rn4li1, 25 March 2015 - 12:00 PM.

#49 dead head jed

dead head jed

Lost Hill Billy

• 1,704 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 March 2015 - 11:24 AM

Hmm i get an error on the attachments... I'll see if i can find out whats up

#50 Il19z8rn4li1

Il19z8rn4li1

Green Thumb Blue Thumb

• Expired Member
  • 3,659 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 March 2015 - 11:40 AM

Hmm i get an error on the attachments... I'll see if i can find out whats up

Maybe got error because I was currently editing the post???

I was combining all the quotes into one posts... cluster stresses me out lol

#51 dead head jed

dead head jed

Lost Hill Billy

• 1,704 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 March 2015 - 12:45 PM

That was it.
Will check them out thanks

#52 happy4nic8r

happy4nic8r

cyans rule!!

• OG VIP
  • 3,611 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 March 2015 - 04:07 PM

Have any ideas on the indoor fungus gnats. Have been using the yellow stickies, and they fill up rapidly, and only seem to encourage the little bastards to fornicate more often and produce more young. 

Hydrogen peroxide seems to slow them down, but not kill them, or their demon spawn.

Lucky they aren't in the kitchen, at least not noticeably, cuz that would end the having anything growing in the house but semi useless house plants.

#53 dead head jed

dead head jed

Lost Hill Billy

• 1,704 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 March 2015 - 08:07 PM

So you just went with the local worms huh?
Wish i could fo that, but they have weird rules about compost in city limits here.

Have you ever tried to make tea and use that as a pest spray? I keep a 5gal bucket ib the green house bubbling away with an old sock half full of EWC.
Last year it seemed the aphids didn't much like it, and i've read some places that it is a good pest deturent. Benificial bacteria and what not.
The thing i like about it, is its free and requires almost no effort to make.

#54 Il19z8rn4li1

Il19z8rn4li1

Green Thumb Blue Thumb

• Expired Member
  • 3,659 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 March 2015 - 11:50 AM

Have any ideas on the indoor fungus gnats. Have been using the yellow stickies, and they fill up rapidly, and only seem to encourage the little bastards to fornicate more often and produce more young. 

Hydrogen peroxide seems to slow them down, but not kill them, or their demon spawn.

Lucky they aren't in the kitchen, at least not noticeably, cuz that would end the having anything growing in the house but semi useless house plants.

If you have fungus gnats your soil surface is TOO MOIST and most likely doesn't have a nice diverse

biology.

I grow in NLS,   Natural Living Soil.   There is NOTHING natural about it since I put it in a pot and bring it inside lol

but whatever.. im not trying to split hairs here.

For fungus gnats,  its about your soil biology.

Mix up a mulch layer for yourself.  Try this.  if you can... if you can't ask me for other options, i got them lol,,., im just

not trying to write a book here... lol

Per GALLON of potting soil use 1 tablespoon of earthworm casting.

If you got 5x 1 gallon pots youd do this.

Measure roughly 5 tbsp into a bowl or cup.

Then mix with that 2-3 tbsp of diatomaceous earth, MIX WELL. 

toss this evenly over all 5 of the 1gal pots.   TOP DRESSING.

Then get yourself some straw or hay or whatever you got... alfalfa hay works.. shit even grass clippings work for this part.

Use chop it up a lil bit so its more fluffy and not just "STICKS OF STRAW" you want it to lay nicely.

Put the straw in a 5 gallon bucket.  PUt a few tbsp of diatomaceous earth in the bucket and cover and shake the hell out of it.

Your just covering the straw with some DE.  

Mulch over your top dressing with the straw, you only need about 1inch depth on the straw. 

The top dressing will biologically activate your soil surface and your straw layer will wick some moisture from the soil, and

there will be nice FAE / GE at the soil surface.   The DE will take care of MOST ALL the gnats and it will stick around

for any future adults that walk around.

As for the larvea, if your soil is a live and you spray with NEEM, you shoudnt have the larvea for much longer.   

Let me know if that helps.

So you just went with the local worms huh?
Wish i could fo that, but they have weird rules about compost in city limits here.

Have you ever tried to make tea and use that as a pest spray? I keep a 5gal bucket ib the green house bubbling away with an old sock half full of EWC.
Last year it seemed the aphids didn't much like it, and i've read some places that it is a good pest deturent. Benificial bacteria and what not.
The thing i like about it, is its free and requires almost no effort to make.

yup, local compost worms all day.. I feel it to be a real economical and responisble action I can think of when gardening :)

Not sure why you cant just place a piece of cardboard on your grass or dirt near your house.. put some bricks over top it and water

the cardboard till its wet.   Leave it sit for a week or 2... come back and lift that cardboard, be ready to grab worms because they are

fast and will dissappear with the quickness lol  

10 worms will multiple into thousands in no time... granted "NO TIME" to me.. like like 6months lol... but thats because I literally watch 

plants grow for a living lol 

I hear ya on the CITY ORDINANCES... but really dude? over some worms?  lol

Don't tell anyone and how they going to know??? lol 

I don't care about that shit lol... If im not bothering someone in a negative way...

Im going to do what I want to do...and Im growing my own food.

I just started my worm bin, I believe I mentioned that.. and HOLY HELL are they lil machines lol

They dont smell..

ZERO BAD BUGS

ZERO anything negative lol 

I love it... i really LOVE seeing them slide away when I lift up the mulch layer to take a quick peep at them :) 

After about 2-3 weeks they are at least twice the size as they were when I put them in the bucket.  

straight up,... 5 gal bucket, with no holes.. just open on the top.. no lid.    With a LIGHT LIGHT mulch layer consisting of

strips of newspaper. 

heres my comment regarding you mentioning COMPOST TEA as a PEST SPRAY.

Heres is how I view it...

When you spray plants with a compost tea made up from some nice EWC

(Im aware that even SHITTY QUALITY EWC can

express positive results, we all gotta remember this simple fact about EWC.... they are created by worms... and

worms are one of the VERY FEW THINGS int this world that when you PUT JUNK IN you get something BETTER THEN JUNK OUT.

not the usual.... "What goes IN comes OUT"... thats not the case with our wormy friends :)   They are saints below

our feet because they respect where we come from.. THE SOIL!!! hehehe ;)   Granted most of what we are is CARBON

so it can be argued that we come from the AIR more then we do the SOIL lol..  But it goes both ways imo  lol  AIR

for STRUCTURE and SOIL for the PATTERN ;))

The reaction your NOT seeing is the plant assimilating all those nutrients that are in solution in that compost tea and

is has been applied DIRECTLY where the plant is going to utilize it, so no transfer within the plant is necessary.

That being said, your giving the plant a BOOST of nutrition which in turn will give the plant the ability to then become

more HEALTHY as a result increasing Fungal and Pest resistance along with the elements.  Its an OVER ALL

health boost.  

You speak of aphids becoming less of a problem after the compost tea, I wouldnt be surprised at all... I use compost tea

to spray off aphids lol, double WIN :)  I have witnessed and experience the same as you my friend when

using compost tea.    

But I would say that its an INDIRECT relationship, Compost tea to plants THEN effecting the PEST BUG.

To add more to support my view.

You mention aphids.

Aphids are SUCKERS.  They stab into the plant and suck out the sap, AKA SUCKERS lol  ;)  

SO... that being said... if they happen to stab a plant that is SUPER HEALTHY... that aphid is going to be in

for a deadly surprize. 

The turgor of the plant cells will be so high that it will cause the aphid to DROWN in the very sap it so desires.

Bitter Sweet relationship isnt it :)

JUST remember...

Plants are amazing... and have been around A LOT longer than humans lol

We are stewards to plants, not the other way around....

EXCUSE MY GRAMMAR OR MISSPELLINGS...

Spell check isnt working, and Im being lazy and dont want reread and fix my errors... lol 

Edited by Il19z8rn4li1, 31 March 2015 - 11:53 AM.

• happy4nic8r likes this

#55 happy4nic8r

happy4nic8r

cyans rule!!

• OG VIP
  • 3,611 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 March 2015 - 12:32 PM

Did not notice any spelling errors, at least nothing stuck out while reading.

Thank you very much, you have not only answered my question but given me much to try that's new as well.

I would assume that you don't want any DE around living earthworms, it would be like broken glass to them?

I have started a worm factory under some carpet laid down on an area they seemed to like, to use for fishing.

I have been slowly relocating them to a bin to expand their numbers.

Since I don't have rabbits, what are other preferred feeds for them?

#56 Il19z8rn4li1

Il19z8rn4li1

Green Thumb Blue Thumb

• Expired Member
  • 3,659 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 March 2015 - 04:38 PM

Did not notice any spelling errors, at least nothing stuck out while reading.

Thank you very much, you have not only answered my question but given me much to try that's new as well.

I would assume that you don't want any DE around living earthworms, it would be like broken glass to them?

I have started a worm factory under some carpet laid down on an area they seemed to like, to use for fishing.

I have been slowly relocating them to a bin to expand their numbers.

Since I don't have rabbits, what are other preferred feeds for them?

You can use Diatomaceous Earth INSIDE your worm bin if you want to.. DE doesn't hard earthworms as they

have a slime layer, doesn't harm slugs either.   DE is non-effective when WET.   But having it in your top mulching/casing

layer will rid you of your gnat issues more times then not IME/IMO. 

As for slugs though, DE tastes HORRIBLE, super bitter stuff and startchy.  So I think it might help a LITTLE BIT with slugs in way 

of changing the flavor of their food, but not so much in way of harming them.... I'd use predators like I mentioned above for

slugs. 

I'm not an expert on worms "yet" lol, but probably will never consider myself much more then a avid student of the

experiences I see before me ;) 

This post here..

https://mycotopia.ne...-3#entry1218672

has 2 documents attached that are must reads if you want to make EWC/grow worms. 

The smaller of the documents is only 1 page long.   Take 10-15mins to read....

I suspect now though, that your original concern about gnats was within a worm bin???

I thought potted plants...

The method I mentioned should work for either though.   I have not dealt with gnat in a worm bin just yet...

#57 happy4nic8r

happy4nic8r

cyans rule!!

• OG VIP
  • 3,611 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 March 2015 - 05:05 PM

No, I am actually talking about two entirely separate things, only related by being related to me.

I find I am the only common thread amidst a sea of organic cycles of life here.

The worms were found by accident, the indoor pot plants waiting for spring were the cause of the fungus gnats which spread across rooms of distance to my fungus subs.

The slugfest has been going on since I started throwing my contaminated brf cakes out into the garden, and they are not leaving till the music stops.

I try to keep my supply runs to a minimum since there is a lack of large feed stores, or garden supply outlets nearby.

it's really cool to figure out things that are only a walk through the woods away, and like flowers you can make pyrethrins out of, cost nothing but your effort.

Have to be careful though, the trickster is always placing statues of imitation cool things to fool those who don't read books.

#58 happy4nic8r

happy4nic8r

cyans rule!!

• OG VIP
  • 3,611 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 March 2015 - 05:12 PM

Just read the worms manuals and downloaded same, they were different ones I see.

Very interesting and cool stuff, I am thinking they are going to have to become my next pets.

#59 dead head jed

dead head jed

Lost Hill Billy

• 1,704 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 March 2015 - 06:15 PM

I don't know if the DE would affect the worms. I was under the impression that it affected incests because it scratched thier exoskeleton. I do know that the recommend adding a little grir, be it eggshell or sand, to worm bins.

#60 Il19z8rn4li1

Il19z8rn4li1

Green Thumb Blue Thumb

• Expired Member
  • 3,659 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 March 2015 - 06:37 PM

I don't know if the DE would affect the worms. I was under the impression that it affected incests because it scratched thier exoskeleton. I do know that the recommend adding a little grir, be it eggshell or sand, to worm bins.

The DE doesn't effect worms, they are WET and don't have exoskeletons.

worms have a GIZARD, so they require a grit. 

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!