• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 ethnobotanist420

ethnobotanist420

Welcome to the Machine

• Free Member
  • 2,914 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:06 PM

So I planted some P. Somniferum seeds this spring and they grew... just not very big lol
Some pods are really small, like blueberries or something like that and some are maybe grape sized but no bigger :mistrust:
The only good thing other than that they grew at all (they were neglected pretty rough:eusa_doh:)
is that there are quite a few of them...
I know they aren't big enough to waste my time milking them but they should be good for tea still, no?
My current thinking is that the pods being mature is what counts for actives (morphine, codeine ect.) to be present in good quantity...
pods are smaller but still contain goodies am I right?
If I get my camera working properly I'll snap some pics..
Thanks in advance,
-Ethno

#2 EstimatedProphet

EstimatedProphet

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:15 PM

yes the pods will contain goodies, harvest and make into tea, do not bother scoring the pods for latex.

The only time I grew pods that ended up being small (blueberry size) were indoors, I found out that they needed a light cycle, I was giving them 18hrs of light, sometimes 24hrs. I was told that to much light would yield tiny pods. I don't know how much light you poppies were getting, or how many nutes, but I just wanted to say that.:lol:

Can you post some pics of your little pods? I would like to see them.

#3 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,334 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:26 PM

do you know where the seeds came from? there are strains that only make tiny pods.

if you knew they came out of huge pods you could know for sure that the growing conditions were wrong.

it's been such a strange year in this part of the country that some of my plots grew decent sized pods, some tiny pods, but none grew anywhere near as large as the pods the seeds came out of. all of my plots are guerilla plots and get no care at all and we didn't get much rain all spring and until the last month not much rain. right at the end of the flowering stage a couple of the plots got a couple good rains and those pods fattened up quite a bit in just a couple days.

anyway, long story short, might be genetics and it might be environmental conditions.

#4 EstimatedProphet

EstimatedProphet

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:34 PM

all of my plots are guerilla plots and get no care at all

Oh yeah this reminds me that poppies are incredibly tough plants once they get established, they are often planted by being broadcasted into fields and left to grow. They tend to stand up to drought conditions well.

#5 ethnobotanist420

ethnobotanist420

Welcome to the Machine

• Free Member
  • 2,914 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:15 PM

seeds are from my buddy who got them from a buddy... you know the score lol
No Idea what the genetics are but I know they were definitely bigger last year... but like I said they were neglected so I'm going with that haha
Pics as requested...

Attached Files

#6 EstimatedProphet

EstimatedProphet

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:51 PM

well at least you got some pretty flowers.:eusa_danc

#7 ethnobotanist420

ethnobotanist420

Welcome to the Machine

• Free Member
  • 2,914 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 11:03 PM

yea I like the Vibrant red.
I think it gives lovely contrast to the deep green pods.

#8 Shamsu

Shamsu

Forever Searching

• Free Member
  • 443 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 01:24 PM

yea I like the Vibrant red.
I think it gives lovely contrast to the deep green pods.

:thumbup:Yes Red is good:thumbup:, infact i would even say best:loveeyes:(most potent in terms of alkoloid content. And you are corect, it doesnt matter how big they are if you have plenty of them and they are mature. as they mature the alkoloid content and ratios change. young pods that havnt had more than a week of growth after the petals fall will have ratios that favor the theibaine and codine, and the mature pods will have ratios that favor morphine and codine. So you want mature pods to have the highest morphine and codine content. And its the overall weight of the pods that counts not the number of pods. Its just that larger pods have thicker walls and therefor more goodies(alkoloids are produced in the wall of the pod itself)

If your petals are one color I dont think you have the right poppies. Cant tell from your pics if they have the spot of contrasting color at the base of the petal.

P. somniferum have a 2 tone petal. they can be deep red like yours but they will also have a patch of black, purple, or white near the center/bottom of the petal where it attaches to the node. the most common colors cobos that I have seen are as follows....(color of the spot w/petal color).....Purp w/white, Purp w/red, Purp w/whitish purp, Purp w/pink, Black w/red, Black w/purp, Black w/pink.

the good news is that if your poppies are 2 tone, then they will be the good ones. i have found over the yrs that the more potent ones are the ones with red or pink petals with the red being more potent than pink.

I have found that the plants grow small when they are in poor or compacted soil, or have not been watered enough. they like to dry in between waterings but they can take a lot of water too. if they dont dry in between waterings, they will easily rot, so its a balancing act. but try watering them again if they havnt started to turn yellow around the base of the plant. they are good to harvest if they are starting to take on a purple color on the top and sides of the pod itself. if not turning purp, you can judge the maturity by the amount of yellowing leaves on the lower half of the plant. Some just let them dry where they stand, others will cut the pods off when they have matured and dry them for a week or 2 hanging up-side-down

So if they are the right poppie make sure you save the seeds, since these will be strong resilient survivors of the poor growing conditions. Just try turning the soil next time, maybe add some nutrients and water more next time. the ones that grew small for me this yr were sown in un turned soil that was compact and had less environmental water.

good luck

#9 ethnobotanist420

ethnobotanist420

Welcome to the Machine

• Free Member
  • 2,914 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 01:40 PM

If your petals are one color I dont think you have the right poppies. Cant tell from your pics if they have the spot of contrasting color at the base of the petal.

P. somniferum have a 2 tone petal. they can be deep red like yours but they will also have a patch of black, purple, or white near the center/bottom of the petal where it attaches to the node. the most common colors cobos that I have seen are as follows....(color of the spot w/petal color).....Purp w/white, Purp w/red, Purp w/whitish purp, Purp w/pink, Black w/red, Black w/purp, Black w/pink.

really? I was not aware of that...
I'm pretty sure these have a purple base but I have had one tone poppies (peony poppies) and from what I understand those do contain actives and have one toned flowers...
now you got me paranoid I'm not gonna get shit outta these lol gonna go have a gander right now...
another question...
Are you saying if these flowers are one tone I do not have Somniferum? If not somni what are they?
thanks for your input,
-Ethno

#10 ethnobotanist420

ethnobotanist420

Welcome to the Machine

• Free Member
  • 2,914 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 02:14 PM

As I suspected...
A beautiful purple cross :amazed:

Attached Files

#11 Nunyabiz

Nunyabiz

Teonanacatl

• Free Member
  • 1,233 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 02:19 PM

I had grown some poppies like those tiny ones.. I had persian whites.. I scored em but little to no latex came.. It sat on my shelf for a month or so and I got bored n smoked a fat bowl and sat out on my deck.. I was actually suprised at how potent it was.. Only smoked half of it.. i bet those little pods are some potent ones..

#12 ethnobotanist420

ethnobotanist420

Welcome to the Machine

• Free Member
  • 2,914 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 02:21 PM

I bet those little pods are some potent ones..

I sure hope so! lol

anyone dare speculate on the variety of P. Somni I have?

Edited by ethnobotanist420, 10 July 2012 - 02:35 PM.

#13 doodaa man

doodaa man

getting to know thyself

• Free Member
  • 1,225 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 02:48 PM

FMHE, If your plants are too bunched up, too many in a small cramped space, most times they will be small. I have grown in very hard clay soil with nothing added and got decent size pods. It took three years for me to get very big pods. Check out this thread >
https://mycotopia.net/forums/botanicals/91187-poppies-sprouts-2.html

I did add compost to the soil the last two years. But from what i have read, poppies will grow in almost any soil type. This is really the first year i got real big pods !
Posted Image

Save your seed for next year. It seems that when they get used to soil and climet they get bigger and stronger. Mine did anyway.
Gluk !

#14 SilvrHairDevil

SilvrHairDevil

Gatekeeper

• 3,995 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 02:52 PM

Your's are bigger than mine, ethno. The pods are about the size of a mung bean.

Miniature bonsai poppies.

#15 Blueringer

Blueringer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 434 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:04 PM

Doodaa man just said what I was going to...they look crowded and FME crowded plants make smaller bulbs. The other factor could be, when you got them started? If you start them too late they will flower before they get really big making small flowers and pods.

#16 ethnobotanist420

ethnobotanist420

Welcome to the Machine

• Free Member
  • 2,914 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:30 PM

All excellent points guys:bow:
I shoulda tilled the soil up some and thinned 'em out a bit but like I said they were neglected and planted kinda as a last minute decision...
Next years crop is gonna be sweet with all these pointers :eusa_danc
I feel kinda crappy for not taking better care of them but oh well they still grew not bad lol

Gonna leave a few of the nice pods up to dry naturally so I can harvest some seed.
Might try a couple little tester pods later if the mood strikes....

PS-How long you reckon I should leave it between petal dropping and harvest?
will the pods grow much more after the flower falls away?

#17 Blueringer

Blueringer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 434 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:39 PM

Depends on the strain but yes they swell after the petals fall ( some quite a bit more) and they will go from a waxy green (when the petals first fall) to a grey green/blue color several days later. The sheen goes a way and most of the time you will actually see "dark spots" seeping through the skin too.

#18 Blueringer

Blueringer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 434 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:44 PM

Some Drama Queens that are overly crowded as well but still striking to look at!
Attached File  004a.jpg   272.14KB   294 downloads

#19 Windy

Windy

I like to ride my Trich

• VIP
  • 1,011 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 02:49 AM

Doodaa man just said what I was going to...they look crowded and FME crowded plants make smaller bulbs. The other factor could be, when you got them started? If you start them too late they will flower before they get really big making small flowers and pods.

Last year I sprinkled loads of seeds on a patch and let them go for it. They were crowded as but they kept on pushing out fat bulbs loaded with latex. I started them in September and that image is end of December when the first flower appeared. I agree that planting too late may stunt growth but for me crowding was not an issue. Just my theory, I would still thin them out to be on the safe side and what worked for me might not work for others.

Interestingly, a metre along the patch (where pavers are in the sun) the plants grew stunted. There was a definite relationship between plant size and sun exposure too: i.e. too much sun = stunted plants. I think the position of the patch had the Goldilocks effect.

Attached File  poppies.JPG   1.26MB   128 downloads

#20 ethnobotanist420

ethnobotanist420

Welcome to the Machine

• Free Member
  • 2,914 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 12:09 AM

Just harvested myself some pods:eusa_danc
They may be little but I'm still pretty stoked lol
Enough for a nice couple cups of tea for sure :D I even managed to milk a little one hitter of raw opium for the fun of it haha
My house smells like fucking opium so bad now lol

Attached Files

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!