45 replies to this topic

#1 sudont

sudont

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 53 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 02:01 AM

Hi!
I'm doing this "Hawaiian" strain for the first time, and Wednesday saw the first pins. Today, Tuesday, the longest mushies are only about 30 mm long. It seems to me that the last strain I did, (B+), once I saw pins, the mushies would be full grown within 48 hours - y'know, they popped up like mushrooms :)
Should I be worried here? If so, what steps might I take?
We're at:
80° F, 85 to 88% RH, and mucho FAE provided by the Cool Mist 24/7, Grow light 12 hrs. on/off PF cakes DECed on the jar lids. Occasional misting of verm casings.
Also, this may or may not be related, but I have huge knots growing out of the sides of some cakes. Some are approx. 20 mm x 30 mm wide x 6 mm deep! What's up wit that?

#2 theshadow7478

theshadow7478

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 79 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 06:41 AM

cakes should be at 95% humidity, casings are 80-85%.

#3 Guest_cap_*

Guest_cap_*

Posted 30 May 2006 - 07:06 AM

I'm doing this "Hawaiian" strain for the first time, and Wednesday saw the first pins. Today, Tuesday, the longest mushies are only about 30 mm long. It seems to me that the last strain I did, (B+), once I saw pins, the mushies would be full grown within 48 hours - y'know, they popped up like mushrooms

i have no experience with hawaiian but as long as they dont abort just keep fanning. if not fanning manually at all try that. also get the rh up a bit. cakes do very well in a perlite tub because rh is kept at 95-100% constantly. so i guess just set yer humidifier to come on more often if u need to boost rh.
if dryed up, the cakes may be in need of a dunk/rehydration.

Also, this may or may not be related, but I have huge knots growing out of the sides of some cakes. Some are approx. 20 mm x 30 mm wide x 6 mm deep! What's up wit that?

fairly common anomoly. cause unknown.
possibly due to the use of petroleum products, or degraded genetics --
i dont think any1 knows for sure.
do you use lysol in the process at all? :confused:

#4 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 07:17 AM

cakes need 100 % RH

#5 encapsulated

encapsulated

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 493 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 07:51 AM

I have grown hawaiins 2 times a believe and i had the same thing....is it like these white ball looking shits on your cake that you think might turn into a big fatass mushroom and they dont? If so just pick them and dry and eat like any other mushroom they still have magic in them from what my bro says i gave him some and he trippped and also from what i have read on here if i remember correctly...might want to ask someone else on here though b/c it might not be the same thing. Good luck on that though man :)

#6 srgtm1a

srgtm1a

yeah, yeah, you know.

• Expired Member
  • 760 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 10:30 AM

cakes need 100 % RH

yup.

For cakes, I like to keep it at 80-83F with 95-100% RH....for casings I like to keep it at 75F with 80%RH

Different strains will have slight variations with grow times etc. I wouldn't be worried just yet.

If you have your coolmist running 24/7 bringing in fresh air...you want to make sure that you have a place for the old air to escape.....otherwise, you will just be circulating the old air and it kinda defeats the purpose. Even with a coolmist running, I still like to do manual exchanges 2-3x's a day.

Other than that, your conditions sound ok (not optimal, but it'll work)....just give it time and let nature run it's course.

#7 sudont

sudont

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 53 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 10:36 AM

cakes need 100 % RH

Do you mean as opposed to casings? Because otherwise, I'm right where Stamets recommends for cropping.

#8 spacecake

spacecake

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 4,563 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 May 2006 - 10:46 AM

Do you mean as opposed to casings? Because otherwise, I'm right where Stamets recommends for cropping.

They just need 100 Rh and casings need less,Maybe you have a picture of your terrarium setup ? ..is it airtight (except for the air outlet..) ?

#9 sudont

sudont

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 53 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 10:49 AM

yup.

For cakes, I like to keep it at 80-83F with 95-100% RH....for casings I like to keep it at 75F with 80%RH

Different strains will have slight variations with grow times etc. I wouldn't be worried just yet.

If you have your coolmist running 24/7 bringing in fresh air...you want to make sure that you have a place for the old air to escape.....otherwise, you will just be circulating the old air and it kinda defeats the purpose. Even with a coolmist running, I still like to do manual exchanges 2-3x's a day.

Other than that, your conditions sound ok (not optimal, but it'll work)....just give it time and let nature run it's course.

I do have vents at the bottom of the FC, so FAE is not an issue. On the other hand, I can never get my RH over 93% according to my hygrometer. But I'm never sure if I can believe it because the thing becomes water-logged after a while! I live in Chicago, so I know what 88% humidity feels like, and it's a lot wetter in that tub IME. Also, I can completely fog that chamber with an untrasonic and never see the RH go up, so I don't know what to think. Certainly, there's a lot of condensation on the sides.

Can anyone recommend a hygrometer that works well at the range we use?

#10 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,424 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 May 2006 - 10:49 AM

That's what he means. Cakes will do best at the highest humidity you can create (100%). The walls of your FC should have lots of visible moisture on them.

#11 sudont

sudont

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 53 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 11:03 AM

They just need 100 Rh and casings need less,Maybe you have a picture of your terrarium setup ? ..is it airtight (except for the air outlet..) ?

Sorry, I don't have a camera. I wouldn't say it's perfectly air-tight. It's one of those 66 qt. Rubbermaid deals with the snap-on lid. I've made a half-dozen or so small holes near the bottom (below the cake level) with a hot nail for FAE. Plus the lid will leak a little around it's seal.

#12 spacecake

spacecake

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 4,563 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 May 2006 - 11:55 AM

Sound okay...holes ate the bottom is good.
Yeah ,your Hygromtr. could be wrong,I don't use one myself ..I use my mushrooms to see how high humidity is !
You can always try to use an air bubbler setup,to see if that will raise Hummidity !

#13 sudont

sudont

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 53 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 12:30 AM

Sound okay...holes ate the bottom is good.
Yeah ,your Hygromtr. could be wrong,I don't use one myself ..I use my mushrooms to see how high humidity is !
You can always try to use an air bubbler setup,to see if that will raise humidity!

I tossed my cigar hygrometer in there, and hours later it reads 92%, but the hygrometer, like the rest of the chamber, is covered in condensation. I'm not sure sure what I should make of that. I mean, it's wet as fuck in there!
Again, can anyone recommend a hygrometer that's accurate above 90% RH?

#14 Guest_cap_*

Guest_cap_*

Posted 31 May 2006 - 12:52 AM

a good 1 is goin2 cost ya. ime u get what u pay 4 with these.
online - http://www.fungi.com/tools/hygro.html
electrical supply house locally - http://www.aubetech....4&Submit=Search

#15 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 07:26 AM

stamets doesn't know squat about fruiting cakes,
he considers cakes to be
'beneath' him.

:lol:

#16 encapsulated

encapsulated

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 493 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 04:21 AM

Hey sudont i have this hygrometer that i got at Wal-Mart and it only cost me $7 and it reads all the way up to 95% humidity and i dont recall the highest temp it goes to but high enough for a fruiting chamber :) and it also has a handy max/min for the temp/humidity so that is handy as well here it is hope this helps you out and good luck :) http://mycotopia.net...=1&d=1149153430

Attached Thumbnails

• DVC00026.JPG

#17 sudont

sudont

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 53 posts

Posted 02 June 2006 - 01:35 AM

Hey sudont i have this hygrometer that i got at Wal-Mart and it only cost me $7 and it reads all the way up to 95% humidity and i dont recall the highest temp it goes to but high enough for a fruiting chamber :) and it also has a handy max/min for the temp/humidity so that is handy as well here it is hope this helps you out and good luck :) http://mycotopia.net...=1&d=1149153430

Mine will read to 100%, but it's not accurate. How is this one? Do you find it works in your chamber?

#18 sudont

sudont

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 53 posts

Posted 02 June 2006 - 01:44 AM

Thanks to everyone for their input - I appreciate it!
The RH in my chamber does appear to be above 95%. I was able to make that determination with another hygrometer. That's wonderful, of course, but I'm still stuck with the original problem of slooooowwwww growth. It's been ten days since pins first brightened my world, yet my mushies are only 30 to 40 mm long. They aren't opening to sporulate, nor are they aborting (or even abhorting ;)). They are DEC, and the verm is moist. Help me please, I'm freaking. What should I do?

#19 Guest_cap_*

Guest_cap_*

Posted 02 June 2006 - 02:03 AM

-how moist is the double end casing?
i only ask b/c it sounds like you are describing a dryed out situation.

-are you using a LOT of h2o2 in yer rehydration water?
(ie the water used to moisten the vermiculite DEC)
or straight h2o2? this can stunt growth in my experience.

if all else fails pick em clean, lose the loose verm., 200/1 bleach dunk,then re-case

good luck

ps- ive had luck rehydrating mid flushing by injecting sterile water into cakes
(no h2o2,P.C.'d syringes full of h2o--a dunk will do you best, though)

#20 sudont

sudont

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 53 posts

Posted 02 June 2006 - 02:37 AM

-how moist is the double end casing?
i only ask b/c it sounds like you are describing a dryed out situation.

Right, but that doesn't seem to be the problem. Casing is moist.

-are you using a LOT of h2o2 in yer rehydration water?
(ie the water used to moisten the vermiculite DEC)
or straight h2o2? this can stunt growth in my experience.

My rehydration water is 10% peroxide. That is, 0.3% H2O2.

if all else fails pick em clean, lose the loose verm., 200/1 bleach dunk,then re-case

Well, I was wondering if maybe the thing to do would be to pick these slow pokes, and hope the myc would refocus it's efforts. I'm doing everything the same way I've done it in the past (with wildly successful results), so I'm wondering if this "Hawaiian" strain is the issue.

good luck
ps- ive had luck rehydrating mid flushing by injecting sterile water into cakes (no h2o2,P.C.'d syringes full of h2o--a dunk will do you best, though)

Yeah, again, I don't think water is the problem. I do touch up the casings as needed with my 0.3% solution. It's what I've used in the past, and I have had better results with DEC than dunking. But that was a different strain (B+). Yet, I'm at a loss.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!