28 replies to this topic

#1 ethnobotanist420

ethnobotanist420

Welcome to the Machine

• OG VIP
  • 3,496 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 July 2012 - 04:21 PM

I'm going to a little pond stocked with rainbow trout tonight to do a little fishing.
I think it was stocked like 2-3 years ago and I know there are fish in there, but I haven't had any luck yet...
Anyone got any tips for getting these little guys to bite?

#2 stmhunter

stmhunter

stxsp

• Free Member
  • 572 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 07:14 PM

are they being fed fish food, i know when we stock our pond with catfish and were feeding them fish food it was all most impossible to get them to feed on anything else.

#3 ethnobotanist420

ethnobotanist420

Welcome to the Machine

• OG VIP
  • 3,496 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 July 2012 - 08:01 PM

are they being fed fish food, i know when we stock our pond with catfish and were feeding them fish food it was all most impossible to get them to feed on anything else.

Nope they've been fending for themselves...
I've sen some surface feeding but they don't seem to wanna bite small jigs or spoons.
Also tried earthworms and leeches with no luck yet..

#4 Michelle M

Michelle M

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 20 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 08:47 PM

Examine the water to find out what they're taking. They may be taking either spinners or emergers. Mayflies? Small caddis? See what it is, then use a fly to match it. If trout are taking things off the surface they won't have much interest in nymphs or anything subsurface. And vice versa. Sometimes a small seine or sieve works well to see what's in the water column.
  • Myc likes this

#5 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 13,024 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 July 2012 - 08:53 PM

Rainbows in ponds? How cold is the water? If it's not cold water, they might not be worth eating.

#6 ethnobotanist420

ethnobotanist420

Welcome to the Machine

• OG VIP
  • 3,496 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 July 2012 - 08:56 PM

Rainbows in ponds? How cold is the water? If it's not cold water, they might not be worth eating.

I live in Canada... the water is PLENTY cold lol
And I suppose its less a pond and more an old reservoir.... Its like 20-30ft deep in the middle.

#7 Black Heaven

Black Heaven

The Heaven's Shadow

• Free Member
  • 454 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 01:31 PM

cool, another fishing enthusiast! :thumbup: Well, i'd suggest trying corn (from the can) or small pieces of beef or pork. I've fishing rainbow trouts when i was a child, i always used either can corn or small pieces of meat and sometimes even pieces of squid or mussels....and i rarely went home with empty hands. ;) Now i've got a harpoon and ''hunt'' fish in the sea each summer.

#8 azure27

azure27

interdimensionalbiologist

• Expired Member
  • 195 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 03:50 PM

Nothing like fresh personally caught rainbow trout cooked on a campfire. Im way over due for a camping/fishing trip. I have cought rainbows with worms, salmon eggs and powerbait. I once cought one with a lure that was hooked to the boat while we puttered around for two hours. i never had good luck with with the salmon eggs but it worked atleast once. Most of my fishing is done in northern/eastern california in the higher elevation lakes and rivers.

#9 Danko

Danko

Heathen

• Expired Member
  • 421 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 06:04 PM

I grew up with a trout stream in my backyard, a tiny black and yellow jig was always my go to. For live bait, trout cannot resist a juicy grasshopper.

#10 ethnobotanist420

ethnobotanist420

Welcome to the Machine

• OG VIP
  • 3,496 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 July 2012 - 06:22 PM

I was out the day before last and I got bit by several different kinds of flying and crawling insect but alas, No fishies.
I'm starting to think they all died lol
Naw they are in there I just can't catch one to save my life haha
today is too stormy and windy but tomorrow I'm going nuclear on their asses! mark my words lol
Thanks all for the awesome tips! I got some new things to try now :D
-Ethno

#11 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,011 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 July 2012 - 08:04 AM

Ok for 1 I have made many many trips fishing on bright days well trout are very smart on bright sunny days they can see you try for the days that are overcast kinda cloudy days rain showers are good they are waiting for thier natural food in the rain to wash it into the water
2nd trout like worms but they must be small worms cut the big ones in half and you cannot have any worm hanging off your hook as they can just nibble this away without getting hooked
use light line you are not fishing for pike use w tiny hook and 5lb test line they can also see the line if it is too thick

My hubby and a friend went fishing in a stream it is deep in some places but for the most part it is shallow and they were getting wormy fish :( way to hot this year for them it was really disappointing all the fish around here are wormy now :( I love fishing use to go almost every day now where I am I cannot find anything without worms
.... lol I took the advantage and showed my boys about worms in our digestive system I get a laugh when I can gross my boys out LMAO :)

#12 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 6,449 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 July 2012 - 10:00 AM

Michelle M has the best suggestion - watch them carefully and see what they're eating. Tie your own fly to best imitate the food source.

During spawn season, trout are cannibals - try using fry (baby fish), minnows, or bait fish imitations.
Top-water (dry flies) are great to imitate breeding adults. Stimulator patterns imitate several types of adult flies also.
Popping bugs for bass may work also. Mice, frogs, etc.......
The best setup is a "dry - dropper" combination. Use a dry fly on top then rig a Duncan Loop onto the hook of your dry fly for attachment of a nymph. A bead-head nymph will sink while the dry fly floats and acts as a strike indicator.

Pistol Petes are fun to try also. This is a nymph (like a woolly booger) with a small "propeller" on the nose which moves and attracts attention.

You can also try a leaded leader - fly line with a lead core. This will get your lure down to the deep spots where the bigguns hide. If the pond is big enough, use a float tube and some diver's fins to troll the pond.

I just got back two weeks ago from a phenomenal fishing trip. Much to the dismay of my neighbors in camp, I was the only one catching fish.........and they were all whales!! Lots of ppl asking for fishing advice this year. ;)

#13 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 13,024 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 July 2012 - 12:30 PM

I live in Canada... the water is PLENTY cold lol
And I suppose its less a pond and more an old reservoir.... Its like 20-30ft deep in the middle.

That'll work.

#14 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 13,024 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 July 2012 - 12:33 PM

cool, another fishing enthusiast! :thumbup: Well, i'd suggest trying corn (from the can) or small pieces of beef or pork. I've fishing rainbow trouts when i was a child, i always used either can corn or small pieces of meat and sometimes even pieces of squid or mussels....and i rarely went home with empty hands. ;) Now i've got a harpoon and ''hunt'' fish in the sea each summer.

Where I grew up, corn was an illegal bait, as it was said to be indigestible and would kill trout by blocking their intestines. This is just what I heard and remember. I can't verify it.

#15 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 13,024 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 July 2012 - 12:45 PM

I caught the largest trout in my life (not counting steelhead) in the deep water of Lake Shasta. They were Kamloops (a landlocked rainbow, i.e., freshwater steelhead) and German browns. I caught those on a small treble hook with a miniature marshmallow. :lol:

Nowadays the only trout fishing I do is in the creek that runs by my home. I use a fly rod and barbless flies. They are rainbow and cutthroats. The herbicides the logging company uses has really wiped them out. A few steelhead and salmon come up this creek some years, but I mostly just watch them (for hours).

#16 ethnobotanist420

ethnobotanist420

Welcome to the Machine

• OG VIP
  • 3,496 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 July 2012 - 01:06 PM

Holy hell I definitely have some new stuff to try today :D
First of all I gotta downgrade my line a bit like wild said I still have line on from fishing monster pike lol :eusa_doh:
Then I'm gonna bust out my minnow net and see whats lurking in the water and try to replicate it...
I have a good feeling about this :eusa_danc
Thanks for all the Input guys!

#17 mycofish

mycofish

Ichthyomycetes

• Expired Member
  • 192 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 04:32 PM

I usually go from midnight to 3am or so and use small worm pieces like wildedibles said. I've been luck enough no to have opened up a fish to find worms though. yuck!

#18 pinehunter

pinehunter

I'm Crazy Eddie

• Expired Member
  • 235 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 06:52 PM

Not knowing all the local conditions it is hard to venture any worthwhile advice. I have been an avid angler all my life. At age 20 I took up fly fishing and it is my prefered method to take trout, especially from ponds. The only question that really apllies would be is there a morning and evening rise where the trout feed from the surface? Nothing like a trout rising and taking your dry fly.
The rivers in the state I live in are stocked and the hatchery fish don't rise, only the natives do. I gave up freshwater fishing because I prefer ocean fish and don't take the opportunity to fish for trout.
Good luck Entho. You remind me that I'm itching to go fishing myself!

#19 ethnobotanist420

ethnobotanist420

Welcome to the Machine

• OG VIP
  • 3,496 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 July 2012 - 10:56 PM

Nothing! AGAIN!!! lol
Well I found this little guy :mistrust: he was cool but not a rainbow trout lol

Picture 002 edit.JPG

Here's a picture of a about 1/4 of the pond...

Picture 004 edit.JPG

Here's a bit of wild mint, I finally found what I was stepping on that smelled so good lol

Picture 005 edit.JPG

Going fishing at a Local lake tomorrow for Pike an Walleye... Hope I have better luck with that :lol:

Attached Thumbnails

• Picture 001 edit.JPG

#20 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 13,024 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 July 2012 - 12:18 AM

Be sure to toss any species you like into your pond.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!