• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 celdivision

celdivision

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 11:38 PM

Started this for the first time 2 weeks ago. I will post pictures as I get them to the computer. Starting with 5 1/2 pint jars. Made the BRF blend and PCed. I didn't let the jars cool as long as I should have but things appear to have turned out ok with that. I didn't use a glove box. Used a small bathroom. Wiped down all surfaces with iso alcohol and sprayed lysol in the air. Kept the door closed and let things sterilize while I was PCing and prepping. Sterilized a small plastic box to put the jars in to begin colonization and put the box in a black trash bag. Left the foil on the tops of the jars for the first 6 days. After 6 days, removed the jars from the box and removed the foil. I then moved the jars to a sterilized drawer to continue colonization.

Here are two of the jars 4 days later. These 2 really took off:

4 days 2.jpg

Jars at 6 days:

6 days 5.jpg

It is now day 14. Three jars are at 100%. The other 2 are about 90-95%. Those pictures soon. Will be building the FC in the next couple days.

Attached Thumbnails

• 4 days 1.jpg
  • 6 days 1.jpg
  • 6 days 2.jpg
  • 6 days 3.jpg
  • 6 days 4.jpg

• TheSeventhSign likes this

#2 -VX-

-VX-

Nowhere Man

• Free Member
  • 433 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 12:56 AM

WOW! 100% col at 14 days is pretty good! You look like your on the right track. Good vibes to ya.

#3 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,920 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 July 2012 - 03:30 PM

Yeah for sure......Excellent work!

More good vibes coming at you.................... :meditate:

And Welcome to Topia....a legitimate institution of higher learning! :teeth:

#4 ConsciousFeeder

ConsciousFeeder

Too rich the rich king.

• Expired Member
  • 920 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 04:20 PM

Looking good. What are you building as a fruiting chamber?

#5 TheSeventhSign

TheSeventhSign

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 183 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 04:48 PM

Wow thats awesome colonization time!! Especially from a spore syringe. Not to rain on your parade and remember im a super noob but is the growth in the jars as grey and wispy as it looks in the pics? Cause it almost looks like pics I have seen of cobweb mold. Like I said im a noob though so dont go throwing them out or doing something equally drastic without getting a second opinion. I would PM, Cue or one of the other Mods and ask them. The only reason I believe I might be right is, the colonization time you mentioned and the grey wispy way it looks, not like the bright white im used to seeing. Again though ill repeat it, I AM A NOOB AND I BARELY KNOW MY ASS FROM A HOLE IN THE GROUND WHEN IT COMES TO MYC OR CONTAMS. But if I was you I would ask one of the Mycellium Jedis around here to take a closer look. Cheers.

Edited by TheSeventhSign, 23 July 2012 - 04:55 PM.

#6 Cue

Cue

Chat Head

• OG VIP
  • 8,312 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 July 2012 - 04:53 PM

Its fine.

#7 TheSeventhSign

TheSeventhSign

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 183 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 04:57 PM

Its fine.

Cue is it normal for a jar to colonize that much in 4 days from a syringe? I have never seen one take off like that!!

#8 TheSeventhSign

TheSeventhSign

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 183 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 05:00 PM

See, told you not to listen to me. Lol.

#9 Cue

Cue

Chat Head

• OG VIP
  • 8,312 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 July 2012 - 05:38 PM

Well it doesn't look like cobweb and 14 days for full colonization is about right. I think cobweb would taken over the much quicker than that.

#10 Cue

Cue

Chat Head

• OG VIP
  • 8,312 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 July 2012 - 05:42 PM

Cue is it normal for a jar to colonize that much in 4 days from a syringe? I have never seen one take off like that!!

He says " Left the foil on the tops of the jars for the first 6 days. After 6 days, removed the jars from the box and removed the foil. I then moved the jars to a sterilized drawer to continue colonization.

Here are two of the jars 4 days later. "

So it sounds like 10 days total to me.

#11 ConsciousFeeder

ConsciousFeeder

Too rich the rich king.

• Expired Member
  • 920 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 05:55 PM

Three weeks for PF tek 1/2 pints including the week full colonization wait time was what I had from spore syringe. Took about five weeks for me PF tek with full pints. Pics look good and healthy not cobweb.

#12 celdivision

celdivision

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 08:03 PM

No, no cobweb. The lighting in some of the pictures is kinda funky. The mycelium is very white in person. These pictures are from two nights ago which would have been 14 days total. 4 days = 4 days total. 6 days = 6 days total. When I said 4 days later I meant 4 days post inoculation. Sorry about the confusion. I'm just going to build a standard 56 qt sterilite SGFC. About to start doing that after this post.

14 days total:

14 days 7.JPG

Attached Thumbnails

• 14 days 4.JPG
  • 14 days 6.JPG

#13 celdivision

celdivision

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 08:05 PM

Oh, and thank you for all the good vibes.

#14 -VX-

-VX-

Nowhere Man

• Free Member
  • 433 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:56 PM

Im looking at that first pic there and it looks like theres some orange crap in that one. Could be a contam. Or its could just be odd colors from the camera like you said. Keep an eye on it.

#15 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,920 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:11 PM

One thing about jars for sure, when you are sure they are 100% colonized, I would wait another week under incubating conditions to make sure the center of the cakes are colonized, then decide how you will fruit. i.e. wait until pins show in the jars or birth and initiate in the FC. I've had success both ways. Nice work but don't be afraid to slow down a bit either! I love the rhizome! :teeth:

#16 celdivision

celdivision

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:15 PM

Thanks guys! Yeah, all strange colors are from either the camera or the colors in the bathroom. Up close, in person, all is snow white and the seven dwarves! I'm definately going to wait about a week from today before birthing. Today they all show 100% externally, so time to let them sit and finish up. Just got done drilling all the holes in the FC so it's just a waiting game now. :D

#17 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,920 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:19 PM

As I like remind myself......Patience is a necessary virtue in this work.....AAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUMMMMMMMM............ :meditate:

#18 celdivision

celdivision

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 13 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 07:18 PM

So, 21 days after innoculation, I have birthed some cakes:

IMAG0276.jpg

:D

Attached Thumbnails

• IMAG0276.jpg

#19 BirdMan19

BirdMan19

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 47 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 07:33 PM

Nice job so far those are some good looking cakes. Sending good vibes your way and I might be just as excited as you are.

#20 celdivision

celdivision

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 13 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 12:49 AM

Dunked, rolled, and in the fruiting chamber now!

IMAG0287.JPG

Attached Thumbnails

• IMAG0286.jpg

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!