3 replies to this topic

#1 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 7,729 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 August 2012 - 02:21 PM

I just started making beewax wicks. I had bees wax from inoculating logs and an old spool of hemp cordage. I just take about 2 feet at a time and rub some kneeded bee's wax into it. "works great, stays lit, no butane soot in my hit." I should write jingles hehe. When people look at me like it's pointless I just show them what 2 seconds worth of butane soot looks like on a knife. scary yuck.

I found this information to be interesting and felt that it deserved to stand alone for more viewing potential. The following is a pictorial:

make your own bees line (pics)

Thanks, Sorry it took a couple days to do it but here's how I make the bee line

First I found the end of this...you're welcome.
Posted Image
Here's the hemp cord and bee's wax.
Posted Image
This is enough wax for a little more than a foot of cord.Kneed the wax with your hand to soften it up.
Posted Image
Wrap the wax around the cord and run it up and down the length until it is all absorbed. The leaf is for contrast.
Posted Image
Cord shouldn't have much extra wax balled up on it, make sure it's well kneeded before rubbing it in. You don't want hot wax dripping on your legs do you? (don't answer that if you're freaky)
Posted Image
I just had matches on me so used this stick to show how I wrap it around lighters. Very handy.
Posted Image
Stays lit almost like a candle if done correctly.
Posted Image
After the flame goes out the ember burns for a long time as well.

Sorry the last few pics fuzzed up on me.

I have been thinking about melting a bunch of wax and soaking several feet of the hemp cord in it. That's probably how it's done commercially .This way it's done before the wax would be melted, so I haven't bothered going bulk with it.

#2 MycoDani

MycoDani

Myco Chick

• Site Administrator
  • 9,862 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 August 2012 - 08:23 AM

Hell yes beat me to it!!! I love it I want to make my own too!! Awesome job as I love this stuff makes me so happy!

Archive for awesomeness. Grassroots.

#3 mycofish

mycofish

Ichthyomycetes

• Expired Member
  • 192 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 04:36 PM

Thanks, Myc and Dani

#4 MycoDani

MycoDani

Myco Chick

• Site Administrator
  • 9,862 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 August 2012 - 06:41 AM

Of course Mycofish DIY stuff is something that people really need to do more often and it's the small steps that count. I'm going to try it with soaking it in the melted beeswax.
So as soon as I get a little dinero I will be trying your way and the other. I bet you won't be able to tell the difference but I like to play in the kitchen.:teeth:

Great job my friend soon this will go to the Holding Tank then Vaulted! So thank you for taking the time to do this!:thumbup:

Happy Trails and Congrats~Dani

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!