72 replies to this topic

#21 ams1992

ams1992

VIP Member

• Expired Member
  • 1,615 posts

Donator

Posted 03 November 2012 - 11:23 AM

An announcement I made early for People supporting the Project. Thought it'd be great to share it here as well being I've had some interest rise up in the past few days for other people who'd like to develop games. I will create a separate thread documenting the pro's the cons, the amount of work that goes into game development and some of the various possibilities.

Anyways:

The game is back on track. Yesterday one of the Artists left the Team. His heart was no longer in it and he wasn't enthused anymore. He did a lot and for less then what would typically be required so in that I appreciate what he did and the dedication and sacrifices he made for the LifeEssence Project. He is a vital part of my Project, he developed the maps from the vision I'd provide him with, he'd also develop the objects and characters. Needless to say, yesterday I was pretty upset. I thought my Project would have to end because financially I couldn't justify spending much more than I already had planned on this project and Artists are far from inexpensive. I was considering throwing in the towel and hanging this project on the shelf. I evaluated my priorities and choices in life, and though this is probably the most off the wall, impulsive, and far fetched idea I'd ever had, I am glad I followed through. I had a vision, a dream, a goal, and instead of regretting and wondering 'What if?' I just jumped into it. Dived headfirst.

Financially, this project has been concerning me for a long time. Not many people understand the mechanics of game development, but for someone without the skills to create, it's EXTREMELY costly. Definitely not a drop in the bucket. I have other goals and dreams that depend on the success of my creative endeavors, and by pursuing this, I put those on the line. I've spent a lot of time on this, a lot of energy, and in this time life has evolved around me. Not as I had hoped it would, but most great creations are developed in the pits of emotion and despair. This game is a call for hope, it's a creation for inspiration, for creativity, for relativity. Creating this in a dark head-space has been good, it's allowed me to evaluate my current situation, my past situation, and what I truly want for the future and integrate it into my ideas. There's much more than meets the eye to this game, and to experience it will be an interesting venture. By playing the game, you can create your own story. Also, you step into my life, you see my past in metaphor and physical reality, and you see my hopes and dreams materialize.

I'm by no means a direct person, I honestly hate appearing weak, or expressing directly how I feel, though I can easily talk about my experiences in this life. When it comes to creativity, I reach into the depths of emotion, of my mind, and I create from the deepest emotions and thoughts I have. By expressing these thoughts, these emotions, I guard them in riddle, in metaphor, and then I release them. My game is a prime example. With that said, I needed someone with skill, with creativity, and with a fresh outlook to be a part of the Art. My current contractor is that someone, he stepped up and took the role of the Artist. This means the recent pictures you've seen of the Dungeons, of the Apartments, he will be working on the other levels as well. He will build in full my personal favorite levels, and he will create them with my vision and his intertwined. Creatively, he is an extremely talented Man. I feel honored to work with him.

With all of this said, we are working heavily to get this done. We want this to be the best possible. With me doing the Animations I will be creating the moods I want portrayed through surreal scenes with many different ideas, themes, morals, and styles. I'll also be doing the soundtrack and sounds, so those of you who like the Music I create, I will be making the BEST I possibly can at my current level of ability for this game. I'll also likely be making some Life adjustments in the near future. I'm not liking how the present is playing out outside of my project, so hopefully these changes will go smoothly and will help the current state of things. Expect more news soon.

Don't give up on your dreams. The regret of 'What if?' Is far stronger than the disappointment of a project that wasn't well received.

Attached Thumbnails

• LifeEssenceLeaderboard2.jpg

Edited by ams1992, 03 November 2012 - 11:33 AM.

#22 ams1992

ams1992

VIP Member

• Expired Member
  • 1,615 posts

Donator

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:32 PM

Figured I'd update you all. It's coming along well. Went through some crazy times for awhile but now we're back on top of it. We're looking at hopefully releasing a Holiday Demo with all of the Storyline updates and Gameplay changes.

These are all Beta, so I adjusted brightness myself to show the scene better. In game it will likely be much better. Still in development so the lighting isn't full.

aptsunshafts.jpg

hallway5.jpg

Edited by ams1992, 29 November 2012 - 10:29 PM.

#23 Erkee

Erkee

Trolls'R'us

• Expired Member
  • 1,477 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:37 PM

what kinds of attributes will your gameplay have,
how bending the psyche,
and what are some of the effects you use?

#24 ams1992

ams1992

VIP Member

• Expired Member
  • 1,615 posts

Donator

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:19 PM

There are Entities within the levels that will attempt to harm you. They will take Essence, which are Orbs found throughout the levels. The Essence is your means of survival, your Life. You can use the Essence to help the Entities or to help yourself. Either way once you're out of Essence you restart the level you were currently on. Interaction with the Entities can be done in various ways. One way is to give them Essence, another is to give them Objects you collect. Both are extremely important to you within the game. When wandering about they will seek you out and try to steal your Essence and Objects, only by giving it to them will any benefit occur. Evading the Entities can help you if you're in a pinch. Using actions within the game you can initiate Deep Breathing. When this is utilized it slows down time which also causes their movement to slow. You retain speed. Deep breathing can be initiated by using some of your Essence. Another action that can be used is Sleep. This is as it sounds. Your character rests. The purpose of this is to restart your character at the beginning of the Level. He/She retains all of the gathered Objects and Essence but the Entities are elsewhere. Essentially, this is a second chance and temporary safety. It can be used as a helpful last resort or to help you if you're stuck in the game. The last mechanism is Admiration. This is something we're working heavily on. The Admiration Item is something dear to the character that can be used to help him/her in their Journey. It can be kept, revisited, used as a time slowing device, and can be taken by the Entities. It is limited by use though, and some functions only will work if certain paths are followed. It's up to you to find out what those paths are in-game.

The way I see the game is it can mean anything. It can mean everything. Your mind makes it what it is. The art is highly detailed, the story-line is vague and meant to provoke thought, the worlds hold different items that mean different things. It's not made to act like a horror game where the psyche is disturbed, or the story-line is shrouded in fear. It's not made to act like a First Person Shooter where the game is primarily Action. It's made to be an 'Introspective Adventure' one where things are presented, but not given, and as you progress my hopes are that you begin to see the many layers within the game. It could be like a trip in itself.

I will be using many different things I have learned about over these last few years to make something unique that can be used as not only a game, but a tool as well. Upon completion, new modes hopefully will be developed. These will allow it to be more of a tool, but also can still be used as a game. I'm really excited about where it's gone. As for Effects, we haven't used much really. The textures, these were modified by our current Artist. He's very skilled at what he does, the effects themselves are just used to add mood. Not necessarily change too much within the game. We're focusing on the realism of the game world and the states within them.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]292724[/ATTACH]

Attached Thumbnails

• le.jpg

Edited by ams1992, 30 November 2012 - 05:14 AM.

#25 ams1992

ams1992

VIP Member

• Expired Member
  • 1,615 posts

Donator

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:11 AM

Figured I'd show a bit of the Spectrum when it comes to LifeEssence with the revamped Woodlands.

a1 (2).jpg

f1.jpg

Edited by ams1992, 03 December 2012 - 09:17 AM.

#26 ams1992

ams1992

VIP Member

• Expired Member
  • 1,615 posts

Donator

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:26 PM

Just a video of a bit of the Environments you'll encounter in this game as well as a description of the basic direction this game has taken:

LifeEssence is the story of you.

'The Observer.'

You are a being with the attributes of a Human, but you are missing a piece. The Mouth. As an Observer you can only see, hear, and interact without speech. You are in strange lands governed by Goddesses. These 3 Goddesses oversee all you do and they are known as 'The Trium.' As you search through these lands your means of survival is Essence. Orbs scattered about across the ground, hidden, and some locked away. You choose what you will with these Orbs, they are as necessary as you make them. They are a means of Evasion, of Protection, of Goodwill, or a means of Choice. They brighten your Journey and determine your path in the eyes of the Trium. On your search you are shown different environments that the Trium govern. Some hostile, some content. All but one are plagued by entities known as the Shadow and the Shadow Family. The Trium will guide you when they feel it necessary, but in most instances you are your own guidance. Your choices are followed by the Trium, and as you progress they will show you what you need to see, they will tell you what you need to hear. The Shadow and Shadow Family will ravenously try to steal your Essence, to break your will, but as the Observer you must go on if you are to ever be whole.

http://youtu.be/xfgoJrYTM9A

#27 ethnobotanist420

ethnobotanist420

Welcome to the Machine

• OG VIP
  • 3,525 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:41 PM

Damn, ams, that looks really good!
Awesome graphics.

#28 ams1992

ams1992

VIP Member

• Expired Member
  • 1,615 posts

Donator

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:48 PM

Thank you, it definitely evolved a ton from where it was:

385486_475720672439103_1021302023_n.jpg

I remember when we first started this 9 months ago. I told my team: I don't want a game, I want interactive art. A place to showcase music and just explore. I thought that was an awesome idea, but they heard my environment plans and they said 'maybe think on a game.' I said alright, and I thought about it. Came up with an extremely basic concept. Had no idea how much it would take to create in cost or resources, or time. I hoped it would be done in 6 months. 9 months later we've lost one from our team, gained 3 others, and we're making it the best we possibly can. That basic idea evolved into a story and that story when seen in many perspectives can be much bigger than presented. There's had to be some sacrifices, but the improvements far outweigh the sacrifice, and it's mainly time that has been affected. We're really working hard on this. I'm enjoying developing the story and soon will be bringing it to life with Animations. It's been a journey, that's for sure.

LE_Forest_Level_Final 2012-12-09 21-14-26-27.jpg

Edited by ams1992, 17 December 2012 - 09:56 PM.

#29 ams1992

ams1992

VIP Member

• Expired Member
  • 1,615 posts

Donator

Posted 01 January 2013 - 06:51 PM

What have I been up to? So so much. To be honest my mind has been on overdrive making this better and better. No longer are levels linear, no longer is the story line underdeveloped, no longer are cut-scenes a problem. Art has been a focus throughout this whole project. How can we make this an Artistic, Spiritually, Emotionally, and Mentally engaging game? It's not huge but with the things I'm putting into it, the things I've learned and experienced and the things I've learned from others. I'm excited. Very to be honest. Just today I brought on 4 amateur and in-college illustrators for cut-scene design. They will be creating environments that I will animate and add characters to and story, and objects. Picture if you will a Pop-Up book. Many have experienced them as children. Now imagine that this Pop-Up book was live, the Characters moved about, interacted with each other, shared advice, memories, stories, and riddles. Imagine that this Pop-Up book style is created by multiple Artists, all with different styles, creating a collage of fine art and beauty. Imagine that this Pop-Up book has sound design, music, and voice actors and actresses. That these scenes vary with how you play the game, who you create yourself to be. Your experience varies with who you are and what you do. Your choices. The dream is becoming real and I'm excited for it.

Attached Thumbnails

• Development Shot.jpg

#30 caitojones

caitojones

The Space Pope

• Expired Member
  • 479 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:06 PM

I'm lovin the graphics, but where are the zombies, guns, and improvised weaponry? Sorry, but if there's no player-on-zombie violence, count me out :P

#31 ams1992

ams1992

VIP Member

• Expired Member
  • 1,615 posts

Donator

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:14 PM

Lol nah, the Characters are getting put in now. No zombies though. Technically dead, but in a Spiritual and Emotional sense. Wandering lost spirits who become malevolent when they realize you have what their greedy hands want. The game itself is an adventure, you choose what happens though. Fight or Flight. Up to you. You're watched by the Goddesses, and guided by the light of the Spirit Child. Everyone and Everything wants you to succeed but the Shadow and Shadow Family. The lost Spirits. The Goddesses occasionally will trick you for their own entertainment, but it's all in jest. Maybe. The action is mainly psychological, but you will encounter some pretty intense fights if you choose to. Those Spirits get pretty feisty when they want to steal what keeps you alive, moving, and progressing towards good. It's strange, it's different, and I hope it hits who it would impact the most and those looking for that unique change in gaming.

I wanted to break away from the traditional violence and action and focus more on things I've learned here, in life, and elsewhere, as well as from other people. I figured a game would be an interesting medium to share.

#32 ams1992

ams1992

VIP Member

• Expired Member
  • 1,615 posts

Donator

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:53 PM

male victorian.jpg

A sneak peek no one but the developers and few friends have seen. One of the Shadow Family in his rawest form. Just developed and sent from the Artists. With some work he will be intensely improved and quite intimidating.

#33 ams1992

ams1992

VIP Member

• Expired Member
  • 1,615 posts

Donator

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:02 AM

YES! ! ! :teeth:

One of my Favorite bands is going to be featured in my Game! I'm not going to disclose who yet, but I'm sure it's a group many of you will like. They will be featured in my personal favorite level, which I am not revealing early either. I'm just in happy shock that they even said yes. I went on a limb to ask them and we came to an agreement and they allowed me one song out of their entire catalog. Things are shaping well. Thus far we have the story being integrated, and the Animations are working well. Likely within 1-2 months we'll be live.

#34 ethnobotanist420

ethnobotanist420

Welcome to the Machine

• OG VIP
  • 3,525 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:29 PM

Hell yea, Dude!!!!
Congrats :eusa_danc
Can't wait to see the finished product!

#35 ams1992

ams1992

VIP Member

• Expired Member
  • 1,615 posts

Donator

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:37 PM

shadowpeople.jpg

apartmentnew.jpg

Since your interested Ethno :) Here's a sneak peek. (The dungeon Lighting is being adjusted so the image is my personal editing.)

#36 ethnobotanist420

ethnobotanist420

Welcome to the Machine

• OG VIP
  • 3,525 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:43 PM

Damn, the graphics look great...
I don't know anything about the process of making a game but I assume it would be a ridiculous amount of work.
Major props to you man.

#37 ams1992

ams1992

VIP Member

• Expired Member
  • 1,615 posts

Donator

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:07 PM

Thank you.
I plan to release a newsletter mailing list on how I went about doing it when it's released. I didn't know anything about game development when I started. Figured it'd be done in 6 months. Here we are about a year later with many employee changes and ideas put in. The costs have been daunting. I've been literally afraid because of how much this has costed me personally. I was called to it though, I have to complete it. It'll all be worth it upon release. Though I may be transferring it over to a FOAF for release. Someone who hasn't done any of the things I have here. I'd like it to have a clean slate.

#38 Erkee

Erkee

Trolls'R'us

• Expired Member
  • 1,477 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:12 PM

glad you're getting it done there!
i too am building steam..
better and better wading through all the details
(holds breath and dives under again)
:)

#39 ams1992

ams1992

VIP Member

• Expired Member
  • 1,615 posts

Donator

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:06 PM

Getting close to releasing a Video Demo and starting a Fundraising Campaign (Savings can only go so far. If we don't get external funding I may have to put this on hold for an undetermined amount of time. I'm hoping I won't have to.) Expecting a Week or Two before having something to present.

Attached Thumbnails

• cathedral3.jpg

#40 ams1992

ams1992

VIP Member

• Expired Member
  • 1,615 posts

Donator

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:21 PM

Some huge changes coming soon. Expect a video in likely 2 weeks :teeth:

Attached Thumbnails

• 00000000000.jpg