Posted 24 January 2008 - 12:57 PM

im on 7 or 8 w some pesa...still goin

#22 jarethfox

jarethfox

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 49 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 05:54 AM

My FOAF has been doing g2g, and he was wondering that once growing slowed and what not and he needed to begin a new set again, would he be able to get and use a fresh print from a grow, or would he in fact need to use a print from the very beginning or not. If its the latter, it could get interesting once hes used up his original print. Please lemme know!! Thanks guys!!

#23 siam_jim

siam_jim

Mycotopia Mod

• Expired Member
  • 1,853 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 06:27 AM

you can start a new grow from either one as long they are viable...

siam

#24 jarethfox

jarethfox

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 49 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 07:33 AM

Does the quality and speed go back to normal as if it were an original or will growth stay stagnant?

#25 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 15,849 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 February 2008 - 07:54 AM

how many times can i g2g before it would be better to start a new myc colonsisation. one can only g2g so many times before the myc gets tired and old and more suceptible to contams

You can push the boundaries on that if you change up your substrate some.

#26 Guest_floppypeter_*

Guest_floppypeter_*

Posted 16 February 2008 - 11:31 AM

i know a FOAF easily at 10 generations for a PESA isolate.

The only noticeable difference in gene expression has been 80% sterile shrooms ( no spores ) at this point.

An isolate may work and perform differently than a clone or a multi spore mycellium sample during grain to grain transfers.

It would make sense that they would perform different, because they are slightly different in genetic make up.

I.e an isolate contains many genes that may express themselves in a few ways when fruited. Think of it as picking the best 7 shrooms (sets of genes) out of a flush and copying them.

A clone is a single set of genes copied. IMhO clones won't last as long transferring as isolates because the genetic structure doesn't have other genetic information to dominate when it fails ( 1 shroom vs. 7 dif shrooms)

Multispore can contain many different sub strains in one jar all constantly competing. IMO ms would last the longest # of transfers transfers.

IMO, the more genetic varity that you have the longer your transfers will last. The less genetic varity that you have, it will become more prone to errors of copying those genes.

I was going to start a new thread on this cause I thought it was interesting and this thread was in my subscription box when i logged on lol coincidence.

using a high ratio of colonized spawn to fresh grain may also help the sample transfer well for a longer period of time. ime, Less genetic copying = more genetic stability.

he plans on running the isolate until some kind of failure occurs.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!