• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 570rm57

570rm57

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 01:49 AM

Im all about extractions just at the moment.

I have tried all sorts of solvents and methods just recently. This involved hours of reading and experimentation but i have not gone as far as isomerisation quite yet but am on the way there.

Im just starting to try different equipment at the moment i am using the pot still like in the book cannabis alchemy does anybody else have experience with the extractions in the book??? I really like getting all my solvent back. My usual solvent is IPA But it appears PET Ether is better. I am not so sure though it gets a terrible taste, after three extractions 100g each with fuelite different brands all distilled in the pot still before extraction i still get a not nice after taste. Is it something to do with my pot still??? ive cleaned and cleaned it.

Also in the book cannibis alchemy is the most un-selective wash i have ever tried and i could not get the oil to turn honey gold even after water washing etc, maybe i did something wrong anyone have good results with it.

#2 570rm57

570rm57

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 07:47 AM

A lil exp

The wash in the extraction method u describe is very similar to the one in cannabis alchemy and Dr Atomic's marijuana multiplier .

I am currently experimenting with this method it does a great job in my initial tests which have not been completed yet.
So far starting with approx. 500g of previously heavily washed plant matter I extracted approx 8.07 grams it still had a very faint chlorophyll contamination but its final appearance was gold enough that when evaporated it was mistaken for what i call second wash.
It did however have a not to prominent nasty after taste and left a slight residue on the knife but this was only noticed by a small number of those who partook. It was amazing just how much i had missed and just how much it cleaned up. I am weary to try with good stuff yet though.

I have some random crap wash leftover from cleaning up that i hav been saving has acetone and ipa in it after no paying attention so im going to take some pics of the water washing as per method in cannabis alchemy after i get some more fuelite

Edited by 570rm57, 24 August 2012 - 11:42 AM.
Update

#3 570rm57

570rm57

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 11:24 AM

This is hyphs method but with frosty cold iso for the first extraction dried plant matter and then washed and dewaxed as perscribed by him this is 48 hours exposed to charcoal but at 24hours was toped up with more active carbon and washed and dewaxed extract because the first did not give any wax etc so i used a different plant matter and got some wax the second time so tried dewaxing the whole lot but no more wax. The active charcoal is the kind used for ethanol ditstilled in hombrewing stills, i have been reading loads about the different kind of active carbon there is much to learn the way it is activated and its carbon source determine how it is best used this particular carbon may have not been perfect for this application but has still made a nice job.
Jar2.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• Jar.jpg

Edited by 570rm57, 24 August 2012 - 11:35 AM.
missed important data

#4 570rm57

570rm57

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 05:15 PM

About ethanol,
Um yeah about it, my friend distills ethanol it comes out just over 97% ABV according to 2 different hydrometers, does this need drying for extractions what is the best practices to stop from absorbing h20 from the air. All said and done with my current experiments and hobbies i use about 3L of acetone 20L of IPA 4L of Fuelite (im still a little unsure whether fuelite is naptha or pet ether) and the odd amount of di-ethyl ether every 2 weeks. Id like to be able to forgo the 20L of IPA it works out about the same per litre

#5 570rm57

570rm57

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 06:16 PM

About Fuelite distillation AkA Pet Ether Or Naphtha.

Before I used a taller pot for my pot still, it is the first time I have used the shorter pot still for Pet Ether. It behaved a bit different from the taller one I can only vap approx. 300ml at a time it then I have to cool it remove distilled Pet ether and heat again it vaped about 300ml off just now again and there is about 250ml left i assume it gets ever so slightly above atmospheric pressure. I make 2L ice cream container ice cubes because they stack in the freezer and last 2-4 hrs depending on things like air temp and boiling temp of solvent being distilled. The White ceramic dish that is my favourite now with stainless colander and stainless pot that fits inside, the collection pot has etched/engraved 500ml marks inside that I can see through the glass bowl when the ice has melted its real handy as long as you measure your solvent before you can begin you can see when you are almost done and finish with open air vap untill you have your preferred consistency.

I am planing to make a condenser from a couple of handy sized bottles or with some borosilicate glass tubing I found for sale probable both, we have what we call a gypsy fair and a guy and his wife were making glass stuff this past visit on a small scale so i dont know if i will by the torch to do a good job myself or just wait and hope hes with them again in a few more months.

Pot Still3.jpg

A little while later....

2012-08-25 13.58.07.jpg
This was done with a bit of water at the end of vap i will give credit to the right person when i remember which tek it was!

This pet ether wash was done immediately after approx. 0.5lb washed with 7L of IPA, a mix of whole plants (minus the heavy mature tasty bits) that had been separated for more even drying I ah um-mm oven dried the stalks (i hope that wasnt like using a C word in church). The popcorn and other plant material was air dried in a cool roof space, weather in the location is mould heaven so a fire was lit and the roof space was hot at one end but cold and dry at the other it worked great.

Everything was put in the freezer for about 12hrs prior to the wash, after the pet ether it was washed with a small amount of acetone and left to drain as completely as possible (that is saved for another extract experiment i wish to see just how much it can be cleaned).

All vessels were cooled before hand also and stood in an oven tray of ice and washed there and put back in the freezer filtering was also done there.

Attached Thumbnails

• Pot Still.jpg
  • Pot Still2.jpg
  • Pot Still1.jpg
  • 2012-08-25 13.58.19.jpg
  • 2012-08-25 14.17.19.jpg
  • 2012-08-25 13.57.58.jpg

Edited by 570rm57, 24 August 2012 - 11:05 PM.
New data

#6 570rm57

570rm57

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 14 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 06:50 AM

All right next experiment was decarboxylation and it worked but im not gonna post a picture of my lab mate hammered on the couch

So it was 3rd/4th wash no water wash no dewax but its till nice getting real nice results and yields using a range of solvents at correct times, I smeared a little round the edge so you can see colour.
Tubs.jpg

Next comes prep of my cleanup solvent by distillation for the clean up experiment.
2012-08-25 17.29.25.jpg
It is a lot less green than i thought it would be but still green enough that i will have a good idea about how much its been cleaned but still leave a decent amount of goods to clean.
Its almost vaped it will be kept till i have finnished this.........

Scales3.jpg

I got like a small superstition going on I used Tea Bags as filter in the past and they occasionally rip so even though i dot have that prob now i still make my bottle up so it filters it self i never squash the plant matter i shake tap and chop
Scales4.jpg
This is a Filter sock from a dairy farm it is a very good first filter and coupled with tapping the bottle as i call it allows good contact but also good flow. If its 100g of plant matter or less i go straight to a coffee filter more if its more i use the filters that came with my active Carbon then a coffee filter in the beginning i thought that it should be the other way round and i was wrong =(
Filter Sock.jpg
Notice the leafy stuff at bottom then the mix of everything that isnt nice head on top i keep tapping and shaking and chopping the finner material falls thorugh i just keep putting it in the top and keep tappin shaking and chopping till near nothing falls through
Funnel Filter.jpg
I am going to have some experimentation at making some glass funnels this week
Chillin.jpg
Freezing

I have now been awake a day or three with a few power naps in between the still is cooling with the rubbish stuff in it i will collect that after some sleep and begin to vap the batch that has been washed de waxed and exposed to active carbon i hope that it is ok that it has had such a long time with the carbon.

Forgot to post this with the other pics, This is the extract after the water wash a couple of poeple seen it at this stage we couldnt help it we had to try what is now termed hokey pokey hash oil and it was definitely cleaner than when i tasted the dish straight after vapping
2012-08-18 14.28.50.jpg

It Has given me the idea that maybe when isomerizing i coul leav slightly acid then ad small amount of baking soda and water and finnish in an oil bath and it would fizz just like hokey pokey in science class (ahhh ummm last year i wish). Should not hav used my phone for this one its not really showing the correct colour Grainy etc. AHHHHHHHHHHHUUUUUUMMMMMM ZZZZZZZZleeep tim....

Attached Thumbnails

• 2012-08-25 17.30.10.jpg
  • Scales.jpg
  • Scales2.jpg
  • Plant matter.jpg
  • Plant matter2.jpg
  • Plant matter3.jpg
  • 2012-08-18 14.28.40.jpg

Edited by 570rm57, 25 August 2012 - 09:19 AM.
update

#7 570rm57

570rm57

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 14 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 09:55 PM

Been sleeping for a few hours and here we are my shortcut didnt work so there was wasted product i used a whole filtering system for homebrew alcohol but it didnt filter it very well
2012-08-26 11.39.32.jpg So i re filtered with Cotton wool and settled it in freezer used a syryringe add more solvent settled..repat..1.3 ahh till i was happy

And

2012-08-26 14.32.40.jpg
Not much here but wow its the most awesome shade not sure that the cell ph cam can show its freaky colour this is hyphs water wash acetone dewax active carbon technique, i am very suspiscious about a delicious fruity odour gonna hav to research that hope i can still smoke this crazy pure stuff

Edited by 570rm57, 25 August 2012 - 11:33 PM.
Strange yummy smell

#8 570rm57

570rm57

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 14 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 04:58 AM

My thanks to Dipole for educating me bout Acetone just a tiny bit more heat and the fruity smell is gone

#9 570rm57

570rm57

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 01:07 PM

Morning from where i am, today im finishing a cannabis alchemy extraction using IPA will post the odd pic only diff is im going to do hot water submersion water wash rather than petroleum ether water liquid - liquid extraction i no longer have easy access to really nice fuelite to distil.

Also be some preliminary pics of my multifunction still being assembled out of old milking machine parts

#10 570rm57

570rm57

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:09 PM

Sorry Guys update fail logistical issues and no adsl at the new address getting something sorted though a couple of pics to show though more next week
2013-02-16_13-57-29_125.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• 2013-02-15_23-51-48_962.jpg
  • 2013-02-15_23-59-09_289.jpg
  • 2013-02-16_13-57-19_132.jpg

#11 570rm57

570rm57

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:13 PM

just had to show off the new bigger pot still both at once