8 replies to this topic

#1 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,998 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 August 2012 - 11:43 AM

I have access to a ton of these crab apples I noticed that they are all red now and the taste has changed to more sweet flavor now turning deep red
Help what shall I do with all these sweet treats
I was thinking to add maple syrup
a friend suggested brown sugar
I then suggested extra molasses :) yum yum I could just taste this nector now :)

#2 Blueringer

Blueringer

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 494 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 12:01 PM

I have access to a ton of these crab apples I noticed that they are all red now and the taste has changed to more sweet flavor now turning deep red
Help what shall I do with all these sweet treats
I was thinking to add maple syrup
a friend suggested brown sugar
I then suggested extra molasses :) yum yum I could just taste this nector now :)

I never had a "sweet" crab apple. I thought they were all sour? I remember a big tree in my elementy school playground and we would dare eachother to eat them without making that "sour face".:lol:

#3 Raziel

Raziel

We will ... live forever

• Expired Member
  • 2,375 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 August 2012 - 05:14 PM

Make some cider or apple wine.

#4 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,998 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 September 2012 - 07:21 PM

Ok I decided to cook these slow in a crock pot :) that way I do not burn them while I go about my busy day :)

anyway I started with double crock pot full of apples cooked them down to mush core skin and all
.. then I strained them threw a big strainer
... them a smaller one
then cooked more 2 more crock pots full of apples while the other one cooled down covered it and put in the fridge

now other 2 crock pots full of apples have cooked to much and strained it added it all together in 2 crock pots

so I have 2 crock pots cooked down and strained again threw a propper mesh bag for squezing wine :)
Have one crock pot now :) oh ya totaly forgot about all that brown sugar in it or molassas well I didnt measure it anyway lol couple of hand fulls in each crock pot I sweetened it to taste they still have a bite of tartness but a sweet taste too

I also added some nice spices cinnamon, a few cloves, ginger, mace, nutmeg :) some secrete stash special spices ;)treasure my whole mace and nutmeg ;) it reminds me of apple pie yum yum

no since I have a thick syrup now I am tempted to can it but ya know I wana stay within the forum and make some cider outa this ...... :) dont have too much to work with but have a very concentrated syrup and I might just can a couple little tasters for syrup :)
  • OnyxObelisk likes this

#5 Quixtus

Quixtus

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 258 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 12:55 AM

I vote for booze, too! :hitit:

#6 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,998 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 September 2012 - 08:14 AM

Thats funny
I kinda messed up my dandelion wine but i think i messed it up from the begginging anyway

C 1st time making wine I went too basic bottle and balloon it works for like half rest vinagar less control on the air...

2nd time too many new things to try and I think the yeast was old I never once seen bubbles come out now opps havent checked on it in a month and all the water evaporated out of the air lock so I have a huge water jug full of Vinagar humm.... at least it will work for cleaning grrr...

so my fault trying to do way tooo many things at one time

I have a small amount of this stuff even smaller saving a bit for syrup :)
so smaller amount smaller bottle less vinegar in the end LOL no I wanna try and do it right just haven't thought of an idea to go forward from here need to check the bottles I have ..... I have an air lock now try and fit it on a smaller bottle ...
  • Spooner likes this

#7 twoguysupnorth

twoguysupnorth

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 1,895 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 02:00 PM

Its been a while but I always assumed crab apples were green too. Those are just wild or un named apples I think but real "crab apples" are tiny red fruits, almost like berry size. I picked some last year and fermented them in water kefir. It tasted very good but had a whiff of something not as appetizing, but it didnt affect the taste. Didnt seem dangerous as it just smelled of earth kind of, so I drank it. Still alive you see. :)

#8 Spooner

Spooner

Horney Toad

• Black VIP
  • 2,752 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 June 2014 - 05:55 PM

Thats funny
I kinda messed up my dandelion wine but i think i messed it up from the begginging anyway

C 1st time making wine I went too basic bottle and balloon it works for like half rest vinagar less control on the air...

2nd time too many new things to try and I think the yeast was old I never once seen bubbles come out now opps havent checked on it in a month and all the water evaporated out of the air lock so I have a huge water jug full of Vinagar humm.... at least it will work for cleaning grrr...

so my fault trying to do way tooo many things at one time

I have a small amount of this stuff even smaller saving a bit for syrup :)
so smaller amount smaller bottle less vinegar in the end LOL no I wanna try and do it right just haven't thought of an idea to go forward from here need to check the bottles I have ..... I have an air lock now try and fit it on a smaller bottle ...

Different yeast got in there wilde but vinegar is useful also, just not for drinking.

• wildedibles likes this

#9 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,998 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 June 2014 - 01:47 AM

yes it is and I used it in cooking or salads and used it for cleaning so it wasnt wasted ;)

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!