19 replies to this topic

#1 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,491 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 August 2012 - 11:43 AM

I have access to a ton of these crab apples I noticed that they are all red now and the taste has changed to more sweet flavor now turning deep red
Help what shall I do with all these sweet treats
I was thinking to add maple syrup
a friend suggested brown sugar
I then suggested extra molasses :) yum yum I could just taste this nector now :)

#2 Blueringer

Blueringer

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 494 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 12:01 PM

I have access to a ton of these crab apples I noticed that they are all red now and the taste has changed to more sweet flavor now turning deep red
Help what shall I do with all these sweet treats
I was thinking to add maple syrup
a friend suggested brown sugar
I then suggested extra molasses :) yum yum I could just taste this nector now :)

I never had a "sweet" crab apple. I thought they were all sour? I remember a big tree in my elementy school playground and we would dare eachother to eat them without making that "sour face".:lol:
  • wildedibles likes this

#3 Raziel

Raziel

We will ... live forever

• Expired Member
  • 2,375 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 August 2012 - 05:14 PM

Make some cider or apple wine.
  • wildedibles likes this

#4 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,491 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 September 2012 - 07:21 PM

Ok I decided to cook these slow in a crock pot :) that way I do not burn them while I go about my busy day :)

anyway I started with double crock pot full of apples cooked them down to mush core skin and all
.. then I strained them threw a big strainer
... them a smaller one
then cooked more 2 more crock pots full of apples while the other one cooled down covered it and put in the fridge

now other 2 crock pots full of apples have cooked to much and strained it added it all together in 2 crock pots

so I have 2 crock pots cooked down and strained again threw a propper mesh bag for squezing wine :)
Have one crock pot now :) oh ya totaly forgot about all that brown sugar in it or molassas well I didnt measure it anyway lol couple of hand fulls in each crock pot I sweetened it to taste they still have a bite of tartness but a sweet taste too

I also added some nice spices cinnamon, a few cloves, ginger, mace, nutmeg :) some secrete stash special spices ;)treasure my whole mace and nutmeg ;) it reminds me of apple pie yum yum

no since I have a thick syrup now I am tempted to can it but ya know I wana stay within the forum and make some cider outa this ...... :) dont have too much to work with but have a very concentrated syrup and I might just can a couple little tasters for syrup :)
  • OnyxObelisk likes this

#5 Quixtus

Quixtus

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 258 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 12:55 AM

I vote for booze, too! :hitit:
  • wildedibles likes this

#6 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,491 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 September 2012 - 08:14 AM

Thats funny
I kinda messed up my dandelion wine but i think i messed it up from the begginging anyway

C 1st time making wine I went too basic bottle and balloon it works for like half rest vinagar less control on the air...

2nd time too many new things to try and I think the yeast was old I never once seen bubbles come out now opps havent checked on it in a month and all the water evaporated out of the air lock so I have a huge water jug full of Vinagar humm.... at least it will work for cleaning grrr...

so my fault trying to do way tooo many things at one time

I have a small amount of this stuff even smaller saving a bit for syrup :)
so smaller amount smaller bottle less vinegar in the end LOL no I wanna try and do it right just haven't thought of an idea to go forward from here need to check the bottles I have ..... I have an air lock now try and fit it on a smaller bottle ...
  • Spooner likes this

#7 twoguysupnorth

twoguysupnorth

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 02:00 PM

Its been a while but I always assumed crab apples were green too. Those are just wild or un named apples I think but real "crab apples" are tiny red fruits, almost like berry size. I picked some last year and fermented them in water kefir. It tasted very good but had a whiff of something not as appetizing, but it didnt affect the taste. Didnt seem dangerous as it just smelled of earth kind of, so I drank it. Still alive you see. :)

#8 Spooner

Spooner

Horney Toad

• Black VIP
  • 2,752 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 June 2014 - 05:55 PM

Thats funny
I kinda messed up my dandelion wine but i think i messed it up from the begginging anyway

C 1st time making wine I went too basic bottle and balloon it works for like half rest vinagar less control on the air...

2nd time too many new things to try and I think the yeast was old I never once seen bubbles come out now opps havent checked on it in a month and all the water evaporated out of the air lock so I have a huge water jug full of Vinagar humm.... at least it will work for cleaning grrr...

so my fault trying to do way tooo many things at one time

I have a small amount of this stuff even smaller saving a bit for syrup :)
so smaller amount smaller bottle less vinegar in the end LOL no I wanna try and do it right just haven't thought of an idea to go forward from here need to check the bottles I have ..... I have an air lock now try and fit it on a smaller bottle ...

Different yeast got in there wilde but vinegar is useful also, just not for drinking.

• wildedibles likes this

#9 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,491 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 June 2014 - 01:47 AM

yes it is and I used it in cooking or salads and used it for cleaning so it wasnt wasted ;)

#10 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,491 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 July 2020 - 08:45 AM

Ok another old bump for my memory sorry but this is when i started putting apple cores out in the yard
Now i have trees everywhere and this is the 3rd year ive had fruit from one 2nd year and i have a few new ones to try this year
My tree in the middle is probably from this batch of cores and apples that were too ripe or unusable
And dumped them in the middle of the yard
Its 3rd year fruiting is full of crab apples:)

They look different from the parent plant but there was a tiny dark crab apple next to it so they would have cross pollinated and made this new tree
Which has big crab apples but very dark red ones
Even as they grow they are very dark red skin
Very beautiful they are very tart now but good cant wait till they are ripe late spring before the frost for this tree i found is best better flavor and not over ripe
So they are an early apple
So the tree would be only 8 years old
Bumb because i thought it was ten when it flowered 3 years ago but it would have been only 5 then wow
See what a little care and good strong genetics can do fruit in 5 years lots of fruit in 8 not ten to twenty years

We do feed it and its growing in with a Scott's pine tree i believe it protects it
I cut the pine so the apple gets sun

And yes they are crab apples not no cool yummy variety but i like crab apples they are strong
And remind me of childhood filling my waggon up full of tiny crab apples and making my mom apple mud pies :) and the taste of childhood

I don't drink anymore but i made some good easy apple cider vinegar last year its all gone now but i kept the mother at the bottom to make more

Dont cook it :) i will share how i do it in a month or two
  • mushit and Arathu like this

#11 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 2,236 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 July 2020 - 11:09 AM

I have never heard of people eating crab apples... There are tons on the farm, I was always told NOT to eat them...

• wildedibles likes this

#12 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 8,620 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 July 2020 - 12:30 PM

It's common for people to grow crab apples up here as pollinators (they are excellent pollinators) for their other apple trees.   Though the fruit they make up here is more the size of a small cherry at best, much smaller than what I've seen in the lower 48. 

They are definitely edible, though not generally desirable.  More often than not, folks turn them into jelly if they take the time to harvest them.

• wildedibles and PJammer24 like this

#13 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 2,236 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 July 2020 - 12:38 PM

It's common for people to grow crab apples up here as pollinators (they are excellent pollinators) for their other apple trees.   Though the fruit they make up here is more the size of a small cherry at best, much smaller than what I've seen in the lower 48. 

They are definitely edible, though not generally desirable.  More often than not, folks turn them into jelly if they take the time to harvest them.

well shit... I guess I shouldn't always listen to my mummy!

• wildedibles and Juthro like this

#14 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 8,620 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 July 2020 - 01:00 PM

If you ever eat one right off the tree you might decide that your mom was right, lol.  They are unbelievably tart when uncooked.

• mushit, Arathu, wildedibles and 1 other like this

#15 mushit

mushit

Shit Lover

• OG VIP
  • 2,238 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 July 2020 - 01:45 PM

We used to eat the crab apples right off the tree when we were kids.

We loved them.

Not so much any more.  I goes to show how much our taste buds change as we grow.

• wildedibles and Juthro like this

#16 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,491 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 July 2020 - 09:45 AM

I have never heard of people eating crab apples... There are tons on the farm, I was always told NOT to eat them...

They are strong could clean you out if you eat too many
They grow stronger in northern places so are used more sometimes
But only for apple butter or you can make cider / vinegar...jelly...
Things you would only use small amounts because they will clean you out
Ours are not too tart but they are sour I don't mind them only like one or two a day when they are ripe
Lol my mom always warning us not too many or we get the poops ;) lol
Same as choke cherry and black cherries:) better for jellys
  • PJammer24 likes this

#17 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,491 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 July 2020 - 09:49 AM

Ya harvesting can be a hassle lol but I was trained as a kid and love it

I also put all apple cores out there some from a friend's she has lots of different apple trees ;) I can't wait to see what fruit I get grown from seed

I probably need to clone some of her nice eating trees to these trees too :)
I'm trying to learn more about that
  • Juthro likes this

#18 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,491 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 July 2020 - 09:56 AM

If you ever eat one right off the tree you might decide that your mom was right, lol.  They are unbelievably tart when uncooked.

Haha ya they are ...well if you have a choice id eat a real apple too

But growing up with them it's one of those things I would still eat crab apples

There's tiny tiny apples here too an ornamental apple I didn't know if they were edible
Then I was told by an apple experts they are edible but what's the point that small except for breeding to get the darker reds in.... anyway I'm going to stop the apple hole now before I find a worm lol better yet half a worm ;) lol

I will be sharing how I make my cider and then vinegar ;) thanks
  • Juthro likes this

#19 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,095 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 July 2020 - 02:50 PM

Wilde when I was a kid we had fruit tree's all over our yard and property. With my dad's help we grafted three different color apples to one tree, an X slice in the bark and peel it back gently, insert the nice clean cut shoot, and close the wound with tree putty.........it freaking worked man. it was great seeing bright red, bright green, bright yellow apples on the same tree.....

Be cool if that tree was still alive........

Crab apples I used to put on the end of a long stick and then fire them at my friends....broke a few windows that way too....... :eek:

I should try and make some booze from them........but I really want to grow some pears soon....

A

• wildedibles likes this

#20 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,491 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 July 2020 - 07:47 PM

Apple cider vinegar is on my mind :)
Apple butter too that stuff lasts forever and its a hint of yummy mid winter

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!