58 replies to this topic

#41 billyboy

billyboy

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 352 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 02:12 PM

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

On the East Coast there is Full Sail in Fl. <!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

I'm a senior in their recording program right now.

Tuition is a little high but worth it.

Amek 9098i, SSL 9000j, Sony DMX-R100, Mackie D8B, The Sound craft and ghost consoles.. Studer tape machines, protools hd/tdm, procontrol24(big mouse, lol), just some of the things they teach..

The school continues to grow. The amount of students they kick out each month is truely amazing.

- BB

#42 billyboy

billyboy

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 352 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 02:21 PM

I'm getting protools certified in a few months too..

Nuendo is pretty impressive and is what I use @ home for a lot of music production.

I could use a couple appogee converters and a good set of near feilds..

- BB

#43 Guest_farmerwop_*

Guest_farmerwop_*

Posted 25 August 2004 - 02:38 PM

Billy I d/led your songs but I get no sound....they are blank.....

I play guitar and harmonica....mostly solo blues and folk. I play lots of reggae when I jam w/ friends...

I use a bullet mic for the harp run thru a small fender reverb.....which sounds awesome with wah...

I do lots of delta-style slide guitar in open tunings too...

I sold most of my equipment.....so I mostly just play acoustic now with a rack for the harp. It's a hell of a lot of fun. I like to add harp sort ofas the vocals...to songs that you wouldn't think would be harp-compatible (like bob marley).....ya know? MAking the harp do the singing....

#44 billyboy

billyboy

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 352 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 02:49 PM

Billy I d/led your songs but I get no sound....they are blank.....

Hmmm

That's truely odd.. Did you try playing something else through that mp3 player?

- BB

#45 1dumbmyco

1dumbmyco

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 469 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 03:19 PM

That's cool, I've heard of the green bullet being used before on harps, but not with a 1956 shure desk mic element..
<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>
That just made it more original as the new mexican elements don't have the bite and growl. Made that $89.00 mic worth hundreds to me. The elements changed over the years and a harp discussion group had a alot of praise for controlled reluctance elements so I bought this thing off ebay and pulled out the element. Jeeeeze louise what tone!

#46 Guest_mycos_*

Guest_mycos_*

Posted 25 August 2004 - 04:36 PM

Right now, I'm playing a black Rickenbacker 4003 with Rotosound strings, into a little Korg multi-effects pedal, then into an SWR Workingman's 10 combo amp...which is loud for a coffee house, but not very good for rock clubs at all.

A new rig will come in the future, until then, I enter every giveaway that Bass Player magazine has....a guy's gotta dream, can't he?

You guys are light years ahead of me recording-wise. I'm still on a crappy Tascam 424 Mk II 4-Track with the input stage on channel 1 blown out. I'll get it fixed someday.

My cousin said he'd give me his old Fostex Digital 4-Track....anyday nowPosted ImagePosted Image

Me and a friend made hours of tapes back in the day that I really want to transfer to my PC so I can clean them up and do the overdubs that my pice of crap Tascam would never allow me to do.

I really want you all to hear it too....I can only describe it as "Cosmic Free-Improv"...we'd sit there with a bunch of pedals, hit record, and just let it come to us...more often than not, we'd come upon something...more like something would come upon us that would be like a communication from the unknown.

#47 1dumbmyco

1dumbmyco

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 469 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 06:27 PM

My cousin said he'd give me his old Fostex Digital 4-Track....anyday now<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>
I have the Fostex DMT 8VL and put a larger hard drive, 20 minutes wasn't good, get over an hour now. Nice and fairly clean and works as a nice 8 track mixer during practice as well. We usually play through the PA after mixing with Fostex, drummer uses a DrumKat electronic drum set. If we want to record, a button or two and away you go!

#48 1dumbmyco

1dumbmyco

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 469 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 06:31 PM

How do you like that behringer vamp?

I know the A.R.T's.. But I'm shady with behringer.. I think i might buy some of thier 1/4" patch bays though.

Vamp is okay, noise gate cuts sustain too much and it is flaky til you get to know it. Works nice for home recording but I wouldn't play out with it as it requires too much tinkering even with all the presets. Sorry forgot to respond in my earlier post. Also add DOD Metal Zone and Danelectro analog delay pedals to my maddening collection of musical gadgets.

#49 Guest_jeklhyd_*

Guest_jeklhyd_*

Posted 25 August 2004 - 06:31 PM

Hey billy boy,
how would you go about miking a punk rock kit wih the following:

4 channels of digital audio
5 preamps
1 rode nt3
2 rode nt5's
2 shure sm57'2

i can't really afford to buy or rent any mics at this time

Would love your input!

#50 billyboy

billyboy

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 352 posts

Posted 26 August 2004 - 02:52 AM

4 channels input only.. Hmmm.. Guess we'll only be micing the kick and snare once..

1) I'd drop the nt3 in the kick drum

2) Mic the top of the snare with the 57s

3) Mic the HH w/ a 57

4&5) The NT5's as overheads. Are they a matched pair?

Now, the only thing about this is, you're limited to only 4 tracks of input..

So what I would do, if the drummer was good enough, is just overdub the drums..

This is usually something I would avoid completely, but since you're limited to 4 inputs only, it maybe the only way you can actually capture all the drums equally.

So for the first recording take I'd place the mics in this configuration.

A)

1) Rode NT5 Kick
2) SM57 Snare
3) SM57 HH
4) 1 NT5 as a roommic

B)
1) Rode NT3 Kick
2) 1xNT5 as OH Left
3) 1xNT5 as OH Right
4) SM57 Snare Bottom...

C) This configuration is to capture the toms.
1) tom 1 - NT 3
2) tom 2 - NT 5
3) tom 3(floor NT5
4) SM57 Roommic

Keep in mind that the NT5's are the shit for overheads and Stereo configurations such as XY or AB or NOS..

If you only had 8 inputs to work with Posted Image

Hope this helps

- BB

#51 Guest_mycos_*

Guest_mycos_*

Posted 26 August 2004 - 11:40 AM

Billy: jeklhyd's situation is pretty tough.

What do you think about, as a kind of compromise, the nt3 for the kick, the nt5 placed on a boom stand pointing down over the general tom/snare area, and the Shure 57s as overheads?

It may not be the best, but may be the most workable for the situation.

I once recorded a demo for a Punk Rock band on that crappy 4-track, and the only mics they had were 2 Radio Shack mics! So I put one on either side of the kit, and the results were actually OK....considering what we used and how we did it. The kick had some punch, the snare and toms were at least audible, and the cymbals weren't too sizzly at all. All other instruments were recorded direct. It turned out to be an OK sounding demo.

God, they need to make the minimum amount of tracks on a home-recording machine 6 instead of 4!

#52 billyboy

billyboy

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 352 posts

Posted 26 August 2004 - 01:25 PM

What do you think about, as a kind of compromise, the nt3 for the kick, the nt5 placed on a boom stand pointing down over the general tom/snare area, and the Shure 57s as overheads? <!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

That's a good idea, but I would:
1 sm57 kick
1 NT3 placed on a boom over the general tom/snare area, more so in the toms area.
2 NT5's as overheads.

Again, I must say, the nt5's are good overhead/Stereo configuration mics, so this is why I would use them as the overheads insted.

You must take mic placement into consideration as well.

Moving that sm57 one inch can do a world of difference.. So experiment.

- BB

(Message edited by Billyboy on August 26, 2004)

#53 billyboy

billyboy

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 352 posts

Posted 26 August 2004 - 01:33 PM

Does anyone have a simple bass tab for:
Pskovinsky?

I Think you should start with blues triad type songs pskovinsky..

12 Bar Blues is very general and once you figure out the turn around and a few songs, it comes natural...

Hope this helps, but perhaps a more current bass player could be of more help

#54 billyboy

billyboy

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 352 posts

Posted 26 August 2004 - 01:37 PM

Blues usally is very hard on the 1st the 3rd and the 5th as a triad...

correct me if im worng...

#55 1dumbmyco

1dumbmyco

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 469 posts

Posted 26 August 2004 - 01:52 PM

Blues usally is very hard on the 1st the 3rd and the 5th as a triad...

correct me if im worng...
1-4-5 progression. 3 is a nice rock chord.
Pskovinsky, do a simple google search for bass tabs. I just did and found 100's of sites.

#56 billyboy

billyboy

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 352 posts

Posted 26 August 2004 - 04:11 PM

See, I knew I wasnt correct..

I really need my bass..

- BB

#57 Guest_jeklhyd_*

Guest_jeklhyd_*

Posted 26 August 2004 - 06:59 PM

Hey guys thank you very much for the input!

We did a recording a few months ago and I didn't mic the hihat. As a result the hihat was really diffuse and basically shitty sounding. Even so, I thought the hat was much too loud. I'm not a drummer, and I'm wondering, does he just hit it too hard, is it a bad model for the rest of the kit, does he have it set up badly, or what?
I won't even get into all the ways that recording was done wrong, but the next one will be much better.

"God, they need to make the minimum amount of tracks on a home-recording machine 6 instead of 4!"
NO KIDDING! I have a delta 66, which actually has 2 spdif inputs, but at present can't afford a mic preamp with spdif out.

BTW, the nt5's are matched. I may be able to acquire a large condenser in addition to the above mentioned mics. Also, it may be possible to get some of my buddies gear which will increase the equipment to the following:

1 CAD m177 large diaphragm condenser
1 NT3
2 matched NT5
2 SM57
16 track (8 in simultaneous) Yamaha digital recorder.
enough preamps(shitty though they are)

So basically I could record 6 channels per take.

I'm afraid multiple drum takes will be impossible, but out of curiosity, did you mean he should play all pieces each take, or only the mentioned pieces?

Anyway, given this 6 channel situation, how would you do it?

Thanks again for the helpful response!

(Message edited by grosscaricature on August 26, 2004)

#58 Guest_mycos_*

Guest_mycos_*

Posted 26 August 2004 - 09:50 PM

"Anyway, given this 6 channel situation, how would you do it?"

Well, the configuration that Billy described before mentioning overdubbing the drums would be ideal.

As far as miking hi-hats, I'm sure you know to place the mic over the top hat, and not pointing at the space between the hats. The air that's pushed out of them when the hats are closed can bust the diaphragm on that mic fast!

#59 billyboy

billyboy

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 352 posts

Posted 27 August 2004 - 05:26 AM

1 NT3
2 matched NT5
2 SM57

Anyway, given this 6 channel situation, how would you do it?

1 NT3
2 matched NT5
2 SM57

SM57 HH
SM57 SNR
NT3 KICK
m177 General Tom's area.. Make sure the SPL max on this mic is high enough.. The last thing you wanna do is pop your buddys condensor..
NT5 OH-L
NT5 OR-R

That kit will sound pretty good after some gating, and eqing.. as long as the drummer doesnt drink a gallon of beer;)

- BB

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!