• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 baddaboom

baddaboom

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 27 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 04:24 PM

Thinking about growin again and wondered if ten year old syringes would work. I think the odds are about 50,,,50. What do u think?

#2 Cue

Cue

Chat Head

• OG VIP
  • 8,307 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 August 2012 - 04:40 PM

Thinking about growin again and wondered if ten year old syringes would work. I think the odds are about 50,,,50. What do u think?

I think its time to order more syringes.

#3 mushmonkey

mushmonkey

Phantom Psychonaut

• Expired Member
  • 778 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 04:43 PM

Spore syringes can survive uncontaminated a really long time.

However if they are contaminated then your efforts and substrate are wasted.

If you are low on funds go then you lose nothing by trying them, otherwise it's time for new syringes.

#4 fullmetal

fullmetal

believer in the quest

• Expired Member
  • 93 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 06:03 PM

You can get 2 syringes for 12 bucks free shipping. They aren't a sponsor on this site, although they should be, so I wont list it here. You can pm me if you want to know where.

#5 Cue

Cue

Chat Head

• OG VIP
  • 8,307 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 August 2012 - 06:18 PM

Our sponsor has 7 syringes for $45.00, which is less than $6.50. 3 for $25.00 etc.
With prices like that is really worth wasting 2 weeks if they are dead. This question was asked before and a sponsor said "2 years if refrigerated", I think. 10 years even they were refrigerated (which I bet they weren't) seems too long to take a chance IMHO.

#6 budzeno

budzeno

Runner of the Shit

• Expired Member
  • 21 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 08:43 PM

i just used 3 syringes from a grow over three years ago, Sadly Tasmanian, orissa, didnt come through. the other labled NM which i think is "nau mang" or something, has been going "ok" in my LC. Super dissapointed, i was hoping to not have to order and just get my "stock" back haha. Its ok though because i would rather be growing Brazilian, Cambo B+ anyway, they have always been reliable for me

#7 baddaboom

baddaboom

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 27 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 08:53 PM

Thanks 4 the replies,and even though I like ezperimenting, I think I will go with new syringes.
  • Cue likes this

#8 budzeno

budzeno

Runner of the Shit

• Expired Member
  • 21 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 08:55 PM

Hey now, dont NOT use them hahaha. Its always good to try, even if you have a good chance to fail. I knew my syringes were dead, but turns out i got one still kicking haha. Plus that would be a cool grow log, bringing back ten year old genetics.

#9 Uncle G

Uncle G

"Good Ole Uncle G"

• OG VIP
  • 3,644 posts

Donator

Posted 27 August 2012 - 09:19 PM

Hey now, dont NOT use them hahaha. Its always good to try, even if you have a good chance to fail. I knew my syringes were dead, but turns out i got one still kicking haha. Plus that would be a cool grow log, bringing back ten year old genetics.

Could work. Doesntt hurt to try

#10 morfin-56

morfin-56

Mr. Miyagi

• Expired Member
  • 1,521 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 August 2012 - 09:33 PM

I think it would be cool to try!
10 years old, you know how awesome it would be to get those to work.

Strains have most likely changed a lot over the years(I don't know, haven't been growing that long).
There is no harm in just trying one or 2 jars. (besides a little spawn)

#11 fullmetal

fullmetal

believer in the quest

• Expired Member
  • 93 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 10:00 PM

Terence Mckenna, I believe, theorized these spores as coming from another plant. He said spores can survive space travel, and to have come from another celestial body it would have to have taken tens of thousands of years if his theory is correct. I'm sure spores can last a very, very long time. It's worth it to pc a couple of pf jars and inoc just to see what happens. All you might lose is a couple bucks worth of sub, no biggie!

#12 Cue

Cue

Chat Head

• OG VIP
  • 8,307 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 August 2012 - 10:02 PM

If I wanted to try it I think that I would make two LCs for each one and put half of the syringe into each. Out of all of those spore you may get a LC going. Just a thought,

#13 morfin-56

morfin-56

Mr. Miyagi

• Expired Member
  • 1,521 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 August 2012 - 10:04 PM

He said spores can survive space travel, and to have come from another celestial body it would have to have taken tens of thousands of years if his theory is correct.

I like TM but he wasn't the smartest of people.
There is no way spores would survive all that radiation and radical temperatures.

#14 fullmetal

fullmetal

believer in the quest

• Expired Member
  • 93 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 10:13 PM

no doubt the temps in space I thought would be enough to kill any living things. I didn't say I agree with him, however my point was his theory suggests spores can last a super long time.

#15 Cue

Cue

Chat Head

• OG VIP
  • 8,307 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 August 2012 - 10:18 PM

SG-30 is from a 30 year old print of SG ( Star Gazers) but that was a dry print, not spores submerged in water. I'm sure that there is a difference.

#16 morfin-56

morfin-56

Mr. Miyagi

• Expired Member
  • 1,521 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 August 2012 - 10:24 PM

SG-30 is from a 30 year old print of SG ( Star Gazers) but that was a dry print, not spores submerged in water. I'm sure that there is a difference.

Interesting, didn't know that.
Does Mycrotopia have SG-30?

#17 MrGumball

MrGumball

show me do it

• Expired Member
  • 2,339 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 August 2012 - 10:26 PM

OP: If you're not going to experiment, would you be willing to let someone else try and get them going?

#18 Quixtus

Quixtus

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 258 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 07:50 AM

OP: If you're not going to experiment, would you be willing to let someone else try and get them going?

No doubt! You've got volunteers out here, I am QUITE sure! :D:headbang::amazed:

#19 baddaboom

baddaboom

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 27 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 11:57 PM

Tried odering spores from this sites sponsors but my computer had trouble on both sites. A liittle eager to get started so I got spores coming from 3 different places lol. I have decided to try one of my ten year old syringes (z strain) on one jar tonight, even if it fails it will give me practice on clean innoculation methods.

#20 omgasdf

omgasdf

VIP Member

• Expired Member
  • 58 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 12:23 AM

Germinating the spores on agar would be your best bet. Extreme nutrient availability for the win. If you want to save cultures for an almost indefinite time. Take an outer cutting (2mm x 2mm) from the newest mycelia growth (newest growth will be at the outer edges of the visible mycelium on the agar) and place it in an eppendorf tube filled with mineral oil. I've heard of cultures lasting 20+ years stored in this fashion.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!