• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 stonesofthegodz

stonesofthegodz

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 58 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 08:18 AM

if doing a bulk tub can someone just use poo with no straw. lets say they are allergic to straw and cant use it. maybe put some verm in the poo to make it fluffier? any suggestions?

#2 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 08:25 AM

yes.
i'd use coir instead of verm as a mixer tho,
or just use it straight, not too wet tho'

#3 hyphal-psycho

hyphal-psycho

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 10:01 AM

if its cow poo you should most def use straw, if its horse poo you dont even
have to mix it with anything

#4 shobimono

shobimono

Chat Admin

• Free Member
  • 833 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 10:59 AM

horse poo and verm works great too.

#5 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 11:16 AM

worm castings and/or compost are other good choices

#6 stonesofthegodz

stonesofthegodz

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 58 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 11:30 AM

thanks guys
a foaf thinks shes allergic to the straw. she was ok with some grain jars, then she spawned to poo and straw and started to break out in hives. she doesnt think its the poo that would make her break out. so she thinks its the straw. or maybe some sort of chemical reaction that the myc gives off when eating its nutes? something she cant smell.

#7 the_chosen_one

the_chosen_one

electro gypsy

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 8,113 posts

Donator

Posted 05 June 2006 - 11:43 AM

It's probably all the crap that comes on the straw. Gets me bad too! Peat Moss is another option but some more lime or calcium may need to be added.

#8 stonesofthegodz

stonesofthegodz

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 58 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 12:07 PM

it makes you break out in hives also? they were little straw squares from micheals. she hopes that it goes away pretty quickly after she ditches the straw tub. she hopes whatever it is isnt in the air for long afterwards.
she shredded them and did a heat pasturization. mixed it with poo and let cool. spawned with a few quarts of wbs. now she has a slight irritation in her throat, and is itchy from hives. its ashame because the tub is coming along nicely, but shes going to toss it. i never knew someone could be allergic to straw before, or whatever is on the straw. she figured it was either the straw, or some sort of reaction to a non visible chemical that myc produces when eating its nutes and spreading.

chosen, can your foaf still grow and just not use straw? any suggestions for doing bulk with no straw. i guess poo and coir or peat is what everyone says.

#9 the_chosen_one

the_chosen_one

electro gypsy

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 8,113 posts

Donator

Posted 05 June 2006 - 12:44 PM

Your foaf is probably getting it during the shredding process. I don't really get hives very often but sneezing and the likes for sure. Did you shred the straw indoors?

Once it's wet it shouldn't be an issue unless it gets moldy. I'm surprised the hobby store stuff is that bad. I live in the country and always get mine from a feed store or local farm..that stuff can be real bad with pollen and dust. I still use straw on occasion especially with edibles but I do any shredding out side and wear a dust mask.

I would keep the tub going if it's not moldy. I doubt it's because of any reaction between the myc and the straw. Probably just stuff in the immediate vicinity if you shredded indoors.

#10 the_chosen_one

the_chosen_one

electro gypsy

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 8,113 posts

Donator

Posted 05 June 2006 - 12:54 PM

Oh yeah, it helps to drop a benadryl before working with straw too.

#11 SporeAddik1

SporeAddik1

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 119 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 03:34 PM

horse poo and verm works great too.

Ya i'v mixed castings and VERM with my horse poo with outstanding results.

#12 roc

roc

Forum International Moderator

• 8,124 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 June 2006 - 04:31 PM

My horse poop has enough grass in it that I don't worry about mixing straw or anthing except some good spawn!

#13 stonesofthegodz

stonesofthegodz

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 58 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 04:47 PM

thanks for the advice everyone. im trying to cheer her up, the hives are kinda bad and she is upset because she is afraid she wont be able to cultivate again. are allergic reactions to straw or to whatever this is common? ive never heard of it before and im trying to console her but i dont know what to say. she ditched the tub btw, i wonder how long it will take for the area to totally get clear of whatever was irritating her skin etc.

at least she still has stones :)

#14 sexonaplate

sexonaplate

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 216 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 04:54 PM

I like using cow poo with some peat, just add some gypsum for calcium and away we go

#15 roc

roc

Forum International Moderator

• 8,124 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 June 2006 - 06:14 PM

thanks for the advice everyone. im trying to cheer her up, the hives are kinda bad and she is upset because she is afraid she wont be able to cultivate again. are allergic reactions to straw or to whatever this is common? ive never heard of it before and im trying to console her but i dont know what to say. she ditched the tub btw, i wonder how long it will take for the area to totally get clear of whatever was irritating her skin etc.

It may be the straw or it could be from nerves causing the hives...

#16 TS10

TS10

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 11:59 AM

Like TCO said, it sounds like it's the shredding process that's getting to her. The dust, etc. from dry grasses in general cause some type of reaction in many people. For me it's usually sneezing, runny eyes, and sometimes itching on the hands and arms. The Benadryl suggestion is a good one if she tolerates it well.(Take one about about 30 min's - 1 hour beforehand.)

If she cares to try again, advise her to try outside if possible. Also, rubber kitchen gloves may help as well.

#17 stonesofthegodz

stonesofthegodz

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 58 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 12:07 PM

anyone know how long a reaction can last for? she still is irritated and its been a few days. maybe all that stuff is still in the air and around her house and little breezes etc kick it up enough to irritate her? she is taking allegra to help it out a bit. :( poor girl

#18 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 01:24 PM

ever heard of
hay fever ?
straw = hay,
close enuff.
very common allergy

#19 the_chosen_one

the_chosen_one

electro gypsy

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 8,113 posts

Donator

Posted 06 June 2006 - 01:39 PM

thanks for the advice everyone. im trying to cheer her up, the hives are kinda bad and she is upset because she is afraid she wont be able to cultivate again.

This should cheer her up as well. There are plenty of teks that don't include straw as a major component. Although small, the PF Tek is really the best for reliability imo. I also do grain casings. A little more difficult and more prone to mold contams but once she masters that she'll see that there are ways to grain case that can produce just as much as a bulk sub and even do it faster.

One more question, does she have forced air heat in the house? If so time to change the air filter(s). If there is an electronic air cleaner also wash the collector cells. Repeat that step in about two weeks. That will clear the house. Lol, that and good old fashion dusting....I have to where a mask for that too :p

#20 stonesofthegodz

stonesofthegodz

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 58 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 01:43 PM

thanks guys. i told her everything, she is running an air cleaner thing , she has some weird one her mom bought. do you think she should stay away from coir and peat moss too? i think maybe she should, play it safe? if it is hay fever, it sucks!

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!