9 replies to this topic

#1 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,526 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 September 2012 - 01:35 PM

We are finding lots of these in the last few days they are a neat gray purple color they do bleed when cut a whitish color these pictures where taken yesterday where I picked them I will add todays picture to show the milk staining color kinda brownish spore print whitish have a picture of this too

Here is a picture of the trees around Aspen, Birch, Willow, Tamarack, Spruce, Balsam some Pine
IMG_6190.JPG
young ones in moss
IMG_6164.JPG
Older one vase shaped
IMG_6195.JPG

The gills with the milk
IMG_6192.JPG

Will be back with more pictures when they are re sized
I know some Lactarius are edible read some are not edible so was kinda wondering on more info like this too :)
click a few times to see larger pictures some neat close ups ;)

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_6162.JPG
  • IMG_6191.JPG

#2 Ilia

Ilia

mycophILIAc

• Validating
  • 1,425 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 02:31 PM

The closest thing to it I have found in my guidebook is Lactarius Piperatus. lLatex white, identical shape of older specimens (cup-shaped cap and size) but the colour is not gray enough and no mention of striations.
I seriously need a new guide ... wonder if there is a good one for this area. Even if there is it is reported that hundreds of local species are not documented... makes identifying tough.
  • wildedibles likes this

#3 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,526 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 September 2012 - 03:59 PM

Thank you I will get those pictures up in a min to help better I had trouble finding something exact online too tried rogers mushrooms and mushroom expert with no luck yet ... but then i did notice a stain left on some but not all i will explain wit pictures in a min :)

wow the colors varry alot depending in what light the next day the gills seemed more of a cream color then white there is a brown color staining where there was milking
IMG_6222.JPG

IMG_6220.JPG
The cap inside looks darker or has turned darker gray then a purple color
IMG_6261.JPG
the stem is full of a pith material stuffed and there is staining there too
IMG_6231.JPG
the spore color is off white
IMG_6247.JPG

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_6263.JPG
  • IMG_6232.JPG
  • IMG_6237.JPG
  • IMG_6243.JPG
  • IMG_6252.JPG
  • IMG_6259.JPG

Edited by wildedibles, 18 September 2012 - 04:39 PM.

#4 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,526 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:08 AM

Ok I looked threw the key again at mushroom expert but still cannot find an exact match it may be difficult or impossible to do here is something close but it not quite it
http://www.mushroome...ius_uvidus.html
I found it using this key which is not done either so humm....
http://www.mushroome...rius.html<br />

I do remember seeing them last year too in the same areas in moss around the same trees they are under 5cm maybe close to that fully mature or a we bit larger but not much ..

#5 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,526 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 September 2012 - 04:47 PM

hummm this one looks kinda close too
http://en.wikipedia....tarius_blennius
http://www.rogersmus...ooserresult.asp
see the thing I have been having issues with is color when you look at it is hard to even say which color it is and when they say the mushroom can be multipul colors like gray cream buff etc well they all varry a bit hard to really tell I will try and get a spore sample under the microscope

this one too

Edited by wildedibles, 19 September 2012 - 04:59 PM.

#6 EstimatedProphet

EstimatedProphet

Bearer of Light

• Expired Member
  • 2,440 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 12:17 PM

At first I thought they might be Lactarius argillaceifolius var. argillaceifolius, but I am unsure. I have not studies the milk caps that much, sorry I cannot be more help.
  • wildedibles likes this

#7 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,526 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 September 2012 - 12:37 PM

There are some similarity but I don't think that one is right either these grow with Birch they are not indented when young either they usually have a nipple in the cap b4 they turn to a v shape

they also have some rings of purple on the cap ....

I have put this mushroom in guess that mushroom so I am going to keep the name I found for now ;) I think it might be closer .... this is really a mushroom I wanted to draw attention to I hope I am right with the name if not oh well maybe someone can find a better name the one I found matches everything so far ... DNA testing in the future might change the names around again tho

#8 lipase

lipase

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 241 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 02:41 PM

ey up. You might already know this but it can be useful to taste the milk with Lactarius. If you get a white Cleenex or white piece of cloth and see whether the milk changes colour when you dab it onto the cloth apparently that can help identify. I found one and tried it and on the white cloth it turned yellow even though it wasn't discolouring on the mushroom which was weird. Another thing is to notice how much milk comes out whether it's lots or a little. I just found one that smells really nice like coconut! I might post it up in a bit
  • wildedibles likes this

#9 EstimatedProphet

EstimatedProphet

Bearer of Light

• Expired Member
  • 2,440 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 04:28 PM

Yes the color that the latex changes can help with making a proper ID, also like you said too lipase tasting the latex. Some of them are very peppery, its kinda cool. I have permanent stains on some of my clothes from Lactarius latex so be careful because some of it can stain.
  • wildedibles likes this

#10 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,526 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 September 2020 - 08:00 AM

Lol ive been seeing these mushrooms every year same spots i think i came to a name
The one posted above i think

All the above links are broken so i will find some new ones and uploading a video very soon

I remember 2 different purple ones here that are almost identical but tiny differences
But one smells like coconut and one doesn't too
I think one has ring zones one doesn't

I also remember talking about its smell of coconut here at mycotopia....maybe search lactarius coconut lol
Nope just get this thread and my hunting adventure thread where we were just talking about red/brown lactarius that smelled like coconut too

So heres a new link that works
https://en.m.wikiped...rgillaceifolius
Someone mentioned this name but the variable one i believe
I believe its the best fit yet anyway
Edibility unknown
I will upload the video its kinda a neat one with an extra bug scene lol

How many different bugs to different mushrooms to different trees to the different forests that surrounds us? In this video i did notice a creamy layer of dust on the mushroom cap the bugs were crawling threw spores? Probably do they help to spread spores too?? How very gross cool lol I raised 2 boys can you tell?? Lol
Much love xoxox thanks

Edited by wildedibles, 11 September 2020 - 08:09 AM.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!