• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 Killjoy

Killjoy

Mycophage

• Validating
  • 157 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 11:34 PM

Any suggestions from the vast knowledge base here on anything to help with general anxiety? (anything other than POT that is).
Weed helps a little, but if the anxiety's already flairing then it just turns to paranoia...

Valium, Xanex, Adavan, etc... are all grand but get pretty pricey without insurance and they don't seem to grow to well when I plant them out back. Not to mention all the hassle they come with.

#2 loochypooch

loochypooch

Heavy Metal Drummer

• Expired Member
  • 719 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 11:51 PM

I wish I knew. I think cactus has some major therapeutic potential, but it's something you can only do once a week or once a month.

I've talked to my doctor and tried SSRI's, but they are just weird.

#3 dead_diver

dead_diver

Stoned Since '76

• OG VIP
  • 3,542 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 June 2006 - 11:58 AM

Try Valerian root or extract.

#4 Gamera

Gamera

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 331 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 12:58 PM

Not herbal, but there is some research indicating that the over-the-counter supplemant niacinamide (B-3) has benzodiazepine like effects and can reduce anxiety. In my experience it is somewhat effective 1000-15000 mg doses.

#5 loochypooch

loochypooch

Heavy Metal Drummer

• Expired Member
  • 719 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 02:22 PM

Not herbal, but there is some research indicating that the over-the-counter supplemant niacinamide (B-3) has benzodiazepine like effects and can reduce anxiety. In my experience it is somewhat effective 1000-15000 mg doses.

I'm gonna give that a try since my doc won't give me benzos. Thanks Gamera!

#6 dead_diver

dead_diver

Stoned Since '76

• OG VIP
  • 3,542 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 June 2006 - 08:41 PM

It's not herbal but melatonin is good too.

#7 SharkieJones

SharkieJones

• OG VIP
  • 3,269 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 08:59 PM

You can also try Kava Kava.

#8 Raul del Angelo

Raul del Angelo

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 123 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 10:51 PM

I have to agree with SharkieJones, kava kava tea
is fairly powerful stuff. I've taken it a few times
and it knocks me out. I would say it works about
as well as Ambien for sleep. I have only used it
for sleep but I would think that it is also a powerful
stress reliever. The only reservation I have about
it is it is also a diuretic and will exercise your
kidneys. I got the tea at the local health store.

Peace, Raul

#9 loochypooch

loochypooch

Heavy Metal Drummer

• Expired Member
  • 719 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 12:24 AM

Melatonin does nothing for me.

#10 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 12:26 AM

I've got a friend that's an MD in herbal meds and acupuncture. I'll ask him tommorrow and will let you know.

#11 Niarb

Niarb

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 21 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 04:10 AM

Try Chamomile, available as a tea in healthfood shops & supermarkets

#12 siam_jim

siam_jim

Mycotopia Mod

• Expired Member
  • 1,853 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 10:07 AM

reishi with ginger tea...soothing

#13 cactus_muncher

cactus_muncher

Horticultural researcher

• Expired Member
  • 102 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 05:41 AM

I agree with sharkie Kava is great stuff I eavin smoke it from time to time it has a great relaxing affect it causes tenshion and stress to virtualy melt away and gives a nice mellow aditude to boot just be shure to use it in moderation

#14 spyker

spyker

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 300 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 06:54 AM

sceletium...
look it up, too much to say..
Natures prozac, herbal e in high doses, Natural SSRI. Pharmo trials found it same or better than Benzo's and artificial SSRI's. A few hours duration. Take a pinch in empty teabag, roll. Cud chew for a while. Slight numbing of gums. Coffee like buzz, but not coffee like anxiety, slight sltimulant, but smoother and actually , subtle,anxiety dissolves. Lasts short term, a few hours, not like prozac and the artificial SSRI's.

A guy who grows the stuff gave me a big bag.. Enough for a few years. And I have a few plants. Its is endemic to southern africa.

http://www.sceletium.co.za/
Re: the human genomic project, the khoisan are the oldest culture alive.. been around for 50000 years! Thats sustainability! A freind who stayed with the khoisan said the old men mainly used for energy/perk-up. Some hippies round here grind it fine, fine and snarf it..haha brown root powderin my nose uuugh no thanks haha. But it does have a nice kick then, quite potent stimulant effects..

#15 spyker

spyker

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 300 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 07:37 AM

Also known as kanna.
http://www.sceletium.org/
A good article :
http://www.naturalme...031008161804109

""What plants are likely to emerge as cash cows in the next few years? One potential blockbuster is Sceletium - also known as kougoed, or chewing stuff - a relation of the vygie family of plants (Mesembryanthae). This plant was traditionally used as an energy booster and has been shown to have strong antidepressant and antistress characteristics. In a high-stress world where depression is at an all-time high, the potential of this plant is phenomenal. However, extensive research and development must be done.""

The stuff is great, all I can say. And legal and can replace anti-anxiety and anti-depression medication. You wont hear about it on the front page news as long as the pharms' keep the market.

http://www.biogenesi...z-sceletium.asp

#16 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 11:39 AM

Ok u guys just cost me 30bucks...lol...i ordered some seeds and powder -says their pretty easy to grow as a tropical....
Another powerfull plant that can take the edge off - is passiflora incarnata,,
a type passion flower ...take 1 or two fresh leaves and make a tea...
kinda taste like pease ..The effects are long lasting for me -about 18hrs.
Makes u kind of groggy but a smaller dose maybe better if u have stuff to do....

#17 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 12 June 2006 - 10:56 PM

Sorry for the delay. Passion Flower

#18 Guest_cap_*

Guest_cap_*

Posted 12 June 2006 - 11:18 PM

ime so far, nothing hits the spot like ol' mary jane :)
that said, any1 try blue lotus ? thanks in advance..

#19 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

The Abe Vigoda of Mycotopia

• 8,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 June 2006 - 11:19 AM

I would suggest starting a couple of St. John's Wort capsules per day. The make an excellent anti-anxiety maintenance drug. Not for treating spikes, though.

For spikes, Valerian and/or Kava are both excellent choices. Meditation and directed breathing can be HIGHLY effective, and quicker, than drugs. I would strongly suggest staying away from opiates. Treating anxiety with opiates is a great way to form an addiction.

Marijuana is a *terrible* treatment for acute anxiety. MJ is far more likely to make you hear DEA agents outside the door than chill you out during a real anxiety attack.

Xanax can do wonders, but is expensive and has side-effects (especially at larger doses). No drug will be an ideal cure all. The more drugs/techniques you can bring into your arsenal, the better off you will be.

Certain Yogic breathing techniques are phenomenal for combating acute anxiety and are strongly suggested as a productive avenue for exploration (HINT).

You might also consider taking a very hard and detailed look at your diet. Many times, anxiety reactions are triggered/fueled by food allergies. An allergic reaction feels a LOT like the "fight or flight" reaction of an acute anxiety attack.

In closing, I would humbly suggest that you don't use for a buzz any drug you use as a medicine. Once you blur the lines sufficiently, that drug will be less effective in both arenas.

#20 Killjoy

Killjoy

Mycophage

• Validating
  • 157 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 12:12 PM

Thanks All!!
I've been through opiate withdrawl after a sholder operation. Not worth... well anything really, and somthing I'd like never to repeat.

I've found Tai Chi to be more helpfull than Yoga IME. any breathing Tech in particular Buckaroo?

I've been to an allergist and through a NAET allergy treatment regime.
Still working through fine tunning, but it has helped immensly.
Allergies are amazing and I'd wish there were more mainstream research on them.
I also Just saw an article on how CO2 increases may increase pollen counts and allergies-not to mention smog. maybe that's why everyone seems more crazy lately.
It's something I ought to revist.

I'm working on the diet-Complete elimination of processed foods, and all simple Sugar works wonders. I'm about 80% there.

And yes, MJ isn't something I use as a treatment. For me at least, anxiety is different than stress or excitement. if I'm a little wound, or a little on edge and just want to relax MJ is great. But if anxiety hits it's no help at all.

Thanks again for the all the suggestions...

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!