- - - - -

Herbal Anxiety Remedy???

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_cap_*

Guest_cap_*

Posted 13 June 2006 - 02:46 PM

anxiety attacks are one thing.
general feeling of anxiety is easily masked by pot.
dunno what kinda herb yall are smokin :smokin: but mine keeps me sane.

#22 Bobcat

Bobcat

Selah!

• Expired Member
  • 3,573 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 05:27 PM

picamilone works well. 5htp with benadryl works wonders too, but take it in a setting where you can sleep if you need to at first.

#23 duaut

duaut

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 699 posts

Posted 15 June 2006 - 10:09 PM

Valerian 10x Extract has been the only Herbal that had the seditive effects = benzos. 2 pills give me the hangover I need for 2 days afterwards.

The rest of the stuff listed above didn't cut it. Very weak if any body sensations at all.

Thats me though

#24 Bromius

Bromius

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 243 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 10:21 PM

Great thread. I've had major anxiety problems for many years... I've tried talking to counselors, SSRI's and various herbal approaches. Heh, camomile puts me to sleep in half an hour guaranteed. Kava kava tea is weird... feels like a drank a few beers after I down a cup, without the body lag. I've been meaning to try meditation, but everything I've read seems kind of vague on how to do it.

Buckaroo> The food allergy thing I'd never heard of. How do you differentiate between anxiety and a food reaction since they are so similar? Any reading material you know of off the top of your head that you'd recommend?

Heh, I'm also in the process of getting the fucking nicotine out of my system. Hopefully I don't gnaw my arms off in the next 48 hours... That would still beat lighting up again though. In the wise and timeless words of the sage, "Fuck that shit!".

#25 hogwild

hogwild

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 11:01 PM

good call brom, stay away from those cigs. Those will kill ya. Just quit a few weeks ago myself.

#26 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

The Abe Vigoda of Mycotopia

• 8,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 June 2006 - 09:20 AM

Here is a good basic type intro to what I'm talking about:

http://www.healthrec...estionnaire.htm

I'm not trumpeting that site, or what is on it, but it makes a good jumping off point.

#27 Mylo

Mylo

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 51 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 05:59 PM

catnip

#28 Bromius

Bromius

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 243 posts

Posted 16 July 2006 - 12:27 PM

Well, I seem to be in a pretty bad hole these days so I"ve been searching relevant threads on here for help since the folks here always seem to have good advice. Bought some St. Johns wort today so we'll see how that goes. Excercise has been sporadic, mainly I think because I'm so low that my motivation is about zero. Meditation gets mentioned in this type of thread a bit... Does anybody know of any techniques that would be good for someone to start out with? I've never done it but I want to try...

#29 Guest_Glasshopper_*

Guest_Glasshopper_*

Posted 16 July 2006 - 04:59 PM

5-htp is awesome for anxiety, it is a precurser to seratonin and increases it's levels in the brain, kava is good, as mentioned, also for acute anxiety nothing seems to work like phenibut but it is for occasional use only because the body builds a tolerence to it VERY quickly.

Oat straw tea can help rebuild jaggled nerves.

Certain essential oil scents have a calming effect as well, ones like lavender or ylang ylang.

How is your diet? Sometimes that can play a big part in moods.

For me nothing helps calm me down than getting my hands in the dirt gardening and watching things grow.

Good luck

#30 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 16 July 2006 - 05:05 PM

My boy says that Passion Flower is the stuff to use for anxiety. I saw someone had a nice plant of it growing in a thread here. Maybe you guys should look into it.

http://mycotopia.net...ead.php?t=12482

#31 Riddles

Riddles

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 43 posts

Posted 16 July 2006 - 06:17 PM

skullcap aka mad dogweed is supposed to work well and even give an almost cannabis high, never tried it though

#32 Bromius

Bromius

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 243 posts

Posted 16 July 2006 - 09:20 PM

Hmm, my diet... Well I have sensible breakfast of raisin bran and orange juice, usually a sub for lunch, a little jimson weed and belladonna for an evening snack. That's a pretty normal right?

All kidding aside, that area could use some work. I know how to cook food that is both healthy and tasty, I just don't do it enough. Gardening is good. I enjoy it. Dealing with anything green and alive seems to help me too. Alas, I live in a city. I think that may be part of the problem since its so different from where I grew up. You should see my apartment though, I have plants in front of almost every window ( I leave a few open for my cat to perch on).

#33 Burger

Burger

Old Hand.

• Validating
  • 596 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 03:11 AM

Powdered valerian root

#34 spyker

spyker

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 300 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 03:45 AM

sceletium, bushmans "E" :)

Saw live plants for sale on sunday at my nursery! haha but bought an orchid cause I've got 2 species of mesemenbrine (spell.?) containing plants already... That stuff is really good for anxiety, and with specific action in low doses. As is gardening, get an orchid or 2 for inside the house and work up a big patch of ground up somewhere and plant a veggie patch. Just for release and to take yer mind off shit. Get a fish tank... Yoga and breathing works well too...

#35 Bromius

Bromius

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 243 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 02:50 PM

Funny how things work out. I have a new coworker that has some experience with meditation- just found out today. Hopefully she can give me some insight on how to get started.

#36 Guest_durban_poison_*

Guest_durban_poison_*

Posted 18 July 2006 - 05:39 PM

kratom is great but expensive if you dont grow it.

#37 ignorant monkey

ignorant monkey

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 35 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 09:50 PM

have you tried valerian or passionflower yet? i done quite a bit of research on plants that help with anxiety, and these 2 seem to be the most usefull based on all i've read.
it's important to use fresh plant material, or buy the extracts/tinctures from a known reputable vendor.

i'll have to look into the b-3 thing.

#38 swine

swine

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 124 posts

Donator

Posted 20 July 2006 - 12:03 AM

I'd reccomend trying this extract from the Eclectic Herb Institute, which contains valerian, passion flower, chamomile, hops, and anise. I use it for both sleep and anxiousness. I like this product alot and have been using it for years, but if you are not the type to deal with the "dirty foot" grossness of valerian then I'd go for some valerian caps

#39 moondust

moondust

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 116 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 12:15 PM

Any suggestions from the vast knowledge base here on anything to help with general anxiety? (anything other than POT that is).
Weed helps a little, but if the anxiety's already flairing then it just turns to paranoia...

Valium, Xanex, Adavan, etc... are all grand but get pretty pricey without insurance and they don't seem to grow to well when I plant them out back. Not to mention all the hassle they come with.

I have tried most anti anxiatics

I stay away from diazepines if I can help it, only take them when needed and too broke to buy L-Tryptophan, (it is not covered where I am.)

It beats St John' s Wort by a million miles, much easier than it, to take or leave when needed.

St John'' s wort has a severe rebound depression when you stop L-Tryptophan doesn' t, it feels real nice

#40 Paradox

Paradox

Rumplestiltskin's Butler

• Expired Member
  • 147 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 10:07 AM

Good quality skullcap is great for reducing nervousness. Just fill the tea-ball up then steep in boiling water with cup covered over and drink. Valerian is good too and can help you sleep a headache off. 5htp is relaxing and kava is powerful and moreish he he

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!