• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 5,437 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 September 2012 - 07:13 AM

Are ultrasonic fogers and ultrasonic humidifiers the same?

who is using them? And what type set up are you using? How long do you normally run the fogger/humidifier, what type cycle do you use?

i know drops of water from spray bottles tend to make pins abort but one of the thing the ultrasonic boasts is the smaller sized water particle and its ability to absorb very efficiently due to size. Does the ultrasonic cause aborts also like a spray bottle does?

Im sure all are not created equal but have seen a small portable ultrasonic humidifier that uses a water bottle as its water resivore intown and near me for about the same price I have seen a ultrasonic foger head on the Internet.

The idea would be to have a tub that holds 15 cakes 3 x 5 rows. Except only use 14 cakes and that middle spot be where the ultrasonic foger/humidifier sits and ultimately stop using perlite as a source for humidification

Thanks
PBK

#2 Great-White-Shaman

Great-White-Shaman

What can the Shaman do4U?

• Expired Member
  • 63 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 08:12 AM

I bought a small cheap ultrasonic fogger online. Its a little bit bigger then a quarter around. I plugged mine in 2 times a day Morning and night for about 2 minutes each time. After It runs I let the fog settle for about 8-10 minutes before I fan. Seems to work pretty good from what I've used of it. But, I have doing bags this time around and haven't got to experiment with it much besides what I did last grow. I'm watching this thread tho. ~GWS~

#3 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 5,437 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 September 2012 - 09:02 AM

I bought a small cheap ultrasonic fogger online. Its a little bit bigger then a quarter around. I plugged mine in 2 times a day Morning and night for about 2 minutes each time. After It runs I let the fog settle for about 8-10 minutes before I fan. Seems to work pretty good from what I've used of it. But, I have doing bags this time around and haven't got to experiment with it much besides what I did last grow. I'm watching this thread tho. ~GWS~

thanks for the reply.
Could you messag me the link for what you bought.

What kind of container did it set in? How much water did you use in say a week of morning/night use like you did?

did you use the fogger only or did you still use perlite?

I was thinking a little opposite of what you did and fan right when I open to clear the co2 then hit it with the fogger and leaving the fog to keep the humidity up longer. Is there a reason that you fogged then fan out the fog?

#4 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 5,437 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 September 2012 - 12:04 PM

Thought I might give this a bump to see if I get any other responses

#5 mithrandiir42

mithrandiir42

VIP Member

• Expired Member
  • 188 posts

Donator

Posted 27 September 2012 - 01:58 PM

I'm using a small ultrasonic fogger in a 55gal aquarium with about 3" of water in the bottom. Honestly the tank is overkill for what I have in there (5 cakes and a small ziplock container). Right now I have it set up so that the fogger runs for 1 minute and off for 15minutes. basically it's just enough to fill the tank with a light fog, then it turns off. There's also a decent sized aquarium air pump hooked up to two air stones in the water constantly pumping in fresh, filtered air and keeping the tank positive pressure.

It's similar to something I saw from another member here who converted a large aquarium into an FC. I can't remember who right now...

I just got the current timer working this past weekend.. previously it was 15m on 60m off. I haven't decided if the humidity is too high or too low in there yet. The sides/lid are covered in condensation, but I have 2 cheap hygrometers in there that seem to hover around 75%. I think the mushrooms are telling me it's better on the new schedule though since the cakes were pretty reluctant to do anything until this past week. The ziplock mini tray has been doing great for me both before and now.

If you do a search for something like "12 LED ultrasonic fogger" you'll find something like what I'm using. It's just a tiny round thing with some colored LEDs built in for mood lighting ;-) I think it cost about about $12

I haven't had a problem with aborts.. however, I'm a newb and technically this would be my 2nd and 3rd grow in the tank so take whatever I say with a grain of salt:)

Edited by mithrandiir42, 27 September 2012 - 02:22 PM.

#6 SKORER

SKORER

VIP Member

• Expired Member
  • 123 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 02:42 PM

I used one of the led ultra-sonic foggers in this lil contraption. Works great for times when misting isn't the best option (knots and premordia) One air line in with another one going out and into the FC. The only drawback i'm having is condinsation beads up in the out-line and will sputter water droplets, defeating the point of not misting. Running it more frequently for much shorter periods of time helps with this alot.

Attached Thumbnails

• toy.jpg

• PsyBearknot likes this

#7 mushrooms

mushrooms

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 857 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 02:58 PM

wow that thing looks cool. You know, I had a setup inside of a closet and I found that if the humidifier was running in there for longer than 15mins, the whole closet would fill up with fog when you opened the door. So, I would imagine that you'd need the UH to run for 15 mins at least twice a day. Ultrasonic humidifiers and foggers are esentially the same. The humidifier has a dial where you set the vibration rate and you get more or less fog. With the pond thing, you get only the amount that it makes when you put it in the water, no controlling the humidity, also there is no reservoir and you make it yourself like in Skorer's pic... this can have benefits and drawbacks...
  • PsyBearknot likes this

#8 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 5,437 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 September 2012 - 04:02 PM

I used one of the led ultra-sonic foggers in this lil contraption. Works great for times when misting isn't the best option (knots and premordia) One air line in with another one going out and into the FC. The only drawback i'm having is condinsation beads up in the out-line and will sputter water droplets, defeating the point of not misting. Running it more frequently for much shorter periods of time helps with this alot.

ya that's something like what I was thinking tho I had not thought of the line in/out. I was thinking of just setting the jar with fogger on the floor of the fruiting chamber and letting it just fog. I found one on the Internet for round 40$ that has led lights, a remote control on/off that also regulates the amount of fog output.

Also saw an interesting set up used for cloning that had a tuppewear container that sit on top of a Rubbermaid tub. The tuppewear container had the Lid on it and the fogger was inside under water. There was a flow valve that connected the tuppewear to the Rubbermaid and created a hole for the fog to fall out of the tuppewear into the Rubbermaid that got me to thinking about a future set up if I like the fogger results

#9 mithrandiir42

mithrandiir42

VIP Member

• Expired Member
  • 188 posts

Donator

Posted 27 September 2012 - 04:11 PM

I tried something like this once.. The jar of water got really hot & the fogger burnt out in a couple weeks..... But I'm sure that was only because I didn't know that I shouldn't run it 24/7. lol. Don't do what I did:)
  • PsyBearknot likes this

#10 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 5,437 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 September 2012 - 04:18 PM

Here is the one I am thinking of

http://www.mainlandm...om/foggers.html

the 5th one down model number ml021LRC

here is the cloner I was talking about with the add on mod for the fogger that I thought about doing a mod on for the set up I was thinking of

http://www.technolog...loning-machine/

#11 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 5,437 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 September 2012 - 04:20 PM

I tried something like this once.. The jar of water got really hot & the fogger burnt out in a couple weeks..... But I'm sure that was only because I didn't know that I shouldn't run it 24/7. lol. Don't do what I did:)

Good to point out. I had read the product "warnings" and saw info about no more then 8 hours a day and a general rule of how big the container should be to keep it from heating up also.

How quiet are they in a mason jar like that?

#12 SKORER

SKORER

VIP Member

• Expired Member
  • 123 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 04:30 PM

Lol ya the water will get hot if ran to long! PsyBearknot just a headz up the ultra sonic's tend to have alot of splattering affects if not contained. The water over the disc is propelled upwards and splashes back down. this can be countered by adding more water to the res keeping the splash to a min, but this also IME reduces the amount of fog produced. I like the sounds of a remote controlled one, that would be convienent for making a sealed res, less silicone. I purchased a timer that can be adjusted for short cycles. Just a thought but keeping a contained unit out-side of the FC will make for easier maintanance with out having to open the FC.

#13 SKORER

SKORER

VIP Member

• Expired Member
  • 123 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 04:37 PM

As long as the U.S.H. isn't touching against the sides of the glass its silent, Now the airpump is another story!

#14 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 5,437 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 September 2012 - 04:48 PM

Lol ya the water will get hot if ran to long! PsyBearknot just a headz up the ultra sonic's tend to have alot of splattering affects if not contained. The water over the disc is propelled upwards and splashes back down. this can be countered by adding more water to the res keeping the splash to a min, but this also IME reduces the amount of fog produced. I like the sounds of a remote controlled one, that would be convienent for making a sealed res, less silicone. I purchased a timer that can be adjusted for short cycles. Just a thought but keeping a contained unit out-side of the FC will make for easier maintanance with out having to open the FC.

ya was considering the splash guard and possibly a buoy to keep it floating at the proper water level from the same site. Only another 10$ not too bad

#15 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 5,437 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 September 2012 - 04:49 PM

As long as the U.S.H. isn't touching against the sides of the glass its silent, Now the airpump is another story!

Ya even the whisper brand air pump I got at the pet store is a bit noisy for my comfort

#16 mithrandiir42

mithrandiir42

VIP Member

• Expired Member
  • 188 posts

Donator

Posted 27 September 2012 - 04:55 PM

They're nearly silent.. in the mason jar, there might have been a little ringing from vibrating on the glass but that was about a year ago and my memory is a little foggy (pun intended). The one in the aquarium now IS silent. I don't know it's running without looking at it.

From reviews that I've read I got the impression that these little foggers aren't the most durable things in the world. The ceramic discs wear out after a while. So I opted to find the cheapest ones I could find (about $14). I bought two so I'd have a backup when the first one failed.

However since I started running it for short intervals, it's been lasting MUCH longer than the first one:) I'm still on #1 and haven't had to resort to the backup yet. I guess it's been about 2 months now.. Still too early to tell what the life expectancy is running at 1m on and 15m off..

#17 SKORER

SKORER

VIP Member

• Expired Member
  • 123 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 05:01 PM

Lol I think we got the same pump! I have to admit trippin with the my lil mushies while they were dancing in the always changing multi colored fog was one of the best nights I've ever had. They got a lil damp :teeth:

#18 mithrandiir42

mithrandiir42

VIP Member

• Expired Member
  • 188 posts

Donator

Posted 27 September 2012 - 05:19 PM

Ya even the whisper brand air pump I got at the pet store is a bit noisy for my comfort

I have two Whisper air pumps... one for the mushies and one for my actual aquarium... I got the AP150 originally for the FC but I was so impressed with how quiet it was.. really I could barely hear it sitting directly on a metal shelf from a few feet away. So I stole it for the fish tank in the living room. Then I got a second one, the next model up the AP300 thinking I'd use it for the living room fishtank and use the smaller one for the FC. But I was kind of disappointed in the AP300. It moves a lot of air but is many times louder than the AP150.. I guess I figured it would just be like having two nearly silent pumps next to each other.. NOPE!

#19 mithrandiir42

mithrandiir42

VIP Member

• Expired Member
  • 188 posts

Donator

Posted 27 September 2012 - 05:28 PM

Lol I think we got the same pump! I have to admit trippin with the my lil mushies while they were dancing in the always changing multi colored fog was one of the best nights I've ever had. They got a lil damp :teeth:

Lol! I will most certainly have to pay them a visit when I finally eat some! I've just been collecting & drying for the past few weeks... The time just hasn't been right yet. But I think that will be very very soon! Maybe with the next flush so I have some freshies. I definitely think my first trip from my own home-grown mushrooms should be done fresh:)

#20 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 5,437 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 September 2012 - 05:44 PM

You cant go wrong with the ones you have grown your self. It will be such a satisfying experience and reward dry or fresh whan you come down and are like HOLLY SHIT I GREW THOSE!
But i gotta say Go for the fresh mushies if you have the chance. I can't pinpoint why but I just like them better. Tho I gotta say was a little difficult at first trying to chew em up and get em down. Others do tea or chocolates or have various methods of consuming them but I just munch em. If you do have some floss with ya. They are a strange spongy crispy stringy texture that can get stuck in your teeth. The only time I puked while on mushies was eating em fresh and an hour and a half into the trip finding a chunk in my teeth with my tongue. Not fun lol

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!