hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,759 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 September 2012 - 09:07 PM

Keeping It Alive And Growing Mycotopia.

Websites , like anything else need to grow and bring in fresh blood to liven the gene-pool and bring in new ideas. Mycotopia is nearly 12 years old now ! We're almost a teenager now ... as we mature , hopefully we grow. To do that we need to be spreading the word , by way of telling select friends , recommending the site to people of like mind etc.

I'm curious if anyone has any thoughts or brain-jams on how to spread the word about Mycotopia , not saying write graffiti of mycotopia.net in every bathroom urinal ... real , original ideas that can innovatively get the word out.

Anyone have any ideas on the subject of getting the word out about Mycotopia community and the sum of our works ?

A thought that I keep returning to is making bookmarks along the lines of SuckerFree's Mycotopia stickers , that has our logo and then mentions extensive archives and vaults with knowledge on growing your own mushrooms/cacti/sacred plants. The bookmark would include the website address and some psychedelic artwork and would be placed in libraries around the world in various books related to the kinds of stuff we talk about here.

It seems like a way to get the word out in a non-in-your-face kind of way , that is actually giving the person a nice bookmark , and if you see them missing because someone liked them enough to take them home you replace them. The bookmark could be printed in sheets on heavier card-stock , cut out and placed in bunches of books at your local library ...

What are your thoughts on growing Mycotopia ?

Edited by hyphaenation, 27 September 2012 - 12:06 PM.

• TurkeyRanch, Heirloom and pinhead23 like this

#2 LilBear

LilBear

Producer

• Expired Member
  • 1,087 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:02 PM

keep coming back to that catch phrase "We grow, we know, And we show, and we'll teach ya"

I like the idea though

#3 Il19z8rn4li1

Il19z8rn4li1

Green Thumb Blue Thumb

• Expired Member
  • 3,659 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:29 PM

I love it :D

I personally... am someone that is vary passionate about plants and the fungi, people know this.

So it wouldnt be strange to see a sweet ass poster like these here framed up displayed.
Great conversation pieces :)

https://mycotopia.ne...st-posters.html

They are discrete like you say too.

I cant wait to get them :)

#4 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,759 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:35 PM

Posted Image

#5 smilinjack

smilinjack

Mycophiliac

• OG VIP
  • 376 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 11:37 PM

I think that is a very good idea. If someone was willing to make up a printable version and upload I would gladly make some and distribute them at my local libraries. It's hard to find incognito ways to advertise, I don't think public in your face advertising is a very good idea. When cops see advertisement they tend to do something about it. As with the weed dispensaries, the dea makes a point of going after the ones that openly advertise.

#6 Spliff

Spliff

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 548 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 02:38 AM

That would make a really good business card Hyph, ill be sure to tell SWIM to insert some into his dealings. :eusa_liar

I dont think we need to market this great place, it sort of looks out for itself (given that it is maintained by a kickass team), how many members did we get out of Shroomery going down for a lil while?

But, I help kids not kill themselves by eating random shrooms, instead, telling them where to find a good identification resource :flash: What they make of the place once here is up to them, usually you get out what you put in. What I like here is that you get out a lot from putting in very little.

That, and I agree that when the student is ready to learn, the teacher appears. (Which one of you old timers said that?)

Love, peace, and strawberry jam.

#7 Erkee

Erkee

Trolls'R'us

• Expired Member
  • 1,477 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 07:02 AM

sell/distribute posters through friendly local head shops.
i could supply to a few i know if i had posters in hand. :)

#8 LilBear

LilBear

Producer

• Expired Member
  • 1,087 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 07:42 AM

then again, there's that thing about attention and people who don't like what goes on here and in similar places

#9 Zen_

Zen_

Timelord

• Founders
  • 5,088 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 September 2012 - 08:38 AM

This is a great thread and Mycotopia will need this kind of grassroots marketing in the near future. Also keep in mind that this site, over the years, has become way more than just psy stuff, mushrooms, etc. There are a LOT of forums covering a large span of accumulated group knowledge which should also be mentioned - painting this site as a community with lots to share.

Currently I believe Mycotopia is in it's death throws as Mrs.Hip and I are currently discussing the next possible evolution of the site, but right now, more than ever, we need your support. Member support. Without you and your support there is no Mycotopia, so if you love this site as much as you all say, now is the time to support it.

More details to follow as they become known, but keep the great ideas flowing because we're going to need every bit of that passion if we're to survive another year, let alone another 12 years. :)

:meditate:

#10 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,759 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 September 2012 - 12:04 PM

Any ideas , anyone ?

What are we going to do to keep the good ship Mycotopia afloat ?

#11 bigjimmy

bigjimmy

Let's ride...

• Expired Member
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 12:19 PM

I have personaly told 5 people of this site.
That is something we can all do.
Of course you may not want to try to get your
boss into spice smoking, or show your
neighbor your outdoor cube patch-

but you get the idea... we all probably
know a few people who might be interested,
but we just hadn't thought to mention it.

There is my idea.
Mention it!

peace
jimmy

#12 bugs

bugs

Are we having fun yet?

• OG VIP
  • 3,260 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 September 2012 - 12:21 PM

Many of the cannabis sites have forums dealing with shrooms, psychedelics etc. and a lot of the posters are looking for info to get started in mushroom cultivation. Shroomery etc. get a lot of attention but there's very little comment directing folks here. Whenever I come across this type of thread I put in a plug for 'Topia.

It's just a little thing, but the more we can steer the curious this way the more likely our membership will grow.

I'd sure hate to lose touch with the great people I've met here. Not to be too much of a pessimist, but if worse should come to worst maybe we could find a way to communicate the 'nyms we use on other sites so we can at least keep in touch.

#13 sleeponer

sleeponer

never wake up!

• Expired Member
  • 429 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 12:27 PM

i like the hidden gem idea like u no we could tell the world n have every other neighbor involved, but i like the whole mystery of hidden knowledge only known by select and chosen few

#14 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,759 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 September 2012 - 12:45 PM

Keeping it 'secret is all well and fine , so long is was supported financially by people of interest. That big mass of data won't pay for itself to be hosted ...

We need to be better caretakers of the resource, which is the sum of all our works here.

This may require having to dig deep, and all chip in whatever we can.

This site has given so much to so many. Its time to give back a bit.

#15 EstimatedProphet

EstimatedProphet

Bearer of Light

• Expired Member
  • 2,440 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 02:50 PM

We need stickers to buy that just say "mycotopia.net" and maybe something along the lines of "mycotopia.net, your mushroom growing resource" or something like that, IDK.

But yeah stickers to help spread the word. Do we already have stickers, I have not checked.

Once I get my second job I was planning on donating some cash to help out with things around here. I would really like to donate at least $100-$200, but I really need to get that second job to do so.

Edited by EstimatedProphet, 27 September 2012 - 03:12 PM.

#16 MrGumball

MrGumball

show me do it

• Expired Member
  • 2,339 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 September 2012 - 03:33 PM

Stickers, t-shirts, evaluating price of VIP memberships and making it more user friendly to become VIP...

Why is it that when Hyphae makes a thread about Mycotopia we then find out the future of 'topia is in danger?

Remember last time? https://mycotopia.ne...lease-read.html

#17 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,759 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 September 2012 - 03:41 PM

Probably because I'm a mod... But in this case I was taken by surprise. I only ever intended this thread to jam ideas on spreading the word about Mycotopia, to the right people, so it could grow + flourish. I had to go back and edit the title when I read zen's post.

I posted an identical thread back some years ago, but at the time we had twice the active members, and a lot of the comments were along the lines of shhhh people will find the Site if they are meant to. Now things are a bit different, less active members, less sponsors and less revenue to pay for the hosting.

That other link you gave was a different circumstance where I had a heads up through conversation before-hand and made that thread to give the members a heads-up and a space to comment on how they felt about Mycotopia.

I think we're in a similar but different boat compared to that situation.

Zen's post makes it all the more important to focus on what we need to do.

We need more dialog.

Edited by hyphaenation, 27 September 2012 - 04:17 PM.

#18 ethnobotanist420

ethnobotanist420

Welcome to the Machine

• OG VIP
  • 3,658 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 September 2012 - 04:08 PM

'Topia is in its death throws?????
Well that's just great.

#19 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,759 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 September 2012 - 04:33 PM

Operation Save Mycotopia?

Whose willing to upgrade to VIP and/or make a donation to help keep the site running?

Lots of you have donated and become VIP already, but in this crunch time could you come up with any kind of donation possible?

Mods, we need to dig deep for something, a donation to keep the ship afloat in these rough seas.

It's become harder and harder to run the site from an IT standpoint because we, like other sister OMC sites are under sustained attack from hackers and disruptors, and the various changes to stave off these attacks takes time and money. We need to raise more money and pay our bills better.

This site has never ever been big on asking for money from its users. Because of that members need to be pro-active in donating to the site, because every month there is real time bills.

Of course donating money is just one of the ways people can immediately help... Keep the ideas flowing for others.

Thoughts?

Edited by hyphaenation, 27 September 2012 - 04:47 PM.

#20 morfin-56

morfin-56

Mr. Miyagi

• Expired Member
  • 1,521 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 September 2012 - 04:56 PM

I got banned from rollitup.org for recommending mycrotopia and these forums to a few fellow growers.
They are afraid of the competition.. :rasta:
  • AGAMA likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!