10 replies to this topic

#1 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,386 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 October 2012 - 05:51 PM

I found a few different ones in the last week they are neat I found 2 that are hairy and 2 that are really slimy I have a feeling the slime might have healing properties like Aloe Vera :) just a hunch :)
They were all found under Larch / Tamarack trees
here is the first one

Suillus cavipes

The top of the cap is very hairy
IMG_7675.JPG
The under side of a mature one
IMG_7688.JPG
The Mycillium
IMG_7687.JPG
The texture of the stem and the veil
The stem is hollow I checked after reading the web sites listed at the bottom this mushroom is soposed to have a hollow stem in maturity
IMG_7664.JPG
IMG_7669.JPG
Close up of the pores they are shaped very neat :)
IMG_7679.JPG
This one u can see a mark but it dosnt stain when i run my finger nail against the pores
IMG_7692.JPG

http://www.rogersmus...ooserresult.asp

http://www.mushroome...us_cavipes.html

http://en.wikipedia....Suillus_cavipes

The pictures above were taken on Oct 4th

These were taken on the 5th

IMG_7841.JPG

IMG_7775.JPG

IMG_7774.JPG

and these were taken on the 6th
I think this one is more mature and wetter then the other ones
IMG_7885.JPG

IMG_7883.JPG

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_7662.JPG
  • IMG_7667.JPG
  • IMG_7671.JPG
  • IMG_7672.JPG
  • IMG_7676.JPG
  • IMG_7682.JPG
  • IMG_7685.JPG
  • IMG_7691.JPG
  • IMG_7772.JPG
  • IMG_7773.JPG
  • IMG_7784.JPG
  • IMG_7840.JPG
  • IMG_7882.JPG
  • IMG_7884.JPG

Edited by wildedibles, 06 October 2012 - 06:10 PM.

• Skywatcher likes this

#2 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Walk's between...

• 7,133 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 October 2012 - 08:49 PM

Really cool looking Wilde. Nice colour and really interesting how you showed the transition from the veil to the pores underneath.
  • wildedibles likes this

#3 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,386 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:13 AM

Thank you Skywatcher :) I tried hard to get good photos of this mushroom the textures are too cool to pass up :)
The texture of the spounge and the hairs mother nature is really neat when we start taking a closer look at things I get inspired :)
I want to learn more about the slimy mushrooms I will show in a little bit I thought I found Boletus but they are Suillus they are close they Boletus and family are really neat mushrooms

Here is another hairy one this one is one of the reasons I ended up here at Mycotopia I really wanted to know about mushrooms when I found this mushroom they are so interesting and the first mushroom I ever picked up in 30 years it was so special I had to take a close look at it and I have been picking mushrooms up everyday since :)

LOL I call these the Ketchup chip mushrooms :) ( it looks like kids spilled their chips on the ground bright reds very beautiful after i realized they were mushrooms )
Suillus spraguei
IMG_7705.JPG
https://mycotopia.ne...e-hard-one.html

I will be back later to add more pictures .... computer being very slow

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_7706.JPG
  • IMG_7704.JPG

Edited by wildedibles, 07 October 2012 - 08:35 AM.

#4 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,386 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 October 2012 - 11:43 AM

Thoes were taken on the 4th of Oct

These on the 5th some close ups first I love the close ups you can almost feel the texture of the hair which is more like a cotton candy texture then hair :)

IMG_7863.JPG
The texture on the caps is really neat hairy but not hairy cotton candy kinda fits
IMG_7844.JPG

IMG_7870.JPG
This picture above reminds me of a Chant the way the non gills run similar to gills :)
but all connecting like pores do tubes stuck they all combine so coolly not like a Beolt and not like a gilled mushroom or Chant

IMG_7857.JPG
theses have a similar pattern to the first one mentioned not round pores :)

clicking on images a few times brings them up bigger full size :)

IMG_7858.JPG

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_7876.JPG
  • IMG_7847.JPG
  • IMG_7851.JPG
  • IMG_7855.JPG
  • IMG_7859.JPG
  • IMG_7878.JPG
  • IMG_7842.JPG
  • IMG_7846.JPG
  • IMG_7848.JPG
  • IMG_7867.JPG
  • IMG_7872.JPG
  • IMG_7874.JPG

Edited by wildedibles, 07 October 2012 - 12:50 PM.

• Skywatcher likes this

#5 Erkee

Erkee

Trolls'R'us

• Expired Member
  • 1,477 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 06:35 AM

is that suillus 'lobstering' ie supporting a second (red) surface fungus?
  • wildedibles likes this

#6 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,386 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 October 2012 - 07:09 AM

nope it is all just that mushroom that looks like that pretty neat looking eh :)

#7 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,386 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:10 AM

I have a few more pictures to share of the hairy ones above :)

IMG_8565.JPG

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_8568.JPG
  • IMG_8501.JPG
  • IMG_8503.JPG
  • IMG_8512.JPG
  • IMG_8513.JPG
  • IMG_8515.JPG
  • IMG_8517.JPG
  • IMG_8518.JPG
  • IMG_8519.JPG
  • IMG_8520.JPG
  • IMG_8548.JPG
  • IMG_8549.JPG
  • IMG_8554.JPG
  • IMG_8556.JPG
  • IMG_8559.JPG
  • IMG_8563.JPG

#8 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,386 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 October 2019 - 08:17 PM

Suillus luteus

[Direct Link]

#9 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,386 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 February 2020 - 02:51 PM

here is 2 more mushroom videos on Suillus luteus

[Direct Link]

[Direct Link]

and the description i posted below seen under the video on youtube

I find these mushrooms every year under larch or tamarack or pine trees... they are edible with the slimy skin removed...sometimes people get sick from eating them without the skin removed I did but it passed the next day... I use them topically for dry skin kinda like jelly fungi...you can dry them well on a paper bag cut up first...they are an earthy tasting mushroom I found them good

#Suillus

#Suillusluteus

#mushroomfriends  

Part A https://youtu.be/QVTfospPy-k

Part C https://youtu.be/VajPPUvbtzU

mycotopia https://mycotopia.ne...ic/82539-sui...

wikipedia https://en.wikipedia...wiki/Suillus...

mushroom expert https://www.mushroom...t.com/suillu...

Edited by wildedibles, 27 February 2020 - 02:54 PM.

#10 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,386 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 February 2020 - 07:59 PM

here is a video on Suillus spraguei or Suillus pictus and Suillus cavipes

[Direct Link]

and information I added at the end of the video

I find these mushrooms growing under larch or tamarack trees, pine 3 kinds white pine, red pine, scotch pine, spruce, aspen and birch trees...It is a new woods I have watched these trees grow over my head in the last 10 years ...it is in low land and floods in the spring there is moss and lichen everywhere very interesting plants around such as Labrador tea, pearly ever lasting, sun dew, eyebright, and lobelia...

Suillus pictus and Suillus spraguei are the same mushroom and it looks like someone tossed some ketchup chips in the woods until you get a closer look...these mushrooms all have interesting sponge texture or almost fancy veins instead of gills on the underside of the cap some of the most interesting mushrooms I have seen ...even the spore prints are diffrent if I remember right they both have olive green spores...

they are listed as edible when cooked well and skin on the cap peeled off these are hairy or scaly compared to other suillus mushrooms having slimy caps...I have not tried these mushrooms the Suillus pictus is plentiful but the Suillus cavipes are not as common so I would not harvest them ...here is some links to more information on these mushrooms where I learned most of the information and where I put more information together on this family of mushroom

this is interesting information on similar mushrooms
"S. spraguei is a popular edible among novice mushroom hunters as it is readily identifiable due to both its appearance and its association with white pine. This renders it unlikely to be confused with other species,[17] but it shares similar characteristics with several other Suillus species. S. spraguei bears some resemblance to the rosy larch bolete (S. ochraceoroseus),[25] but the latter species has a darker spore print, a thicker stem, and grows in association with larch.[26] S. cavipes, another associate of larch trees, is more brownish and has a hollow stalk.[27] S. lakei is less brightly colored than S. spraguei, has a shorter stalk, and usually grows with Douglas fir.[28] S. decipiens has a less intensely red cap when young, but the color of older specimens fade and can resemble S. spraguei. S. decipiens generally has a smaller stature, with a cap ranging from 4 to 7 cm (1.6 to 2.8 in) in diameter, and stem that is typically 4–7 cm (1.6–2.8 in) long by 0.7–1.6 cm (0.3–0.6 in) thick. Further, its pores are irregular in shape, measuring 0.5–1 mm in diameter at maturity, and stain a shade of hazel rather than reddish to brownish. It is found in the southeastern United States, from New Jersey south to Florida and west to Texas.[29] "

we have all these trees in the same area but I am pretty certain on my names listed... its always good to look up lots of information when learning about mushrooms there is so many closely looking mushrooms out there and possibly new ones or something??

I'm not recommending this be your only reference to identify this mushroom... But it can be helpful to watch videos... Look at photos... Read some links provided below... Meeting with someone who knows about this mushroom or meeting with a mycology group near you... Use multiple sources when trying to identify any wild mushrooms... And Have fun learning in nature some mushrooms might be toxic but others are yummy and full of nutrients...

Just be very careful Be very careful when eating wild mushrooms there are toxic ones... Also You might have allergies so try a little bit of a safe mushroom first... And learn how to properly prepare your find... If possible keep a piece of the mushroom your eating just in case if you take it to the emergency center with you they can possibly identify it... And provide the best treatment

#11 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,386 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 March 2020 - 11:27 AM

Here is my newest Suillus video Suillus grevillei

[Direct Link]

and some information I included at the bottom

"

wikipedia
"It grows in the soil of mixed forests, not always at the foot of larch (can be quite some distance away) with which it lives in symbiosis. It grows from June until November. Suillus grevillei is an edible mushroom (without consistency nor flavor) if the slimy cuticle is removed off the cap. This mucousy skin layer is what is known to cause intestinal issues, as is the case with several other Suillus such as Slippery Jack (S. luteus) or Jill (S. salmonicolor); often considered to be not worth the work. Its name is derived from Robert Kaye Greville.[1] "

That from wikipedia is interesting ...there are a few different mushrooms that look very much the same in the suillus family here is

my playlist on Suillus

After I ate this mushroom I had gotten sick the next day because I did not remove the skin I knew what the issue is with this mushroom but wanted to try it with the skin now I wont do that again lol

but I wasn't worried I knew that it is a safe mushroom to eat other than that and I knew for certain that it was these slimy suillus I always make certain on the mushroom I'm eating if I'm not I learn more until I'm 110%certain

I'm not recommending this be your only reference to identify this mushroom... But it can be helpful to watch videos... Look at photos... Read some links provided below... Meeting with someone who knows about this mushroom or meeting with a mycology group near you... Use multiple sources when trying to identify any wild mushrooms... And Have fun learning in nature some mushrooms might be toxic but others are yummy and full of nutrients...

Just be very careful Be very careful when eating wild mushrooms there are toxic ones... You might have allergies so try a little bit of a safe mushroom first... And learn how to properly prepare your find... If possible keep a piece of the mushroom your eating just in case if you take it to the emergency center with you they can possibly identify it... And provide the best treatment

Suillus grevillei I find this mushroom under larch or Tamarack trees... Here is some information on this mushroom... If you have any information or questions about this mushroom leave a comment please enjoy

Mycotopia
Information on Suillus family I have collected

thanks so much much love xoxox snow balls and bunny kisses xoxox

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!