2030 replies to this topic

#2021 ethnobotanist420

ethnobotanist420

Welcome to the Machine

• OG VIP
  • 3,358 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 January 2017 - 10:06 PM

What kind of contaminants are we likely to run into with wood? I assume trich can and will grow on wood but I have read woodchips are much more resistant...

I just put some mycelium growing on cardboard that an awesome member from here gifted me (thank you!!) into some small jars of soaked and PCed hickory smoking chips...

I didn't clean the mycelium up on agar but I'm thinking even if I see some contamination I can transfer healthy mycelium to new chips and continue this until all contaminants are left behind... kinda like cleaning up on agar... does that sound feasible?
  • salviamycelium likes this

#2022 Arathu

Arathu

Woodlover

• OG VIP
  • 2,613 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 January 2017 - 08:23 AM

Way more resistant but it's all there and then some creepy critters and all...............

Viable mycelium on cardboard transfers readily to wood chips and woody stems..........

From cardboard...you're good....put wet chips.........keep moist (NOT soaked) with air exchange

expand i.e. put the colonized chips in with more prepared the same way on another cardboard in a plastic container with foil over it....per waylit  :biggrin:

Edited by Arathu, 15 January 2017 - 08:35 AM.

• ethnobotanist420 likes this

#2023 salviamycelium

salviamycelium

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 29 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 09:39 AM

I have something of about 1.5mm in diameter on one agar plate. It's perfectly white and round. Not an agar clump. But it's one plate with DRY ovoid spores; not even rehydrated and it's only a day old. What can it be? Can it be contam, this fast? Temp. is about 27C or 80F... 

#2024 Arathu

Arathu

Woodlover

• OG VIP
  • 2,613 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 January 2017 - 04:04 PM

Salvia some organisms only live a day so the term fast is relative IMHO ........could be contamination but I've learned not to worry too much in that respect as long as I can ID the mycelium I'm looking for. It's kind of the point of using agar. Germinate, isolate, and select mycelium with targeted traits, transfer to new plate(s) and repeat as necessary/desired........and 27C is a little warmer than I like to go but it works. Most of my stuff is done at 21c/70f.................dry spores don't stay dry very long on agar plates. I like to use a streaking pattern, the same one each time, so that I'm looking for growth in the pattern itself. (Just helps to narrow down the "What is growing here") to start the process off.

A

• mjroom and salviamycelium like this

#2025 salviamycelium

salviamycelium

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 29 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 04:19 PM

Should I keep them at room temp, rather? That's 20 in my home. 

Edited by salviamycelium, 15 January 2017 - 04:20 PM.

#2026 Arathu

Arathu

Woodlover

• OG VIP
  • 2,613 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 January 2017 - 04:42 PM

My experience has been cooler goes slower with less "contamination", which is probably better stated as non target growth but they are the same thing in my view of it, and warmer is faster with way more "contamination". Room temperature of 20c/68f should work well. Keep an eye on them and watch the changes, adjust as necessary. Also from experience is to note that fungi sometimes don't react very well to big changes in environmental conditions. Get some good focused pictures of the growth(s) on your agar if you can. 

• moricz likes this

#2027 moricz

moricz

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 83 posts

Posted Today, 11:53 AM

Ok, so these are the last pix, enjoy :)

IMG_2409.jpg IMG_2411.jpg IMG_2414.jpg IMG_2415.jpg IMG_2416.jpg IMG_2408.jpg IMG_2420.jpg IMG_2421.jpg IMG_2422.jpg

Edited by moricz, Today, 11:58 AM.

• hyphaenation, Arathu, Viridis420 and 3 others like this

#2028 salviamycelium

salviamycelium

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 29 posts

Posted Today, 12:39 PM

So far NO success; I've only grown contams. I've grown bread mold (green); white mold and some slimy bacteria. I'm throwing away everything. 

My experience has been cooler goes slower with less "contamination", which is probably better stated as non target growth but they are the same thing in my view of it, and warmer is faster with way more "contamination". Room temperature of 20c/68f should work well. Keep an eye on them and watch the changes, adjust as necessary. Also from experience is to note that fungi sometimes don't react very well to big changes in environmental conditions. Get some good focused pictures of the growth(s) on your agar if you can. 

#2029 Arathu

Arathu

Woodlover

• OG VIP
  • 2,613 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted Today, 08:04 PM

So far NO success; I've only grown contams. I've grown bread mold (green); white mold and some slimy bacteria. I'm throwing away everything. 

No way I'm going to click "like" for this..................bummer! Do not give up.............pour more plates and try again.............it'll happen.

#2030 Arathu

Arathu

Woodlover

• OG VIP
  • 2,613 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted Today, 08:05 PM

Holy crap are those beautiful! Nice job moricz....did anyone nominate any of these photo's yet for POTM?

• catattack likes this

#2031 Arathu

Arathu

Woodlover

• OG VIP
  • 2,613 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted Today, 08:44 PM

The first picture...........IMHO..........nah...all of them....................

Edited by Arathu, Today, 09:29 PM.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!