#3621 Seeker2be

Seeker2be

Seeking Lost Horizons

• OG VIP
  • 1,357 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 June 2019 - 10:10 PM

I cant remember if there has been any discussion on this thread about growing outside in containers like large flower pots but I have 5 going in addition to some outside beds.  Even though I made shoebox totes with wood chips and also sawdust bags I find that often in outside beds there is still grain present. and varmints will dig up the beds. .   Also slugs are a problem where I live and containers prevent them from invading for the most part.  Just some thoughts.

Edited by Seeker2be, 03 June 2019 - 10:12 PM.

• Heirloom and wharfrat like this

#3622 Heirloom

Heirloom

Quantum Particle

• OG VIP
  • 4,631 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 June 2019 - 01:26 AM

seeker i was looking through this thread yesterday and saw flower pots square and round with fruit , i recall it only takes 2 or 3 liters of colonized chips to fruit of course ,more is better.

I saw you post about 5 years ago on page 13 or 14  here's a square flower pot or that's what I think it is, wavy caps. there's some smaller round pots with ovoids in here  among others totes too.

https://mycotopia.ne...row-log/page-15

peace

• Seeker2be likes this

#3623 Ferather

Ferather

Mycological

• Free Member
  • 1,437 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 June 2019 - 08:56 AM

I make cake-blocks, that I later remove and case in a larger container (such as a tub or large flower-tree pot).

You can add non-toxic slug pellets around and on the surface of the tub-pot colony.

Fruiting-w.png   Fruiting-f.png

• Bobotrank likes this

#3624 Seeker2be

Seeker2be

Seeking Lost Horizons

• OG VIP
  • 1,357 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 June 2019 - 10:55 AM

Cake blocks?  Thanks for the slug pellet suggestion.

Edited by Seeker2be, 04 June 2019 - 10:55 AM.

• Ferather likes this

#3625 Ferather

Ferather

Mycological

• Free Member
  • 1,437 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 June 2019 - 02:42 PM

Like in my illustration, the white rectangle is the block (colonized substrate in a tray-container, removed).

IMG_20170215_175545.jpg   IMG_20170303_133131.jpg   IMG_20170303_133141.jpg   IMG_20160720_101156.jpg   IMG_20160922_100345.jpg

I used wood rich compost and lime for my casing.

Edited by Ferather, 04 June 2019 - 02:44 PM.

#3626 Seeker2be

Seeker2be

Seeking Lost Horizons

• OG VIP
  • 1,357 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 July 2019 - 07:06 PM

There is nothing new under the sun it is said but there is an evolution of thought potentially for the individual who is open to it.  I have been working with Baeocystis a frustratingly slow grower on agar,etc and with Semilanceata (rare to cultivate unless there is a secret unknown to me)  The baeo is thought to be a secondary decomposer growing on rotting wood though a horse poo grow was documented by Workman on the "other" site....  I was thinking and thinking how to expand the cultures of each enough to get an amount to inoculate prospective beds/totes.  I have previously eschewed liquid cultures  due to risk of contams but with these two in liquid culture colonizes fine and are theoretically through redundantly inoculating patches and promising areas with the L/C may well.  Baeos grow poorly if not slowly on grain, not much on bran, not on earthgro (also tried rotting wood from the forest-nope) and slow on manure while Libs grow slow on grain.  One can do the same inoculation with colonized light agar in a quart jar making an Liquid inoculent, though as mention growith is slow on agar..

See the Semilanceata thread I am working on for my project to get that to fruit.

#3627 Seeker2be

Seeker2be

Seeking Lost Horizons

• OG VIP
  • 1,357 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 August 2019 - 07:04 PM

A woodlovers lamentation poem ala Dr Seuss: It does not grow on grain, It does not grow in the rain, It will not grow on earthgro, It does not need to grow.  It will not grow on chips and doesnt grow on sawdust dips.  It doesnt like straw but I pour the liquid culture in the raw.  It does like my bran/ I do not understand. It will not grow on poo and I wonder what you do.... Baeocystis

• Bobotrank likes this

#3628 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,759 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 August 2019 - 08:07 PM

Agar ?

#3629 Seeker2be

Seeker2be

Seeking Lost Horizons

• OG VIP
  • 1,357 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 August 2019 - 08:48 PM

Agar with MEA, OK, Agar with Bran sloooooow man, Agar with potatoes slow on the up go, Agar with wood water doesnt really matter.  I studied the habitat,  old wood at that and maybe grass borders with wood and poo, but who knew?  Liquid culture with karo and water and the mycelium grows as it oughter.  Go figure , may be a pasture with Trigger.

Edited by Seeker2be, 16 August 2019 - 08:52 PM.

• bezevo likes this

#3630 myancyan

myancyan

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 333 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 10:01 PM

Any higher latitude folk finding woodlovers yet? Or any prepared beds showing promise?
I'm asking because temps in the north east of Vermont have been pretty close to optimal for a little over a week and we have optimal temps for the foreseeable future. Good luck mycophiles

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

#3631 myancyan

myancyan

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 333 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 10:02 PM

Any higher latitude folk finding woodlovers yet? Or any prepared beds showing promise?
I'm asking because temps in the north east of Vermont have been pretty close to optimal for a little over a week and we have optimal temps for the foreseeable future. Good luck mycophiles

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

#3632 swayambhu

swayambhu

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 114 posts

Posted 16 September 2019 - 04:17 AM

Unusually early show from my cyanescens patch.

In the photos you will see a large white object in the background, which is an abandoned ceramic plant pot. It seems to have perhaps created a super micro climate which has prompted pinning? It is fully glazed and filled with water which might promote humidity and slightly lower temps??

If that is what has happened it is interesting that there are areas of pins which are some way away from the pot.

I don't really know how it all works, but as this bed is from a multi-spore innoculation, perhaps this is a distinct mycelium that is pinning early, while the rest of the quite large patch remains predictably dormant.

Unfortunately as it is still quite warm, there are still a lot of slugs about, and the little fuckers do like to eat the caps off the pins.

Due to the unusual timing I wont be surprised if a considerable proportion of these guys abhort. You can see by the blue caps that a number have already checked out early. Ho-hum.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20190916_091039.jpg
  • IMG_20190916_091052.jpg
  • IMG_20190916_091057.jpg

Edited by swayambhu, 16 September 2019 - 04:19 AM.

• Bobotrank, ItBeBasidia and smellitstinknot like this

#3633 swayambhu

swayambhu

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 114 posts

Posted 27 September 2019 - 10:57 AM

This section of my patch has gone mental this year, I've attached a photo, I had to thin it a couple of days ago because the mushrooms were growing so tightly together.
My other patch is pinning, so harvest time for that one will be a more normal mid October.
I'm not sure if it's genetic variation or that they are growing very densely but the stems on the patch pictured are maybe a quarter as thick as those on the other.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20190927_163907.jpg
  • IMG_20190927_163918.jpg

• Mushinist, Bobotrank, ItBeBasidia and 1 other like this

#3634 swayambhu

swayambhu

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 114 posts

Posted 28 September 2019 - 02:23 PM

This early harvest dried down to about 20g, which, along with my other patch, will easily see me through the year.
I thoroughly recommend this species for its low maintenance, environmental friendliness, high yield and potency.
Weight for weight I think these are more potent than my local semilanceata (which are potent!) . I did import spores from the US, which was the main outlay in terms of money, as I've heard the UK strains are not terribly strong.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20190927_204443.jpg

• Mushinist, Bobotrank, ItBeBasidia and 1 other like this

#3635 smellitstinknot

smellitstinknot

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 14 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 08:26 PM

Great looking patch swayambhu. Air temp isn't so important as is ground temperature to initiate pinning. Well watered patches can often fruit surprisingly early. Look forward to seeing the rest of the patch in bloom. The season here (Australia) has just come to an end so it's all eyes on the PNW and perhaps some indoor fruiting experiments as time allows.

Edited by smellitstinknot, 07 October 2019 - 08:26 PM.

• swayambhu likes this

#3636 Seeker2be

Seeker2be

Seeking Lost Horizons

• OG VIP
  • 1,357 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 November 2019 - 11:05 AM

To

Edited by Seeker2be, 27 November 2019 - 02:47 PM.

• Tenderfoot and happy4nic8r like this

#3637 happy4nic8r

happy4nic8r

cyans rule!!

• OG VIP
  • 3,584 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 November 2019 - 11:24 AM

First rain and cold weather of the year here last night. I'm out of town for a couple of days to work, but I am definitely going hunting when I get home. A little sun, maybe in a few days and my patches should pop!! 

I just made up some syringes and some lc from my last print of cyan that I took five years ago and posted on this thread. It has been spread everywhere I have populated, in the most likely grow areas, and has been found in only a few. That is far better than the planet has offered on its own. I consider this a huge success. One more step for mankind, inside.

#3638 Seeker2be

Seeker2be

Seeking Lost Horizons

• OG VIP
  • 1,357 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 November 2019 - 02:45 PM

As the holiday season approaches I wish you this Mycological greeting:
May the meruliporia incrassata and the serpula lacrymans (the home wreckers)not grace your home
May you appreciate the Psuedotusga Menziesii (Douglas fir tree) and the memories of cantherallus cibiaria and craterallis tubeformis (Chanterelles) that thrives beneath them in mycelial abundance in the mycorrhizolsphere and world of the vesicular arbusicular medium. May you be ever cognizant the joy of Tsuga Sieboldeii (Hemlock tree) as you walk the forests as well as the ever present wind waving beauty of the Thuja plicata (Western Red Cedar) and Acer Macrophyllum (Big leaf maple) gracing the skies above you. Do not forget the Alnus Rubra (the red Alder) that we inoculate with Hypholoma Sublaterium and lenticula edodes (Shitaki mushrooms). May you find the Allotropa vigarata (Candystick parasitic plant) in great abundance and seek out the tricholoma magnevelere (Matsutake).

Think back on the giving thanks for the friendship building of sharing forays finding Chlorphyllum Rachoides (Parasol mushrooms, laccarias, lacterius,cantherallis (Chanterelles), hydenellum (Hedgehog mushroom), rex-varus (Spring Boletes), cortarinus, russula, boleteus, morchella (Morel mushrooms) and suillus (Slippery Jack mushrooms). Make the effort to make a spore print of another wonderful year of our lives and plan to clone the best of friendships and expand the culture of mycology in the coming year

Edited by Seeker2be, 27 November 2019 - 02:54 PM.

• happy4nic8r and Nicked like this

#3639 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,799 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 November 2019 - 12:12 AM

I'm glad that this thread is still kicking it, that is all.

• Bobotrank likes this

#3640 Bobotrank

Bobotrank

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 98 posts

Posted 08 December 2019 - 03:10 AM

I honestly feel like it's Cheers in here.  Hey there, Normie.

Hope everyone is enjoying the season.  I've got some Az spawn going right now.  Going to transfer it to wood chips this week, and expand.

Found some allenii out in the wild.  Pulled them, and took some mycelium with 'em, which is now in a tote full of chips, sawdust, and cardboard.  Made some prints, too.  Hopefully this species is easier than cyans.  Cyans have proven a bitch to even pop for me.  I just don't get it.  I have some spores on agar currently that are mycelating, finally.  Where Az are always aggressive on grain for me, Cyans have given me a little bit of hell. 

allenii_01.jpg

allenii_02.jpg

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!