4496 replies to this topic

#3681 Ferather

Ferather

Mycological

• Free Member
  • 1,480 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 May 2020 - 06:20 AM

Myself, mostly cold loving gourmet fungi, such as blue and king oyster, nameko, so on. moricz is the person to talk to in terms of an indoor fruiting setup. Unfortunately he does not post here much anymore, however I follow him elsewhere and can say he has pretty much fruited everything.

He uses a cold cellar to fruit his magic wood-loving mycelium, using the plant pot method I use for outdoor purposes.

----

Personally, for outdoors, I colonize a substrate as a block, indoors using spawn, when colonized I remove it.

I then place it into a larger container with compost (the block near the surface), and water.

888158372-IMG_20160920_113357.jpg 888158462-IMG_20160921_122656.jpg 888158677-IMG_20160922_100345.jpg

699378384-Fruiting-w.png 699378343-Fruiting-f.png

Edited by Ferather, 15 May 2020 - 06:22 AM.

• Arathu and YoshiTrainer like this

#3682 Ferather

Ferather

Mycological

• Free Member
  • 1,480 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 May 2020 - 07:05 AM

Some science:

White-rot fungi: https://res.mdpi.com...09-01163-v2.pdf || http://www.davidmoor...iterotfungi.htm

TGel: https://en.wikipedia..._content_in_tea || https://frida.foodda...ood/115?lang=en

Carbon sources: https://imgur.com/a/8jngxe8

----

Baeocystin:  [C11]--[H15]--[N2]--[O4]--[P]
Norbaeocystin: [C10]--[H13]--[N2]--[O4]--[P]

Psilocybin:  [C12]--[H17]--[N2]--[O4]--[P]
Psilocin:  [C12]--[H16]--[N2]--[O]

From above:

"Psilocybin is a tryptamine compound with a chemical structure containing an indole ring linked to an ethylamine substituent. It is chemically related to the amino acid tryptophan, and is structurally similar to serotonin."
"Psilocybin is a member of the tryptophan-based compounds that originally functioned as antioxidants in earlier life forms before assuming more complex functions in multicellular organisms."

"Psilocin is relatively unstable in solution due to its phenolic hydroxy (-OH) group. In the presence of oxygen it readily forms bluish and dark black degradation products"
"Most species of psilocybin-containing mushrooms bruise blue when handled or damaged due to the oxidization of phenolic compounds"

"Psilocin is broken down by the enzyme monoamine oxidase. Some psilocin is not broken down, and forms a glucuronide"

Notes:

Nor-baeocystin are analogs of psilocybin, meaning single or various elements are added or removed.
It appears they can be phosphorylated or dephosphorylated (cleaved, added, a cycle?).
All four compounds contain carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen and oxygen.

Serotonin:  [C10]--[H12]--[N2]--[O]

Attached Thumbnails

• 677970628-Beard.jpg

Edited by Ferather, 15 May 2020 - 07:17 AM.

• mjroom, UnHeisenbug and YoshiTrainer like this

#3683 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 1,652 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 May 2020 - 01:02 PM

Thank you for sharing Farather, I love the "bearded" photo. :)
  • Ferather likes this

#3684 UnHeisenbug

UnHeisenbug

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 119 posts

Posted 15 May 2020 - 01:14 PM

Your brain must really be that big. I did not know the difference in white rot and brown or the existence of norbaeocystin.

Thank you for sharing!

Edited by UnHeisenbug, 15 May 2020 - 01:16 PM.

• Ferather likes this

#3685 Ferather

Ferather

Mycological

• Free Member
  • 1,480 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 May 2020 - 04:21 PM

I'm a lucky mix of ADHD and logically minded, (genetics). Be sure to use Mycotopia search, Google or similar, they are literally encyclopedias.

I like to read new information, or any thing around 2008+, older information can end up being wrong, or missing recent data.

Be sure to share any information you find, or generate from experience, I do it for free myself.

• mjroom, Nicked, UnHeisenbug and 1 other like this

#3686 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 7,474 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 May 2020 - 06:56 PM

post-113856-0-58331700-1589586857.jpg

Your native woodlovers are all you'll ever need.......

A

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_5806.JPG

Edited by Arathu, 15 May 2020 - 06:56 PM.

• YoshiTrainer likes this

#3687 UnHeisenbug

UnHeisenbug

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 119 posts

Posted 16 May 2020 - 03:50 PM

Is that a volunteer or something you cultured from a wild patch?

Edited by UnHeisenbug, 16 May 2020 - 03:51 PM.

#3688 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 7,474 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 May 2020 - 04:04 PM

The mycelium was invited to jump from a patch onto some pasteurized Japanese Knotweed stems.....

Which were expanded using more of the same material.....

That's what it's fruiting from, mixed with potting soil and mulch......

Basically it's a "LOW/NO TEK" what-so-ever.

A

• UnHeisenbug and YoshiTrainer like this

#3689 UnHeisenbug

UnHeisenbug

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 119 posts

Posted 17 May 2020 - 08:12 AM

You build it and they will come....
  • Arathu likes this

#3690 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 7,474 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 May 2020 - 08:32 AM

IMHO when we build a relationship with "local" fungus, to whatever level you feel that you need to, they will absolutely oblige your interests.....

I understand that many folks just don't have that option, at least not as far as we know yet, (but I'd bet my bandanna they just need discovered).....

If I were back in "the old country" as my grandparents, aunts, and uncles used call their original European homelands.......I'd be looking for P. serbica and P. cyanescens first.....then experimenting with P. ovoideocystidiata and perhaps others....

Still a bed of serbica and cyans (wavy caps) that's taken care of would provide plenty for the future......careful choice and placement in the environment makes all the difference...

Indeed invite them home and show them that you know what they want/need......

A

• UnHeisenbug and YoshiTrainer like this

#3691 Mycol

Mycol

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 313 posts

Posted 18 May 2020 - 06:29 AM

When you put cyan spores on agar can they incubate in the same temps as cubes ? Haven’t found anything to say other wise
  • Arathu likes this

#3692 newmoon

newmoon

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 380 posts

Posted 18 May 2020 - 10:27 AM

When you put cyan spores on agar can they incubate in the same temps as cubes ? Haven’t found anything to say other wise

Comfortable room temperature is fine, yes.

• Arathu likes this

#3693 UnHeisenbug

UnHeisenbug

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 119 posts

Posted 24 May 2020 - 12:54 PM

IMHO when we build a relationship with "local" fungus, to whatever level you feel that you need to, they will absolutely oblige your interests.....

I understand that many folks just don't have that option, at least not as far as we know yet, (but I'd bet my bandanna they just need discovered).....

If I were back in "the old country" as my grandparents, aunts, and uncles used call their original European homelands.......I'd be looking for P. serbica and P. cyanescens first.....then experimenting with P. ovoideocystidiata and perhaps others....

Still a bed of serbica and cyans (wavy caps) that's taken care of would provide plenty for the future......careful choice and placement in the environment makes all the difference...

Indeed invite them home and show them that you know what they want/need......

A

Well sayed Arathu.

Wavy caps like to move into landscaped mulch beds around these parts. A national botanical garden here is apparently infested with this species.

I hear there are liberty caps if you go looking. The issue I see for going observe are that many mushrooms are LBM (little brown mushrooms). It seems like it would be easy to make a fatal mistake foraging.

I would love to collect spores from wild species though! Or just provide them some bedding to grow strong in.

Here are some local species in my local species guide.

Cheers!3c13521ae4e1d434ced57eedbc82bc1d.jpg35b82874c26eb4cbab9caf297860b103.jpg
  • Arathu and ItBeBasidia like this

#3694 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 7,474 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 May 2020 - 03:11 PM

From Wiki......and this page of your book....

Man look how beautiful that is? Oh my! So these might be a goal at some point.........

FimeteriA.jpg

Psilocybe fimetaria is found growing solitary to gregariously on horse or cow dung, in grassy areas or in rich soils, and often fruits in large rings, from September to November, known from Canada (British Columbia and New Brunswick), the Pacific Northwest (Washington, Oregon, and Idaho), Chile, Great Britain, and Europe. Widely distributed but not very common.

A dung lover that apparently doesn't die from freezing all over Europe AND some of NA? SA, GB .......and Europe...... :biggrin:

Nice...did not know that...almost as cool as getting woodlovers to fruit down in the south-lands and tropics.....

But that's outrageous in the woodlover thread eh? Nah....

So a bed or three of wavy caps hitting up the landscaping.....get your mulch (or at least a sneaky donation or theirs) from their suppliers.....

The botanical garden probably has some fungiphiles working there, surely visiting, and the species was INVITED to move in. Another possibility is that they are in fact sentient and moved in themselves....it's a win-win situation either way. A third possibility is that we have been sharing a symbiotic relationship with these species for a very long time and are now just remembering that, again.they LOVE our landscaping habits with watering equipment.....still...win-win. The by products are happy people and really rich black soils.....hmmm

It's the perfect starter gift for a brave new world....

Carefully find what you're looking for as your instincts on it are correct. To the new eye they are all just LBM and having a healthy respect for the LBM's that will kill you is a really good idea.....

But with careful observation and diligence, usually quite a bit of patience, sooner or later you'll see it, and everything will line up.

I took it as quest in every sense and meaning of the word....

You might be surprised what you can do with a cyan print and a couple of small jars of properly hydrated and sterilized grains. Spores WILL germinate right on the grains, print to grain. Contamination rates are high using such methods but it does work. As you move into more disciplined aseptic work those rates improve drastically which is of course the reason we learn them and buy/make the equipment for it.

One of the beauties of woodlovers is that just a few uncontaminated kernels/grains colonized with mycelium can be removed from contaminated jars and continued to be expanded exponentially onto/into cardboard, paper egg carton (which is really good), and to chips of many, many different kinds. Once on wood the contamination "problems" go way down but certainly not away......it's fun!

And do enjoy yourself....become a keeper of sacred medicines.....they WILL recognize that you are....

At least that's some of my views and opinions....

Surely more to follow...

And perhaps learn what P. serbica looks like and where it grows.....it might be living closer than you think at first...

A

• bezevo and YoshiTrainer like this

#3695 ItBeBasidia

ItBeBasidia

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 346 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 May 2020 - 03:13 PM

Hey Unheisenbug,

I've found plenty of cyanescens around the UK. The culture I'm working on right now is from a patch I found outside Tesco. I've actually had more luck finding cyans than Libs when I lived in the UK. Only because I'd have to travel a ways to get to prime lib spots.

For Libs, they really abound in the northern and high altitude areas. Places like the peak district, lake district, York, Dartmoor, snowdonia, and all of Scotland.

For Cyans, just like you said, landscaped mulch beds are where they'll be until hard freezing comes about.

These Cyans were found in late November outside Sainsbury.

The Libs were found in Dartmoor
94eea3e700a7fac781312ae465edec78.jpge8991385cb1a4ad0601e0cb38ed1f05b.jpge7776e02a2f96fd1ad861a6509748932.jpgac153292a4717c5ebe57fbb54d39533a.jpg

Edited by ItBeBasidia, 24 May 2020 - 05:01 PM.

• Arathu, UnHeisenbug and YoshiTrainer like this

#3696 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 7,474 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 May 2020 - 03:21 PM

ac153292a4717c5ebe57fbb54d39533a.jpg

THIS right here.......is the bomb! This works like a charm and is extremely convenient.

Once the mycelium tears into the egg carton with vigor start adding hydrated chips.....

Careful you don't make truckloads of spawn and wind up with 20 kilo's of mushrooms in your yards......hahahahaha!

It will be cool until someone else figures out what they are.....

:meditate:

Who me?

A

small_IMG_6050.jpg

From "infected" landscaping......look at the "decorative pot"......hahahaha..

I've seen ovoids growing in the landscaping at a local courthouse....and police stations too....

Edited by Arathu, 24 May 2020 - 03:27 PM.

• ItBeBasidia and YoshiTrainer like this

#3697 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 7,474 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 May 2020 - 03:35 PM

post-113856-0-42691200-1590352171.jpg

WTF is it about humans and landscaping? I know I don't like mowing grass man..what a drag it is....maybe mulching the whole thing is GREAT idea....

I'm sure these just jumped up from the river valley and moved into the neighborhood on their own....flowers out in the landscaping I'm sure

The pot and it's dead flowers, long since gone, was thrown in the trash....a mushroom grew out of the "ruined" wooden basket....

A

Attached Thumbnails

• small_IMG_6053.jpg

• twoguysupnorth, UnHeisenbug and YoshiTrainer like this

#3698 Rac3k

Rac3k

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 88 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 May 2020 - 10:47 AM

my first try at woodlovers, with psilocybe cyan,.... agar -> popcorn ->  chips

ps.cyan1.jpg

but,.....there is mold starting to grow on my wood chips  :ohmy:

chip.jpg

First I did 1 day bleach soak and then i also boiled the chips

I boiled them because they were old and left in the bag for liek 10 years in the basement, but I'm starting to think this did more harm than good

Should I just throw this and start over with fresh chips?

#3699 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 7,474 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 May 2020 - 11:43 AM

Easiest thing to do is simply pick them out, carefully, and away from any other grows you have....and then keep going. Usually P.cyan just overruns the green and (they either co-exist or it just kills it I do not know which for certain) Absolute worst case scenario, aside from the green winning and killing all of the cyan, is moving a mass of chips to an outside location and let mother nature take care of business. Chips with healthy fungus growing on them, and that looks healthy to me, are amazingly healed outdoors, in the deep shade, with real or simulated rains regularly....I'd bet the number one killer of woodlover beds is drying out.....(BUT some folks HAVE HAD very persistent fungus killing bacteria/other fungus/who knows what trash repeated attempts to establish beds) It's here in this monster thread somewhere actually. 

If nothing else a few of those clean colonized chips are great for starting an nice new little bin. Put a dozen of those chips in a wetted paper egg carton inside a filter patch bag and let it go for two weeks......woodies are easily isolated away by NEW chips/papers/lignin rich materials...experiment with cardboard, fuel pellets, woody plant stalks, grasses, and etc.....

post-113856-0-58631900-1590423445.jpg

Here a single lone chip from a "dead" bed.......on "eggar" which is wet paper pulp packing material like egg cartons (not the foam ones) See that pink in the upper right corner.....contamination on "eggar". A knife will remove that and if it spreads a new piece of "eggar" will be prepared and the culture transferred to it.....all open air work in fact...

post-113856-0-79467400-1590423446.jpg

And here another, different "dead" bed that had more chips for resurrection....soils and all.....naturescapes that no one wants in their yards looking like this...hahaha

But the Dirtmaker LOVES it.....

To treat old chips, soak them for a couple of days and then let drip dry for a day or even two (idea being to actually cause "things" to germinate and grow) , THEN pasteurize for three to four hours (hopefully killing many things that started to grow)and see how that goes. Even "new" chips might need treatment like that. The smoker chips are definitely some of the best for making spawn, but I pasteurize everything that I'm not sterilizing and I don't use bleach.....

No...you are not lost friend.....you're in good shape and the only thing that changes is time frames......take a pair of long tweezers or forceps and gently pick the infected chips out and give them back to mother nature...preferably away from your mushrooms. The garden is a good spot for them though.....

It's a good day for woodlovers....keep going man!

A

Attached Thumbnails

• small_GEDC7110.jpg
  • small_GEDC7119.jpg

• Needles, Rac3k, UnHeisenbug and 1 other like this

#3700 Rac3k

Rac3k

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 88 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 May 2020 - 01:05 PM

Thank you for the nice reply!

Was actually thinking that cyan mycelium could win the fight, but I saw many chips starting to mold, will try to pick'em up

I have another spawn of popcorn and also agar so I dont need to save this one. 

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!