• Please log in to reply
3816 replies to this topic

#3741 Mycol

Mycol

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 102 posts

Posted 13 June 2020 - 03:22 PM

I’ve got some almost 2 month old cyan working it’s way across some agar . Can I just soak some wood chips, shavings or twigs- PC and then transfer to agar to let them colonize ? Then transfer those

I’ve seen rotted maple mentioned Here a few times I think ? Japanese knotweed too, I think I’ve got some near me .
I have lots of oak around here .

I’ve read a couple dozen pages of this log and hope to get all caught up one day .
  • Arathu and UnHeisenbug like this

#3742 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,215 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 June 2020 - 06:40 AM

I’ve got some almost 2 month old cyan working it’s way across some agar . Can I just soak some wood chips, shavings or twigs- PC and then transfer to agar to let them colonize ? Then transfer those

I’ve seen rotted maple mentioned Here a few times I think ? Japanese knotweed too, I think I’ve got some near me .
I have lots of oak around here .

I’ve read a couple dozen pages of this log and hope to get all caught up one day .

Indeed you can....I've placed small woody materials right on top of colonized agar in jars and on plates and expanded that way. MAKE SURE you don't suffocate or drench down the fungus on the agar. Agar to paper egg cartons works well too and once the fungus has jumped to the paper you can make chip spawn that way too....repeatedly in fact. If you're working with a "sterile" culture on agar then I recommend sterilizing (and using aseptic technique) the subs you add to them until fungi has jumped to the wood aggressively. Once it's on wood substrates pasteurization of new chips for expansion is all you need. paper egg carton in the bottom of a plastic shoe or pencil box makes a great environment for doing just like you're saying.....

Rotted maple absolutely, woody stems, mulch, various sawdust's, smoker and grilling wood chips, home made wood chips, grasses and weeds (cyan went stupid in thick grass root matting that was still growing), bundle flower, Japanese knotweed, and........ I'm sure MANY more......I saw some the other day eating a piece of 2X4 lumber......that's not bullshit either......

Get them soaked to a nice field capacity. I experiment with the wood I/you want to use and test how long to drip dry them in an old pillow case before spawning) The idea is get them good and wet and then let it sit for a day or so so "things" start growing THEN pasteurize to kill them, drip dry to a nice moisture level and inoculate with spawn (tubs or beds or flower pots.....whatever you're going to use)

It's a HUGE thread.....I have to go back from time to time and see everything that's here.....I'm thinking about writing a book....

A

Edited by Arathu, 14 June 2020 - 06:44 AM.

• Jrotten, YoshiTrainer and Mycol like this

#3743 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,215 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 June 2020 - 08:07 PM

post-113856-0-47761700-1592441795.jpg

.....................................ten days.................................

Added some MG 8-7-6 water to the eggar so now it has ferts.....

Nutrient eggar......

post-113856-0-01470100-1592442158.jpg

Now that's some solid mycelium right there...turning the paper into fungus....

A

Attached Thumbnails

• small_ten_day_growth_ferts.jpg
  • small_ten_day_growth_ferts_001.jpg

• Skywatcher, Needles, Jrotten and 3 others like this

#3744 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 584 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 June 2020 - 09:52 PM

So very cool to see the long ropes and that it made the jump to chips alresdy!
  • Arathu likes this

#3745 Ferather

Ferather

Mycological

• Free Member
  • 1,471 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 June 2020 - 01:29 PM

Top untreated bottom treated? Regardless its making the growth on the wood look silly.

• Arathu likes this

#3746 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,215 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 June 2020 - 07:08 PM

The left small picture is untreated and the right picture, lower is a zoom of the right pic, is ten days later with 12 drops of MG added 1 week ago....

Two layers of paper/pulp are making an old chip sandwich of high humidity and food.... the center chip is a revived solid mycelium now colonizing the paper and new wood ....

It can be seen that the mycelium on the top layer is penetrated through from the other side and it's actively jumping into the wood on top now.....

Mycelium growth had seemed to slow down and the paper was appearing to have started drying some....added fert water with hypodermic needle........

Looks well again and has expanded and consolidated in an interesting fugal mass.......it's damned sure ALIVE.......LOVES paper and now fert....

A

Edited by Arathu, 18 June 2020 - 07:21 PM.

#3747 Ferather

Ferather

Mycological

• Free Member
  • 1,471 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 June 2020 - 10:00 AM

I've tried many substrates, the best all include paper pellets and enrichment (doesn't have enough in the substrate, example nitrogen).

----

Wood: Hard to penetrate, full of inhibitory phenols-other, has a low pH (acidic), missing various essential nutrients.

Paper: Easy to penetrate, phenols-other removed, has a neutral to alkaline pH, missing various nutrients.

The open structure and higher pH of the paper improves decay rate, and growth.

----

Mycelium also utilize calcium, in enzymes and in waste removal, as well as various other uses.

Here I put a 2 year old spent colony sample in calcium carbonate water.

After 2-3 days the mycelium expelled waste, and re-grew.

028875290-IMG_20170323_170035.jpg 028874982-IMG_20170323_165910.jpg 028874682-IMG_20170323_165905.jpg

----

Cubensis Cambodia growing on calcium carbonate chunks:

996534653-Cubensis-CaCO3-4.jpg 996535791-Cubensis-CaCO3-7.jpg

Chunks to unmodified paper pellets (not enriched):

996536199-Cubensis-CaCO3-8.jpg 996536294-Cubensis-CaCO3-9.jpg

Note: Mild bruising.

Edited by Ferather, 19 June 2020 - 10:25 AM.

• Arathu, UnHeisenbug and YoshiTrainer like this

#3748 Ferather

Ferather

Mycological

• Free Member
  • 1,471 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 June 2020 - 09:26 AM

Calcium carbonate (CaCO3).

Links: Calcium carbonate (insoluble), Calcium bicarbonate (soluble).

Tip: If you are enriching, wood ash may overdose certain nutrients (see here), however it has a high pH.

"As the crop progresses and more insoluble calcium oxalate is formed a counter effect is taking place. The reserve of calcium carbonate is highly insoluble so its slow to react to oxalate. This is a hindrance to the mycelium function – chemistry comes to the rescue! As carbon dioxide streams through the casing from the compost 'mycelial' catabolism a reaction occurs with the excess of chalk. Equilibrium develops between the CO2 and calcium carbonate where a significant percentage is converted into soluble calcium bicarbonate. This solubility makes the conversion into insoluble calcium oxalate much easier for the mycelium."

"During cropping the metabolic activity of the crop produces oxalic acid as an end product. The mycelium can only dump this acid waste product in the presence of calcium and at a preferred pH above 7. As the crop progresses to second and third flushes more of the calcium carbonate is converted into soluble bicarbonate and then highly insoluble calcium oxalate. At this point the mycelium is stressed to find available calcium carbonate, hence the need for a calcium reserve (At least 10% of the casing by weight)."

----

In addition:

Lime bathing straw at a high pH will kill alkaline intolerant, and calcium intolerant organisms.
The end pH of straw after a 'proper' lime bath will be in the region of pH 8.0-8.5.

Manure.gif

Edited by Ferather, 20 June 2020 - 09:57 AM.

• YoshiTrainer likes this

#3749 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 584 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 June 2020 - 03:51 PM

Out of curiosity, would using a product like 'Chicken Crumble' as a nutrient source be worthwhile or at least not detrimental? It contains calcium carbonate among other additives.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20200606_171909-1.jpg

#3750 Ferather

Ferather

Mycological

• Free Member
  • 1,471 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 June 2020 - 05:45 PM

You can use that, but you will need to sterilize it due to the added bacteria (bacillus).

I've tried a similar product, just pasteurizing, and got bacteria.

#3751 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 584 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 June 2020 - 04:19 PM

Thank you Feather for the response.

#3752 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,215 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 June 2020 - 04:53 PM

At this rate it is going to be ready to expand further very soon.......

post-113856-0-57433900-1593294453.jpg

So that's an additional ten days from the last shots.......

post-113856-0-75484100-1593294471.jpg

I think it likes fertilizer.......

A

Attached Thumbnails

• small_GEDC7595.jpg
  • small_GEDC7581.jpg

• Skywatcher, Needles, Ferather and 1 other like this

#3753 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,215 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 June 2020 - 08:22 PM

post-113856-0-96877100-1593307247.jpg

Summer surprise......

:meditate:

A

Attached Thumbnails

• small_GEDC7574.jpg

• Skywatcher, Needles and YoshiTrainer like this

#3754 Ferather

Ferather

Mycological

• Free Member
  • 1,471 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 June 2020 - 04:29 PM

@Arathu (yesterdays images).

Very nice, I can see it's ignoring the wood, and instead preferring the high pH paper, for reasons already mentioned.

Now you know why I suggest paper pellets and enrichment, and not solid wood and rhizo's.

Note: Try to avoid brown card, sometimes its made with resins-chemicals.

:thumbs_up:

Edited by Ferather, 28 June 2020 - 04:31 PM.

• Arathu, YoshiTrainer and Mycol like this

#3755 Ferather

Ferather

Mycological

• Free Member
  • 1,471 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 July 2020 - 10:42 AM

[Exports from another forum I am on]

====

The lignin-degradative system appears after cessation of primary growth and can be induced by nitrogen starvation.

====

Site member said:
White rot = lignin decomposers, IIRC.

--

The lignin part should be dropped, its a phenolic compound. Lignin makes people think its the only phenolic mycelium decay, or exists.
White-rot fungi decay "phenols", when people say they decay "lignin", its too narrow, as there are many.

====

Site member said:
So which mushrooms are white rot? All of them have white mycelium right? At least the one I've seen so far, maybe not some molds etc.

--

White-rot, as I said, is where the mycelium decays the phenols in wood, more than cellulose. The phenols give the wood its dark, brown colour.
As the phenols decay, the mycelium absorb it and convert it into various materials-other, this bleaches the wood.

The images I provided is actually Cubensis Burma, on T-Gel, black tea phenols (no sugars).

--

206026103-IMG_20190308_154712.jpg 206026103-IMG_20190308_155214.jpg

• Jrotten likes this

#3756 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,215 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 July 2020 - 10:49 PM

You could always make yourself a woodlover tub....perhaps they will come visit you...let mother nature bring your pins on......

In the right season for your species of choice....

Grow the woodlover of your choice on a block of enriched (wheat bran works well) sawdust and wood chips....

(most of my ideas come from reading Stamets books on mushroom cultivation)

Plant the block in a most sawdust/soil/compost substrate.....

Case, keep moist, and well shaded....never soaking wet.....

Something like this..... (SLIDESHOW)

post-113856-0-43147500-1594523433.gif

post-113856-0-98394100-1594524274.jpg

Moss growing in a flat tote on a very thin layer of moistened potting soil....it definitely LOVES this environment..

Observe nature and copy her....it's one way to do it....

:meditate:

...A...

Attached Thumbnails

• woodlover_tub_block_spawn.gif
  • small_GEDC7817.jpg

Edited by Arathu, 11 July 2020 - 11:36 PM.

• Rac3k and YoshiTrainer like this

#3757 UnHeisenbug

UnHeisenbug

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 99 posts

Posted 12 July 2020 - 08:14 AM

Note: Try to avoid brown card, sometimes its made with resins-chemicals.

:

Which ones are these? I read anything that has contained food or has glossy print on it is a no go?

Am I alright using the plethora of Amazon boxes I have?

Thanks for the brain food, Ferather!

#3758 Ferather

Ferather

Mycological

• Free Member
  • 1,471 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 July 2020 - 09:58 AM

It varies, some cheap to produce card will likely have cheap chemicals in it, that being said, most card is non-toxic these days.
The glossy card, is probably also non-toxic, but may contain larger amounts of heavy metals.

If it's biodegradable it should be ok, the ink should be plant based.

• UnHeisenbug likes this

#3759 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 584 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 July 2020 - 02:43 PM

Great presentation Arathu, thank you for taking the time to make it, very helpful!
  • Arathu likes this

#3760 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 584 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 July 2020 - 05:50 PM

Do you remember how long it took to colonize you block of sub?
  • Arathu likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!