• Please log in to reply
4076 replies to this topic

#4041 Jrotten

Jrotten

Amateurish

• Gold VIP
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 20 February 2021 - 10:05 PM

My Subaeruginosa print failed to germinate two times on two different recipes so far. I always feel like I’m confusing people by calling them “subs” but I’m not sure me trying to spell that would make it any more clear! I was being lazy. I can’t quote for some reason, but I was responding to Coastal above me.

#4042 coAsTal

coAsTal

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 253 posts

Posted 20 February 2021 - 10:29 PM

I was just thinking/checking that maybe they're more prone to ageing out quickly or something-- but like I said, the ones I have are pretty recent so it's strange that they're being so stubborn.

I typically use a hobby knife blade point (or fine tip tweezers) to scrape a dot of spores off of a print and place it onto the agar in a couple spots. Perhaps I will switch to a swab for these to spread out the spores over more surface or something... but honestly I don't see any reason this method would be "better" than what I normally do.

So weird...

• Mycol likes this

#4043 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,968 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 February 2021 - 10:34 PM

I just went through the exact same thing with "subs" :biggrin:. Yeah it's frustrating! I waited and waited...nothing. Started thinking it was my agar set-up. I will say that I have had good success with starting other woodlover on good ole fashioned BRF PF in small jars... 

You will get it ,  I have no doubt! ...and when you do share it with us here.

Edited by hyphaenation, 20 February 2021 - 10:39 PM.

• coAsTal likes this

#4044 coAsTal

coAsTal

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 253 posts

Posted 20 February 2021 - 10:49 PM

I'm happy to hear that it's not just me :)

I've used LME, and LME+Soy Peptone so far to no avail.... but now you have me thinking I might give Brown Rice Agar a shot next batch, just for the giggles :tongue:

I also have dextrose and I've toyed with making a mega-nute agar with it and the LME combined for a couple of my really stubborn cases... 

#4045 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,536 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 February 2021 - 10:49 PM

For shits and giggles make a batch of your agar and use a hickory chip tea for the water and try that....just to see....

A

• hyphaenation likes this

#4046 coAsTal

coAsTal

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 253 posts

Posted 20 February 2021 - 11:20 PM

I have alder and oak on-hand-- do you think that would work instead?

#4047 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,536 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 February 2021 - 11:39 PM

Yep...wood teas......you never know until you add it. I use wood teas to make my agar.....

A

Edited by Arathu, 21 February 2021 - 12:00 AM.

• Jrotten and coAsTal like this

#4048 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,968 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 February 2021 - 11:47 PM

This seems applicable...  in a Jedi kind of way

post-104353-0-36963200-1613882839.png

Attached Thumbnails

• Screenshot from 2021-02-20 20-44-54.png

Edited by hyphaenation, 20 February 2021 - 11:47 PM.

• Arathu, Jrotten and coAsTal like this

#4049 coAsTal

coAsTal

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 253 posts

Posted 21 February 2021 - 09:18 AM

:ohmy:

OK, OK-- to whichever one of you voo-doo sorcerers did it-- thank you.

My sub print is showing germination this morning!!!

Now-- can you sprinkle some of your wood fairy dust on my Allenii and Ovoids too?????

:cool:

• Arathu likes this

#4050 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,536 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 February 2021 - 09:56 AM

^^^^^^^^^^ Because it is applicable.....and it works like a charm.....because it's the truth^^^^^^^^^

Good link Hyph.....WayLit is mandatory reading for woodlover students....

IMHO and IME......Just as note to oneself, opening up jar's, bags, or whatever of spawn with sporulating molds (if you see green, black, or other colors I'm pretty sure it's sporulating) will of course contaminate your grow area.... go outside with it if possible.

But with a woodlover, in fact many other species, once a healthy myclelial mass is formed it's pretty resilient and making transfers outdoors is a reliable way of doing things...

Fungi, of course, don't like the sunshine or drying wind but dumping out a jar of popcorn onto newspaper and grabbing up the "clean" kernels is definitely an option.

If one finds need to go this route I say make quick work of it by having the transfer container ready to go and be deliberate about it. Long lab tweezers are quite handy for this task, glove up and wear a mask...

I've germinated spores on grains, WBS, rye, pop corn, and as shown above on various saw-dusts and pithy stems and even eggar but by far agar is still my first choice for this work....a simple hardwood tea and brown rice flour agar works although I've moved on to various other recipes. Isolation by transfer allows us to produce very reliable cultures and thus spawn. Personally I'll be ordering more glass pitri's and sterilization tubes for the foreseeable future....there's enough plastic in our environment now that we've permanently altered the Mouldes and till with micro plastic beads. Jelly jars and no-pour tek works quite well too...

So a baseline recipe goes something like:

500 ml H2O (hardwood tea(s) (I use spring, pond, or rain water)

12g agar powder

12g malt extract

1g ?

1g ?

Additives of various kinds are fully pulverized using a mortar and pestle and used in 1g increments. Yes I weigh everything. All combined in a 1000ml screw top vented flask and placed on a heated magnetic stirrer for 15 to 20 minutes then sterilized in the PC for 25 minutes. Let the beast cool in front of the flow-hood, open in the clean air stream and return to the mag stirrer, pour plates when the agar reaches 50c......(a temperature controlled water bath for the magnetic stirrer is definitely on my shopping list as is a temperature controlled incubator) I want to be able to get my glass up to 50c before I pour so the delta-T between the agar and the pitris is minimal else condensation is horrible.  

There are many ways to accomplish the tasks at hand and as always nature shows us that none of it is necessary.....it is definitely worth observing, studying, and applying the natural native conditions when possible. 

A

• Needles, Mycol and rockyfungus like this

#4051 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,536 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 February 2021 - 09:57 AM

:ohmy:

OK, OK-- to whichever one of you voo-doo sorcerers did it-- thank you.

My sub print is showing germination this morning!!!

Now-- can you sprinkle some of your wood fairy dust on my Allenii and Ovoids too?????

:cool:

Indeed...... The fungi and the dwarves have accounts here and they SEE.......

A

• Mycol likes this

#4052 LoneRanger

LoneRanger

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 February 2021 - 11:22 AM

Well, shoot. I just lost a huge reply to Arathu and Hyph. Thank you both for the help! 

I thought there was a message about my post being auto-saved. Is there a way to retrieve that? I can't seem to find anything.

I've worked with Allenii in the past, but I was just winging it. I had some amazing success and some complete failures lol. I'm looking forward to learning more about the "how and why." There's such a rewarding feeling when Fall rolls in and you get fruits. 

Another thing I didn't think too much about until last night, is the fact my spawn is colonizing in the shed outside where temps have been dipping into the high 30's. That'll slow things down a bit lol!

• Arathu likes this

#4053 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,968 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 February 2021 - 04:52 PM

The Clone-Ranger.... :chucks:
^^^ nickname for yah

I'm looking forward to learning more about the "how and why."

Us too ...

Edited by hyphaenation, 21 February 2021 - 04:58 PM.

• LoneRanger likes this

#4054 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,536 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 February 2021 - 07:20 PM

The Clone-Ranger.... :chucks:
^^^ nickname for yah

I'm looking forward to learning more about the "how and why."

Us too ...

For sure....

• LoneRanger likes this

#4055 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 651 posts

Posted 22 February 2021 - 07:31 PM

Do tell....... how sterile is it? I'm definitely interested....

A

So the cardboard spawn is bacterial/slimey, can't get a clear picture. Plenty of myc to grab if I cared about it. Myc is exploring the coir from cardboard, but not sure if there's enough nutes for it.

cardagar.JPG

cardspawn.JPG

Edited by rockyfungus, 22 February 2021 - 07:35 PM.

• Arathu likes this

#4056 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,536 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 February 2021 - 07:44 PM

Yep....taking transfers off of cardboard to agar has worked out very similar for me....you can isolate sometimes but the juice is generally not worth the squeeze......

I was waiting to see your results.......hahahahaha......good to know though....I've tried a few times...

Cardboard to wood chips is a completely different story but the bacterial load is reality.....

Excellent!

A

• rockyfungus likes this

#4057 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 651 posts

Posted 22 February 2021 - 08:45 PM

I tried and I knew the answer as well. Just wanted to try something from a book with odd procedures. Excited for the spring experiments with qts of sporewater.

Anyone know if aromatic plants is a bad idea. Sage, lavender, mint, etc...

#4058 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,968 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 February 2021 - 11:08 PM

Anyone know if aromatic plants is a bad idea. Sage, lavender, mint, etc...

Not to be cliche ... but

There is only ONE true way to find out,,,  I will say I have tried Garlic stalks which grow mycelium amazingly well.

Edited by hyphaenation, 22 February 2021 - 11:09 PM.

• Mycol likes this

#4059 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 820 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 February 2021 - 01:44 AM

I had Allenii, Suba, Ovoid, Papuana and Serbica all sprout on straight MEA. I also now use sawdust soak water with bits of sawdust in my agar. Sometimes I'll make it for specific woodlover's taste, straight hardwood, hard/softwood or pine heavy.

You might try adding Ag charcoal in your soak water, 1g per 500ml?
  • Arathu likes this

#4060 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 651 posts

Posted 23 February 2021 - 09:12 AM

Spores of Ovoids, Cyans, Allenii were put to my normal agar recipe this morning.
Thanks for the prints!

• Mycol likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!