4151 replies to this topic

#4121 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,671 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 March 2021 - 08:18 AM

Cool looking stuff Jr, I don't know about the slurry without nutes but I think sawdust spawn stuffed into hollow logs should work well......

small_GEDC9874.jpg

Rye berries infected with ovoid, cased with top soil scraped off of the surface of large rocks and the moss too......running in the dirt.....

A little experiment......

A

• ElPirana, Mycol, rockyfungus and 1 other like this

#4122 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 915 posts

Posted 27 March 2021 - 08:57 AM

Is Ovoid more tomentose on agar compared to how freaking rhizo cyans are?

edit: Those grains are similar in appearance to my thick cottony growth. 

Edited by rockyfungus, 27 March 2021 - 10:07 AM.

#4123 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,671 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 March 2021 - 09:29 AM

One might hypothesize that and test it I suppose, right.......how many variables are there?

Questions that generate more questions than they answer.....there's a lot of substrates and strains...IMHO

A

• rockyfungus likes this

#4124 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 915 posts

Posted 27 March 2021 - 10:04 AM

Yeah after I posted that and looked through all my non-rhizo cyans I felt dumb. 

It's just so damn fluffy and was a battle to get there, guess to grain it goes!

Liking these dual containers for comparing vigor of cultures, Cyans

cyansandwhich.JPG

Ovoid in question (bad photo, but representative of my view in...better for cultures you know well)

ovoid.JPG

Edited by rockyfungus, 27 March 2021 - 10:05 AM.

• Sidestreet, Arathu, ElPirana and 2 others like this

#4125 Jrotten

Jrotten

Amateurish

• Gold VIP
  • 1,424 posts

Posted 27 March 2021 - 09:14 PM

No I haven’t. But I have gyms and Allenii and I think I could use that to noc up some logs and try to fruit them next year. I think logs would be pretty easy?

Edited by Jrotten, 27 March 2021 - 09:17 PM.

#4126 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,671 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 March 2021 - 09:26 AM

No I haven’t. But I have gyms and Allenii and I think I could use that to noc up some logs and try to fruit them next year. I think logs would be pretty easy?

Moisture content is for the most part the "tricky" thing to pull off and bark retention (keeping the skin on the log) is definitely part of it. I'm only experienced with less than a dozen bigger logs myself so I'm definitely a log culture NOOB.... 

I really need to make the effort and go cut a nice pile for myself. Logs can be inoculated several ways but drilling and using dowel/plug spawn or the sawdust spawn is the method most used. One thing to be mindful of is the possibility (probability) that another fungi is already having at your log(s). Especially if they are hollow. That's not necessarily a game killer as I see ovoid tear the hell out of "rotted" maple but something to be aware of, then again it always is in fact. 

Once a log is really being colonized, I keep them off of the ground and "isolated" until I'm satisfied, then partially burying them in soil would be good next move. I'll have a dozen more edibles "logs" going into soil this year with, hopefully, many more to follow. I would like to see what cyan or ovoid delivered via plugs do to a large piece of maple or other solid fresh (is cut from a standing tree and seasoned for six months to a year) log. Of course we are talking about cultures that take year(s) to show fruits. Needles and I call them "old man logs".......

A

• YoshiTrainer, rockyfungus and Auhron like this

#4127 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,671 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 April 2021 - 06:00 AM

post-113856-0-52012500-1617274496.jpg

post-113856-0-35261400-1617274634.jpg

Wonder what happens when those rhizomes reach the oxygen........

A

Attached Thumbnails

• small_GEDC9973.jpg
  • small_GEDC9966.jpg

• Skywatcher, ElPirana, Moonless and 6 others like this

#4128 coAsTal

coAsTal

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 352 posts

Posted 01 April 2021 - 12:52 PM

I love how that jar looks with the green on top Arathu!

Here's my Ps. Cyan shoebox-- still moving fast.

PsCyanBox4_1.jpg

There's already a bit of mycelium that's even made it to the surface inside-- my lord this life wants to grow!

• Arathu, Skywatcher, ElPirana and 4 others like this

#4129 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Walk's between...

• 7,696 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 April 2021 - 04:56 PM

I just popped in for a peek, so I apologize for not knowing the layer contents in those jars Arathu. Aesthetically those are beautiful !

Looks like its fascinating to watch those lovely white threads spread............

More fun than an ant farm !

• Arathu, Moonless, YoshiTrainer and 1 other like this

#4130 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,671 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 April 2021 - 05:32 PM

---Moss---

---Top soil---

---Rye grain---

Keep moss green......

:meditate:

A

Edited by Arathu, 01 April 2021 - 05:32 PM.

• Skywatcher, Moonless, YoshiTrainer and 2 others like this

#4131 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,671 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 April 2021 - 09:24 AM

That is not mycelium, oh it's still there but the white in the soil is mostly frost and ice and this thing is frozen (22F) this morning....and yet it lives, NAY, thrives.....

post-113856-0-80134900-1617371165.jpg

post-113856-0-52046800-1617371635.jpg

Frozen....literally, and the moss is nice and green and seems to like it, the mycelium is apparently no less active......Moisture level is obvious...is it making it's own heat? Is it changing pH? Does it really need "heat"? If life is based upon water and it freezes at 32F (we know that point can be moved) how is it that the fungus cells are not ruptured? I could go on and on....

A good scientific inquiry, at least a personal intellectual one, that generates way more questions than answers......for me anyway...

I can write a story-line where Arathu the child keeps asking Jörð, Gaia.......why?.... Why?....How?....Why?  She smiles and makes it snow....and still the robins sing, the sap flows and it is SPRING...

Obviously a very different organism with different boundaries and limitations than the one asking these questions.....22F and rocking.......awesome!

Everything MEANS something in the big picture......there is not a single meaningless oscillation, vibration, movement, in the universe, they are one and the same things.....

Make good dirt and teach your kids how to grow food and medicine (or learn these things for yourself and then pass them along).....some of them will even be grateful for it.....

As always.....nothing more than the old wizard's blathering opinions......

FROZEN SOLID.....

...... :meditate:......

...A...

Attached Thumbnails

• small_GEDC9990.jpg
  • frozen_zoom_001.jpg

• ElPirana, makinbones69, YoshiTrainer and 2 others like this

#4132 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 915 posts

Posted 02 April 2021 - 07:28 PM

That's some frosty looking myc! I'm assuming myc just forms micortubule upon microtubule and has a nice external barrier to the moisture/cold. It just needs that miniscule amount "living" internally to grow and assimilate. 

Just last week I was digging in my frozen outdoor beds that are gourmet (woodlovers). Grain->Enriched Sawdust->hay/cardboard layers. They formed clumps and kinda sheets of myc between my initial bed and all the real wood tricks I learned here. Now we got naturscapes/random sticks being run from those initial "clumps" 

Little experiment with more naturscapes and now a dirty dirty SAB...Ovoids with terrible Pseudomonas from a T1, few Cyans with Hyphs expansion. My favorite, lions mane with that contrast. 

SAB.JPG woodies.JPG

Edited by rockyfungus, 02 April 2021 - 07:29 PM.

• Arathu, makinbones69 and YoshiTrainer like this

#4133 Ferather

Ferather

Mycological

• Free Member
  • 1,480 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 April 2021 - 05:45 PM

Got a 3 year old Azures colony to play with, been in the fridge all this time, very slowly colonizing.

• Arathu, UnHeisenbug, YoshiTrainer and 1 other like this

#4134 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,671 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 April 2021 - 07:45 AM

Got a 3 year old Azures colony to play with, been in the fridge all this time, very slowly colonizing.

What up dude.... :biggrin: ...

Getting them to fruit........IS the challenge......

A

#4135 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,671 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 April 2021 - 11:41 AM

An amazing organism....actually bunches of them....

post-113856-0-69705500-1617554161.jpg

Playing well together making dirt.....amazing work, frozen and thawed by Mom....

A

Attached Thumbnails

• frozen_thaw_001_GEDC0025.jpg

• Skywatcher, ElPirana, UnHeisenbug and 3 others like this

#4136 UnHeisenbug

UnHeisenbug

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 106 posts

Posted 07 April 2021 - 05:41 PM

I got an Azzies print coming in the mail. I’m looking forward to studying this species too.

#4137 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,671 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 April 2021 - 05:57 PM

Can't wait to see.......woodies rule.....

A

#4138 Mycol

Mycol

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 182 posts

Posted 08 April 2021 - 01:36 PM

I transferred the cyans on hickory to some naturescapes mulch with a cardboard liner that I’d poured a ton of boiling water on, covered and let go,overnight . Let it dry out a few hours and mixed with the chips . It’s been about a month and no cobweb so I’m feeling pretty good.

I just saw a blunder of mine though, I saw where you guys are peeling the cardboard apart and taking the inner corrugated piece out and using that as your liner. Makes more sense than the whole piece .

I might Soak up some more and make that change .

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

Edited by Mycol, 08 April 2021 - 01:36 PM.

• Arathu, ElPirana, UnHeisenbug and 3 others like this

#4139 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 894 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 April 2021 - 12:33 PM

I told these ovoids, no more food 'til I get at least one mushroom!

......I think I heard them call me 'Seymour'?!

Attached Thumbnails

• 20210406_105835-1.jpg

• Coopdog, Arathu, Skywatcher and 3 others like this

#4140 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,671 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 April 2021 - 07:48 AM

Yoshi that's BEAUTIFUL.....I would get a thin layer of bagged garden soil casing that about an inch deep and pay attention as it WILL run into that other container.....

(Or did it already colonize a casing?) Looks like it's going to explode!

Very nice work!

A

Edited by Arathu, 10 April 2021 - 07:50 AM.

• YoshiTrainer, Mycol and LoneRanger like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!