4211 replies to this topic

#4161 ElPirana

ElPirana

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 935 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 April 2021 - 09:44 AM

I love seeing the progress on this jar Arathu!
  • Arathu likes this

#4162 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 22 April 2021 - 11:16 AM

Debated where to post this, but I'm treating it like a woodlover for now. For awhile I've known I need to set up a better labeling system and today it bit me in the ass...

I've been labeling Panaelous Cyan variation wild coast (PC WC) and Psilocybe Cyan (PC)...So I treated my dungloving PC WC to some wood instead of supplemented substrate...Well can't tell if it's overlaying or actually consuming the wood...It's a fine grit wood but none the less didn't expect it to overtake the wood at such a fast rate. Has the classic tomentose/marshmallow growth I associate with panaelolus. Psilocybe seems to be way more rhizo/ropey. 

Anyway's here the photos sorry about the dyed lids. PC (psilocybe) on left and PC WC (Panaelous) on right

PCvsPC.JPG

• Arathu, ElPirana, makinbones69 and 2 others like this

#4163 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,904 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 April 2021 - 10:33 AM

https://mycotopia.ne...a/#entry1483023

I have  a good amount of Ps. Cyanescens mycelium on rye grain. I was hoping to get a bed started this spring, but I think it's getting rather late. Should I sterilize, or pasteurize some hardwood to get it to grow onto wood? If all goes well, I'll probably just continue expansion on wood until next spring, when I put a bed outside. Does this sound like a good plan? All suggestions greatly appreciated.

IMHO it's never too late to create a bed outdoors somewhere as long as ones expectations are tempered. A carefully chosen spot, sheltered from both sunshine and wind that remains damp works like a charm..... Pasteurized wood chips and woody debris work well and your paths forward with a "good" amount of spawn are possibly multiple. Cyan is aggressive with a wide palate for foods, and also quite forgiving. Getting chip spawn going before making beds definitely helps reduce digging and disturbance of beds by the grain eating rodents and other critters. The less grain in a bed the better IME.... Birds will also tear up a bed digging after insects.....some things to keep in mind.....

They will overwinter just fine with proper care too.....mulching is your friend in this endeavor.......

• phlegmbae and YoshiTrainer like this

#4164 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,904 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 April 2021 - 07:53 AM

I think it's just going to eat the jar and all....... :biggrin:

small_GEDC0929.jpg

small_GEDC0935.jpg

small_GEDC0939.jpg

Fungus amongus....

A

• Sidestreet, phlegmbae, Skywatcher and 5 others like this

#4165 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,904 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 May 2021 - 07:38 AM

post-113856-0-43031800-1619958873.jpg

post-113856-0-07589700-1619958983.jpg

If it were able to eat the glass and plastic......I bet it would......

Knots would be cool to see on the rhizomes.........

Ant farms.....meh......grow fungus....

A

Attached Thumbnails

• small_GEDC1137.jpg
  • small_GEDC1132.jpg

• Sidestreet, phlegmbae, Skywatcher and 4 others like this

#4166 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,904 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 May 2021 - 05:10 AM

post-113856-0-68657700-1620036520.jpg

Rhizomes........

A

Attached Thumbnails

• small_GEDC1111.jpg

• Sidestreet, phlegmbae, Skywatcher and 6 others like this

#4167 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 1,201 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 May 2021 - 04:53 PM

So, moving forward with these tubs, Allenii, Ovoideocystidiata and Serbica, should I use a serrated bread knife to cut off the section that has grain from spawn in it? Maybe just put it as is in its new home and start slowly covering it with compost, straw and bark? Maybe lay some larger pieces of wood on top to jump to? Patches in the ground would be tough for me so eventually, I think I'd like 15gallon pots of mushy goodness. If they'd cohabitate with my large potted plants, then even better!

Attached Thumbnails

• 20210506_142303-1.jpg
  • 20210506_142309-1.jpg

Edited by YoshiTrainer, 06 May 2021 - 04:54 PM.

• Arathu, ElPirana and rockyfungus like this

#4168 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,904 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 May 2021 - 09:10 PM

If you're going to large pots anyway, transfer the entire thing and expand some. You could easily build a well draining bed from soil and add new foods, put the fungus right on the dirt and bury with more, case with Naturescapes and keep damp...

That ovoid I would make sure got hardwood chips and windfall branches broken up, new wood soaked for a day and well drained, mixed with soil and made the same as above but a casing of cut grass with shredded hardwood mulch mixed in .....also kept damp....

Not sure of the particulars but the serbica looks to grow from fallen timber/branches and etc.....same thing, bed built of soils with some food materials mixed in kept damp....

They look mature Yoshi.....

A

• YoshiTrainer and rockyfungus like this

#4169 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 1,201 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 May 2021 - 09:53 PM

Thank you for the great advice Arathu!
  • Arathu and drmcnasty like this

#4170 smellitstinknot

smellitstinknot

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 79 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 May 2021 - 04:32 AM

Love the moss covered jars Arathu! I did this a couple years ago with P.subaeruginosa. Ate through the soil and moss in a hurry but never fruited and after sitting for months it eventually succumbed to trichoderma.

30318326967_9d04f1354b_c.jpg

45657377412_37715d83c6_c.jpg

I did have more success with Psilocybe alutacea cased with moss. Not a woodlover but perhaps a good example of what can be expected from a moss cased substrate

45052630984_1e0b60d21a_c.jpg

44940633685_e206464015_c.jpg

46123446751_9316f67e5c_c.jpg

• Arathu, Skywatcher, bezevo and 4 others like this

#4171 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,904 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 May 2021 - 05:16 AM

There you go man! Those are beautiful......It truly is a path of learning to understand, communicate if we dare, with these organisms......

Figuring out what they want/need to fruit can be challenging indeed.....very nice work!

Something makes them decide to fruit, but they, the fungi, do have multiple strategies for reproduction and survival.....

Keepers of the sacred medicines......indeed!

A

• smellitstinknot and YoshiTrainer like this

#4172 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 07 May 2021 - 12:08 PM

P. cyan beds were a little more work then I expected. Got into the 70's by 9am and we're expecting rain and snow in a day! I think they can take it.
My soil is very compact, clay heavy and crappy overall. Decided to dig near a lilac. Shade heavy and has a fair amount of fallen leaves and twigs. The soil was really nice comparatively for my lot, but I added some hay and vermiculite just to be safe.

hole.JPG

on the left side is my wood box that was labeled PC WC (used for my pan cyan dung lovers...), it took so well to wood and quickly, but it has the classic copelandia/pan cyan look....decided to chuck it in to see if I mislabeled stoned.

PC.JPG

Here's my various projects. Agar with naturscapes added directly, agar with grain/wood mix, grain with dirt/wood, and my weird marshmellow wrong pan cyan (?)

finished.JPG

Bed is:
Naturscapes random snapable twigs

dirt/hay/vermiculite

spawn

dirt/hay/vermiculite

brick with drain holes and passages so myc can explore outside the box, top of a mound

Edited by rockyfungus, 07 May 2021 - 12:10 PM.

• Arathu, bezevo, ElPirana and 2 others like this

#4173 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 1,201 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 May 2021 - 12:18 PM

As always Stinknot, bee-a-yoo-T-full!!!

Looking good Rocky!

#4174 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,904 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 May 2021 - 06:46 AM

brick with drain holes and passages so myc can explore outside the box, top of a mound

I can assure you the mycelium will penetrate completely through the bricks, over them, around them, and in between them..... and run out into the world as it chooses.....

Slow drip irrigation tubes or even old towels wicking water from a reservoir can help to keep the bed damp/moist........CONSISTENT watering is a must...do not let the bed(s) dry out...

Many of these wood-loving fungi absolutely LOVE terracotta pots, with mixes just like you describe, too.....very versatile organisms and yet they can be quite picky when it comes to fruiting......

A

• Skywatcher and rockyfungus like this

#4175 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,904 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 May 2021 - 11:35 AM

1/4 inch hardware cloth painted black and placed on top of that bed will go a long way in keeping critters from digging.....

A gap of several inches between the barrier and the top of the mulching will stop almost all insect eating birds as well.......

Fermenting grain in the ground IS another rodent's seed stash....mouse and rat traps make quick work of it (make sure you wire them to something solid and DON'T forget they are there)

Insects WILL move into the beds and share in the bounty for certain......

Salt and sand are the slugs and snails bane......trick is to keep the salt OFF the fungus, water rolls downhill with the g vector.....

So said a FOAF......... hahaha Woodlovers RULE..........

A

Edited by Arathu, 08 May 2021 - 11:38 AM.

• bezevo, OldBear, ElPirana and 2 others like this

#4176 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,904 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 May 2021 - 06:19 PM

Will it knot.......

small_GEDC1208.jpg

small_GEDC1227.jpg

small_GEDC1239.jpg

Will it may......

A

• Skywatcher, bezevo, ElPirana and 4 others like this

#4177 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 09 May 2021 - 06:25 AM

A, are those jars kept outside and set up to try and induce fruiting in a jar?

• Arathu likes this

#4178 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,904 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 May 2021 - 07:14 AM

Indeed that is the thought rocky.......since mid February in fact.......

The fungus does not seem to care about being "frozen" or winter (it is native here)..... Seems quite happy actually...

The lid is on the jar just loosely, sitting on top to keep the rain out......

I'm thinking there should be high C02 in the bottom and a lovely O2 up top....almost like Mother makes.....

If this works I'll publish the woodie in a jar TEK......I'd like to see our "tropical" brothers and sisters with some woodie jars......

I'm thinking that a filter patch bag could function in a similar manner and might even be easier to give "winter" conditions to......

Ovoids seem to fruit on the cold -> warm transition of the soil itself.... cyans the opposite warm -> colder (freezing seems to shut the wavy fruiting down)........

Unknown if the photo period affects it, I'm thinking bacteria in the soils probably play a role as well.....(speculations of course)

Freezing is bad news for either of their fruits, ovoid or cyan......needs far more study to be definitive....any grad students out there???

Both fruit on the respective seasonal transitions for sure..........

A

Edited by Arathu, 09 May 2021 - 07:44 AM.

• Skywatcher, OldBear, UnHeisenbug and 3 others like this

#4179 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Walk's between...

• 7,904 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 May 2021 - 09:06 AM

These jars are so interesting, and awesomely beautiful Arathu.

I am expecting to see a ladder shaped rhizome chain going over the edge to the ground any day now.....

Those little alien faces looking for an escape route.

Jokes aside, this has to be the coolest experimental environment set up, showing a micro slice of mothers living kitchen....

Observation seems to have taught the "dirtmaker" quite well....................

I am really hoping you get at least one jar to fruit !

• Arathu likes this

#4180 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 15 May 2021 - 11:08 AM

Here's some PC on master's mix. Really slow growth but it'll get there.

PC master's mix.JPG

• Arathu, ElPirana and YoshiTrainer like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!