#401 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,977 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 October 2014 - 04:51 PM

Not in every instance, but I do like to soak the egg carton in just freshly boiled water for at least an hour, just to be safe and hedge against contams. Its so easy to do. With woodlovers like oysters and cyanescens its not mandatory, especially if you are using the egg carton outside as soon as its ready. If your building spawn indoors then it can be beneficial to heat-treat the Eggar.

Edited by hyphaenation, 09 October 2014 - 04:57 PM.

• Heirloom likes this

#402 Luckyloser

Luckyloser

fiction poster

• Expired Member
  • 715 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 06:02 PM

I like what I I've been reading guys. Don't know if I will be able to try this with fruits this year or not. Very intriguing.

I ended up casing my Frisco shoe boxes with some woody soil and some wheat grass seeds to help with humidity.20141009_175514.jpg
  • Arathu, TurkeyRanch, Heirloom and 1 other like this

#403 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,977 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 October 2014 - 06:38 PM

Awesome stuff Arathu... Can't wait to see some updates. Lucky, good luck with the allenii. I was thinking that besides making spawn, these egg carton cells could possibly be fruited by adding chips/sawsust/potting soil etc (whatever your mix) and then fruited in a cold basement over winter. You could fruit the egg cartons in tubs. Woodlovers don't need much headroom.
  • Arathu likes this

#404 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,977 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 October 2014 - 07:33 PM

King stropheria from the garden that I cut the stem-butts into chunks and placed on egg carton cells inside a pp5 food container. When it gets going I will place soaked chips and/or sawdust in the container. Last picture two closeups of cyans pins on eggar.

After-thought: I've always been intrigued by the idea of isolating a strand of ropey rhizo mycelium and running with that and checking for speed and fruiting power. I even tried it before but got bunged up by a vacation and cold winter temps. With these cyans and looking at the last two pics, the way the mycelium reaches out in a radius, with what look like arms and some have hands with long fingers. I am pondering what it would be like to scalpel an out-board/end of the hyphae section like you see in those pics and transfer that to agar/eggar and run with it.

It reminds me of sectoring in agar the way it radiates mycelium.

Any thoughts welcome.

Attached Thumbnails

• post-104353-0-67378800-1412901206.jpg
  • close3.jpg
  • close2.jpg

Edited by hyphaenation, 09 October 2014 - 07:59 PM.

• Arathu, TurkeyRanch and wharfrat like this

#405 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,689 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 October 2014 - 07:56 PM

Excellent! Makes me think spores will probably take off in this manner as well. We shall see.............. :cool:

#406 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,977 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 October 2014 - 08:03 PM

Excellent! Makes me think spores will probably take off in this manner as well. We shall see.............. :cool:

Thought of that as well... bear in mind that the egg carton can be soaked in things as well and blended. Lots of possibilities. Wouldn't that be a real hum-dinger if you could take woodlover spore prints on dry egg carton , store, and soak to germinate ... then expand. We must experiment this winter! (At least winters coming on where I am)

• Arathu, TurkeyRanch and Heirloom like this

#407 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,977 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 October 2014 - 08:14 PM

Here's a pic of what I meant by isolating the end tip of the mycelium radius's.

Attached Thumbnails

• close31.jpg

• Arathu and TurkeyRanch like this

#408 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,689 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 October 2014 - 03:51 PM

Oh yeah...............it's about to happen actually, the experiments that is. I'm all about heading for simplicity and to me taking a spore print directly on the germinating and also spawn run expanding medium has to be the ultimate. Check this stuff out. This is a waste product used as a packing material. It is definitely a paper based material. It appears as though it might be recycled cardboard that is finely chopped or ground and then made into a lignin slurry that is poured into molds. (a guess on my part) Regardless stem buts, spores, and other clone materials are about to make test runs to see if they like this stuff.  

GEDC8705.JPG    GEDC8706.JPG    GEDC8707.JPG

Bulk wood based packing materials for rolls of polymer stock

GEDC8708.JPG    GEDC8714.JPG

Each piece is six inches wide and forty two inches long

GEDC8720.JPG    GEDC8723.JPG

Cut into sections and fully colonized each could be filled with a desired mix of lignin/soil and then stacked as shown

A layered bed could easily be created in this manner especially if spores will germinate directly on them.

This might get really interesting............... :biggrin:  It already is to me.

• Sidestreet, TurkeyRanch, Heirloom and 1 other like this

#409 Viridis420

Viridis420

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 214 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 October 2014 - 04:31 PM

Great idea Arathu. Stacking lignin rich carton substrates seems like it should work. I haven't any fruits just yet but heavy rhizo growth upon close inspection. Looks like a cold front is coming and hopefully that initiates fruiting conditions. Keeping fingers crossed

• Arathu likes this

#410 Heirloom

Heirloom

Quantum Particle

• OG VIP
  • 4,631 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 October 2014 - 06:00 PM

I just had to say I got 2 jars with p. azures on rye the third jar was oats not showing yet.

Nocced up 4 jars today, 2 using egg carton cardboard and 1 with brown corrugated and 1 with ground paper.

Lots of good info in this thread.

• Arathu likes this

#411 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,977 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 October 2014 - 08:15 PM

I made an outside bed of allenii about 1.5 months ago. I used a similar layering technique as you are talking about Arathu. In this case I laid wet cardboard lengths down in a slightly sunken area and patted it down. On top of that I sprinkled wbs spawn with colonized allenii. Next I sprinkled a mixture of soaked homemade woodchips and the same woodchips run through the leaf shredder which makes it into sawdust. Then thin layer of potting soil. More wet cardboard and repeat with the top patted down and 1/4 - 1/2 inch layer of moist potting soil. On top of that for mulch I used really long grass cut and laid out over the bed.

Here's a pic of the bed with the grass pulled back.

post-104353-0-57803600-1412990106_thumb.

This is one of the cardboard layers.

post-104353-0-68927400-1412990123_thumb.

And the same piece flipped so you can see under it.

post-104353-0-51360000-1412990147_thumb.

That's on a edge bit of cardboard. I know there's even thicker mycelium growth in the middle parts, but I don't want to go digging around disturbing the bed to get better pictures.

The allenii has already colonized the majority of the bed and even is coming through the surface. I am surprised with the speed and keep checking just in case it actually fruits this year. The layers of cardboard act as a mycelium super-highway and moisture sponge.

I used the tiniest amount of spawn to layer into the bed (less then a half pint) and the growth was amazing. In the future I'll try and go grain-free and use colonized sawdust/chips/knotweed  to mass-spawn new beds. It is looking promising for multi-layering paper-based byproducts like cardboard etc. One thing though that I have noticed is cardboard is quite bad to have on the top layer as mulch , because it very often prevents moisture from going into the bed when its dry and hot. Inside a bed with proper mulch it seems pretty amazing.

Trying these layerings in tubs would also be interesting. Cause tubs are like portable beds that you can have outside but then move to a greenhouse or cold basement for a fruiting season (europe & north america) September till ... who knows maybe all dang winter.

PS: Awesome heirloom !

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20141010_152300.jpg
  • IMG_20141010_152239.jpg
  • IMG_20141010_152318.jpg

Edited by hyphaenation, 10 October 2014 - 08:27 PM.

• Arathu, TurkeyRanch and wharfrat like this

#412 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,689 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 October 2014 - 07:05 PM

At 48 hours there is nowhere near the rhizomes you got hyphae BUT...........every piece being used as spawn shows growth and there is definitely indication of exploration threads reaching out to the egg carton all ready. Got spores out on tests now too.......Once these woodlovers take off in a medium they are voracious and I like how each has it's own distinct smell. That's a really nice bed there man. It looks like the woods and when it looks like that they grow and fruit. 

There's something about the outside we can only observe in awe............

GEDC8760.JPG

GEDC8731.JPG

.........and learn to play along..............

#413 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,977 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 October 2014 - 07:53 PM

Cool, cool. Might have had something to do with the fact in that case I used whole pins that were struggling in the dark invitro so they really wanted to grow + as they were aborting they were getting slightly fuzzy already in parts. Anyhow, yours will come along I'm sure.

The stropheria cut chunks colonized fast... but not every conrainer went fast. I did used to place stems in a small baggy that was closed for 12-24 hours and it always 'fluffed up with airy mycelium. Might be something to try. That was with cubes.

Keep us posted.

Edited by hyphaenation, 11 October 2014 - 07:55 PM.

#414 Luckyloser

Luckyloser

fiction poster

• Expired Member
  • 715 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 10:45 AM

The 2 tubs I have were made in a similar fashion. The bottom is soaked corrugated cardboard, spawn, soaked naturescapes, spawn, naturscapes. 1 tubs spawn was oats (same as the oat grass that's growing on top), the other was a mix of woodchips from the grilling section, a small amount of dirt ,and rye grass seed mixed up in qt jars to colonize.

These tubs have colonized all summer in the basement. Befor moving outdoors I cased with cheap woody soil from the dollar store and planted the oat grass in the top. I also punched holes in the bottom since I have started soaking once a week.

Today while cutting the grass I noticed the leaves on the ground and decided to crumble leaves and allow them to fall between the blades of grass....it's got a much more woody feel to it...1413128574466.jpg

There is 3 layers of spawn per tub

Edited by Luckyloser, 12 October 2014 - 10:46 AM.

• Arathu and Viridis420 like this

#415 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,689 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 October 2014 - 07:18 PM

72 hours looks pretty good though..........

GEDC8803.JPG

...small pieces cut from a colonized bundleflower stem and a rope of mycelium.......rhizome explosions. On soaked egg carton in a poly vented ziplock bag, 62 F in the dark.

Edited by Arathu, 12 October 2014 - 08:06 PM.

• Luckyloser likes this

#416 Tripp

Tripp

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 890 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 06:16 AM

I found these in a garden...

Pretty sure some alenii have made an appearance, just wanting to check though! And of course to share :)

What an exciting time of year!

DSCN2703.JPG

DSCN2696.JPG

DSCN2701.JPG

#417 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,689 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 October 2014 - 05:35 PM

Tripp I'm not familiar with them so the best I can do is say follow the standard ID procedures. 

Here is an aggressive mycelium.........

GEDC8834.JPG   GEDC8835.JPG   GEDC8833.JPG

Ovoid clearly likes wet paper egg cartons......................

#418 moricz

moricz

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 113 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 07:27 AM

I'm not an expert, but the stem is confusing me ? :\  Spore Print them, and are they blueing?

The ones in the middle pic probably some psylocibe kind.

Peace

Edited by moricz, 15 October 2014 - 07:28 AM.

#419 Tripp

Tripp

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 890 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 08:02 AM

Arathu - Nice myc there! Yes, I have been through the usual IDing process, can't quite seem to nail these though. Could be some kind of variation from environment here in the UK or something... I'll keep trying :)

moricz - Yes, same here! The middle pic I'm sure is what I think, lots of blueing. However the furthest right on the middle pic didn't blue at all and the other three larger ones didn't either! Spores are purpley as expected. Caps have gone very very light now they've dried out a lot.

• Arathu likes this

#420 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,689 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 October 2014 - 05:05 PM

7 days on egg carton

GEDC8913.JPG

GEDC8905.JPG

:chucks: