• Please log in to reply
4218 replies to this topic

#4201 phlegmbae

phlegmbae

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 345 posts

Posted 09 August 2021 - 11:56 AM

I'm working on some Wavy Cap secondary wood chip spawn. Would it be beneficial to refrigerate it?

It's not quite fully colonized yet. I'd say about half way. It has lept from the grain to the wood chips for sure though. It seems a bit dry. I'm not seeing any rhizomes. Should I break the seal on the pleated filter bag and water? Or wait until it's fully colonized, and fuzzy first?

It sure doesn't seem like it's moving very fast at basement temps, 65-70°. It's been going since April. Up until a few days ago, I thought it was dead for sure. My 2 other bags look like they've succumbed to some sort of brown rot. That's why I'm asking about refrigeration.

• YoshiTrainer likes this

#4202 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 10 August 2021 - 07:19 AM

Not much experience here, but Arathu can probably set you straight.

I've had PC/PO colonizing wood in my basement with an average of 55-65F. I actually did agar directly to wood and it jumped off stupid quick, within a few months it was obviously rhizo and exploring. I let it completely colonize some woodchips for roughly 6 months then just added a ton more new wood and it's already almost through all my wood in less then a month again.

I believe they are tenacious, aggressive, and don't need grain, they want wood and that seems to be all I need to get crazy rhizos, no fruits, but even my outdoor patch is doing great with just random wood bits, soil, little bit of grass seed.

A good culture should just go nuts when it gets to wood, may be able to spritz it a bit if it is truly dry. I don't think wood contams easily, woodies get that weirded out by exposure. Be as sterile as you can, glove up, SAB up, sterilize water/syringe etc...I actually went above FC on my woodies and never had issues, but that's my climate and I know I can be super "wet" compared to average climates. 

Edited by rockyfungus, 10 August 2021 - 07:19 AM.

• Arathu likes this

#4203 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,950 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 August 2021 - 06:25 PM

Woodies that stall seem to react well to "re-potting"........in other words open them up and get air to them. Remove the wood that did not colonize and use what has colonized to create a sheet of mycelium on wetted cardboard with new fresh soaked and pasteurized chips. I don't water colonizing chips directly, if necessary they get re hydrated by new wet chips added next to them as follows.

In a shallow Sterilite put the cardboard in lining the bottom, pour boiling water onto the cardboard and let soak for 5 to 10 minutes, and then drip drain well by tipping the container up, COOL, and then add your saved spawn chips, add fresh chips in between and put the lid on, stick it back in the cool damp, make sure it can breathe fairly well....don't want cobweb.

Cobweb (and green most times) can be combated however......

At worst "contaminated" chips respond well to soils, new woody materials, and outside....make a bed in a tub/flat/shoe-box or the ground itself, cover with a layer of cut weeds, and set outside in a safe protected place to heal and colonize....let mother nature induce your first fruiting and then it's on...

A healthy woodlover is going to attack with aggressive vigor, once established they are tenacious.....

A   

• rockyfungus likes this

#4204 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 10 August 2021 - 08:28 PM

A good culture should just go nuts when it gets to wood, may be able to spritz it a bit if it is truly dry. I don't think wood contams easily, woodies get that weirded out by exposure. Be as sterile as you can, glove up, SAB up, sterilize water/syringe etc...I actually went above FC on my woodies and never had issues, but that's my climate and I know I can be super "wet" compared to average climates. 

LOL, don't type on the come up of a Pan trip...I tend to go over field capacity from my boil as everything dries out here. Woodies will out grow contams when transfered to new substrate as Arathu said. Wow, no clue what I was trying to say about exposure. I believe I was trying to say they will out compete, or you can just separate out the obvious good wood/grain and transfer to fresh substrate. 

https://mycotopia.ne...10#entry1489275

That was 1 month ago, put most of it in my patch and kept one little layer of colonized wood in my takeout containers, that freshly boiled wood was added too.

Fast as hell!
PC

PCtop.JPG

Can't see in from top from cyclic nature of condensation/basement.

PC.JPG

But sides give a decent clear view

PO

PO.JPG

POside.JPG

topPO.JPG

As you can see I'm well above field capacity, without noticeable issues.

Edited by rockyfungus, 10 August 2021 - 08:30 PM.

• Arathu, ElPirana and MushLuvR like this

#4205 phlegmbae

phlegmbae

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 345 posts

Posted 11 August 2021 - 10:20 AM

Thanks for the information. But does Cyanescens mycelium benefit from refrigeration?

• Arathu likes this

#4206 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,950 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 August 2021 - 07:28 PM

I'm working on some Wavy Cap secondary wood chip spawn. Would it be beneficial to refrigerate it?

Secondary woodchip spawn should be developing vigorously at room/basement temperatures....so I don't think putting your culture into refrigeration will be of great help growing (if that's what you mean by beneficial)....IMHO.....Is it still expanding into the substrate?

I don't think it benefits from refrigeration directly, even though it seems to love cooler to cold temperatures (just grows slower), as much as lower temperatures tend to tame back some competitors while the cyanescens tends to keep right on growing with a certain vigor (again slowed)......other woodies too....

For cyan the transition to fall weather is the trigger to fruiting however so refrigeration may be a method of inducing fruiting...outdoors works like a charm most places...I suspect light and and other things are also at play such as the transition from warm dry conditions to cool/cold wet conditions, photo period change too...

Clean spawn and substrates (which is surely a symbiotically compatible, at least benign, community of organisms), cyanescens grain into hardwood chips, chip to chip as well, grows very vigorously at warmer temperatures (so do other organisms) and slows down as it gets colder, but stays healthy and continues to colonize the the entire substrate.....

Since I don't know what characteristics and genetics you're working with I'll show this......hungry woodie aggression at 75F...... re-hydrated and re-invigorated using new soaked and pasteurized hickory chips.

post-113856-0-54215500-1628727235.jpg

A

Attached Thumbnails

• compare_small_GEDC1940.jpg

• phlegmbae, Salty117, smellitstinknot and 3 others like this

#4207 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 11 August 2021 - 09:45 PM

Refrigeration is for people trying to fruit indoors. 

• phlegmbae and MushLuvR like this

#4208 newmoon

newmoon

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 377 posts

Posted 12 August 2021 - 07:21 PM

I finally have a stable place to start some woodchip beds. This is allenii, going to do subaeruginosa and cyanescens beds later in the week. It's about a 7' square patch, and I inoculated mixed woodchips and compost with six colonized mycobags of wood shavings. It's too late for this year, but hopefully it's a start for future years.

bed.jpg spawn.jpg done.jpg

• phlegmbae, Arathu, bezevo and 4 others like this

#4209 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,950 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 August 2021 - 07:59 PM

Good vibes to the new beds........   :meditate: 

It's always cool to see some fruits later down the road...

You'll like subs and cyans......

A

• newmoon and MushLuvR like this

#4210 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,950 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 August 2021 - 09:53 AM

Layers just like the riparian does......

small_GEDC2159.jpg

small_GEDC2179.jpg

small_GEDC2189.jpg

This is just about set for a mulch and potting soil casing.....

Even the small amount of green mold on the chips, shit is everywhere, will most likely just disappear....

...surely just from view...

...outside...

IN THE DIRT.....

A

• Skywatcher, bezevo, YoshiTrainer and 2 others like this

#4211 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 29 August 2021 - 12:27 PM

What kinda wood is that? Digging the thickness of the cut. Do you have finer particles intermingled? 

Boiling some wood plotting my new patches with all I've learned from the 8-10 beds I've been micromanaging. Had a pile of "browns" with a bit of woody greens that I've been turning and throwing a ton of cyan and ovooid agar into. Not to colonize but maybe to get some enzymatic changes going. Going to mix that "browner" compost with some real compost and a ton of random woods in a nice shaded/overgrown spot. Cubes are loving where the god damn bindweed is. Maybe I won't fight them and use their prolific coverage...

https://en.wikipedia.../Convolvulaceae

Edited by rockyfungus, 29 August 2021 - 12:30 PM.

• Arathu likes this

#4212 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,950 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 August 2021 - 12:52 PM

Chunks of hickory "grilling" chips from your home-mart....soaked for 72 hours and then pasteurized for as long time as you can take doing it (3 hours absolute minimum, much longer preferably).....seriously

Drip drained and cooled in a covered strainer.....then put down as a layer right on top of colonized dead grass on soil....nothing but prepared hickory wood chunks

Think of the layers of soil and organic debris deposited along a stream that floods....

A

• YoshiTrainer and MushLuvR like this

#4213 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 16 September 2021 - 10:55 AM

This takeout lid sucks and it dried out. Boiled some naturscapes for maybe 20ish minutes. Cooled, shook dry and sprinkled wood on top. Fast recover 3days later.
natur.JPG
My cubes just started popping (50's-80's...), so woodies are a few months behind?

Edit: yeah picture taken with lid off, doubt they care.

double edit: might be drying out already LOL

Edited by rockyfungus, 16 September 2021 - 10:56 AM.

• Arathu, Skywatcher, bezevo and 2 others like this

#4214 Jrotten

Jrotten

Amateurish

• Gold VIP
  • 1,489 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 September 2021 - 09:39 AM

I had some jars (still have some jars) of Allenii and Gym Purp that found their way into a new bed of mulch a few months ago despite crazy hot summers. I’m not sure how it’s going, but when I water the mulch I do get a nice shrooms smell. Well today is the first “cool” by our standards morning of the year. It’s still warm enough to fruit cubes outside if that tells you anything, BUT I can smell whatever the slugs haven’t eaten.

Maybe I see some fruits this winter or maybe I just have the satisfaction of knowing we all tried. Probably time to figure out what to do with the other jars.
  • Arathu, bezevo, YoshiTrainer and 2 others like this

#4215 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 28 September 2021 - 03:10 AM

PC.JPG PO.JPG

cyans and ovoids looking good so transferred a colonized chip of each to a plate.

Is it ok to add these to beds I started in spring? I don't see why not.

• YoshiTrainer and MushLuvR like this

#4216 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,950 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 September 2021 - 05:17 PM

Those chips need to colonize longer from what I can see....mycelium should grow thick on the substrate if it's happy....

Let both of those trays colonize heavy and then put the mass in a hole in the ground/tub/whatever and loosely fill in around it with potting soil, WELL drained....light topping layer around 1/2 inch....keep moist...

Well colonized wood in moist soil = woodlovers

A

• rockyfungus likes this

#4217 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 28 September 2021 - 09:38 PM

Can't seem to keep humidity up making the chips seem to stall. Could add fresh chips and maybe move to shoeboxes.

#4218 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 02 October 2021 - 11:51 AM

Those chips need to colonize longer from what I can see....mycelium should grow thick on the substrate if it's happy....

Let both of those trays colonize heavy and then put the mass in a hole in the ground/tub/whatever and loosely fill in around it with potting soil, WELL drained....light topping layer around 1/2 inch....keep moist...

Well colonized wood in moist soil = woodlovers

A

You of course have way more experience then me, but my current patches were started from similar "spawn". These are from the spring and they just started exploring from the cold rains! 
ovo.JPG

That patch is bacterial ovoids and seems like getting to dirt and fresh air made them explode. Cleaned as much bact. on agar as I could. Then went to grains that fully colonized but had signs of bact. Grain and chips back to agar still show heavy bacterial loads. But these dudes are TOUGH! 

My cyans patch is hard to navigate from holly's, but I see rhizos! 

Is it ok to mix my new spawn into my old patches? (If I remember which is which...)

• Arathu and bezevo like this

#4219 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,950 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 October 2021 - 05:02 PM

I don't tend to add new spawn to old beds just the chips for food.....if were going to I'd be keeping the spawn as one mass and adding it to one end of a patch.....

Woodies are definitely tough once they are tearing into WOOD.....for sure...

A

• rockyfungus likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!