4492 replies to this topic

#4321 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 7,431 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 December 2021 - 09:25 PM

Now there are some pretty interesting mycelial structures involved, apparently, when eating oak 4X4's.....

post-113856-0-30447600-1640744254.jpg

Playing in the dirt...

A

Attached Thumbnails

• ovoid_eats_oak.jpg

• YoshiTrainer, rockyfungus and MushLuvR like this

#4322 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,347 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 December 2021 - 08:45 AM

Made of money eating 4x4s! Those woodies eat better then a lot of us.  :dry:

woodcomp.JPG

Here's my experiments on pure soft wood, hardwood, and a 50/50 mix of SW & HW.

Not a huge difference actually in speed. Guess I'll compare yields on oysters.

• Arathu and MushLuvR like this

#4323 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 7,431 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 December 2021 - 12:15 PM

Not hardly.....your big old corporate machine spits out wastes that may be gathered for completely free.....some will PAY YOU to remove it....... :tongue:  So there!

If it weren't for the heavy metals used in colored inks on packaging one could easily become buried in colonized ground cardboard(s) and papers (but it can still be done with more work and attention to details)

I get to use their machinery to load it, large amounts if I want, on my truck and......then I burn oak, maple, and others in my fire pit....the mushrooms are in a compost heap where I threw away "spoiled" experimental blocks of hardwood waste....(it gets burned in a huge pile otherwise)

Money is quite the fickle bed-mate.....and wood is absolutely free .....in abundance......gotta know where to look.....

Making dirt is absolutely free too....mushroom fruits are a bonus......and yet they deserve a great meal just because.....

I try to think like a fungus does.....what waste streams can I exploit????

A

• YoshiTrainer and MushLuvR like this

#4324 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,347 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 December 2021 - 01:50 PM

I'm just messing with you. You seen the price of lumber!

I exploit my waste streams as well. For me I can shred and use paper with soy based ink! 

A have you seen woodies go from rhizo to tomentose? This culture's been quite ropey and the last few transfers aren't rhizo anymore (10-11 out now)

• Arathu and MushLuvR like this

#4325 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 1,568 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 December 2021 - 04:32 PM

A have you seen woodies go from rhizo to tomentose? This culture's been quite ropey and the last few transfers aren't rhizo anymore (10-11 out now)

Maybe changing the nutritional source for your agar might help? If you're running MEA, maybe run a batch of PDA? I know some woodies like brown rice soak water added to their MEA.

Edited by YoshiTrainer, 30 December 2021 - 04:35 PM.

• Arathu, rockyfungus and MushLuvR like this

#4326 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,347 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 December 2021 - 08:01 PM

I just moved from wood based agar back to grain soak and everything been funky on it. Thanks for the jarring of memory.

#4327 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 7,431 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 December 2021 - 11:30 PM

I've seen woodies present in all kinds of crazy forms and transforms....as long as they are eating the wood chips I care not......

Turn it into layers and case with semi nutritious mixes.....

A

• rockyfungus and MushLuvR like this

#4328 orangutan

orangutan

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 570 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 December 2021 - 10:46 AM

I have a quart jar of WBS about 75% colonized with allenii mycelium!  I'm going to let it consolidate for a while, no rush.  What would be the best next step if I want to end up with a tote full of colonized wood chips to put in a bed outside?

first question: what ratio of colonized wbs to wood chips should I do?

second question: do I let these wood chips fully colonize and then add to more wood chips?  what ratio of colonized wood chip to fresh wood chip do I use?

• Arathu, YoshiTrainer and MushLuvR like this

#4329 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 7,431 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 December 2021 - 03:42 PM

post-33755-138195339351.jpg

First page of this insanely long thread.....this was directly informed by the Jedi Master himself......and it works like a charm.....basically the fundamental quart recipe to one bag of hardwood smoking/grilling chips.....works WELL....

Pasteurize the chips for at least three hours and much longer if you can......give them a 2 day soak in water with a dash of plant fertilizer in it.....then pasteurize.....

Drip dry completely and use a dry cardboard liner in the bottom of the shoe-box to build your layers on...the chips need to be soaked but by no means visibly wet and definitely no water pooling in the bottom of the container....

Good FAE is required making the jump from grains to wood chips......and definitely let each stage (grain, chips, more chips, and etc) colonize and consolidate very well before expanding.....

This shoe box, IME, can be considered a baseline construction technique for woodlovers in general....Some combination of the above along with soils and woods particular to species may be, and should be, substituted.....

Fertilized potting soil from the bag is a woodlovers friend.......fertilized potting soil(s) and hardwood mulches (Naturescapes and equivalent) and a very large menu of woody plants and tree's.....

They will of course let you know how they like the substrates......do feed them generously the substrates they aggressively eat....

Edited by Arathu, 31 December 2021 - 03:44 PM.

• orangutan, rockyfungus, LoneRanger and 1 other like this

#4330 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 7,431 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 January 2022 - 02:48 PM

post-113856-0-60394000-1641066267.jpg

I pray that the entire world has a WOODY 22.....

...... :meditate: ......

...~...

...~~...

...~~~...

A

Attached Thumbnails

• cycles_002_topia.jpg

• Skywatcher, orangutan, YoshiTrainer and 3 others like this

#4331 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 1,568 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 January 2022 - 04:40 PM

The first of the year brings fruit tree pruning for me which has me wondering about all the free wood that is produced. I have access to apricots, cherries, peaches, apples, pecans and lots of others. Not really logs but a few wrist dia on down in size. Any recommendations? Dry first then? Are any better or should be avoided?
  • MushLuvR likes this

#4332 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 7,431 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 January 2022 - 05:18 PM

Unfortunately it seems most of the fruit tree's should be avoided, I have not had any luck with any experiments....cherry, apple, pear......

If you have success I'd like to see it....

Maple and oak are my choice....and Naturscapes......Mulches....

A

#4333 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,347 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 January 2022 - 05:25 PM

Chery is working fine for me here, albeit gourmets. It is aged a year if that helps.

I've introduced cherry now, Nothing to report as it's under snow

Edited by rockyfungus, 08 January 2022 - 05:26 PM.

#4334 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 1,568 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 January 2022 - 04:42 AM

Well dang, not what I was hoping to hear.
  • MushLuvR likes this

#4335 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 7,431 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 January 2022 - 08:04 AM

Well dang, not what I was hoping to hear.

Chip them and compost, something from the native fungal community should decompose them anyway. I don't know what it is about fruit tree's, and walnuts too they just kill everything (not really because I see something fungal breaking down the nuts in the woods) but most of what I'm interested in it does, including my tomatoes, I think)

And then we have the "you're full of shit A" example, because I know the woodies LOVE hickory chips....has to be something like native oils or other chemistry.....IDK actually. I do know that I stopped trying to grow mushrooms on them.....

Hell maybe try a small tester or two, you can also make some wood tea MEA, MDYEA, or BRFA, and even spawn jars (grain and wood chips mixed). to train them on. I really like the latter technique as of late. Japanese Knotweed colonizes as fast grains do and breaks up fairly easily, beds/substrates made in layers with good nutritious potting soil(s) works like a charm....

When I think about it I don't know that I want a fungal species taking a shining to my fruit tree's OR my grapes for that matter. The black ants are already laying the local maples down so the supply of wood that is available for decomposition is basically (effectively anyway) unlimited here....

Woodie bag culture IS apparently a doable option as well.....(unsurprisingly showing great promise)

A

#4336 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 7,431 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 January 2022 - 02:55 PM

post-113856-0-42839100-1642016949.jpg

So.....why might we choose rhizomes on agar and then use soil(s).......

In a substrate......

A

Attached Thumbnails

• Y_use_soil_001a.jpg

• YoshiTrainer, rockyfungus, LoneRanger and 1 other like this

#4337 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,347 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 January 2022 - 03:18 PM

Outta those useless things, so I'll share.

Ps. cyans T1 gonna need a bit of work.

PScy.JPG

naturscapes/agar->softwood fuel pellets; just discoloring the wood. Went from blonde to orange. I dunno

PScysof.JPG

• MushLuvR likes this

#4338 MushLuvR

MushLuvR

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 951 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 January 2022 - 08:04 PM

Just starting to jump off to wood and it's been about 2 Days.

Rye to Alder

P1120816.JPG

P1120817.JPG

Edited by MushLuvR, 12 January 2022 - 08:05 PM.

• DocOct, YoshiTrainer, rockyfungus and 1 other like this

#4339 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 7,431 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 January 2022 - 08:06 PM

That looks like a great take-off there Mush.....starting to run...

Hah I'm long outta likes for today too...

A

Edited by Arathu, 12 January 2022 - 08:07 PM.

• MushLuvR likes this

#4340 MushLuvR

MushLuvR

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 951 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 January 2022 - 08:21 PM

I'm surprised I have any LIKES left myself.   :biggrin:

Appreciate the kind words @Arathu.... Out of my comfort zone with these Cyans, but I'll jump on in FEET First.  

MushL

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!