#4341 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,277 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 January 2022 - 07:37 PM

Wanted to hit ya guys with likes.
Just put ps. cyans to grain. Not a fan of grain outside but let's try this. 

• MushLuvR likes this

#4342 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 7,330 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 January 2022 - 08:16 PM

Set traps.......and get it deep into some woody materials too before going outside....IMHO

Not a fan of grains outside either as it, critters of course, can be troublesome....some type of isolation or protection seems required

1/4 hardware cloth (or equivalent) is a useful thing IME.....

A

• bezevo, rockyfungus and MushLuvR like this

#4343 orangutan

orangutan

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 570 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 January 2022 - 10:43 AM

Testing a a few colonized grains of allenii with a pinch of black Naturescapes mulch.  The growth is really good!  Now going to do the whole quart jar.

They say that Naturescapes mulch is made from locally sourced wood, so it could be any tree species in there.  This test culture seems to like it, whatever it is.  Here in Northern California I imagine it's either Douglas Fir or Redwood.  I can't imagine they would like Redwood, since it's known to be rot resistant.  Who knows what kind of wood this is, but they like it!  And the black color makes the pure white mycelium really stand out  :tongue:

Screen Shot 2022-01-15 at 7.36.38 AM.png

• phlegmbae, Arathu, bezevo and 2 others like this

#4344 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 7,330 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 January 2022 - 12:13 PM

Absolutely let that run it's course and really dig in, with growth like that keep it exactly as you have it until it is basically a solid mass.....then expand into the same material for the volume you want....

From that make tub/bag/bed(s) in layered fashion with other woody materials too and also with local soil mixed in ......once you see good growth then case with the same black mulch.....keep damp and well drained...

Pretty sure seasonal change makes woodies fruit when they're ready.....very nice growth orangutan....

A

• orangutan, bezevo and MushLuvR like this

#4345 orangutan

orangutan

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 570 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 January 2022 - 12:34 PM

Thank you for all your encouragement @Arathu!  I'm blown away that the best thing my allenii could be growing on is sitting in a 6$ bag at my local hardware store.  Once I get a good tub of this I might try it on some denser oak wood chips that I noticed in a pile on the side of the freeway that I see every day on my way to work.  

• bezevo and MushLuvR like this

#4346 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 7,330 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 January 2022 - 12:42 PM

If you haven't moved on that pile of chips soon then a local fungus most likely will....pasteurize wild dumped by-products of trimming and pruning for at least 4, better 6, hours before spawning to it.....

There will definitely be "things" growing in it but it is certainly a viable source.....still as you have stated, and I agree, at the end of the mulching season those bags can sometimes be had for $2.00....

At which time I usually grab several because it's great in the gardens and everywhere else too.....I cannot over emphasize the use of soils in substrates and layers.....

Good stuff brother.....I like Naturscapes......and Thanks AGAIN to WayLit..........

Good woodie vibes man........beautiful! :meditate:

A

• orangutan, bezevo and MushLuvR like this

#4347 MushLuvR

MushLuvR

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 882 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 January 2022 - 07:43 PM

@Orangutan... Nice Photo, that looks Amazing!

MushL

<Edit>  Forgot the Pic

P1120830.JPG

Edited by MushLuvR, 15 January 2022 - 10:05 PM.

• Arathu, orangutan and LoneRanger like this

#4348 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 7,330 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 January 2022 - 03:14 PM

A bag/pouch of your favorite woodie is probably worth fiddling with....

post-113856-0-35120500-1642363768.jpg

Good activity for quarantine and such.....

Shaman's woodie bag....

A

Attached Thumbnails

• small_GEDC4334_a.jpg

• orangutan, ItBeBasidia, YoshiTrainer and 2 others like this

#4349 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,277 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 January 2022 - 03:45 PM

Had some snows and then the weather has been warm. Removed all the leaf litter I had laid on my beds. Wonder if anything will fruit.

cyans

cyans.JPG

ovoids

ovo.JPG

• MushLuvR likes this

#4350 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 7,330 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 January 2022 - 07:15 PM

Would have to have sustained upper 40's to upper 50's......without freezing I believe...

A

• MushLuvR likes this

#4351 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,277 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 January 2022 - 08:33 PM

Would have to have sustained upper 40's to upper 50's......without freezing I believe...

A

Roughly where were at, probably dip again. Wonder if a "week of fruiting condition", is enough.

• MushLuvR likes this

#4352 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 7,330 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 January 2022 - 08:15 AM

IME no, a week is not enough, especially the Ps. cyan as they can be painfully slow fruiting and then growing......I'm going to have to say get more spawn made and do a layered filter patch bag or two......

A tub/tray/bag or even a large terracotta pot is probably the way to go for most folks so they are mobile....or we are at the mercy of the weather conditions....(specifically why I say to find (if possible) a local species to befriend)

They, as in the fall fruiting species, need that initial cool down from late summer into a cool/wet fall, but not TOO cold....once pinning is initiated then upper 50's and into the low 60's with plenty of moisture (and always good drainage)....

IMHO the outdoors weather conditions are used to trigger fruiting and then you'll likely need an intervention where you provide the continuing necessary conditions until fruits mature.....

(I'm sure a warmed greenhouse would prove quite useful......doesn't need to be tropical by any means but must stay above freezing..... cold = slow .....It's a relatively small window of optimization)

Away from their home territories, most any species of course, we have to help them......

At least that's my take on the situation....

A

Edited by Arathu, 18 January 2022 - 08:24 AM.

• fahtster, orangutan, ElPirana and 3 others like this

#4353 orangutan

orangutan

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 570 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 January 2022 - 11:47 AM

Allenii mycelium chomping right through the naturescapes mulch.  

Screen Shot 2022-01-21 at 8.00.52 AM.png Screen Shot 2022-01-21 at 8.01.17 AM.png

you can even see here how the mycelium is originating underneath the wood chip, growing right through it, and emerging on the top side.  Makes me think that the naturescapes mulch is soft and porous. 

Screen Shot 2022-01-21 at 8.00.08 AM.png Screen Shot 2022-01-21 at 7.59.40 AM.png

Maybe not great for long term outdoor bed substrate material, but great for quick expansion on a woody substrate.  I'm gonna keep expanding on this stuff for as much space as i have in my small home.  Then going outdoors this spring on something harder like oak chips.  What do yall think?

• phlegmbae, Arathu, YoshiTrainer and 3 others like this

#4354 MushLuvR

MushLuvR

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 882 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 January 2022 - 12:09 PM

That looks amazing with the Black Chips/Chunks and White Rhizo's.  I'll have to come back and give you a LIKE No doubt. 

I may expand with Naturescapes as well since the Alder Chips I used are smaller and now I need some bigger Pieces.  

P1130038.JPG

P1130039.JPG

10 Days... Today is Day 11 from Spawn

Edited by MushLuvR, 21 January 2022 - 12:11 PM.

• phlegmbae, Arathu, orangutan and 2 others like this

#4355 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 7,330 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 January 2022 - 04:33 PM

Good.....next add pasteurized hardwood smoking chips, hickory, and maple, and even oak....I soak mine in plant food enhanced water....and that's exactly what you want, penetration and dissolving......

You are correct and so we must FEED them.......i.e. soft stems are usually basically gone by fruiting time....but hardwood chips/branches not so much....

Diversified food sources are good.....from fine sawdust's, grasses, branches, chips..... to logs and everything in between......

Looking sweet....

A

• YoshiTrainer, LoneRanger and MushLuvR like this

#4356 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 7,330 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 January 2022 - 05:14 PM

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow.....

small_GEDC4502_a.jpg

Woodies seem to grow just fine in a filter patch bag....(not overly surprised actually)

So, @PsyBearNot......the answer to the woodie shaman pouch question is YES....

A

• orangutan, YoshiTrainer, LoneRanger and 1 other like this

#4357 orangutan

orangutan

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 570 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 January 2022 - 05:18 PM

How much plant food do I soak them in? Does this tek have a name?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • MushLuvR likes this

#4358 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 7,330 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 January 2022 - 05:44 PM

No..... not that I know of......I make a gallon jug of "plant food"....turn it dark green/blueish with a scoop or two, mix it really well, and go to soak.......24 to 48 hours fertilizer soak.....

Then pasteurize several hours in a cloth bag....drip dry overnight....

Try a small batch and see what that fungus does with a tester......try some chips without fertilizer too.....

I've experimented with large pieces of hardwood 4"X4" and logs...... several species of mushrooms now....they tear into the wood IME.....

A piece of colonized log mostly buried in the soil has to be a good thing...... :cool:

A

• orangutan and MushLuvR like this

#4359 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 1,499 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 January 2022 - 08:49 PM

Here are a few links Oragutan, with the last one, just keep scrolling down through multiple posts.

https://mycotopia.ne...86#entry1454924

https://mycotopia.ne...87#entry1455222

https://mycotopia.ne...87#entry1455340

https://mycotopia.ne...87#entry1456006
  • Arathu, orangutan and MushLuvR like this

#4360 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 7,330 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 January 2022 - 01:45 PM

post-113856-0-40230600-1642962770.jpg

I bet refrigeration/freezers,simulated winter, and spring let just about anyone do this.....

A computer/PLC controlled mini fridge (or full sized unit for that matter) is surely doable but by no means necessary IMHO.....

A crafty fungiphile could possibly do a fake/assisted winter with a cooler and ice....maturity of the fungus and "spring" makes ovoids fruit....

Just sayin....

A

Attached Thumbnails

• small_GEDC4548_a.jpg

• fahtster, phlegmbae, orangutan and 5 others like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!