4492 replies to this topic

#4461 Triscuit

Triscuit

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 May 2022 - 09:36 AM

2388.jpg
Just wanted to share this picture. I feel like this happened really quick, and one thing thats different about this container is it probably gets more fresh air than the others. It's a 1 gallon ice cream tub with the lid flipped and set on top. Also, maybe this is island effect in action? I'm still trying to make time to read more threads, I feel like I've probably missed a lot of waylit's stuff somehow. He did foil over top of containers yeah?
Also, I planted a dozen trees last week, I'm gardening like mad, and it feels great.
Cheers :3
  • Arathu, bezevo, YoshiTrainer and 1 other like this

#4462 Herenow

Herenow

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 18 posts

Posted 16 May 2022 - 07:34 PM

I'm looking for some guidance. I've tried to read through this page and I've searched things and bookmarked pages and gotten myself confused.

This is where I stand: In early February I started 11 half-pints of ovoids using the PFTek method. My spores were in syringes from a reputable supplier. Six of the half-pints took off and colonized in a month, which I then transferred to a plastic shoebox, layering the mycelium with sterilized alder chips.  This box is now fully colonized. The other five half-pints were very slow. After two months I put them into another shoebox, but this one I pasteurized. The green thing took over in two weeks. I think the difference might be attributable to the two syringes.

My question: I want to put the healthy mycelium into the ground in an outdoor patch soon. My plan is to dig a few inches past the duff, put a layer of naturescape, put a layer of mycelium, layer of naturescape, layer or mycelium, then finish with a thick layer of naturescapes. The site is in a grove of maple trees, no direct light, open understory.

Should I sterilize or pasteurize the naturescape? Should I include more solid wood chips at this stage?

Your advice and suggestions are appreciated.

• Arathu, YoshiTrainer and MushLuvR like this

#4463 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 7,431 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 May 2022 - 03:41 AM

@Herenow...IME, don't sterilize your outdoor substrates and pasteurizing only really rough and old subs. Fresh from the bag Naturescapes and smoking/grilling hardwood chips (hickory chips for certain) is a very good way to go. Ovoid are aggressive and will show you in a very short time what they like to eat. You might be amazed at what they'll consume. 

Making layered beds as you propose works well as does the "island" approach....that being a hole dug in a protected location, cardboard liner in the bottom, and then a layer of your substrate, the whole spawn cake placed in the middle and then the rest of the area filled in with more substrate all around and over it. Cardboard over the top while the bed is colonizing helps keep the moisture in and somewhat the critters out. Birds LOVE to dig your mulch for insects.....

@Triscuit.... indeed that is the idea with "island" effect and once that becomes a solid mass just set it into a a larger bed or fruit it as is. Looking good, aggressive, healthy, and rhizomy! Oh yeah......nice picture.....

@Everyone......don't be afraid to get your local and bagged soils involved in your substrates and definitely casings. Note that some folks have had trouble with local bacteria's so watch for dying and discontinue/rescue if necessary. It's a life eats life kinda world for sure....I've had very good luck with Miracle Grow potting soils...  A mixture of fertilized potting soil and Naturescapes, 2 parts mulch to 1 part soil roughly speaking, about 1 to 2 inches thick for a casing over a substrate works super. Straight Naturescapes mulch (other bagged mulches too but be careful with all of them and make sure they haven't been colonized by some other species right in the bags) Go to your local "home" store and look closely at the bagged wood products. You'll likely see what I'm talking about.

Regardless of the method moisture and watering are absolutely necessary NEVER let the substrate dry out AND good drainage is also a must. Stay wet/damp but not under water in puddles.. Keep them protected from direct sun a drying winds......part of being a Dirtmaker is being a surrogate Rainmaker as necessary. It becomes intuitive after a while of doing it. I'm really a fan of the TiT (Tray in Tub) method at this point for those that are able to use it. Triggering fruiting via mother nature changing seasons is very effective. Spring species like ovoids can be brought inside after a 30 day "winter" and given "spring" while fall species like cyans can be left out until they pin and then brought inside and fruited for 5 and even more flushes......

We got us a Woodie Earth clan.......beautiful!

Good vibes everyone....

A

• phlegmbae, bezevo, YoshiTrainer and 3 others like this

#4464 Nichrome

Nichrome

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 63 posts

Posted 22 May 2022 - 01:31 PM

Northeastern cyans happily eating maple and hickory. This was from a wild spore print I was sent from Humboldt Co, CA. Last fall of course.

cy.jpeg

Edited by Nichrome, 22 May 2022 - 01:31 PM.

• Arathu, Skywatcher, bezevo and 6 others like this

#4465 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 7,431 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 May 2022 - 04:40 PM

Beautiful wavy caps.....they are potent too.....nice work Nichrome..

A

• MushLuvR and Nichrome like this

#4466 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 7,431 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 May 2022 - 10:18 AM

post-113856-0-98591900-1653664432.jpg

Ovoid....eats damned near everything within it's reach...makes wood into dirt without fail....

All hail the dirtmakers....for they are the foundation of life here on this big blue marble....

A

Attached Thumbnails

• ovoid_001.jpg

• phlegmbae, Skywatcher, bezevo and 5 others like this

#4467 Nichrome

Nichrome

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 63 posts

Posted 27 May 2022 - 10:24 AM

Oh my my... The ovoids in my yard are a week or two away still.

This azzie patch is plenty active this year... Azzies for me have always been so unpredictable. Eating spruce here.

azspruce.jpeg

• phlegmbae, Arathu, bezevo and 4 others like this

#4468 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,347 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 May 2022 - 02:10 PM

Guessing I’m a month away on ovoids. Grass just started filling in. Finally decent cover from trees.

Had to weed oysters out of a few beds
  • Arathu and MushLuvR like this

#4469 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 7,431 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 May 2022 - 12:23 PM

Think...... what does a creek bank look like.....

post-113856-0-55158700-1653758369.jpg

How does mom do it....?

A

Attached Thumbnails

• small_100859_001.jpg

• Skywatcher, bezevo, ElPirana and 5 others like this

#4470 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 7,431 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 May 2022 - 10:00 AM

Little bit-o-creek bank........... 

post-113856-0-58725800-1653922430.jpg

... :meditate: ...

Attached Thumbnails

• little_creek_bank_002.jpg

• phlegmbae, Skywatcher, bezevo and 7 others like this

#4471 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 1,568 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 May 2022 - 02:37 PM

!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Arathu and MushLuvR like this

#4472 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 7,431 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 June 2022 - 04:47 AM

dirtmakers_001a.jpg

Little cuties.....

dirtmakers_002a.jpg

Sporulation...

A

Edited by Arathu, 04 June 2022 - 04:49 AM.

• Skywatcher, bezevo, ElPirana and 4 others like this

#4473 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 7,431 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 June 2022 - 07:05 AM

post-113856-0-58200300-1654949024.jpg

Nice little cluster of woodies......mom's medicines....

A

Attached Thumbnails

• small_ovoid_002 - Copy.jpg

• phlegmbae, Skywatcher, bezevo and 6 others like this

#4474 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 1,568 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 June 2022 - 05:05 PM

Possum decided to "spread" the mycelium for me.

Allenii

20220613_143105-1.jpg

Serbica

20220613_143053-1.jpg
  • bezevo, ElPirana, rockyfungus and 1 other like this

#4475 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 7,431 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 June 2022 - 05:59 PM

Screen covers work like a charm for that......

A

• YoshiTrainer, rockyfungus and MushLuvR like this

#4476 Nichrome

Nichrome

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 63 posts

Posted 13 June 2022 - 09:13 PM

Probably eating slugs. They eat a lot of slugs.

• Arathu, YoshiTrainer, rockyfungus and 1 other like this

#4477 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,347 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 June 2022 - 02:31 PM

2 weeks of not babying my woodies is going to be another season of no ovoids. Figured I'd come home to remnants or aborts.
But we're already burning, so missed my window. 

50F-mid 90's in a week.

Edited by rockyfungus, 17 June 2022 - 02:36 PM.

• Arathu, YoshiTrainer and MushLuvR like this

#4478 MushLuvR

MushLuvR

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 951 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 June 2022 - 03:37 PM

Bummer on the Ovoids Rocky, we've had some extreme temperature swings as well.  Not much outdoor extras for me this season either, edibles OR Actives.  Cya this FALL (Come on Cyans).... hopefully.   :meditate:

MushL

• Arathu, YoshiTrainer and rockyfungus like this

#4479 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 7,431 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 June 2022 - 06:36 PM

Get a tray started....that fits nicely into a medium depth tub....and make a TiT......you won't regret it....

Keep the outer tub misted.......vent as necessary......put in the basement....set outside for the change of seasons...

A

• YoshiTrainer, rockyfungus and MushLuvR like this

#4480 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 7,431 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 June 2022 - 08:20 PM

post-113856-0-85270200-1655514700.jpg

Significant hardwood fully colonized is what you want to strive for.....here oak soaked in plant food...

With greens piled on top of them and kept wet.....just like a creek bank...on steroids

A

Attached Thumbnails

• small_oak_001 - Copy.jpg

• Skywatcher, bezevo, ElPirana and 4 others like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!