4492 replies to this topic

#4481 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,347 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 June 2022 - 10:39 AM

A, what type of wood is that? Your woodies have expensive taste.

It's time I install irrigation. Wanted to see if the tall weeds and native grasses would form a good microclimate.

Misters and slowdrips next season.

Edited by rockyfungus, 18 June 2022 - 10:41 AM.

• Arathu, YoshiTrainer, MushLuvR and 1 other like this

#4482 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 7,431 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 June 2022 - 06:39 PM

It's oak, from clean crating and packing materials, waste cutoff....soaked in plant food water for 72 hours....

A

• rockyfungus and MushLuvR like this

#4483 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 7,431 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 June 2022 - 07:37 AM

The softer woods and stem materials, certainly the sawdust's, paper, and grains are "fast food" to these species of fungi....they tear through them and consume them very rapidly......

Which acts, as Hyphae has said in the past, as super highways for them to run throughout a bed/substrate.....the softer and more porous materials (including various soils) also act as moisture reservoirs......

As with most other substrates that I've worked with and used, keeping most of the bed "fluffy" and loosely built seems to give these guys exactly what they want....

The oak and other hardwoods are very dense, thus the meat and bones of the meal......it's plainly visible in the pic that this fungus has absolutely decided it will consume the oak.....which is very dense and heavy..

Each block weighs over a pound and they have been baked at 340 F for at least 14 hours...it's more like two lbs each BEFORE the fertilizer water soaking... 

small_oak_003 - Copy.jpg    small_oak_004 - Copy.jpg    small_oak_005 - Copy.jpg

small_oak_002 - Copy.jpg

This is clearly a type of hugelkultur.....the bottom of the "hole" is lined with cardboard....a layered bed of spawn and substrates (soft and hard) is built....in this case about 14 soaked oak blocks were added right at the "surface" but additional layers of soil, grasses, old mulch, dead/wind fall branches, debris, and etc are acting as cover....think like an overhanging creek bank...what happens there???

Layers of organic materials are added to the "top" and the entire thing is kept very well watered....drying of beds or any substrate for that matter is seriously detrimental to their health.....

In fact it's attacking everything woody within it's reach.......they almost always do and surely they run away too....not to mention the spore load that gets blown to the farthest reaches...

And it seems they will generally explore to the extents they find possible.....All they need is to have the advantage over the other organisms to start with (which is what the hired help (US HUMANS) do)...... 

How far will they run???..... I bet FAR and wide....

A

• YoshiTrainer, rockyfungus, Auhron and 1 other like this

#4484 MushLuvR

MushLuvR

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 954 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 June 2022 - 01:47 PM

P1140648.JPG

P1140649.JPG

P1140653.JPG

P1140655.JPG

P1140650.JPG

P1140651.JPG

The Last two pics Above are from some extra chips from the Bag and are straight on the ground as bordering chips(leftovers).  It isn't dugout or anything, just a thin layer on the ground, and it's extending... FAR out.  

P1140659.JPG

P1140660.JPG

CotW logs up against the fence in first pic and Cyans creeping that direction as well.  The last pic is the extras on the ground, I'm going to grab a few for a tub soon when it colonizes further.  My Cyan quart jars aren't doing anything on Nature Scapes and Rice Bran.  I'm thinking maybe I didn't shake up the syringe good enough, or not a big enough squirt, but almost 3 weeks and Nada.  Owell, plenty of chips to transfer, All for the Fun Guy Stuff.

MushL 

Edited by MushLuvR, 19 June 2022 - 01:51 PM.

• Arathu, bezevo, YoshiTrainer and 1 other like this

#4485 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 7,431 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 June 2022 - 02:40 PM

Spread the sticks out as a rafter arrangement and put a nice thick layer of chopped down green weeds and long grasses with clippings over top of the "rafters"....a thick thatched roof......

Then keep watering straight through the grass layer....you'll probably like the results of doing that IMHO.....

Pay attention for fruits poking out the "other side" of the fence.....might even eat the fence if you aren't careful....

A

Edited by Arathu, 19 June 2022 - 02:48 PM.

• YoshiTrainer, rockyfungus and MushLuvR like this

#4486 MushLuvR

MushLuvR

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 954 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 June 2022 - 02:59 PM

That's hilarious....  I was just thinking the same thing about eating my fence and the runner base board on the other side.  I like the idea of adding a "roof" sort of deal to the bed and then water that here and there. Everyone enjoys an umbrella in the HOT sun (Bed is shaded almost All Day).   :meditate:

MushL

Edited by MushLuvR, 19 June 2022 - 03:03 PM.

• Arathu, bezevo, YoshiTrainer and 1 other like this

#4487 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,347 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 June 2022 - 12:28 PM

I've made a bunch of beds now and just enjoy creating different microclimates. A brick border is nice to try and keep things stuck somewhere.

Always go in one direction with logs and bulky wood. May try some log cabins next with alternating layers. I'm digging building a pyramid of wood then filling in with spawn compost and dirt. A good sprinkling of grass. Just need some trees on my huglekultur mounds. 

My winecap beds have been digesting naturscapes, all the debris and a bit of clay. 3 years later we have black humus, so 2 strawberry companions were introduced. 

A, how far will ovoids spread. Think I found them in another bed.

cubemb.JPG

mbcube.JPG

• bezevo, YoshiTrainer, Auhron and 1 other like this

#4488 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 7,431 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 June 2022 - 06:23 PM

Are those blue? Hah....Get a spore print if you can and put them under the scope......

Can you do that rocky? Critters will carry grains off and nock up other places just by digging them up.....

They will definitely run quite the distance if the food and conditions are right....you're high country arid though right?

I do want to see some spores...at X...

A

Edited by Arathu, 20 June 2022 - 06:37 PM.

• Auhron and MushLuvR like this

#4489 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 7,431 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 June 2022 - 06:46 PM

For your reference....

post-113856-0-44349800-1655768553.jpg

P. ovoideocystidiata ........gills

A

Attached Thumbnails

• small_GEDC2081 - Copy.jpg

• YoshiTrainer, rockyfungus, Auhron and 1 other like this

#4490 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,347 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 June 2022 - 10:50 PM

High arid country, increasing watering times considerably based on cyans not having enough. I'm in no rush to get fruits, I enjoy the process of figuring things out frugally. 

Sweet that's what I needed a gill shot. Intense bluing. Some caps had that appearance of the cyans. That attachment isn't cube like and doesn't have the annulus.

So my doggo ate those and literally just came back now. She's gotten cubes before. Based on intensity and length of her trip, I think I need to find a microscope.

I can try swabbing but they were really immature. I'll watch the area and keep watering. 

Edited by rockyfungus, 20 June 2022 - 10:52 PM.

• Arathu, YoshiTrainer, Auhron and 1 other like this

#4491 Auhron

Auhron

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 337 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 June 2022 - 10:59 PM

Your pup has a taste for mushrooms?

• rockyfungus and MushLuvR like this

#4492 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,347 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 June 2022 - 11:04 PM

Your pup has a taste for mushrooms?

Started as a puppy. She finds them in the beds for me. I should chicken wire or something, but she enjoys them too...

pup.jpg
Won't touch gourmets. She's on trip 4 lol

Edited by rockyfungus, 20 June 2022 - 11:09 PM.

• Arathu, Auhron and MushLuvR like this

#4493 Auhron

Auhron

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 337 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 June 2022 - 11:10 PM

I guess she wouldn't keep eating them if she didn't.  Mine (when I had him) just played with them and always spat them out. 

• Arathu, rockyfungus and MushLuvR like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!