4168 replies to this topic

#81 psycheholic

psycheholic

S-W-I-M Team

• OG VIP
  • 2,726 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:39 PM

Well folks I am just contemplating on how I could grow woodlovers, I am in the deep south US. I was wondering if anyone has seen a woodlover grow succed in a refridgerator? I really would like to try these super potent species.

#82 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,977 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:49 PM

Well folks I am just contemplating on how I could grow woodlovers, I am in the deep south US. I was wondering if anyone has seen a woodlover grow succed in a refridgerator? I really would like to try these super potent species.

Step right this way ...

Best indoor woodlover thread bar none.

https://mycotopia.ne...ver-08-too.html

Friscosa grows even further south than the bay area , its pretty warm there by my standards , it would be a good candidate I bet. The same grower ... Mr. Myc , also grew indoor Weilli , which also grows naturally in the south.
  • psycheholic likes this

#83 aliendreamtime

aliendreamtime

Mycotopiate

• Validating
  • 386 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:04 AM

Thanks for the input guys!

I'm not currently in a station of life where I can do this, but I'm hoping next next year. I'll certainly be keeping it in mind.

#84 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,732 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:44 AM

Step right this way ...

Best indoor woodlover thread bar none.

https://mycotopia.ne...ver-08-too.html

Friscosa grows even further south than the bay area , its pretty warm there by my standards , it would be a good candidate I bet. The same grower ... Mr. Myc , also grew indoor Weilli , which also grows naturally in the south.

Indeed a bad-ass thread and well worth the read...IMHO!

#85 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,732 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:10 PM

Wow........ I was just outside visiting the main large ovoid bed as we are experiencing a midwinter thaw and I swear the vibes are really coming from this thing. The snow, better than a foot deep, is melting rapidly so it is certainly soaking the entire thing with ice cold melt water. I felt them stirring, promising, laughing at me! Hahahahahahah........I must be fucking nuts! Everything is connected to each other from the insides, it is the outer that confuses us. :meditate:

#86 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,732 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:19 PM

I really can't see any reason that it wouldn't work. I mean really bro I think probably the best way to tell is to grow a nice big cooler full mycelium just as described in the various TEK's here and give it whirl. You might be very pleasantly surprised. I can even envision an insulated pit that you dump a couple of bags of ice into every night but I don't even think that will be necessary. What are your night time temperatures right now? Mushrooms are some adaptable beings.......get it going and find out is what I say.

Good adaptation vibes coming atcha............................. :meditate:

#87 mithrandiir42

mithrandiir42

VIP Member

• OG VIP
  • 189 posts

Donator

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:56 PM

It's been a while since I posted on this thread. Well since last time I've had some unfortunate life stuff happen and I've pretty much been offline and neglecting my projects for a couple of months...

Anyway, since my last update, it turns out that my wood chips were too wet and the colonized kernels didn't fare so well. I suspected as much when I originally transferred but I rushed it.. price paid, lesson learned...Eventually they contaminated. Oh well. I'm not too upset about that... In the meantime, the jar of popcorn that I transferred from has fully colonized without a problem so I have another chance. I'm getting ready to do another transfer... this time, I'm going to try pasteurizing on my wood stove. Woodstove pasteurization for woodlovers... seems appropriate right? =)

#88 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,537 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:58 AM

gotta love that idea :)

Do you have a big thermometer?

It is a little tricky cooking on a wood stove but it can be done
A poker a flue and some wood hehe is all ya need besides the stove

Glad to see you back around :)
I love wood stoves grew up with them I have one now for supplemental heat
I cook on it sometimes but its location its just inconvenient for all the time cooking
My Grandmother cooked turkey supper on hers all the time when I was younger ;)

Edited by wildedibles, 09 January 2013 - 06:03 AM.

#89 mithrandiir42

mithrandiir42

VIP Member

• OG VIP
  • 189 posts

Donator

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:31 PM

Yep, I have a thermometer that should be suitable. I'm planning on putting 4-5 quart jars loaded with woodchips in a big pot filled with water far enough to submerge the jars about 3/4 of the way. Cover with lid and let cook around 140-160 for several hours. I'll probably have to fiddle with the placement of the pot to get the temperature just right.

We use the wood stove as our primary heat source. There's an oil boiler in the basement but oil is ridiculously expensive. On really cold days, it gets pretty cold in some parts of the house, but so far, we haven't had to resort to oil since we got the stove 2 years ago:)

Yum, turkey supper.. sounds delicious!

When I have time on the weekends I like to cook breakfast on it. It takes a lot longer to cook things on but it's an enjoyable process:)

#90 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,977 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:46 PM

You only need to heat the water on the woodstove in large pots to about 170F and dump it in a vessel with the bulk-sub material. Then an hour later add more 170 F water. This way for at least two hours it soaks at about 160 F actual temerature (you can check and adjust. A large chest cooler works perfect for this and has a drain spout , plus its insulated and retains its heat ...

Anyhow pasteurizing on the heat source is tricky , can be done though. I always heat the water on the fire in a large canning pot and dump that into a vessel.

#91 Zwapa

Zwapa

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 265 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:11 PM

Haha, just as everybody i'm busy with da woodlovers for 2013. Like to see all of the experiences combined here! Last weekend transfered some myc from the forest to some small pots with beech chips. So now waiting for multiplying magico:hugs:
Love to you all and your woodlovers !

#92 ConsciousFeeder

ConsciousFeeder

Too rich the rich king.

• Expired Member
  • 920 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:19 PM

Just got my cyanescens prints today. Been researching agar so will shift gears and research woodlovers next week when I'm recovering from getting my wisdom teeth out. SO EXCITED about woodlovers. When I first saw pictures from waylit and hyph about them I made it a goal of mine to grow them.

#93 Fulano

Fulano

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:24 PM

Hey CF! Could you point me in the way of some woodlover spores? I cant seem to find any around. Would be a big help! Thanks in advance!

#94 psycheholic

psycheholic

S-W-I-M Team

• OG VIP
  • 2,726 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:31 PM

Arathu, my temps range on some days 70-50, then some days 60-40. The saying around here goes.."If you dont like the weather now, just a couple days, it will change." I think my only hope is working with a fridge, where temps can be kept much colder and steadier. That link Hyph sent was badass, but it still wasnt a completely fridge grown thread. I dunno, I am still looking though.

#95 weiliicoyote

weiliicoyote

respect the shroom

• Expired Member
  • 228 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:54 PM

Hey CF! Could you point me in the way of some woodlover spores? I cant seem to find any around. Would be a big help! Thanks in advance!

Check the Sponsor Q&A Forum. You can order Cyan prints (Psilocybe Cyanescens) through the website

#96 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,732 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:17 PM

Arathu, my temps range on some days 70-50, then some days 60-40. The saying around here goes.."If you dont like the weather now, just a couple days, it will change." I think my only hope is working with a fridge, where temps can be kept much colder and steadier. That link Hyph sent was badass, but it still wasnt a completely fridge grown thread. I dunno, I am still looking though.

Figuring that the mycelium can be grown at "normal" room temperatures, and that the presence of soil and a cold (maybe freezing) wet period are probably necessary for fruiting then you might be pioneering that fridge part. (and I damn sure am confident in it) Still I can't see why it wouldn't work nor can I see any reason why a local population might not just "become" adapted and established there. Freeze apparently kills the tropical varieties or I would damn sure be trying to establish "wild" patches of cubensis here. It's probably worth your time to try it anyway but if it doesn't work out psilocybe weilii might be a good alternative for you. No matter I hope to have an ovoid print for you to do as you please in fairly short order........the world did not end, spring IS coming, and surely the odds of seeing fruits from four different mycelial masses of ovoids are at least fair................. one would expect anyway............ :teeth:

#97 Fulano

Fulano

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:47 PM

Thanks a lot waili!! Completely missed that sale!! Appreciate the help!

#98 ConsciousFeeder

ConsciousFeeder

Too rich the rich king.

• Expired Member
  • 920 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:02 PM

Yup Fulano weiliicoyote outlined where I located mine. I think there are a few other places to locate them too. Ralph has some friscosa's in stock last time I checked. Actually just checked and is doing a special for 4 syringes for $75 of friscosa's.

#99 Fulano

Fulano

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:08 PM

Yes they do !!! Thanks again CF!! I will wait to see if Mrs. Hippie has any left in stock, if not ralph it is!!! You guys think it's too late to start some woodlovers? Im in the northeast area. Been dying to give them a try for a while now....

#100 mandrax

mandrax

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 69 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:18 PM

@ hyphaenation- You can keep the wash water from when you pasteurize your wood chip . It can be used to make LC on its own or used to keep you project moist. Here is some I sort of neglected . As you can see there are plenty nutrients for the Mean green so the myc will grow just fine DSC02002.JPG
Have used this method a few times now and spread the LC with a water pistol on woodchip in local parks and town centres .

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC02001.jpg

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!