Uncle G

"Good Ole Uncle G"

• OG VIP
  • 3,644 posts

Donator

Posted 24 October 2012 - 03:47 PM

Just curious.

First question to teacher(s) about mesh

1. best yeast? cheapest is best for foaf, if it takes while to ferment not a problem.
2. Should ya add corn? Or just sugar, Or ???????
3. Plastic cooler make a good container for the mesh?

Made wine before and can make air trap.

About the foaf still thoughts.

Swim doesnt understand how do you tell when the poison is off. Best ways to tell? Been the biggest reason why no lightening has ever been made by her.

Any thoughts is cool.

#2 MrGumball

MrGumball

show me do it

• Expired Member
  • 2,339 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 October 2012 - 04:01 PM

Start here: http://www.howtobrew.com/intro.html It's the online version of Jim Palmer's How to Brew.

1. So many different types of yeast: ale or lager, mead, cider, wine. It really depends on what you're brewing (Beer/Wine/Cider) and what style you're shooting for.
2. Corn, depends. You can use anything that has fermentable sugars. I use dextrose (corn sugar) when bottle carbonating.
3. Plastic can and is used, but it can easily be scratched which makes it harder to fully clean. Cleanliness is paramount in brewing as it is in mycology. For larger batches I use 5 gallon "Better Bottles" and for test batches I use 1 gallon glass wine jugs.

The "poison" that you mention is not an issue in brewing as it is in distilling.

Check out Homebrewtalk.com as well - lots of good info and recipes.

#3 dead_diver

dead_diver

Stoned Since '76

• OG VIP
  • 3,532 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 October 2012 - 04:36 PM

For gods sake don't use plastic bottles for beer or wine. That's just no class at all. I like to use Grolsch wire top pint bottles for beer. They're tough and you can reuse them a lot of times before you have to worry about them bursting. Regular beer bottles are only good for a few times and they start to burst and you have to screw around with bottle caps too. If you ask around you may be able to find a bar that serves Grolsch pints and they will put some aside for you if you make it worth their while or just start drinking them, they'll pile up quick enough. The rubbers are replaceable and can be bought cheap. There are hundreds of different yeasts. With beer it depends on whether you want to do lager or ales. I like ales and they're easier to do IMHO. You can purchase yeast or you can use dregs from a bottle fermented beer. And then you have to figure out your hops. Halertau is a good ale hop and Spatz is good for pilsners and lagers. I like bitters so there is no such thing as too much hops for me. Some people use malt extract and some people go from scratch. I usually do half and half if I'm in the mood. There is nothing wrong with good malt extracts other than the fact that most beer "kits" don't use enough malt and try to bring the alc up with corn sugar. Don't use corn sugar in beer, just add more malt instead and you'll be glad you did. The main thing is to experiment and find what you like. It's hard to make an undrinkable batch of beer. If you can stomach the shit that passes for beer in the US you should be able to drink just about any mistakes you may make along the way no problem.

#4 Uncle G

Uncle G

"Good Ole Uncle G"

• OG VIP
  • 3,644 posts

Donator

Posted 24 October 2012 - 05:56 PM

The questions at hand are about distilling. Not making beer. Wine or ale. Whiskey is the goal of my swim. Told her she was nuts. However just incase of zombies. She is wants to know.

#5 MrGumball

MrGumball

show me do it

• Expired Member
  • 2,339 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 October 2012 - 06:16 PM

BB has you covered:

Making 'shine with turbo yeast and a pot still

The Banzai Institute opens a distillery

Edited by MrGumball, 24 October 2012 - 06:38 PM.
clean up url

#6 LilBear

LilBear

Producer

• Expired Member
  • 1,087 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 06:30 PM

Yeah, nothing more needs to be said haha

BB knows his way around a still ;)

#7 Uncle G

Uncle G

"Good Ole Uncle G"

• OG VIP
  • 3,644 posts

Donator

Posted 25 October 2012 - 11:16 AM

Before this thread was started. The turbo yeast seems like a good start. But bb tells when the poison stops by tempature.

#8 Uncle G

Uncle G

"Good Ole Uncle G"

• OG VIP
  • 3,644 posts

Donator

Posted 25 October 2012 - 11:36 AM

I cant see from the phone. This thread is in back to land forum. Did my dumb ass start it in the wrong forum? Or did it get moved? If I started in wrong forum please move to tripp on in. I was chatting and threading at same time yesterday. So I just notice it wasnt in the tripp on in

#9 firerat

firerat

Why am I so thirsty....

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,949 posts

Donator

Posted 25 October 2012 - 12:29 PM

I cant see from the phone. This thread is in back to land forum. Did my dumb ass start it in the wrong forum? Or did it get moved? If I started in wrong forum please move to tripp on in. I was chatting and threading at same time yesterday. So I just notice it wasnt in the tripp on in

Not sure what you did boss, but I'm on it....

#10 Uncle G

Uncle G

"Good Ole Uncle G"

• OG VIP
  • 3,644 posts

Donator

Posted 25 October 2012 - 12:36 PM

Stupid stuff.
Public service message
thanks firerat

#11 firerat

firerat

Why am I so thirsty....

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,949 posts

Donator

Posted 25 October 2012 - 01:49 PM

God damn it I really need to build my still.

I've done so much reading it's driving me bonkers.

#12 Uncle G

Uncle G

"Good Ole Uncle G"

• OG VIP
  • 3,644 posts

Donator

Posted 25 October 2012 - 02:56 PM

Swim needs copper tubing. And what yeast cobination she needs. This stuff is completcated. She doesnt want to poison anyone. She going to use one of my old pc. Cooler for the mesh. Guess going to do turbo yeast. ah just learning. Really.

#13 ALHpancyan

ALHpancyan

Prying open my 3rd eye

• Expired Member
  • 241 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:06 PM

I am just about to buy the stuff to start brewing I am super excited. Going to try and brew a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale for the first time, cant wait!

#14 Uncle G

Uncle G

"Good Ole Uncle G"

• OG VIP
  • 3,644 posts

Donator

Posted 30 July 2013 - 10:39 AM

Whats some good yeasts besides turbo?

#15 permafrying

permafrying

what

• Expired Member
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 10:40 AM

Whats some good yeasts besides turbo?

red star

#16 Uncle G

Uncle G

"Good Ole Uncle G"

• OG VIP
  • 3,644 posts

Donator

Posted 30 July 2013 - 10:50 AM

red star

Which yeast Red Star offers? Best for whiskey>?<

#17 permafrying

permafrying

what

• Expired Member
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 11:08 AM

Which yeast Red Star offers? Best for whiskey>?<

i havent made any whiskey but i used red star chanpaigne to make some basic freeze distilled rum and it turned out bomb

#18 Uncle G

Uncle G

"Good Ole Uncle G"

• OG VIP
  • 3,644 posts

Donator

Posted 30 July 2013 - 11:17 AM

i havent made any whiskey but i used red star chanpaigne to make some basic freeze distilled rum and it turned out bomb

Wow. Kewl. Can you maybe do us a thread on it? Sometime in the future.

red star champagne, there still few different kinds of the champagne. Do you remember what color the package was? This will makes us golden.

#19 permafrying

permafrying

what

• Expired Member
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 11:21 AM

i still have a bunch at home ill let you know when i get off work. pretty sure it was red

on my recipe? its extremely basic but ill post it up when i have time dont know if anyone will like it. or a write up on freeze distilling?

#20 Uncle G

Uncle G

"Good Ole Uncle G"

• OG VIP
  • 3,644 posts

Donator

Posted 30 July 2013 - 11:29 AM

Dont worry this forum moves slow but I am sure people like it.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!