• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 permafrying

permafrying

what

• Expired Member
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 11:32 AM

lol ill put it up sometime soon then. its ghetto but it surprisingly turned out good compared to some other things ive brewed. i need a still :-\

#22 permafrying

permafrying

what

• Expired Member
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 09:58 PM

sorry for the late response. the yeast i have is pasteur champagne yeast the package is yellow

ForumRunner_20130802_205843.png

#23 Uncle G

Uncle G

"Good Ole Uncle G"

• OG VIP
  • 3,644 posts

Donator

Posted 06 August 2013 - 04:42 PM

I order some red star PREMIER CUV√ČE WINE YEAST. I am going to checkout the yeast your holding.

#24 Baby Squid

Baby Squid

Gone Fishin'

• Expired Member
  • 224 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 07:55 PM

I use cuvee yeast for cider all the time. Works pretty good and can handle high ETOH levels and keep on cookin.

Big plus for freezing out some high test goodness too.

#25 Uncle G

Uncle G

"Good Ole Uncle G"

• OG VIP
  • 3,644 posts

Donator

Posted 10 August 2013 - 10:25 PM

I got a chard barrel and filled it full. Making some whiskey now.

#26 jimboyia

jimboyia

mycomonkey

• Free Member
  • 374 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 01:11 AM

Just curious.

First question to teacher(s) about mesh

1. best yeast? cheapest is best for foaf, if it takes while to ferment not a problem.
2. Should ya add corn? Or just sugar, Or ???????
3. Plastic cooler make a good container for the mesh?

Made wine before and can make air trap.

About the foaf still thoughts.

Swim doesnt understand how do you tell when the poison is off. Best ways to tell? Been the biggest reason why no lightening has ever been made by her.

Any thoughts is cool.

I haven't read the whole thread but I can tell you that I was a winemaker (hell, they even paid me to do it!) and I've also got some experience distilling. The poison you talk about is methanol and will kill you if it doesn't first turn you blind. But, because of it's simple molecular structure (1 x C) , it distills at a lower temperature than the ethanol (2 x C what you're really after). So, the trick to getting rid of the poison is by knowing its distillation point and ensuring that everything that is released by the still up to and slightly beyond this temperature point you just get rid of. Temperature control during distillation is EVERYTHING. Anyways, it's Sunday morning, kids..... you want some more help please send me a PM. Good luck!

#27 Uncle G

Uncle G

"Good Ole Uncle G"

• OG VIP
  • 3,644 posts

Donator

Posted 08 January 2014 - 02:35 AM

Little cloudy but taste good.  Only made the first cut.  

GEDC0107.JPG

#28 Prismatichawk

Prismatichawk

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 111 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 08:54 PM

For mash I always used turbo yeast and cain sugar as a quick easy way. turbo yeast rolls fast as hell and high percentage and if you want a whiskey you can add cornmeal to the mash as a cheap whiskey. Didn't need the cornmeal though for some quick shine in a stainless keg still. Think it was 172 fahrenheit at still head .one third heads, one third run, one third tails you can tell when heads is over when it stops feeling slippery or by taste

Edited by Prismatichawk, 08 January 2014 - 08:55 PM.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!