#1 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,998 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 November 2012 - 06:40 AM

IMG_0035.JPG This one hasnt grown very much at all this year
IMG_0024.JPG These little ones are growing nicely still tiny but I can get a clear picture of them now
IMG_0032.JPG
IMG_0018.JPG
IMG_0012.JPG This is the only dragon fruit having issues but it keeps growing I think it got injured or something in the middle
IMG_0007.JPG These really havent grown too much either
IMG_0041.JPG The dragon fruit grow like crazy :) I have a clay pot inside a jar so it catches all the water that runs out ....

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0013.JPG
  • IMG_0023.JPG
  • IMG_0026.JPG
  • IMG_0031.JPG
  • IMG_0038.JPG

Edited by Sidestreet, 07 September 2016 - 05:55 AM.
added archive tag :)

• Windy, EstimatedProphet, Black Heaven and 3 others like this

#2 fishy1

fishy1

VIP Member

• OG VIP
  • 241 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 08:15 AM

Nice garden! :-D
thanks for posting this.

#3 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,998 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 November 2012 - 08:26 AM

I have lots of plants indoors to keep me sane threw the long cold winter :)
I will be experimenting with some plants with different fertilizers etc...:)
I want to have a sprout and micro green garden as well sprouting lettuce in some of the odd pots already I want an edible indoor garden as well as pretty plants to look at :)
Thanks for replying
  • av8or likes this

#4 fishy1

fishy1

VIP Member

• OG VIP
  • 241 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:15 AM

What is dragon fruit? I'll have to look that up..
Do you ever use any grow lights?
I'm digging it.
  • wildedibles likes this

#5 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,998 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 November 2012 - 10:15 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pitaya
That's the dragon fruit I also have some prickly pear
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opuntia
both seeds were saved from fruit we ate :)
They might work for grafting stock but I need some ideas to make it work

I use a sun like bulb its 40watts it works ok but am planing on hanging another one too see if this helps with the stretching I like the sun like bulb idea I would really like to get a light that helps with seasonal depression I think this would provide sun like help to the little cactus in this cold environment the room stays warm enough but it is a cold drafty house

one thing to mention too the bulb stays on all night and we have sun all day I think they need a dark break rest to grow better and am adding more times of darkness to this sceduale

#6 paph

paph

Future Sailor

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,529 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 November 2012 - 02:41 PM

Nice collection wildedibles, Thank you for sharing it with us.:)
  • wildedibles and tizoc4u like this

#7 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,998 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 November 2012 - 04:17 PM

Thanks for the comments :) I love plants growing around me a bit of green all year round

#8 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,998 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:00 AM

Strawberry cactus seeds came from WSS
http://www.worldseed...p?prod=echtS020
IMG_0089.JPG
I only have one growing but it was my fault I planted the seeds watered put the dome on (top of the pop bottle) and had them too far away from a light source I was going to move them but forgot a couple days later had tons of sprouts but they were all reaching very badly and very week so I lost all but one the germination rate was good but I was forgetful I really want to get more of these growing again soon they are so cute and they will produce fruit
they are kind of backwards strawberries since the flower is pink/red and the fruit is white :) these flower and fruit at a small size so they might actually do this indoors so one day i might enjoy strawberries on a cactus one day :) I like that idea :)

Trich mix seeds came from WSS
http://www.worldseed...prod=tricmiS025

IMG_0067.JPG
I love growing mixed seeds I used to buy a mix cactus seed pouch at the grocery store but they stopped selling them one year and I happened to find World seed supply they offer a ton of varieties of cactus seeds the only problem is choosing I want a bit of everyone they have :) maybe one day ;)

All these little babies were planted spring 2012 same with the dragon fruit and the prickly pear planted the same time

This is a hobby me and hubby both love to do together watching the little baby cactus pop up it is totally different then watching veggies pop up ... we take turns tending to them and showing every friend they all think they are neat

I have a ton of dragon fruit and prickly pear seeds and plants I often give these away to friends that want to try and grow them watching people talk about how they are growing is very cool to see someone so excited over a plant :)

My other collection is always limited and some are not aloud to be traded so I keep these to myself but wanted to share pictures of these as they grow ... I have limited space and only plant under 20 seeds 1/2 or a little more pop up and i or my cats don't kill so u end up with a small quantity sometimes which is good cause come spring I will have every inch available for growing veggies for the garden tomatoes peppers etc....

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0079.JPG
  • IMG_0080.JPG

• Spooner likes this

#9 Accem

Accem

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 15 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:53 AM

Everything looks good wildedibles! Great collection! What soil mix do you use for your baby loph's and tricho's?

#10 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,998 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 December 2012 - 05:07 PM

I will try to remember

I know it is mostly sand I used a mix of cleaned outside sand and bird sand
a bit of charcoal tiny bit of clay the bird sand has Oyster shell in it oh and egg shells
I used a tiny bit of poop I think it was either cow but I think it was worm castings

I mixed it all up made it a very sandy mix and microwaved it cant remember how long but it was hot I mixed water in it a bit b4 microwaving it .....

I collect stones for mulch some cute little ones I find walking on the side walk and some I buy stone necklaces and use the stones in my special ones ;)
  • Nsnail likes this

#11 ethnobotanist420

ethnobotanist420

Welcome to the Machine

• OG VIP
  • 3,496 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:12 PM

Very nice!
Everything looks happy and healthy in your garden, Wild!
I have to say that I expected that tho haha

#12 doodaa man

doodaa man

getting to know thyself

• Expired Member
  • 1,228 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:14 PM

Hay Wild E.
Awesome to see you growing with the cold winter apone you ! Nice garden there ! Sure it makes you happy to see something green growing, going into the winter !
Keep on keeping on !

#13 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,998 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:56 PM

Thanks for all your kind words these plants do keep me sane threw my long cold winter :)
I think they are in for another photo shoot tomorrow I need a little green thumb time ;)

#14 ethnobotanist420

ethnobotanist420

Welcome to the Machine

• OG VIP
  • 3,496 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:31 PM

How much snow you got over there?
Its waist deep here, -30c and more snow blowing down as we speak :thumbdown:
Winter is a bummer... Ice fishing is like the only good part lol
I do like the end of winter tho... when you can actually enjoy it without getting hypothermia haha
  • wildedibles likes this

#15 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,998 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:37 AM

We only have a little so far a few feet -10 yesterday abouts and sunny so I was outside for a bit getting sun on my face

Here is the 1st picture this one bloomed for me yesterday I am sooo glad I brought these Japanese morning glories inside :)
They bloom for me on my hardest days to bring a smile to my face stop and smell the flowers ;)

Its called Chocolate Morning Glory :) yum yum chocolate :) Its called chocolate cause of the color of the pink outside it is a very rich dark almost chocolate pink color :)

IMG_0427.JPG

Here is a picture of mother wort sticking out of the snow :) this is why I have to pull a little green inside ;)

IMG_0406.JPG

This one is Heimia Salicifolia (Sun Opener/ Sinicuichi)
http://www.worldseed...p?prod=heisS500
I started these in the spring of this year :) from seeds I didnt think such tiny seeds would do anything and I actually had great luck starting these seeds in an Aquaponics set up the constant moisture they couldnt get enough I had 2 plants survive actually I thought only one survived but the one plant came back to life after looking really dead love it when that happends :) I just pinched the taller one back and it looks like there are new buds on the top I was hoping it would grow fuller after pinching it :) we sill see what it does soon enough :)
IMG_0455.JPG
There are a few cacti in the picture too and the one with the fatter leaves is cat mint from WorldSeedSupply

IMG_0437.JPG It is so hard to get a clear picture of the tiny babies but it is always fun trying ;)

IMG_0441.JPG These are the Trich mix from WorldSeedSupply
:) they are growing nicely :)

IMG_0469.JPG My Prickely pear cacti and one dragon fruit that is almost 3 years now it was a struggling one I found this container great for my strugling cacti at times
It is a glazed pot with no holes but I do not water this one very often like maybe once a week
there is fussy ones in here too Teddy Bear Cacti I think these spread like crazy and easily absorb any extra moisture I have added I think the fussyness of these they can probably evaporate water easier than the other cacti making them a great team ;)

IMG_0485.JPG I cannot remember the name on this one It is a vine I take clippings and spread this one around easily to fellow house plant lovers
I love the red tube flowers this one gets in the middle of winter usually last year it didnt flower but I did really cut it back it was getting very long and unsightly maybe it only flowers on older stalk?

IMG_0490.JPG :) BIG Aloe Vera I have had this one for at least 7 years easy I use it all the time this is a plant I water the least once a month if I water it more it shows signs of being water logged. the pot it is in has no holes at the bottom it is heavy and a resin. It has always been in this pot every couple of years I replace the soil it really likes this pot and finiky in other pots I have tried and gave in and put it back lol they talk back if you listen to their needs it tells me where it wants to be in the window too it doesnt want to be raight in the window
or it turns yellow starts too too much water it turns yellow
its not happy yellow so this plant really talks to be
there is babies of this one they sit in the shelf below in the same type of pot
they also let me know where they wanna be
I couldnt keep the babies in the parent pot they were all over crowded

now the other one I havent seemed to get it right I need to look it up again cause I cannot remember a name on this one either it was a seed from WorldSeedSupply
Its leaves look very very dry but I water it most often or this happends dry dry leaves that will fall off and create this long bare stem
It is a tree I will look up the name
it has one new shoot from the top
and only 4 branches left they might fall off I will finger check for dryness it is really dry in my grow room warm too about 15 - 20 C aprox or aprox 65 - 75 F I will put my thermometer back in the grow area for winter temp checks it gets -30C here in the winter and weeks and weeks of -20C all the time and windows are drafty I kinda like that at times cause there is new air coming in but when it gets cold I have to be careful the cacti are warm enough
if the power goes out there is always a wood stove on but it gets cooler without the Electric heat

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0433.JPG
  • IMG_0459.JPG

Edited by wildedibles, 12 December 2012 - 09:27 AM.

• Stoned Angel likes this

#16 sahtanoj

sahtanoj

mellow mushroom

• Expired Member
  • 517 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:09 AM

magic garden

#17 sheepherder

sheepherder

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 459 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:44 AM

very nice W.E.
thanks for sharing!
  • wildedibles likes this

#18 Accem

Accem

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 15 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 08:54 AM

Snow... I know the feeling. We had out first week of temp's of 34 degrees! Man I love living down south sometimes
  • wildedibles likes this

#19 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,998 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:01 AM

I don't mind now a days never really liked the cold but with kids loving to go outside even in the snow they show me how to have fun our sledding partys are the best around ;) fire hot chocolate natural hot dogs lol :) its the best with like 20 kids running around they get too much we can stick them in a snow bank lmao :)
  • Stoned Angel likes this

#20 Accem

Accem

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 15 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:41 AM

Yeah, I grew up in Lake Tahoe, CA so I am familiar with snow. I wish we would get a snow day once and a while but the plants enjoy warmer weather that is for sure! I can grow food all year round except during the peak of summer. Even the hot peppers don't like it!
  • wildedibles likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!