77 replies to this topic

#61 eatyualive

eatyualive

ExoCannibalist

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,153 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 July 2009 - 12:03 AM

dad lost a battle with a wasp nest. yellowjackets. needless to say, he had about five stings on his eyelids.

his eyes were like the size of two golf balls sticking out out of his head. crazy looking.

#62 Guest_beautypath_*

Guest_beautypath_*

Posted 27 July 2009 - 03:13 AM

I had to take out a killer bee hive in a tree next to my pickup truck. Usually I believe in live and let live, but they were too close to the truck and it was only a matter of time until they attacked. I believe an aggressive first attack is the best way to go, so I pulled the pickup truck up next to the nest and rolled down the window just far enough to get the wasp spray can aimed. With one hand on the trigger and one on the electric window switch, I soaked the hive, then pulled around and did the other side. This was at deep dusk so I could see them but they couldn't see me. Once done I pulled out and parked near the house and made sure none had followed me. The next morning there were about 200 to 300 bees dead on the ground. Must have got the queen because that hive never returned.
It was quite a rush because these bees really can kill.

#63 orgonebox

orgonebox

cocksucker

• Expired Member
  • 125 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 03:59 AM

My worst yellowjacket experience came with a flash flood on a camping trip.

Long story short, four hours of rain had turned an ankle-deep creek into a hip-deep wader. Me, my girlfriend, and three dogs had seven crossings before we could get back to the main trail. On one of the last crossings, I noticed my dogs running and yelping just as I reached the other side. Then I felt a sting on my forehead, through a bandana. Seems like I had stumbled right into a nest that had been partially exposed through erosion. If it weren't for the roar of the floodwater confusing the yellowjackets, I think I would have been mightily stung.

#64 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 07:41 AM

no yellowjackets but wasps are everywhere-
luckily they seem to be non-aggressive
so we're learning to live with each other.

#65 droool

droool

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 28 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 08:21 AM

LOL had to laugh so hard reading the tec and then even harder when i saw those pics LMAO:lol:

when facing a supirior opponent (wasps) ive learnd that a balls-out-attack isnt the best way.

i used to go guerilla style (hit n run):
1st i checkd if theres anything in the run-path from the nest to my backdoor
2nd open the back door
3rd get wd-40 alcohol or anything that burns (ive actually used spray-can deoderant)
4th sneak up to the nest and give a short spurt ( when i did it they almost imidiatly went beserk)
5th run like hell, dont triip and close the door once your inside fast.
6th reapet step 4 and five after a 15 min break
7th get a lighter, burn them and once again run as if a pitbull was after you.

oh and of course you gotta tie a green headband around your head and smear some of that green make-up stuff in ya face to make it look authentic

#66 Shroomette

Shroomette

Holding Tank

• Expired Member
  • 4,080 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 08:49 AM

:lol:

#67 Guest_cap_*

Guest_cap_*

Posted 27 July 2009 - 08:51 AM

dust is best time to go for the nests.
i wouldnt advise it tho :eusa_danc :lol:
especially hornets, theyre the real danger :teeth:
i wouldnt fuck with a hornet nest (like my uncle did in his grnhse) without some serious firepower on hand :lol:
he uses iso and a torch lighter.
if its between nature and your family gettin stung to shit what else u gonna do?
who cares. really lol hornets aint an endangered species.
certain wasps are so small you cant even see them without visual aid or the right background. like mite predatory wasps. amazing incredible fascinating little creatures! if you havent tried them yet do so. best advise i can give to some one with a greenhouse or large indoor op for their crab issues.

btw werent wasps/hornets/bees a LOT bigger back in the stoneage?
hehe... the ones these days should be of NO worry....! :lol::lol::lol:
reminding me of some old fashioned dinosaur movies now.
(cue the monitor lizard and baby alligator dressed up in snazzy glued-on sequence-covered dresses with fake horns strapped to their heads pit fighting and falling straight off a cliff together. that sucked when that happened :( good to watch cheesy movies like that to escape reality for a bit. i gotta have my mtv tho :puke: lol kidding. but yeah, its a great day when bees ansd wasps are the size of ants :amazed:

:lol:

#68 tbonus

tbonus

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 10:04 AM

Very interesting this thread came back up.Last night while clearing some debris from the back 40,I lifted up an old couch cushion long enough to see the little bastiges come pouring out-PISSED RIGHT OFF.Needless to say,I dropped said cushion and ran as fast as I could,yes,like a little girl back to the house:headbang:.Tonight,WE attack with gasoline.I've got cats & dogs that stay outside,and a daughter that aint scared of squat,so I must prevail on this mission.:weedpoke::weedpoke::weedpoke:

#69 weeeeeee

weeeeeee

humanoid

• Expired Member
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 10:22 AM

oh yeah doing siding i had to deal with all kinds flying insects.... all while usually stuck on a fully extended ladder up in some gable end 20-30 feet off the ground. its kinda scary cutting off a f1.5 foot length of j-channel adn knowing thats yoru only defence after you knock those bastards out of your way so you can try to finish the job

short lengths of j-channel actually works pretty well real light not flimsy at all, you can swing it as fast as you need

#70 weeeeeee

weeeeeee

humanoid

• Expired Member
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 10:24 AM

Very interesting this thread came back up.Last night while clearing some debris from the back 40,I lifted up an old couch cushion long enough to see the little bastiges come pouring out-PISSED RIGHT OFF.Needless to say,I dropped said cushion and ran as fast as I could,yes,like a little girl back to the house:headbang:.Tonight,WE attack with gasoline.I've got cats & dogs that stay outside,and a daughter that aint scared of squat,so I must prevail on this mission.:weedpoke::weedpoke::weedpoke:

not that you needed reassurance but thats an awesome plan...BURN IT TO THE GROUND!!!!

#71 Jose_sixpac

Jose_sixpac

Djembe~Woof

• Expired Member
  • 326 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 03:26 PM

I wasp dived once...only once.

I surprized them cleaning out a buddies car...just happens she played tennis.

They make a funny thongggg sound when you hit-um with a tennis raquet but it dosent kill-um just pisses-um off real bad (this falls into the "wish I had known that before" catagory of stupid human tricks)

It went badly to say the least, thank god there were only ten or twenty of the little bastages. They went into a holding pattern above me then took turns dive bombing my sorry ass; But I follishly stood my ground, Swish! thonggg! Ouch!

I finely vollied the little kamakazies off unto their Valhalla but they so served my butt that day.

It was like getting all of the shots you have ever had in your life all at once, while you are freaking the f--k out.
So much for looking cool in front of the ladies...and I didn't spill my beer.

Good read.

#72 Beast

Beast

That's Mr. Beast to you..

• Expired Member
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 03:53 PM

whatever happened to peace and love, man? whatever happened to living as one with mother nature?I thought we were all one?don't you people realze how important those animals are to the local ecosystem? I suppose you like rotting dead animals and fruit. kinda like how people who squish spiders must like flies and mosquitoes.people that enact violence on "bugs" usually do so on the ones who are trying to help get rid of the critters that annoyed the bughater in the first place.are you confused by my words? you'll soon sound like the KKK calling me a 'buglover'. :nono:Once upon a time...out in the vital farmlands of the early midwest of America, farmers thought they had a problem from 'so many peskky coyotes' so they got the loal government to offer a bounty for coyote hides. pretty soon everyone was shootin them pesky 'yotes. Til there weren't any but the smart ones left that stayed out of range....Soon after, the even peskier waskally wabbits, (who had previously been kept in check by the now nearly nonexistant coyotes) were eating every last little bit of vegetable that the farmers tried to grow (rabbits are nocturnal, thus hard to shoot at - can't make an 'injured carrot' sound to lure them outa their holes). And at was how one of the worst famines of 20th century north america began.moral of this story: ALL of God's creatures have a place and purpose here on Earth, and the ones that get your attention are usually doing so cuz they deserve a thank you. imagine what would happen if we got into the same habit, as demonstrated above, of flamethrowing chemicalling and shooting at other 'worker ants' around us that happen to have working hours that conflict with our leisure time? no more garbage man to pick up your morning trash for one....something to be said for 'live and let live'.

#73 Jose_sixpac

Jose_sixpac

Djembe~Woof

• Expired Member
  • 326 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 12:27 PM

Don't get me wrong Beastie, I am the first to co-exist wit my lil friends. Matter of fact I have been camping with them for the last two weeks.

KKK? bro
Plus it was like Highschool.
Opening a car door and being swarmed is a definite crap first, think later sort of knee jerk reaction...they had me pinned down sir! and I mean pinned, as in me being the cushion.

And I got better.:heart:

-j-

#74 Halsfield

Halsfield

Somniphiliac

• Expired Member
  • 64 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 02:32 AM

Good lord, you are a wild-man. We had a burrowing bee nest of some kind in an old snake hole in our yard and I drove our push lawnmower too close to it (before we knew about it and destroyed it) one time and got about 10 stings on the backs of my legs as I ran into the house. They were so swollen and starting to become numb. After that I never messed with a hive again.

#75 toadshroom

toadshroom

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 490 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 02:38 PM

nice...when i was a teenager i was mowing the grandparents yard and had to move an old out of work riding mower out of the way...well the ground hornets underneath weren't too appreciative of that! I had over 100 stings all over me. Luckily, i'm not allergic or I would've dropped dead on the spot i'm sure.

#76 catdaddy

catdaddy

herding kittens

• Expired Member
  • 2,321 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 04:59 PM

That suit is just a little bit...kinky...

#77 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 05:10 PM

nice...when i was a teenager i was mowing the grandparents yard and had to move an old out of work riding mower out of the way...well the ground hornets underneath weren't too appreciative of that! I had over 100 stings all over me. Luckily, i'm not allergic or I would've dropped dead on the spot i'm sure.

and that's where the line gets drawn-
live and let live
but if they hurt you, can kill you
then your right of self-defense kicks in.

#78 toadshroom

toadshroom

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 490 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 02:04 PM

and that's where the line gets drawn-
live and let live
but if they hurt you, can kill you
then your right of self-defense kicks in.

exactly! They didn't like the gas that got poured down their hole. Not the most eco-friendly way to get rid of them, but effective.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!