Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
* * * * - 5 votes

Redboy -potato/malt agar jars - G2G / Myc Syringes - Mycelium Milking / Super-Inoc

• Please log in to reply
138 replies to this topic

#101 ConsciousFeeder

ConsciousFeeder

Too rich the rich king.

• Expired Member
  • 920 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:42 AM

I wish I was much better with cameras than I currently am. Just got a new one. There is a science it get it to observe things that takes our eyes milliseconds to see. Really amazing stuff.

Yea I've seen a few of your jars before after you blended a stalk and had some strong bluing but who knew you'd get it from just milking... Wish that you could get that blue water tested to see just how many desirables are floating around in that water of yours!

Sounds like a method that doesn't even give contamination time to compete with the super-inoculation.

#102 Il19z8rn4li1

Il19z8rn4li1

Green Thumb Blue Thumb

• Expired Member
  • 3,659 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:46 AM

I wish I was much better with cameras than I currently am. Just got a new one. There is a science it get it to observe things that takes our eyes milliseconds to see. Really amazing stuff.

Yea I've seen a few of your jars before after you blended a stalk and had some strong bluing but who knew you'd get it from just milking... Wish that you could get that blue water tested to see just how many desirables are floating around in that water of yours!

Sounds like a method that doesn't even give contamination time to compete with the super-inoculation

That's the idea IMO.

Things are looked just as expected from you Hyph, :) Great work so far brother man.
Those gonna be some OH SWEET jars.

You should mention the KEY to this entire METHOD though, which is imo, MOISTURE content within your CORN.

For a method like this, you wouldnt want your grains to be close to 100% hydrated, but more so around 80%.
I have found this out the hard way by having bacteria blooms from overly wet jars after LCing or milking.

But with a little adjustment to hydration method one can easily fix this issue when working with LIQUID methods of
inoculation.

I only soak my grain for 20mins with BOILING water within a PC that has its lid put in loosely but to make the steam
not escape.

:)

Great show for show ;)

#103 mate0x

mate0x

st0ned

• OG VIP
  • 4,607 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:14 AM

Very cool idea hyphe, for all of the reasons you outlined.

bluemilk.jpg

Rinsing the grains in mycelium water is just a great idea, being able to drain back out excess makes it doubly awesome.

#104 Il19z8rn4li1

Il19z8rn4li1

Green Thumb Blue Thumb

• Expired Member
  • 3,659 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:15 AM

Very cool idea hyphe, for all of the reasons you outlined.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]297040[/ATTACH]

hahaha the infamous BLUE MILK!!!! cant believe i didnt recall this :)
of course you noticed that with the quickness ;)

• feralronin likes this

#105 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,772 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:57 PM

I love it Hyph,and plan to try this out myself this week.
Possibly with another species also...

Peer review ... awesome !

One of the cool things about this is when you milk something , like an agar-jar or a jar of grain , you take part of the mycelium ... but you give back moisture everytime , which is essentially like a re-hydrating dunk. This is good because these things dry out fairly quickly as the mycelium consumes the medium.

Eventually I'll break out the egg-carton cardboard to try experiments with blending it to pulp and mixing it with heavy myc-water. I got a good feeling about that combo.
  • Gloid likes this

#106 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,772 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:26 PM

You should mention the KEY to this entire METHOD though, which is imo, MOISTURE content within your CORN.

The key things for me with popcorn are:

- Soak time longer than 12 hours (15 - 18 optimal), under that requires prolonged simmering which can over-saturate and rupture kernels
- Proper simmering , light bubbles - not boiled for at least one hour
- Rinse simmered popcorn under clean water to remove undesirables

Now THIS is super-key:

- Drain the popcorn well after rinsing in a colander.
- Put a plate on top of the colander and "whip" out the extra water thoroughly. <<<---- The key ***

That is the key to making popcorn jars for use in inoculating with spores , so there is no excess water in the jar. This is also important if you are attempting to inject 10 CC of mycelium water in a popcorn jar , because it can't already have excess water and then receive more ...

As far as flooding the jars to milk or super-inoculate ... that's why I took so much time to develop proper drainage , the jars completely drain 99% of the extra water when they are flipped with the milker. So the key to the milkers is drainage.

Edited by hyphaenation, 18 January 2013 - 02:39 PM.

#107 feralronin

feralronin

Professional Amateur

• Expired Member
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:38 PM

The key things for me with popcorn are:

- Soak time longer than 12 hours (15 - 18 optimal), under that requires prolonged simmering which can over-saturate and rupture kernels
- Proper simmering , light bubbles - not boiled for at least one hour
- Rinse simmered popcorn under clean water to remove undesirables

Now THIS is super-key:

- Drain the popcorn well after rinsing in a colander.
- Put a plate on top of the colander and "whip" out the extra water thoroughly. <<<---- The key ***

That is the key to making popcorn jars for use in inoculating with spores , so there is no excess water in the jar. This is also important if you are attempting to inject 10 CC of mycelium water in a popcorn jar , because it can't already have excess water and then receive more ...

As far as flooding the jars to milk or super-inoculate ... that's why I took so much time to develop proper drainage , the jars completely drain 99% of the extra water when they are flipped with the milker. So the key to the milkers is drainage.

Thank you for the info on the popcorn. I've always stayed away from it because I always had wet spots that led to bacteria. But this whole thing is so inspiring, I think Im going to give it another go with this prep.

Im going to reread this thread again from the beginning because I really feel like this could be a game changer. The amount of spawn you can create is unlimited it seems, as long as sterility is ensured by the design. I have to admit, first read through some went over my head, but I can't get over that recovery time. Wow. Way to go man!

#108 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,772 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:42 AM

This thread is specifically geared toward my persuasion of Redboy Cubensis ... it would be most helpful if others could join in and put their spin on it. With other Cubensis and other species. Mostly it would be good to see results of someone who actually has 80F dedicated , something I almost never have. This is a community tek and any input is appreciated.

#109 feralronin

feralronin

Professional Amateur

• Expired Member
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:06 PM

This thread is specifically geared toward my persuasion of Redboy Cubensis ... it would be most helpful if others could join in and put their spin on it. With other Cubensis and other species. Mostly it would be good to see results of someone who actually has 80F dedicated , something I almost never have. This is a community tek and any input is appreciated.

I work with pints and have some rye going at the moment and all I keep thinking about is that milking contraption. I'd love to try it on some pints Im starting next week of either some Walmart popcorn or rye. I've had the popcorn for a couple weeks because I read so much crap about it. What brand do you use?

And how much would you say the milker cost to construct?

any updates?

#110 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,772 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:29 PM

Thanks for the interest.

My body wanders almost as much as my mind , and I'm out of the listening area for awhile. Still checking in but not even a comp or net access at the moment. As soon as I can get back to this I will. Right now I'm in the big city and gatherng some supplies that will help me.

When I get back I'll do a proper update.

#111 Foster

Foster

cyanophile

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,254 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:36 AM

Alright Hyph, I happen to have a dedicated 78-82ºF area. Gonna have to make some jars and try this. Potentially Ps. Mexicana, SECY, and African Transkei and GT cubes. Might try to figure out a way to adapt it to bags too with a PC'able thru- hull fitting and adapter I happen to have.

Maybe incorporate the super spawning with PBH for the woodlover and the mexicana since its similar to grass seed. With no grain just hulls it's less likely to attract rodents who seem to love any bed I make with grain. lol

I got lead free solder and a torch I might try that method too with a few lids.

Keep it blue! ;)

#112 feralronin

feralronin

Professional Amateur

• Expired Member
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 03:05 PM

I grabbed a new 23 qt PC so I can finally do quart jars in the PC. I've got some rye and some wbs going from LCs right now. Trying to decide if I can build this for when I get a couple jars at full colonization.

Got agar in the PC right now and Im waiting for the pressure to drop enough so I can get the bottle and pour my first Petris. Gonna try and do some cool stuff.

#113 kcmoxtractor

kcmoxtractor

Halloween Terror

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,813 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:13 PM

I just realized another way that this method could be very useful.

Medicinal mushrooms, specifically Lion's Mane for the nerve regenerative properties.

The bottles of Host Defense Lion's Mane capsules from Fungi Perfecti say that they are freeze
dried mycelium. In theory, one could mycelium milk a quart of corn colonized with Lion's Mane
and drink the fresh mycelium. In almost every case of food as medicine, fresher is better! I will
experiment with this method and the Hericium Erinaceous species to see if it will recover after
milking. Onward with science! :headbang:
  • ConsciousFeeder likes this

#114 feralronin

feralronin

Professional Amateur

• Expired Member
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:34 PM

Still my favorite thread!!

ok Hyph I said I was gonna try this also, and today it starts. I'm going to try exactly what you did, except with WBS. I won't be able to start on the milker for a while, but I've got 4 pint jars with agar and they are around 60-90% colonized.
To this I was going to add sterilized WBS. I've got a few extra 40lb bags around here that are really clean to start with and I've been using it for everything.

*Is it important to wait until the myc has fully colonized the jar before adding the wbs? I'm in no rush, but if I can start now instead I will.

Im going to start off with doing g2g from the agar to get the hang of it, then milk the agar wbs jars next. I'm not sure how my lid setup would work for myc syringes from the agar pints.

I also decided to tape the vent shut in my grow room and give it its own heat source, a little $8 heater from Wally land. It stays at 81 degrees and since putting it in, the agar growth has nearly doubled in colonization speed. I was having cold nights. I'm interested in the speed factor and if I can do this all cleanly in the schmuvbox, I think I'll soon have more spawn than I know what to do with. Which will be great for once.

#115 kcmoxtractor

kcmoxtractor

Halloween Terror

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,813 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:03 PM

I started my experiments yesterday... Added corn to the top of my agar jars. Hypsizygus Tessellatus, blue and pink oysters.

#116 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,306 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:10 PM

My thinking is that I'll wait until the mycelium has 100% colonized the agar before adding anything to my jars. I figure it should act as a reactive barrier between the world at large and the agar itself. I'm interested now to see what effects the various metabolites will have on the agar medium itself as the mycelium digests the substrates.

Cool stuff.....I started saving all kinds of jars for experiments............man I love this! :teeth:

I can't believe I didn't see this thread.........holy shit!

I must be under a rock somewhere! :teeth: This has definitely inspired some speriments for me now.
I hypothesize the following: (will post some photographs as well)
  • four jars of colonized popcorn (cyanescens)
  • milk them in my GB (I haven't created the milking apparatus shown here yet)
  • hydrate wood stove pellets with the mycelium water in open air
  • incubate

This holds HUGE promise! Great work Hyphe..............:thumbup:

Edited by Arathu, 01 March 2013 - 04:37 PM.

#117 feralronin

feralronin

Professional Amateur

• Expired Member
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 06:32 PM

That's kinda what I thought. I've got two jars if agar I'm going to be using initially. Ill wait a few more days until the whole thing has become 100%. I'm going to add another strain too to see if I can see any major differences there also.

Thats awesome kcm, Ill try to get some pics in this thread of just start another. The milker is at least a month away for me.

#118 feralronin

feralronin

Professional Amateur

• Expired Member
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 11:41 PM

Just added a pint per jar to two pints of agar that were near 100% in the schmuvbox. Tool some pics but its giving me an upload error. Ill try later on.

#119 feralronin

feralronin

Professional Amateur

• Expired Member
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:01 PM

I can't see anything going on with my wbs on agar. I think I should have waited longer before I added the wbs. May have been too much weight also. I'm going to get more agar to today to make transfers, half of which I'll be trying this with.

#120 feralronin

feralronin

Professional Amateur

• Expired Member
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 11:43 AM

Going to be using the milking process on some wbs this weekend.

Ive got pp5 containers nearly full colonization with nice looking myc.

Im going to shoot some sterilized water from a 30cc syringe into the PP5 and agitate it, then draw it back up with 10cc syringes.

All work will be done in the schmuvbox.

Im gonna do a test immediately after with some wbs pints that were prepared ahead of time and are clean. Will be shooting the myc water into these pints.

The pp5s will then be experimented with also. Half will be allowed to recover, half will be used to spawn a mini dubtub with hpoo/coir/verm. If they recover well, I'll do the process over again.

Ive been watching a thread where grains were dunked prior to spawning and the results are pretty impressive.

**Its my hope that I can do this in a clean enough way where I can use a small amount of spore solution to inoculate a small container of grain. Then using the syringes, acquire some of the clean grown out mycelium and use that to grow many more jars. Like an LC, but with a more sterile starting point. I also want to be able to use that grain to fruit. No waste**

thats the plan anyways. I'll start a thread for it and link to it here.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!