Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

Kronos's, no PC, Cubensis beginners tech!

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Kronos

Kronos

bioluminescent

• OG VIP
  • 490 posts

Donator

Posted 14 December 2012 - 06:14 AM

Nice and clean glass tumblers, 20ml Syringes with long needles
45% Wild Bird Seed Spores of your choice
45% Coir Alcohol rubbing spray
10% Used Coffee Grounds Cling film and tin foil
Vermiculture Rubber gloves and a mask

To create substrate
1. Take Coir and boil in water, until the coir has absorbed all the water it can. Tip out any excess water, but do not squeeze water from the sodden Coir. Leave in pan to cool.
2. Put the wild bird seed into a strainer and give a good rinse.
3. Pour the WBS into the pan with the coir, then add the spent coffee grounds. Mix to a light fluff consistency.
4. Spoon mix into glass beakers leaving a 30mm from the top, making sure not to compress mix or get on the edges of the top of the beaker.
5. Cover the mix with 20mm of Vermiculture and leave a 10mm gap from the top for expansion during steaming.
6. Tear two squares of tin foil large enough to cover the top of the glass, put on piece on tight and crunch up the edges around the glass. Put the send piece on loosely so that it can be easily removed later.
7. Put full glasses into a saucepan fill with water just below the tinfoil line. Place saucepan lid on top and steam in oven for an hour and a half at 150 deg .c
8. Leave to cool overnight, done.

To create spore syringe

1. Get a small shot glass fill with 50 ml of water, put cling film over the top and nuke for 60 seconds.
2. While this is being done, sterilise (Boil or Steam) syringes, knife and equipment to be used to create spore syringe. Wait to cool.
3. Very important, use a room that has had little activity, to avoid other floating contaminate spores in the environment, no fans, no windows open etc. etc. Clean work area (kitchen Surface) Wipe down with soap and water the apply alcohol spray to surface.
4. Put a face mask on and some rubber gloves, spray alcohol on rubber gloves to decontaminate.
5. Prepare area with the nuked water, spores, syringes etc.
6. Take the lid of the water, scrape a small sized amount of spore print into water, taking care to avoid directly breathing on to it.
7. Get syringe and suck and empty the syringe to mix the spores with water, also wash the residue of the side of the shot glass, once mixed place needle caps back on, place on cling film give a light spray of alcohol to keep sterile, wrap up in the cling film, place in fridge overnight. Spore syringe complete.

To inoculate the substrate

1. Clean kitchen work area down, with alcohol spray, done gloves and mask again.
2. Shake syringes to unsettle spores
3. Take the glasses and free top layer of foil, leave loose do not remove.
4. Un-package syringes take of tip and sterilise tip of needle with a flame.
5. Lift the loose lid, and inject 2ml in per injection. Push needle as far as it will go (without going through foil) inject and draw up syringe at the same time, this is to inject spores evenly throughout the substrate. Inject each substrate 3 times in an even manner.
6. Once glass is inoculated replace lid loosely, and move on to the next.
7. When all glasses are done cover holes with micropore tape.
8. Move all the substrate into a warm (27-28 C.) room to colonise
9. Leave for around 1-2 months. Done.

To make the cake

1. Again boil half the amount of coir to colonised substrate, put a bowl with a little coffee ground’s and apply cling film, nuke in the microwave for about three minutes to sterilise the coir. Leave to cool.
2. Sterilise the working area. Put on mask and gloves, Open a jar colonised substrate, scrape of the Vermiculture into a waste bowl using a sterilised spoon. Then scrape the colonised substrate into a ceramic, clean and sterilised bowl. Empty each jar as required.
3. Take the new coir\coffee mix (leave a little for the casing.) and mix with the substrate. MIX THROURLY. Once mixed pat down mix but do not compress too much.
4. We need to case the new substrate to allow the fungi a platform to grow from, apply the saved coir\coffee mix to the top of the new cake, with a thickness of about 10-15mm.
5. Seal the new cake with a couple layers of tin foil. Poke holes in the foil with a skewer, to allow air exchange. And seal holes with micropore tape.
6. Place back it airing cupboard, at 28.C in the dark, leave for around 2-4 weeks. Done.

Fruiting the cake the fun bit.

1. We need a humid warm light place to get the cake to flush. The environment should be around 80% Humidity and around 23.C.
2. Also there need to be a clean fresh air exchange so that the cake can breathe. The diagram below is what is need to create an environment for the mushrooms to grow.

8340.jpg

Done, now just collect those spores.

8403.jpg

​Thanks for Reading, Kronos.

Edited by Kronos, 14 December 2012 - 08:09 AM.

• Erkee and Boebs like this

#2 Nickypno

Nickypno

VIP Member

• Expired Member
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 06:45 AM

I have always been under the impression that grains, like wbs, will not achieve satisfactory sterilization through steam sterilization or through any route that is not a pressure cooker because the grains require pressure for adequate penetration of the grains.

Apparently, that has always been incorrect if those shrooms were grown from steam sterilized coir/wbs cakes.

Good job.

#3 Kronos

Kronos

bioluminescent

• OG VIP
  • 490 posts

Donator

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:55 AM

I have always been under the impression that grains, like wbs, will not achieve satisfactory sterilization through steam sterilization or through any route that is not a pressure cooker because the grains require pressure for adequate penetration of the grains.

Apparently, that has always been incorrect if those shrooms were grown from steam sterilized coir/wbs cakes.

Good job.

I have not lost many to contamination, maybe 2%.

To begin with I was boiling the WBS for a minuet or two, this was over kill.
When the boiled WBS was steamed, the seed would split and start to rot, stopping the spread of myc.

Rinsing the WBS with cold water is enough to clean the grain externally, but not swelling the grain so it splits. I think the Hour and a half at 150.c helps too, not to hot but hot enough to kill contamination I guess the moisture from the coir is enough to sterilise the WBS.

Thanks for your comments!

It works, honest! I recon, I have done about 8 runs, using the same technique. hardly any loss.

#4 Kronos

Kronos

bioluminescent

• OG VIP
  • 490 posts

Donator

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:54 PM

Read my fucking post its great

#5 Kronos

Kronos

bioluminescent

• OG VIP
  • 490 posts

Donator

Posted 28 December 2012 - 03:00 PM

Just a bump.

#6 Roger Cook

Roger Cook

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 50 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 04:43 PM

Good job.

If you're using something like tape or tin foil to keep moisture from entering your jars how is the contents affected by pressure? I thought a pressure cooker was under pressure to make the steam hotter than it would be under atmospheric pressure.

#7 Kronos

Kronos

bioluminescent

• OG VIP
  • 490 posts

Donator

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:34 AM

You would only keep the pressure out if you used sealed jars with screw lids! Tape and foil would let the pressure in.
I think that the moisture in the coir is getting hot enough that it is steralising all the individual grains in between it, it is getting past boiling point in there.

#8 Kronos

Kronos

bioluminescent

• OG VIP
  • 490 posts

Donator

Posted 24 August 2020 - 11:52 AM

Bump and its back in action

• Boebs and Moonless like this

#9 Boebs

Boebs

Psychonaut

• VIP
  • 937 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 August 2020 - 01:16 PM

Lol this tek is great! I need to try it:)

#10 Boebs

Boebs

Psychonaut

• VIP
  • 937 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 August 2020 - 01:17 PM

Resurrection of a 8 year old thread! Lmao

Blow the cobweb mod off and lets give it a try
  • RainbowCatepillar likes this

#11 FunG

FunG

Been there, read that.

• Free Member
  • 956 posts

Posted 25 August 2020 - 12:09 AM

Hahaha!

Just when I begin questioning my level of knowledge something like this comes along.

I'm still waiting to see results from the uncle Ben rice bag tek....

This guys tek is just novel

And the picture uses I'm pretty sure came from a vendors website lol

#12 Kronos

Kronos

bioluminescent

• OG VIP
  • 490 posts

Donator

Posted 25 August 2020 - 02:46 AM

FunG, they are defo my images, check out my albums.

#13 Kronos

Kronos

bioluminescent

• OG VIP
  • 490 posts

Donator

Posted 25 August 2020 - 02:47 AM

Lol this tek is great! I need to try it:)

Pretty simple tek, done a fair bit of trial and error on it.

• Boebs likes this

#14 xlcor

xlcor

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 68 posts

Posted 25 August 2020 - 05:21 AM

Read my fucking post its great

This entire thread is an absolute gem and I'm archiving it in my Downloads. Very cool TEK, can't wait to try it!

#15 FunG

FunG

Been there, read that.

• Free Member
  • 956 posts

Posted 25 August 2020 - 05:33 AM

Krono's

If you had luck with the procedures outlined it was just that "luck" I'm not going to tear down this none sense about sterilizing in a oven or microwave.

I've attempted pf mix in Tupperware containers in a microwave before, I got growth but something to do with the electric magnetic currents zaps brf's nutritional value and only small scraggly mushrooms grow. Not to mention the mix drys out.

You need a pressure cooker that reaches 15psi to properly sterilize wbs, even if your successful sterilizing the mix in a oven it would become contaminated as soon as it was exposed to open air.

I call bs on the tek and only encourage those with spores to spare to try it but dont expect much.

Buy a pressure cooker and do things the right way.

#16 Kronos

Kronos

bioluminescent

• OG VIP
  • 490 posts

Donator

Posted 01 September 2020 - 12:44 PM

Krono's

If you had luck with the procedures outlined it was just that "luck" I'm not going to tear down this none sense about sterilizing in a oven or microwave.

I've attempted pf mix in Tupperware containers in a microwave before, I got growth but something to do with the electric magnetic currents zaps brf's nutritional value and only small scraggly mushrooms grow. Not to mention the mix drys out.

You need a pressure cooker that reaches 15psi to properly sterilize wbs, even if your successful sterilizing the mix in a oven it would become contaminated as soon as it was exposed to open air.

I call bs on the tek and only encourage those with spores to spare to try it but dont expect much.

Buy a pressure cooker and do things the right way.

Hey man you are bang out of order.

I have success with this tek multiple times. To begin with I had a few failures but I amended the process and had it down to a T. Don't slag it off if you have not tried it. There is no right way to grow a mushroom.

Why a pressure cooker, perhaps there is enough moisture in the coir to steam the bird seed from within. If we all did the same thing without experimenting we wouldn't get anywhere, and shepe like you wouldnt have instructions to follow.

Its a no PC tek, and I will fight you over it....

I have some 10 year old spores from my last missions, once its done ill send you some photos so you can stick them up your ass!

Edited by Kronos, 01 September 2020 - 12:45 PM.

#17 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 8,746 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 September 2020 - 04:24 PM

Now, now children, let's all play nicely please   :hug:

• Kronos likes this

#18 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 13,346 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 September 2020 - 10:48 AM

To find a source of whole grain that is free of heat-tolerant endospores must be nice.

And the way to debate techniques or methods on this site is by posting photos of the results, not by sniping at each other with passive-aggression (or active-aggression). Temp-bans await if it continues.

Photos speak for themselves, but what they say can also be false or misleading (especially nowadays) so it's best if a controversial method is tested by several experienced growers who all post their results.

In other words, the only reasonable way to determine if a Tek is worth following is by subjecting it to peer review to establish that it's results are satisfactory and reproducible.

science3

• Myc and Kronos like this

#19 snottybrood

snottybrood

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 September 2020 - 10:58 AM

To find a source of whole grain that is free of heat-tolerant endospores must be nice.

And the way to debate techniques or methods on this site is by posting photos of the results, not by sniping at each other with passive-aggression (or active-aggression). Temp-bans await if it continues.

Photos speak for themselves, but what they say can also be false or misleading (especially nowadays) so it's best if a controversial method is tested by several experienced growers who all post their results.

In other words, the only reasonable way to determine if a Tek is worth following is by subjecting it to peer review to establish that it's results are satisfactory and reproducible.

Scientific method and peer review *thumbs up*. Lets not be those people who write petty responses to experiments they haven''t tested themselves. 

Actually pretty interesting low-tech tek! I feel like narrowing down the steps, allows for waaaay less contamination and mess-ups. 

#20 FunG

FunG

Been there, read that.

• Free Member
  • 956 posts

Posted 02 September 2020 - 12:52 PM

It's ok , dont listen. It's not my time that will be wasted.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!