144 replies to this topic

#21 ethnobotanist420

ethnobotanist420

Welcome to the Machine

• OG VIP
  • 3,658 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 December 2012 - 08:33 PM

Morgan Freeman said some very wise words about this tragedy that rang very true with me...

Article here:

http://www.examiner....hooting?cid=rss

You want to know why {these shootings keep happening}. This may sound cynical, but here’s why.It’s because of the way the media reports it. Flip on the news and watch how we treat the Batman theater shooter and the Oregon mall shooter like celebrities. Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris are household names, but do you know the name of a single victim of Columbine? Disturbed people who would otherwise just off themselves in their basements see the news and want to top it by doing something worse, and going out in a memorable way. Why a grade school? Why children? Because he’ll be remembered as a horrible monster, instead of a sad nobody. CNN’s article says that if the body count “holds up”, this will rank as the second deadliest shooting behind Virginia Tech, as if statistics somehow make one shooting worse than another. Then they post a video interview of third-graders for all the details of what they saw and heard while the shootings were happening. Fox News has plastered the killer’s face on all their reports for hours. Any articles or news stories yet that focus on the victims and ignore the killer’s identity? None that I've seen yet. Because they don’t sell. So congratulations, sensationalist media, you've just lit the fire for someone to top this and knock off a day care center or a maternity ward next.
You can help by forgetting you ever read this man's name, and remembering the name of at least one victim. You can help by donating to mental health research instead of pointing to gun control as the problem. You can help by turning off the news.

#22 daytryptr

daytryptr

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 104 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 12:08 AM

[Direct Link]

Come pick me up ET, i'm done with these people.

The media uses these events to jack up their ratings, stoak the political debate regarding gun control, and every forum thread i've read about this on the internet today has just devolved into heated debates between gun-rights/control extremists.

27 fucking people died, and instead of coming together and helping each other (most importantly the victims familys) cope with the greif and emotional numbness associated with these events, this is what we get.

Our culture/society has emotional/psychological cancer. Its a very depressing situation. :(

You don't know how inappropriate your comments are until you've expirenced first hand such tradegies, and as someone who had a double homocide comittted on prom night in their small hometown, two people who i knew very well, it makes me sick how the media/extremists exploit these tradegies for their own agenda/profit. I can assure you the last thing on peoples minds after theses tradegies, is the frothy ignorance spewed on internet forums and the media.

I know not everyone falls into that BS when stuff like this happens, but, people need to realize there are people hurting BAD, and they need to respect the situation for those people.

I will refrain from making inappropriate statements about my opinions regarding gun control, since this is not the place or time to do so, and i urge the rest of you to do the same.

#23 Mrs.Hippie3

Mrs.Hippie3

QueenBee

• Founders
  • 11,103 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:23 AM

man! i just found out about this since i live with my head in the ground but the good news is that theres always an angel among us... those poor kids are never gonna be the same again though. i do hope the gunman is dead for his own sake..

546981_214353048700807_978048365_n.jpg

This is Victoria. She died a hero today. She hid her first graders in the cabinets and closets after hearing the gunfire. When the shooter came to her classroom, she told him that her students were in the gym. He then gunned her down and moved on. She saved the lives of all of her students. She deserves to be remembered for her bravery.

Edited by Mrs.Hippie3, 16 December 2012 - 08:32 AM.

#24 MycoDani

MycoDani

Myco Chick

• Site Administrator
  • 9,862 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:13 AM

Beyond sad and horrific my heart breaks for all people who are victims of violence.:heart:

#25 Il19z8rn4li1

Il19z8rn4li1

Green Thumb Blue Thumb

• Expired Member
  • 3,659 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:34 AM

I wont lie... this makes me cry....

#26 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 6,892 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:35 AM

I'm just going to say it out loud........
Just like 9/11 was planned and orchestrated, I think these individuals are being guided or influenced by some outside party. These un-stable individuals are somehow being identified and groomed, encouraged, guided to their actions. These "mass shootings" smack of the JFK assassination - just a re-employment of the same strategies of subterfuge and confusion. And just like 9/11, these acts are designed to influence public opinion - to make us do things we wouldn't ordinarily consider (like further compromise of our civil liberties).
What freedoms have we given up as a result of 9/11?
Looks like they've found an effective way to get us to willingly give up some more.

Seriously, who in the fuck has EVER been so angry at another individual that they would just trot to the local school and start offing innocents?
Please, somebody else ask this question and then listen to what the little voice inside your head tells you. I HAVE NEVER, in my sickest imaginings - even writers of fictional horror generally avoid scenes such as this.
Now, really examine what is going on - as "gun control" becomes more of a buzzword.

Someone else presented an equally rational (if you can call it that) argument:
Why not just arm every single teacher?
If the lady in Mrs.H3's post had possessed a gun, she might have taken that fucker's life. I know most of the ladies here at 'Topia would have had no problem or hesitation putting one right between that fellow's eyes.

I take it a step further, if you think these types of actions are going to decline........think again. After all, they've got a nation talking gun control.
If I were a teacher, I would be making sure I'm packing heat every time I go to work now. The powers that be have revealed their new strategy and innocent children - along with their educators - are on the front line.

I have been disgusted with this story since it first aired. The media is just a tool of the powers that be.
If you really feel that strongly about the story, arm yourself publicly. After all......
If I'm some child-murdering coward, I'm not likely to knowingly walk into a heavily fortified or defended area. Instead, being the coward that I am, I will move on and look for easier prey. Movie theaters, Church, and the bank, you just never know who might whip out a gun and maim your sorry, cowardly, ass.........if everyone is carrying.

#27 Lodi

Lodi

Pick door #3

• Expired Member
  • 357 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:37 AM

Why do these things happen? Who is in the spotlight as far as the media is concerned?

Remember the children and stop watching the news. All these mentally ill people who do this shit would do it regardless of guns being legal or illegal or ammunition being 5k per box. It happens because these psychos see a chance to be remembered, so they try to top the last psycho. The media shows you the first hand accounts of other children who survived telling grave stories of how the shooting happened. They tell you all about the killer and his past. We can recall the names of all the crazy killers from virginia tech to Colombine, but what about the victims??

We are the reason this shit happens, because we get so consumed in the person at fault and at the weapon used to do the crime, we never look past that. We can look far enough and see that we created these psychos, because hollywood, our cars, our wants and pleasures are far more important than respect for those who are different. They our products of they're environment, and we helped push them to these lengths.

My heart goes out to all the families and those involved or even worse murdered or injured. These things will keep happening so long as we remember the killers name and not the victims.

[Direct Link]

4th verse-
And I cant help but wonder now willie mcbride,
Do all those that lie here, know why they died?
Did you really believe them when they told you the cause,
Did you really believe, that this war would end wars?
Well the suffering the sorrow, the glory the shame,
The killing the dieing it was all done in vain!
For willie mcbride its all happened again,
And again and again and again and again.
  • Spooner likes this

#28 Il19z8rn4li1

Il19z8rn4li1

Green Thumb Blue Thumb

• Expired Member
  • 3,659 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:38 AM

^^^^^ i think the same way my friend.... i have always thought like this.

#29 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 13,868 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 December 2012 - 12:33 PM

We should all have a good shrink explain this stuff to us. Ain't no seven degrees of separation. It's closer than that. It's fine lines. It's blind spots of ignorance. It's brilliant, but ill-informed, judgement. It's what we never expected, and exactly what we expected. It's because we never cried. It's because we cried too much.

The shrink's job one is to determine if we are a danger to ourselves or others. In the end, we are just left with what we have. That is ourselves and each other.

The shrink I had was a good one. She helped me see the angry suppressed killer I could have once been. She helped me to see that I wouldn't be that. It was a good thing for me to see. Applying the right questions, she helped me know my heart. I don't have the heart to pay back pain for pain. I have no burning need to show them. That can be left behind.

I am not a danger to myself or others. There is peace in knowing that.

#30 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 11,641 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 December 2012 - 02:10 PM

When I say "school is no place for children!" (and I say it every chance I can get) people still mostly react as if I'm kidding. I'm not kidding, and never was. This wasn't about the weapon of choice, either since on the exact same day a similar attack at a school in China wounded 22 children but that attack was committed with a knife. Is it some twisted desire to harm what they perceive to be symbols of innocence that brings such sociopaths to schools? I suspect that might be the case because it sure as hell couldn't have been personal (at least not against the children, though the shooter's mother did work at the school as a teacher and he killed her too).

"Security" is ultimately an abstract concept, so children should have at least a basic sense of what to do when violence/gunfire erupts near them since no place is truly "secure" (it's all about probability, and the probability of any given person being attacked is never zero). As soon as they can grasp the concepts, children need to be taught to hit the ground and find sturdy cover or a good hiding spot and to stifle any noise (there's no crying when you're hiding for your life).

#31 ethnobotanist420

ethnobotanist420

Welcome to the Machine

• OG VIP
  • 3,658 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 December 2012 - 02:58 PM

When I say "school is no place for children!" (and I say it every chance I can get) people still mostly react as if I'm kidding. I'm not kidding, and never was. This wasn't about the weapon of choice, either since on the exact same day a similar attack at a school in China wounded 22 children but that attack was committed with a knife. Is it some twisted desire to harm what they perceive to be symbols of innocence that brings such sociopaths to schools? I suspect that might be the case because it sure as hell couldn't have been personal (at least not against the children, though the shooter's mother did work at the school as a teacher and he killed her too).

"Security" is ultimately an abstract concept, so children should have at least a basic sense of what to do when violence/gunfire erupts near them since no place is truly "secure" (it's all about probability, and the probability of any given person being attacked is never zero). As soon as they can grasp the concepts, children need to be taught to hit the ground and find sturdy cover or a good hiding spot and to stifle any noise (there's no crying when you're hiding for your life).

My grandmother was in school in Germany during WW2 and they had many drills of such nature... It paid to do these kinds of drills however morbid the idea seems... Because when the warning bell sounded most(unfortunately not all) of the students and faculty followed their drill plans and retreated to a small "Cave" as my Grandmother put it, across the road...

The school was hit by a bomber and leveled. My grandmother and many others survived this because they had well established training and planning for the worst.

I find it sad that this sort of thing is necessary(Especially in a country not in the grips of war...tho some may argue that they are... that we all are) but it does not hurt(maybe emotionally scaring tho) to be prepared for the worst and in many cases it can save countless lives.

Elementary schools having "panic rooms" or lessons on what to do in the event of a hostile takeover is terribly disturbing to say the least... But the bottom line is that if it saves lives... IT SAVES LIVES... and that is the most important thing.

The illusion of safety is a dangerous thing.

#32 Aquavibe

Aquavibe

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 41 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 04:12 PM

There's really just four ways to die. Accident, disease, murder, and suicide. They all have their pros and cons. IMO, Murder is the worst. You're alive and then then the actions of some other person cause you to die. It's so useless and unneeded. Accident - for the one who dies, it's probably the best way. They're just so random and they will always happen no matter what - they're accidents. Disease - that can go both ways - you can suffer for years and the die, or you die of something like a sudden heart attack. And everything in between.

That leaves suicide. You're the one who decides. We all feel suicidal at some point, but most of us don't act on it. When one is at the point where they are suicidal, you know there's some bad shit going on. When they do it, it's a tragic loss but still, IMO, it was their choice and on some level you have to respect their decision. At least I do. Now, here's what I'm getting to:

There should be a pro-suicide movement that puts fourth a certain message to those who are on the edge of suicide. That message is - If you're feeling destructive, like you want to kill and you want to die and it has to happen now - START WITH YOURSELF! And if you want people to get over your suicide and maybe have some respect for you, leave a note saying "I was gonna go to the school (or mall, or whatever) and kill people and then kill myself, but I decided to spare everyone the misery and kill myself first". Maybe some screwed up shut-in with destructive tendencies and a closet full of guns will get the message and act on it before before doing what this Newtown CT guy did.

#33 Leng

Leng

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 43 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:19 PM

How to prevent school shootings:

[Direct Link]

#34 firerat

firerat

Why am I so thirsty....

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,033 posts

Donator

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:16 AM

My wife and I watched a special report last night that was supposed to be a memorial for the victims.

In the 30 minutes of watching, the killer's name was mentioned 9 times.

The victims, once.

#35 EstimatedProphet

EstimatedProphet

Bearer of Light

• Expired Member
  • 2,440 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:31 AM

My wife and I watched a special report last night that was supposed to be a memorial for the victims.

The victims, once.

Yeah because people love drama, I don't even watch TV anymore because it makes me mentally ill.

This might sound strange but it makes sense why people would be more interested in the killer than the victims, because anyone can be a victim but people want to see how the killer became a psycho ya dig? In our cookie cutter life we are all curious what pushed this young man over the edge, we all want to point a finger and judge.

I say be a witness not a judge. This is not shocking at all, in fact when a decent amount of time goes by and someone hasn't shot up a public area it's then that I get nervous because I start waiting for the next big thing to happen and hopefully it's not so big that tons of people get harmed. This might seem like a twisted way of thought to some of you but I say I am just shell shocked from being exposed to so much violence, death, drama in my life. One way or another this darkness has got to give.

#36 Aquavibe

Aquavibe

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 41 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:42 AM

The victims, once.

Good observation. I've always felt that when referring to a person like this, you should never use their name. Like the POS that shot John Lennon. If it was his attempt to "make a name for himself", don't give him that.

#37 Aquavibe

Aquavibe

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 41 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:20 AM

Coming up next after these messages - the 911 calls!

WTF? They shouldn't be playing that shit. Soon people won't want to make 911 calls because two days later it's broadcast on the news. That's wrong.. we don't need to hear that stuff.

#38 Sickmanlives

Sickmanlives

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 794 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:21 AM

I don't know how I feel about this just yet. I feel sickened and very sad for the families that are dealing with this right now. I can't express any words about how I feel. It should have never happened.

They will always control and manipulate the masses into thinking what they want you to think. We are in what is called a manipulated control group. We are all experiments in their projects. Do I think this has been planned? Yes. Do I think that they don't want the homeowner to have guns? Yes. Do I think they want us controlled? Yes. Do I feel that they want us controlled? Yes. Do I feel like this will happen in the near future? Yes. Do I think they want one rule world order? YES. This all has been predicted and stated numerous times and yet, nobody can grasp the idea that this is what they want. Because why in the world would the real leaders of this country be crooks? Do your homework if you don't believe me, it's out there.

[Direct Link]

[Direct Link]

#39 EstimatedProphet

EstimatedProphet

Bearer of Light

• Expired Member
  • 2,440 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 11:11 AM

I don't know how I feel about this just yet. I feel sickened and very sad for the families that are dealing with this right now. I can't express any words about how I feel. It should have never happened.

They will always control and manipulate the masses into thinking what they want you to think. We are in what is called a manipulated control group. We are all experiments in their projects. Do I think this has been planned? Yes. Do I think that they don't want the homeowner to have guns? Yes. Do I think they want us controlled? Yes. Do I feel that they want us controlled? Yes. Do I feel like this will happen in the near future? Yes. Do I think they want one rule world order? YES. This all has been predicted and stated numerous times and yet, nobody can grasp the idea that this is what they want. Because why in the world would the real leaders of this country be crooks? Do your homework if you don't believe me, it's out there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijvMVaepv0A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Pc3ps4OurQ

I was just embedding those vids, carry on.

#40 Sickmanlives

Sickmanlives

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 794 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 12:23 PM

Good stuff in those vids, carried on...

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!