57 replies to this topic

#41 Il19z8rn4li1

Il19z8rn4li1

Green Thumb Blue Thumb

• Expired Member
  • 3,659 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:45 AM

I didnt like the "green" taste in my rice crispy treats so I just found out about washing butter. One wash made it very much less planty even though it is still greener. I think I will do a second wash since longer ones dont seem to hurt anyone elses butter.

amen to that :)

I use a crock pot as well.

But i leave it on LOW, add my butter melt it.

take my cracker dry bud, throw it in a food processor... blend for about 2seconds and pour into melted butter
then I top off the crock pot with boiling hot water. Mix well.

then i simply let that sit on LOW for 24 hours, mixing every hour or 2.

it smells AMAZING when cooking :)

:)

#42 Shadowlord

Shadowlord

Shadowmancer.

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,009 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:41 PM

lalways use an excessive amount of water when making my butter. The butter and water separate very well and the brown, awful looking and smelling water removed makes for much better tasting butter.
I usually make butter from trim and make a lb per run using anywhere from 40-60g of trim now that I use lecithin. Used to be 100g. Bear in mind this is for potent butter. Me and my fellow growers who smoke all the time can eat a couple cookies but a lot of our friends who don't smoke so heavily will be wrecked by one and some even break pieces off, making a cookie last four nights :lol:
I simmer my butter/water mixture, stirring often, for 3-4 hrs.
I use an old shirt to strain out all the solids and squeeze everything I can out. Then I use a baster to suck up and remove most of the water. Using a large pyrex bowl helps as you can see the line of separation. Once i start getting close to being done, I pour it all into a smaller container and place in fridge ( or freezer if in a hurry ) and the butter will solidify and you can flip over in the sink and get your puck of clean cannabutter.
Also, it is a great idea to use soy lecithin both in the butter and then again in your baked goods. The lecithin helps the magic bond to the fats in the butter better and also makes it more bio available to you. My cookies have been far more potent since the addition of lecithin. Thanks to [user]PsyBearknot[/user] for clueing me in on it.

Edited by Shadowlord, 20 January 2013 - 01:51 PM.

• bigjimmy likes this

#43 mate0x

mate0x

st0ned

• OG VIP
  • 4,607 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:47 PM

My cookies have been far more potent since the addition of lecithin.

I have been meaning to try that since his posts, glad to hear its an upgrade :D

#44 Shadowlord

Shadowlord

Shadowmancer.

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,009 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:55 PM

I have been meaning to try that since his posts, glad to hear its an upgrade :D

Do it, you won't be sorry.
I got the liquid form, thinking that would work easier for cooking/baking. Cost me all of $7 bucks I believe. And me and my Lady ( and most my friends ) can attest to the bump in potency.

#45 Lodi

Lodi

Pick door #3

• Expired Member
  • 357 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 02:05 PM

You know I never thought of adding lecithin to cannabutter. I have added it to my kava shakes for years.

Same with the kavalactones, you have to mix it with cold milk (the fat) and add lecithin for a far more potent shake. Heat destroys the kavalactones though so there is no cook needed, just a 5 min blend with milk and lecithin and then you strain and drink, and thats when you realize the power behind kava. To many people fuck up making a kava drink they dont ever get to experience the true glory in it.
  • TheObserver likes this

#46 Shadowlord

Shadowlord

Shadowmancer.

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,009 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 January 2013 - 02:11 PM

I've had hit and miss luck with kava. A former sponsor has a whole fleet of kava varieties that they just started carrying and I may try going through them. The new age store I got my kava at may not have had the freshest of stuff. Need to strain it to help the taste and consistency next time :lol:
Not sure what I did wrong when I used the lecithin as I had a better experience the first time without. Will probably use the blender next time as the cold milk made the lecithin not want to blend in so well. Kava is great when done right. :)

#47 Lodi

Lodi

Pick door #3

• Expired Member
  • 357 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:04 PM

Kona-kava is a company that owns some kava farms in Hawaii. It is very high quality and very fresh, I usually use about 2 tbsp per glass, sometimes I will do up to 6 for maximum effect. Even without the lecithin the kava from these people works very well done with the method I stated above, but with the right amount of it you get a much more potent and euphoric experience.

#48 Lodi

Lodi

Pick door #3

• Expired Member
  • 357 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:23 PM

tried doing a side by side, with two batches of edibles.

both were 75 grams of powdered trim, with 3.5 grams of dry sift taken out of each one. both cooked for 1:45, 2 sticks of unsalted butter each batch.

batch A- no soy lecithin. Went fine, made about 130 fairly potent edibles, 2 knocked me on my ass.
Batch B- soy lecithin. 2 tbsp. Havent made the cookies yet, just butter, keep reading for this.

First off, the lecithin does something to the butter that does not allow me to fully wring it out like I normally would be able to. At first its fine, but towards the end it started thickening up, and it was like trying to squeeze regular hardened butter through my cloth. I reheated it in microwave and tried again but it was the same thing. So I put back into the pot with a little water and tried again but nothing. I gave up because I was burning my hands but it still was not soft. REALLY STRANGE.

Maybe it thickened some of the butter because I added to much, does anyone know a good amount of lecethin to use per stick, or pound of oil or butter?

I always lose a little butter that I cant squeeze out of my plant matter. But with the lecithin batch i lost like a half stick out of 2. Which is alot, I am hoping the added potency will make up for it!

Any ideas? Lets get this thread going again.

#49 mate0x

mate0x

st0ned

• OG VIP
  • 4,607 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:54 PM

So the soy lecithin is water soluble, I think you want to use it with double boiler methods.

Sounds like maybe too much as well, it is an emulsifier.

I need to buy some and play with it too!

#50 Pachanoi

Pachanoi

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 146 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:46 AM

Because its an emulsifier you don't want to add it to a trim water/butter slurry. If I am working straight from trim I put the plant matter in the over at 225• for 20 minutes, take it out and it's decarboxylated, yay, much more potent for edibles. Then I would put it in a pot, cover with water, add a stick or two of unsalted butter to it, kick the flame down as low as possible and let it chill for a couple hours. Off the heat, let cool to room temp. Toss in fridge. Take out and scrape butter layer off top, dry on cardboard. Put in a pan, for every stick of butter I use a teaspoon of soy lecithin. It does make a difference. Really. So does decarbing. Huge difference. I really prefer making hash out of the trim, decarbing that then adding it to the butter or coconut oil and add the lecithin. But not everyone has hash bags and a cement mixer. But yea, add the lecithin to the actual butter to help make the cannabinoids more absorbable. I had a dozen hash cookies today, gonna pass out now. Enjoy!

#51 Lodi

Lodi

Pick door #3

• Expired Member
  • 357 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:50 AM

I decarbed and all that like I normally do with both batches, so your saying after I do my cook then I add the lecethin to the butter?

#52 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 5,437 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:22 PM

For my oil I will use 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon of the liquid in the oil to start the extraction then add the same amount after the oil is strained from the plant material. The original post that I got this info from used about the same amount but powered.

I have not used butter since nor have I tried it with butter.

Lodi how much did you use? It sounds like the emulsifying properties caused the issue. Sucks to loose all that material.

#53 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 5,437 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:27 PM

Just did a search on the net and found several butter recipes that state you add the soy letchin at the end after you have strained the butter or it will cause the same issue you discovered. Again it sucks that this happened but glad to know this info so thanks for the unfortunate mistake.

#54 hallroyal

hallroyal

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 04:38 AM

This thread is awesome! I read through all the posts at least twice before I cooked tonight. I couple of differences in my process is that I'm using nothing but duff, aka vaped mj. I looked and looked for a thread on using duff, but found this one so I jumped on it! Hope that is cool... Anyway I used 95g of duff to 1lb of butter. I warmed the water, added butter, and added duff; keeping it in between a simmer and a boil for 4 hours. Strained REALLY well with fine mesh strainer and cheesecloth and now the butter/water is in the fridge separating like crazy! separation.jpeg The last time I made duff budder I used 1lb of butter to around 40g of duff and the potency was not where I wanted it. I also used a crockpot for six hours but no water involved at all. I'm hoping that this method will increase potency along with increasing the duff by more than double! Let me know what others are doing with there duff and I will keep you posted on how this turned out.

Attached Thumbnails

• butter water.jpeg
  • duff.jpeg

#55 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

May your tracks be lost...

• App Administrator
  • 8,825 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:59 PM

Just finishing up a batch of oil.

1.Started with 4 cups of vegetable oil.

2.Added all of the oil to 8-10 cups of water and gently boiled them both for one hour with two big handfulls of trim, stirring frequently.

3.Strained this, saved the oil and discarded the now brown water.

4.Then I added the oil back to fresh water and boiled again for one hour with half an ounce of Death Star bud.

5.I put these together in a pitcher and stirred the hell out of them with a whisk for a minute.

6.Let them separate, collected 2 and 1/2 cups of wonderful smelling green vegetable oil.

We start baking tomorrow, with Soy Lecithin. Should be a doozy! I'm excited.

Thanks for the great tips here. :)

#56 Zze

Zze

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:40 PM

2.Added all of the oil to 8-10 cups of water and gently boiled them both for one hour with two big handfulls of trim, stirring frequently.

4.Then I added the oil back to fresh water and boiled again for one hour with half an ounce of Death Star bud.

5.I put these together in a pitcher and stirred the hell out of them with a whisk for a minute.

6.Let them separate, collected 2 and 1/2 cups of wonderful smelling green vegetable oil.

Really like using coconut oil instead of butter/vegetable , its made to be heated an it thickens up nicely in the fridge :) cheers

#57 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 5,437 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 March 2013 - 01:58 PM

I just saw the method of water and oil like you have done. Interesting method. Only difference is they put the oil/water in the freezer for ease of removing the water from the oil. Why did you only recover 2 1/2 cups when you started with 4??

Also they did a decarb on the oil in a double boiler with an oil bath after.

Would you have to strain out the bud at this point. I would think it would crash out of the oil into the water and then freeze into the water?

Edited by PsyBearknot, 11 March 2013 - 02:03 PM.

#58 hallroyal

hallroyal

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 01:54 AM

Alright so I baked a batch of easy oatmeal chocolate cookies with my duff budder and they turned out fantastic! My wife and I ate two each and we loved the potency and the high. I felt that it was a much more mellow high than other edibles, it makes you want to veg out more than be active imo! Either way, tripling the recipe for duff and using the water wash was great and I believe I've got a great recipe on my hands for making potent budder from recycled! Thanks so much guys!

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!