• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 pskovinsky

pskovinsky

Ex-chat M0d of Doom, y3

• Expired Member
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 11:33 PM

Cleanjars excellent red button poem got me thinking...

Should live have an eject button?

I'm not talking about suicide, thats different.

I mean like ejecting from a current mess, into a totaly different situation, like moving to a new country, but less hassle.

If there was such a thing, would you use it?

#2 Guest_paw_*

Guest_paw_*

Posted 21 September 2004 - 11:46 PM

We need specifics

#3 Guest_cleanjar_*

Guest_cleanjar_*

Posted 21 September 2004 - 11:58 PM

^^^^what paw paw said

#4 shedthemonkey

shedthemonkey

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 22 September 2004 - 12:16 AM

I think what Pskov means is like in the old Astroids Deluxe and Defender video games, they had a "Hyperspace" button that would zip your ship to some other random place on the board, theoretically in a better position, definately in a different position on the game screen. He means, i beleive, to have something like that magic red button in that cool poem, that if we had access and it would completely change our lives from the exact conditions to other conditions, would you use such a device? Example: you have just contracted a life threatening disease giving you a painful 2 months to live. Would you push this ONCE IN A LIFETIME button to try out some other life conditions, possibly a different mind, body, social station, etc.?

On a related note, anyone else see The Butterfly Effect? It kind of explores this idea. I think No, I would not want a button like that. Better than even chance to be in a worse situation than you start in.

Just my ¢ ¢.

Posted Image

#5 fish

fish

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 September 2004 - 12:21 AM

and I believe the answer is yes one should exist and yes i would use it.

With every day I learn more about the world around me and the events that transpire. I find that sometimes I wish that I could uproot from where I live and live in a different place. Such as it is my believe that I should have been born in the mountains in a colder climate but I wasnt.

On another note. When life just seems to come to and end and days start to blend together and change very little. I would love to uproot and move.

anywho ..just my 2 cents

#6 pskovinsky

pskovinsky

Ex-chat M0d of Doom, y3

• Expired Member
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 22 September 2004 - 10:17 AM

Shed got the description roughly right, basicly just a button that changes everything randomly.

So if pushed when your life is in the shitter, you have nothing, etc. theres a decent chance of things getting better.

But if it just seems like your life is toast, but really it isn't, pushing it would be a very chancy thing.

Personaly, i wouldn't push it, my life at this moment is... well, fucked, but it's going to get better, and i have lots of good options that i might not have after the eject button...

#7 Guest_i_am_me_*

Guest_i_am_me_*

Posted 22 September 2004 - 01:14 PM

The best thing is that life does have that button....it just takes your own will and determination to push it.

#8 pskovinsky

pskovinsky

Ex-chat M0d of Doom, y3

• Expired Member
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 22 September 2004 - 01:38 PM

I suppose... I'm pushing it and going to japan in late december, that should be interesting...
Hopefully my post-push setup will be better then my current one :P

#9 rio

rio

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 515 posts

Posted 22 September 2004 - 03:20 PM

Japan is a beautiful country! You will love it there!
I lived there for 7 months in my early twenties.
If you do not speak Japanese, start studying now, I never did pick up much of the language,
it is a hard language to learn.

About the red button/eject button, I was diagnosed with Breast cancer 2 years ago. I am fine now, but There is an automatic red/eject button that happens in your brain, when you are faced with your own mortality. Your whole life and way of living changes completely. You live life in a different way than you ever did before, it is hard to explain, all I can say is; LIFE IS SHORT.

#10 Guest_inajar_*

Guest_inajar_*

Posted 23 September 2004 - 01:24 AM

Many times in my life (including now, actually), I wished that there was a button to get my out of a situation and into a better circumstance. Sometimes it was because my life was getting hard, grinding, or maybe just boring.

But I think that I am put in every situation for a reason. Maybe to get some sort of lesson or become stronger, I don't know for sure. But I do know that if I had a magic red button to push when things got tight, I don't think that I would be who I am. I'd probably have a lot less perspective or have a more trivial nature.

So an eject button would make things a lot easier, but it still may not be the most desirable thing....

#11 Guest_loaf_*

Guest_loaf_*

Posted 23 September 2004 - 04:43 PM

Like an idiot I set off for a cycling trip from New York in February…my intent was to never stay in a hotel…or ever pay for lodging in the next year. Anywho…I spent the first 2.5-3 weeks camping and living on the snow…hard ass fucking shit to say the least. First night out it went below zero! Nothing like waking up in a tent then putting on frozen shoes just to do 60-70 miles on a bicycle in temps not much warmer..then repeat for weeks…I was heading due south to beat this crap.

The point is..I would lay in my tent freezing my ass off thinking if I had a button to push that would instantly put me in warmer climate would I push it?…I seriously wouldn’t (and couldn’t! haha). I knew I would eventually be sleeping more comfortably eventually and just toughed it out. Pain is what defines life and without it you cannot experience true joy. I still look back at the nights I spent in the desert and/or the Rockies sleeping under the stars in no tent. Completely comfortable. Fucking amazing! And it was the pain and anticipation that defined those moments that I can still remember vividly. Don’t take the easy way out! Peace.

-swd

#12 Guest_cleanjar_*

Guest_cleanjar_*

Posted 24 September 2004 - 10:15 PM

watch the movie 'lost in translation'
its with bill murray and is filmed
in tokoyo, japan, entirely.

#13 Guest_thoth_*

Guest_thoth_*

Posted 24 September 2004 - 10:43 PM

Eject? Why, this trip is so much fun! Enjoy the ride, and realize its not even a second of your real existance. Its just a trip..

#14 Guest_psycho_*

Guest_psycho_*

Posted 25 September 2004 - 01:27 PM

The only eject button i would care for is a safe deposit box with money and a new passport to wisk me to a new country in an emergency,other than that i would not change a thing in my life.although i would want a passport for each friend alsoPosted Image.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!